Report Cards for tonights game

ladyJET2280

The QBs all looked good

Running game was bad, Chatman and Washington were the two best out there

Recievers looks good

TEs Were good

Offensive line was good in pass protection, but the penalties kinda take away from that, as well as the run blocking.

Defense was top notch outside of being pushed around a bit on running plays, seemed to happen more with the second stringers though.

All of the QB's looked very sharp, passing game overall was very impressive. Had it not been for some costly penalties we would have put up a lot more points in the 1st half.

The running game looks pretty bad, Thomas Jones is still awful. Leon showed some sparks as did Chatman with the #2 line. Overall though, I'm pretty worried about this.

The Defense was much, much improved, best I've seen from them in a long time. Calvin Pace and David Harris both played great games, having those two in our LB core will be exciting as Hell to watch. Jenkins was an absolute monster in the middle, so glad to see him stepping up. Hopefully the D can keep it up, they played well vs an incredibly strong unit. 3 sacks of Eli Manning (2 from Pace, 1 from Harris) is outstanding.

The main issue I had with the game were penalties, ****ing awful. So much good play was wiped out with stupid penalties. A real downer on an overall good performance.

Happy enough with where we're at right now, think we're in great shape for week 1 if we can get the penalties sorted.

All of the QB's looked very sharp, passing game overall was very impressive. Had it not been for some costly penalties we would have put up a lot more points in the 1st half.

Did the live stream show a different game?

We would have had a TD, but really that was about it.

The running game looks pretty bad, Thomas Jones is still awful. Leon showed some sparks as did Chatman with the #2 line. Overall though, I'm pretty worried about this.

Our Running game is bad, regardless of RB right now. Our OL is a pass blocking line it appears.

Did the live stream show a different game?

We would have had a TD, but really that was about it.

Our Running game is bad, regardless of RB right now. Our OL is a pass blocking line it appears.

We would have had a TD, but wasn't there another big play to Smith wiped out on a completely different drive. Who knows what would have happened had there have been 0 penalties.

I agree that our running game is bad, I stated that. Still, Leon looked better than Jones in the limited time that both recieved. I was pointing that out.

Here is my very unprofessional RC, so ontbe too hard on me fellas:

Brett Favre hasnt lost a step. He looked great, he even rushed for a 1st down. Love the versatility. He had twopowerfulthrows that were on the money, had we not had those bone headed penalties, he wouldve probably had two more TD's!

Kellen Clemens looked better than he did in the previous 2 games, especially with those 2 4th down conversions.

Brett Ratliff looked really good, had he not had that interception it wouldve been better, but that touchdown pass was beautiful. He puts some zip on that ball.

Our 1st team Defense looked really good. Calvin Pace is solid. Vernon still needs work, but he had a couple of good tackles. I say give him some time but he still better step it the eff up.

Dwight Effing Lowery!!! Guys, I think we have a player here! he's been impressive so far.

Chatman impressed me again with his aggressive running style. ( why is he on the 2nd team again?)

Yeesh@ Thomas Jones, he's a beautiful man but ugh he doesnt do much to help the running game at all. Loen Washington looked a lot better.

That is all! :D

Quaterbacks: B-. This would be an A if it wasnt for all the stupid penalities. Clemens didnt look as bad as I thought he would be, but still Ratliff made the plays. Even after his terrible INT, he came right back and marched downfield for a TD. How soon before Ratliff takes the #2 spot??

Running backs: D. Horrible running game. Even after a good passing game, it didnt help open the running game. I agree Jones was mediocre, Washington was better but still not good.

Wide receivers: B. Cotchery had a really nice long catch fro Favre. B. Smith looked good as a starter this game.

Defense: A++. I dont remember seeing this defense in any of the last two preseason games. They looked great. Pace stood out and Harris was his usual playmaking self. Jenkins made some noise too. Lowery still looked pretty solid and Coleman had a nice INT at the end of the game. Great stuff all around, pass rush looked 10x better, and run defense stepped up too.

We would have had a TD, but wasn't there another big play to Smith wiped out on a completely different drive. Who knows what would have happened had there have been 0 penalties.

EXACTLY. Who knows... in other words, "we would not have had a ton of points." 14 max, 7 min. neither = ton.

