Scouts Buzz: Why Dolphins offense will succeed

crashingjet

What made Griese so great was his teams rushing attack and the fact he could sell playaction very well.

Now, Im not by any means comparing Brown/Williams to Csonka/Kiick or Csonka/Morris, nor do I believe Chad is anything more than a stop-gap at the position, but you have to like the direction and identity thats being established by the Aqua and Orango do you not?

Don't sell chadwick short on playaction - he sells it well, better than most. But it's really his trick in the one trick pony story - he cant throw the ball many places well.

I think you guys did a great thing in getting Parcells in the picture. I don't care for him personally - but he's a damn good football mind.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess so. Cambers is 30. Welker is 27. Not spring-chickens but not "old" for the position.

I hear your Satele debate, but there's been a lot of decent young Centers coming out lately... I doubt he's the cream of that crop, and for the most part the 2007 draft sucked ass.

Don't sell chadwick short on playaction - he sells it well, better than most. But it's really his trick in the one trick pony story - he cant throw the ball many places well.

I think you guys did a great thing in getting Parcells in the picture. I don't care for him personally - but he's a damn good football mind.

If anything I was praising Chad for his playaction by comparing him to Griese. I agree about Parcells, I never liked him as a coach. But desperate times...

I guess so. Cambers is 30. Welker is 27. Not spring-chickens but not "old" for the position.

I hear your Satele debate, but there's been a lot of decent young Centers coming out lately... I doubt he's the cream of that crop, and for the most part the 2007 draft sucked ass.

Meh, Welker for Satele is a win IMO. Especially when you consider my Welker contract agrument. Plus, Welker is the product of a system. He had 1 receiving TD in 3 years with us. Brady can make A LOT of receivers look decent (see: Jabar Gaffney).

EDIT: Satele was voted best Rookie center by SI last year and top 10 for the 07 Rookie Class. Although Ive never liked SI's football analysis so take that for what its worth.

And what does 40 years without a Superbowl game do to ya'?
There you go counting loses again, you are such a tragedy.

Your Fins have not won one in 35 years, obviously before you were even born, and they have not been a playoff team for nearly a decade.

What were you in diapers the last time they had to BLACK OUT a game in the post season because your sorry team could not sell out that stadium that cahnges names every year. :Nuts:

There you go counting loses again, you are such a tragedy.

Your Fins have not won one in 35 years, obviously before you were even born, and they have not been a playoff team for nearly a decade.

What were you in diapers the last time they had to BLACK OUT a game in the post season because your sorry team could not sell out that stadium that cahnges names every year. :Nuts:

They actually televised it because the local tv station bought the remaning tix.

/continue rant

The only thing to discuss is how quick in the first half of the 1st gme will it take our defense to play meet at the QB & leave Chad Pennington for 1/2 Dead as they cart him off the field,

has the thought never occurred to you that pennington knows this offense better than any of the QBs on our roster and has practiced against this D for the past 2-3 years? have any of you, for that matter, considered the fact that he's had to already have broken down a sizable portion of our offense for them? and does anyone know how many blitz packages we've installed that he hasn't already seen? how many fronts? looks? don't be so ignorant to assume that game 1 is a gimme, nugent did the same thing a couple of weeks back on a chip shot and look what happened to him...

at the end of the '02 season there were comparisons of penny to montana, another "weak-armed" QB, and there is no doubt in my mind that not a single one of us (jet fans) held a physical limitation against him. now, because some of you feel "betrayed" by his injury prone career and its affect on our team, you belittle him in an attempt to discredit the fact that he is still a good QB. montana couldn't throw like favre, elway or marino, but he's got more rings than all 3 combined. where penny actually fell short is in the surrounding talent department. '03 should have been the year, if not for the broken wrist in preseason week 3; they had pretty much the same team they had in '02, but by '04 the team had lost too much to washington. the O-line was a silhouette of its former self, the only sure hands belonged to 80 and my favorite martin was on his last full tank.

that said, pennington isn't what he used to be. the phins are not likely to go to the SB with him. in all likelihood his time has passed. but by no means is he washed up. his intangibles are even comparable to favre: tough, all heart, pure love for the game, natural born leader, great pocket presence. pennington is smarter, but favre is more durable, but those are measurables. all i'm saying is: don't underestimate any opponent, especially one you believe you know "so well," because access to intimate knowledge isn't relegated to a one way street.

i sense something...

has the thought never occurred to you that pennington knows this offense better than any of the QBs on our roster and has practiced against this D for the past 2-3 years? have any of you, for that matter, considered the fact that he's had to already have broken down a sizable portion of our offense for them? and does anyone know how many blitz packages we've installed that he hasn't already seen? how many fronts? looks? don't be so ignorant to assume that game 1 is a gimme, nugent did the same thing a couple of weeks back on a chip shot and look what happened to him...

