Can I get an O-Line summary?

JerryK

Hi All,

I'm sorry if this is really rudimentary, but I haven't had the time to track the line's players this offseason/preseason.

Can someone provide a summary of our chances this year, with this group?

The fantasy line-rankings people are saying the Packers had a great line, which makes me wonder if we offer Favre the same protection. (you know, like we protected Chad's hand and Curtis's ankles)

Will he survive the season?

:confused:

long story short the Jets could have a top 10 OL this year. They could have a Top 3 OL this year. They are totally transformed.

-Dbrick looks bigger and tougher, already put Osi Umeniora on the IR

-Faneca is a beast. 7 time pro bowler and playing like he's going to an 8th

-Mangold is the best young center in the game, could be the best center period, he's that good - and fighting with Jenkins every day making him better.

-Moore has been doing solid work, especially in run blocking .

-Woody is also doing the job in the run game, and holds his own in pass protection

injuries will be the x factor but if they stay healthy it's the best Jets OL for a decade maybe longer.

oh and by the way Brett Farve hasn't missed a start maybe ever so the chances of him surviving the season are pretty good regardless. He isn't Chad. He can take a big hit and get right up, even at 38. And if he gets hurt he'll take all the medicine they have in the chest to get back out there.

Hi All,

I'm sorry if this is really rudimentary, but I haven't had the time to track the line's players this offseason/preseason.

Can someone provide a summary of our chances this year, with this group?

The fantasy line-rankings people are saying the Packers had a great line, which makes me wonder if we offer Favre the same protection. (you know, like we protected Chad's hand and Curtis's ankles)

Will he survive the season?

:confused:

I think the pass protection of this o-line will be very good.

D'Brick is bulked up some and has looked very good, particularly in pass protection.

Fanaca is more known for his run blocking, but he is no slouch at pass blocking and is a tremendous upgrade over Adrien Clark.

Mangold is solid at pass protection.

Moore is the one weak link. But you can get by with him as your fifth best lineman. Not last year, when he was the third best.

Woody has been solid at RT, and again, a huge upgrade over Anthony Clement.

It remains to be seen how and when this group will gel in run blocking. But I think they will.

I couldn't understand the Jet's playcalling when it came to running the ball during the preseason. They ran most of their plays Mangold, Moore, and Woody. I'm surprised they didn't do more between Faneca and Mangold, they are our two best run blockers, in my opinion. They would get bigger holes for the running backs like that, I wasn't impressed with our running game in the preseason at all.

Jets O Line can be average to great, depending in how they jell together. I don't kniow where the OL ranking you have came from, but the Packers OL has been atrocious thus far, with 2 new starters at G and C. Rogers has been runnijng for his life in the preseason.

I couldn't understand the Jet's playcalling when it came to running the ball during the preseason. They ran most of their plays Mangold, Moore, and Woody. I'm surprised they didn't do more between Faneca and Mangold, they are our two best run blockers, in my opinion. They would get bigger holes for the running backs like that, I wasn't impressed with our running game in the preseason at all.

the biggest thing about preseason is it's all vanilla. no one shows much of what they're capable of as evidenced by the use of mostly base packages/sets. if they show it all in preseason, it makes it easier for opposing teams to start game-planning against. by not rushing to the left during this preseason the jets have provided the league with a huge question mark as to how the running game is going to flow with regards to that side; at this point, all opposing teams have is speculation: how good are they? as good as the paper says? better? that's the beauty of keeping it simple before the RS kicks off. try not to worry about the reps, they get more than enough in practice (remember light workloads now for RBs can help keep legs fresh, which is important because RBs take a tremendous pounding throughout the course of a season) and, as the season progresses, the O-line chemistry will advance and the running game will follow suit.

long story short the Jets could have a top 10 OL this year. They could have a Top 3 OL this year. They are totally transformed.

-Dbrick looks bigger and tougher, already put Osi Umeniora on the IR

-Faneca is a beast. 7 time pro bowler and playing like he's going to an 8th

-Mangold is the best young center in the game, could be the best center period, he's that good - and fighting with Jenkins every day making him better.

-Moore has been doing solid work, especially in run blocking .