Guys and Gals,

Give me the report card on tonights game!

Offense: C- . Run game was poor. Penalties were just stupid.

Running Game: D-Chatman is our best tackle to tackle back. Jones is just stupid. Still, there are two new guys on the line and the run blocking always comes along slowest.

Passing Game-B Pretty good protection. Favre. Clemens and Ratliff all threw well. Clemens failed to see a wide open TE near the Giants goal line. Ratliff's INT was ugly. Smith actually hung on to a few and made some nice catches. Stuckey was nowhere to be found. Keller looked good. cotchery looked very good with two long gains (one nullified by penalty)

Defense: B+

Good pressure. Still a bit soft on run. But I think they will be good this year. Jenkins looks like he will be special. Pace and Harris should be really good. The secondary played well with Lowery in there. Smith is just a little slow footed. Of course, there was no Plaxico.

Special Teams: C

Nothing special about them the last two games.

Quaterbacks: B-. This would be an A if it wasnt for all the stupid penalities. Clemens didnt look as bad as I thought he would be, but still Ratliff made the plays. Even after his terrible INT, he came right back and marched downfield for a TD. How soon before Ratliff takes the #2 spot??

You know what is great about Brett Favre being your QB? Who is #2 vs #3 is completely irrelevant. At least it has been for 16 years. Let's hope it continues for at least another 2 years.

Offense - Excellent in the passing game. All the QB's played well. Cotchery, Keller, and Brad Smith stood out in the receiving core. As others said, the running game was pretty poor overall. The only one that really showed much was Washington. I'm some what surprised that the line seems only mediocre in run blocking. I thought it would be the other way around with the run blocking being much more improved than pass protection. Obviously, terrible penalties and that can't happen. Hopefully it was an abberation.

Defense - Looks much improved. Jenkins is a beast and his ability to actually play the NT position correctly will do wonders for our defense. Pass rush also looked great. Pace was great, as was our ability to get to the QB overall. All that being said, they still need some work stopping the run. I'd say they were solid, at best, in that regard, but I'll take that right now considering we were terrible against it last year.

Side note - Gholston seems to be getting better every week so I'm encouraged. He still doesn't look completely comfortable but, other than 1 or 2 rookie mistakes, I think he had a solid game overall. He's consistantly showing that he knows what he's doing when it comes to putting pressure on the QB, its when he's asked to do other things that he shows his weaknesses. I think as the season goes on he'll become more and more of a complete player. But, even early on, he should make an impact as a situational pass rusher.

F- from me goes to the Meadowlands and NJ Sports Authority. It took over an hour getting into the stadium from the Turnpike exit. What? Six lanes of traffic going into one bottleneck. Then--even with a parking pass--sent into satellite parking, which resulted in a mad dash trying to get to the seats before kickoff. No luck, we missed the introductions and first four minutes of the game, which was a disappointment for all, but especially my 10 year-old son. We don't get to too many games anymore, so the absurd system they have put in place for the fans is shocking. I can't imagine what a cluster f**k it's going to be with a full--regular season--house. My advice: give yourself 4-5 hours to get there. We allotted over two hours (a ridiculous amount of time for our commute), and still got banged.

As for the team, the only person that stuck out for us was Clemens. Pray Favre doesn't get hurt, because Clemens looks horrible out there.

How exactly did Clemens look 'horrible'?

IMO that was by far and away his best performance, I though he was solid enough.

I agree that it was his "best" performance, just not a good one IMO. This is one of those "intangibles", as Mangini calls them. His actions in the pocket just look shaky. Almost like he's ready to bail on the play before it starts. This was not only my opinion, but several other Jet fans in my section. My wife also noted that he often has trouble getting the ball cleanly from center, and that he holds it low, so that it has a decent chance of being knocked out. I know he was playing with mostly second teamers, but you felt a real drop off when he came in. On a positive note--even with his silly throw for an INT--Ratliff had a swagger about him when he entered the game and ran the offense, something Clemens is missing.

I agree that it was his "best" performance, just not a good one IMO. This is one of those "intangibles", as Mangini calls them. His actions in the pocket just look shaky. Almost like he's ready to bail on the play before it starts. This was not only my opinion, but several other Jet fans in my section. My wife also noted that he often has trouble getting the ball cleanly from center, and that he holds low so that it has a decent chance of being knocked out. I know he was playing with mostly second teamers, but you felt a real drop off when he came in. On a positive note--even with his silly throw for an INT--Ratliff had a swagger about him when he entered the game and ran the offense, something Clemens is missing.

I agree that he still doesn't look comfortable in the pocket but I still find it hard to complain about his performance overall. He converted 2 4th downs and hit a an amazing throw downfield to Keller. Overall I was pretty happy with what I saw from Kellen yesterday, his mechanics and style still worry me but his performance as a whole was pretty good IMO.

I agree that he still doesn't look comfortable in the pocket but I still find it hard to complain about his performance overall. He converted 2 4th downs and hit a an amazing throw downfield to Keller. Overall I was pretty happy with what I saw from Kellen yesterday, his mechanics and style still worry me but his performance as a whole was pretty good IMO.

Good call on the Keller throw. I actually stood up and yelled "that's what we want from you". That ball was accurate and really zipped. I don't know what's in his head that's holding him back, but you wish Clemens brought that attitude and skill to every play.

Yeah, you nailed it. That's been the problem with Kellen since he's been here - Consistency.

He shows flashes of what he could be (Baltimore game, Pittsburgh game) but never keeps it up. I was glad that he showed something yesterday, but am still far from convinced that he's going to be a good NFL QB.

I have a couple of observations. Caveat: I stayed up until 2AM to watch the game on the SNY re-cast, so I wasn't making a deep study of every play.

Having said that, I get the sense that Clemens just isn't comfortable. I have had this suspicion since an interview I saw shortly after he was drafted - that he would really rather be ranching in Oregon, than playing in the NFL.

Thomas Jones - He really isn't awful - he had 1,119 yards in maybe our worst season ever. But it seems to me that the blocking schemes are different for him, than for Neon Leon or Chatman. When either of those guys was running, it seems that they would pull a strong side lineman to overload the weak side D (or vice versa) and make a little hole for one of these scatbacks. (Remember when the Jets used to have Kevin Mawae doing that? What a thing of beauty.) But I don't remember a single Jones run, where he was asked to do anything other than run it straight into a traffic jamb. It seems like a lot of effort has gone into planning schemes for the change-up RB's, but none for the any-down workhorse. Odd.

I have a couple of observations. Caveat: I stayed up until 2AM to watch the game on the SNY re-cast, so I wasn't making a deep study of every play.

Having said that, I get the sense that Clemens just isn't comfortable. I have had this suspicion since an interview I saw shortly after he was drafted - that he would really rather be ranching in Oregon, than playing in the NFL.

Thomas Jones - He really isn't awful - he had 1,119 yards in maybe our worst season ever. But it seems to me that the blocking schemes are different for him, than for Neon Leon or Chatman. When either of those guys was running, it seems that they would pull a strong side lineman to overload the weak side D (or vice versa) and make a little hole for one of these scatbacks. (Remember when the Jets used to have Kevin Mawae doing that? What a thing of beauty.) But I don't remember a single Jones run, where he was asked to do anything other than run it straight into a traffic jamb. It seems like a lot of effort has gone into planning schemes for the change-up RB's, but none for the any-down workhorse. Odd.

Is he asked to dance around before running 'straight into a traffic jam' because that's what I'm seeing. Jones has nothing that will worry a defense, he wont break tackles, he wont burn any backs with his moves and he sure as Hell wont burn them with his speed. He's an average back. At best.

Is he asked to dance around before running 'straight into a traffic jam' because that's what I'm seeing. Jones has nothing that will worry a defense, he wont break tackles, he wont burn any backs with his moves and he sure as Hell wont burn them with his speed. He's an average back. At best.

I would not have said this when we signed him, but now believe you are correct. Let's hope we are wrong and that he shows us something in the regular season. Percentage chance I think this will happen: 40.