-Woody is also doing the job in the run game, and holds his own in pass protection

injuries will be the x factor but if they stay healthy it's the best Jets OL for a decade maybe longer.

oh and by the way Brett Farve hasn't missed a start maybe ever so the chances of him surviving the season are pretty good regardless. He isn't Chad. He can take a big hit and get right up, even at 38. And if he gets hurt he'll take all the medicine they have in the chest to get back out there.

Osi put himself on IR by getting his foot stuck, it really had nothing to do with the Brick. I agree with everything else you said though.

Osi put himself on IR by getting his foot stuck, it really had nothing to do with the Brick. I agree with everything else you said though.

yeah right... except for the fact Brick shoved him into that odd angle, nothing to do with Brick.

if the situation were reversed and Osi shoved Brick and Brick blew out his knee the story would be "Osi shelves Brick for the year"

that's what Brick does when he's on top of his game... he injures people. I saw with my own eyes Brick hurt Kiwaunka in Senior Bowl practices, before that drill, Kiwi was a top 10 pick, after Brick got done with him he almost fell out of the first round.

Let's not discount the fact that the NFL has become very much of a coaches league.

The better the coaching the better the overall performance of the players.

The Jets upgraded enormously in that department on the O-Line.

Wise was horrendous and Callahan (by all accounts) is outstanding.

That's another plus when considering how we'll be on the OLine this season.

Oh...plus a quick release.

Chad was like molasses releasing the ball...

JETS Oline looks great on paper , but the JETS aint running the ball like a contender should be running the ball, they do pass block pretty good which is better than last year, but come december Running game is going to be vital to winning games. No matter how great this defense been playing they aint gonna last being on the field most of the game. Running game is a C- and thats being generous

They've looked much improved in pass protection. They should be one of the better groups in that area. The run-blocking still leaves much to be desired though. It's some what improved over last year, but that's not saying much. They're still not opening up many holes for Jones and, considering he's only an above-average back at best, he needs a lot of help from the line. Hopefully they'll improve in that area as the season goes along but, at worst, they should be an average unit and they have the potential to be great.

I've been incredibly impressed from what I've seen so far. Our pass protection has been outstanding in the preseason, really outstanding. It's so refreshing to see our QB go back and have all day to throw, whereas last year (even in preseason) it was painfully obvious that our line was a shambles.

The main area of improvement is going to be at LT though IMO, D'Brick has finally bulked up to LT size and has been playing outstanding throughout Camp and pre-season. I think we finally will see the player The Jets had in mind when he went #4 overall.

I'm very honestly confident that Favre will have more than sufficient pass protection, I'm still not too impressed with the run blocking but hope that in due time it will be sorted.

It's a completely revamped group than the horrific line last season. My expectations are very high in that regard.

JETS Oline looks great on paper , but the JETS aint running the ball like a contender should be running the ball, they do pass block pretty good which is better than last year, but come december Running game is going to be vital to winning games. No matter how great this defense been playing they aint gonna last being on the field most of the game. Running game is a C- and thats being generous

They've looked much improved in pass protection. They should be one of the better groups in that area. The run-blocking still leaves much to be desired though. It's some what improved over last year, but that's not saying much. They're still not opening up many holes for Jones and, considering he's only an above-average back at best, he needs a lot of help from the line. Hopefully they'll improve in that area as the season goes along but, at worst, they should be an average unit and they have the potential to be great.

so, in roughly 3 quarters of play the two of you believe they've shown every formation & blocking scheme they're likely to run for the entire season? i'm not saying they're great, but i am saying there's more than what they've shown. moreover, this PS stopped being about getting the running game settled the minute the trade for favre was made. that's forced them to place a majority of the attention to teaching the old dog a few new tricks while also renaming all of his old ones. with that, the ground game becomes a work in progress as the season starts, but maybe it's better that way; maybe it'll allow the O-line to work its way into a groove and really start rolling when it counts: into and through the winter.

They havent shown every formation and blocking scheme but run blocking is more about getting a push off the line and with the talent up front , that push should be noticable even from the bleachers and in rushing yards and it hasnt been. Call me greedy I want to see offensive series with 8,9,10+ yards a carry almost every time a RB carries the ball , is that to much to ask.

There is nothing more dominating in football then running the ball down a teams throat and there is nothing they can do about it. We now have the studs up front to do that. That helps big time vs explosive Offensive teams like you know who.

Archived