My only gripe with him last night was that he cut loose that goal line pass to Stuckey too early, with no chance of a completion, and the tight end was wide open over the middle for a TD. (Greg) Butthead said he was under pressure. I didn't see it but it was irrelevant. He was close enough to the goal line to risk a sack. He should have checked his other options. They would still have had an easy field goal. All that work, like 10 minutes, to get there and then he throws the ball away at the goal line. Kind of like something Chad would do. Otherwise he threw the ball well. He wasn't trying to put it through a wall like he was the week before. Ratliff still looks more confident than Clemens. Of course, he doesn't have as much to lose.

I think Jones is his own worst enemy. The Jet OLine is slowly taking shape. Run blocking effectively as a unit takes time, no doubt. But Jones does not hit the hole quickly enough. He dances in the hole, or hesitates, and then it is gone. He is not quick. There are no decisions here, just instincts. He had a lot of mediocre years when he first came into the league. He seemd to find himself in Chicago. Looks like he has lost himself again.

I would not have said this when we signed him, but now believe you are correct. Let's hope we are wrong and that he shows us something in the regular season. Percentage chance I think this will happen: 40.

When he had his big year his signature move was when he broke the tackle at the line and took it outside. He was very effective at trampling safeties. That ability appears to have vanished. He has stopped breaking tackles

Jets Defense is going to be a shut down defense, and DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. David Harris has the potential to be the best LB in the NFL. I dont know whats going on with V Gholston ,They must be giving him to much to think about with the X's and O's, instead of just letting him loose. Lowery has looked like the 1st rounder instead of VG. I think Lowery is gonna be the other starting CB by week 3. I hope M. Murrell makes team he keeps getting better each week.

Looks like Bret Ratliff is the jets Qb of the future, the guy has good pocket presence, I know its against 2nd and 3rd team, but he is also playing with 2nd and 3rd team.

When he had his big year his signature move was when he broke the tackle at the line and took it outside. He was very effective at trampling safeties. That ability appears to have vanished. He has stopped breaking tackles

Nice comment. Thanks for the insight. BTW, I went to school in Potsdam. I hope you're not that far north.

Jones has nothing that will worry a defense, he wont break tackles, he wont burn any backs with his moves and he sure as Hell wont burn them with his speed. He's an average back. At best.

And yet, he was able to run for more than 1,100 yards behind an awful Oline. What is your analysis based on?

And yet, he was able to run for more than 1,100 yards behind an awful Oline. What is your analysis based on?

LOL, anyone could get 1000 with enough carries. Total yards mean nothing when the RB is getting 3.6 YPV, which is absolutely awful regardless of the line.

LOL, anyone could get 1000 with enough carries. Total yards mean nothing when the RB is getting 3.6 YPV, which is absolutely awful regardless of the line.

Wow! Did you really say that? I'm sorry, and I am not trying to pick a fight, but that is really dumb. 1120 Yds = moving the football down the field 70 Yds per game. Some wideouts don't average that. Laveranues Coles only exceed that average twice, with 79 YPG in '02, and 75.3 in '03. Curtis Martin averaged 3.6 YPG in '96. and 3.5 in '98, and he went to the ProBowl both times with those stats. 3.6 YPG isn't great, but it sure ain't "awful".

Jets Defense is going to be a shut down defense, and DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. David Harris has the potential to be the best LB in the NFL. I dont know whats going on with V Gholston ,They must be giving him to much to think about with the X's and O's, instead of just letting him loose. Lowery has looked like the 1st rounder instead of VG. I think Lowery is gonna be the other starting CB by week 3. I hope M. Murrell makes team he keeps getting better each week.

Looks like Bret Ratliff is the jets Qb of the future, the guy has good pocket presence, I know its against 2nd and 3rd team, but he is also playing with 2nd and 3rd team.

Last I checked, scoring more points than your opponent in playoff games after making the playoffs wins championships. 10-7 or 35-31, it's a win.

Scoring more points than your opponent in playoff games " DAH " I cant believe you even had to go check that, Thats something you should of known without having to check, Thats the object of the game, it goes without saying, no having to google necessary. But i guess there is always one in the bunch that does have to check even the most common sense things in sports. On your behalf ill say " Thank GOD for google".

most championship games are the teams with good defenses . Defense wins championships is not my quote, its widely used in sports . Last teams to win championships repeated that quote The Celtics stifling defense, and Giants passrush defense was quoted as what got them the ring. You can CHECK

Archived