at the end of the '02 season there were comparisons of penny to montana, another "weak-armed" QB, and there is no doubt in my mind that not a single one of us (jet fans) held a physical limitation against him. now, because some of you feel "betrayed" by his injury prone career and its affect on our team, you belittle him in an attempt to discredit the fact that he is still a good QB. montana couldn't throw like favre, elway or marino, but he's got more rings than all 3 combined. where penny actually fell short is in the surrounding talent department. '03 should have been the year, if not for the broken wrist in preseason week 3; they had pretty much the same team they had in '02, but by '04 the team had lost too much to washington. the O-line was a silhouette of its former self, the only sure hands belonged to 80 and my favorite martin was on his last full tank.

that said, pennington isn't what he used to be. the phins are not likely to go to the SB with him. in all likelihood his time has passed. but by no means is he washed up. his intangibles are even comparable to favre: tough, all heart, pure love for the game, natural born leader, great pocket presence. pennington is smarter, but favre is more durable, but those are measurables. all i'm saying is: don't underestimate any opponent, especially one you believe you know "so well," because access to intimate knowledge isn't relegated to a one way street.

i sense something...

Chad Pennington was a victim of a lack of surrounding talent? **** Chad Pennington.

End of discussion.

i sense something...

Well said Sir. His familiarity with Dan Henning's offense has really made it a smooth transition.

Look you would be crazy to say Brady or Kelly sucked, maybe you could get away with calling Brady a cheater ;), but he does not suck.

Chad went from a garbage noodle arm flunkie to "The most accurate, Zip, blah blah blah" in a matter of seconds, that's hilarious.

Also what happened to all the great QB's you guys had lined up to take over, that we use to hear about, Chad came in and got the nod rigtht away.

So if he sucked as bad as dolfags use to claim, then I guess you guys are really hurting at the QB position.

Don't worry I have a feeling the FLIPPERS are going to be FLIPPING again, a few games into the season. :P

yes, he does suck. the giants proved it. they pressured him and rattled him and the pats put up no where near the 30-some-odd-points they had been scoring per game that year. brady has benefitted from solid O-line play through his career to date. last year he could stand back and recite a shakespearean monologue before he even had to think about making his reads, setting, and throwing. that line was that good. they just happened to run into a better opposing line in the SB. and it's been proven time and again, when you can put constant pressure on him, he gets rattled and loses that aura of invincibility. in short he's a great QB when you give him all the time in the world. but who isn't? pennington could shred a defense if you give him 7/8 seconds every time he drops back. brady's O-line gives him the time to make good, smart throws and his D, up until recently, ensures opponents can't outscore him. for that, he takes all the credit, or, rather, the media gives him all the credit and everyone willingly accepts his proposed greatness as fact. please, all brady is is a testament to the fact that football is the total team sport.

yes, he does suck. the giants proved it. they pressured him and rattled him and the pats put up no where near the 30-some-odd-points they had been scoring per game that year. brady has benefitted from solid O-line play through his career to date. last year he could stand back and recite a shakespearean monologue before he even had to think about making his reads, setting, and throwing. that line was that good. they just happened to run into a better opposing line in the SB. and it's been proven time and again, when you can put constant pressure on him, he gets rattled and loses that aura of invincibility. in short he's a great QB when you give him all the time in the world. but who isn't? pennington could shred a defense if you give him 7/8 seconds every time he drops back. brady's O-line gives him the time to make good, smart throws and his D, up until recently, ensures opponents can't outscore him. for that, he takes all the credit, or, rather, the media gives him all the credit and everyone willingly accepts his proposed greatness as fact. please, all brady is is a testament to the fact that football is the total team sport.
I Agree with most of what you say, and I think tom tom may have benefited from video tapes too.

Fact remains when given the time and possibly the on coming D from taping the signals, he can execute so I would not say he sucks out right. :D

Everytime I've seen Pennington get time I still see a dumpoff. Playaction then dumpoff to the back. It's so bad it's funny.

Miami's offense will average 16-18 points a game. Nothing special. Ricky Williams has looked good in Training Camp but lets see him do it consistently in the Regular Season and lets see how Brown's leg heals. Also, they still have nothing at receiver except The Great Hype (Ted Ginn Jr.). Ernest Wilford and Derek Hagan are reserves.

i sense something...

Chad Pennington was a victim of a lack of surrounding talent? **** Chad Pennington.

End of discussion.

yup. i knew i detected a bit of ignorance. it's okay to feel hurt/betrayed/let down, but i'm going to tell you like the mods here have told me innumerable times: let it go. we all shared that same SB aspiration with him. it didn't happen. oblah-di oblah-da you know the rest.

Miami's offense will average 16-18 points a game. Nothing special. Ricky Williams has looked good in Training Camp but lets see him do it consistently in the Regular Season and lets see how Brown's leg heals. Also, they still have nothing at receiver except The Great Hype (Ted Ginn Jr.). Ernest Wilford and Derek Hagan are reserves.

I think that's being extremely generous. I see Miami blowing up teams that have shoddy run-stopping, but then get blown out by teams with a decent long threat passing attacks.

Every team is going to play Miami's offense with 8-men in the box. It's going to be a long year for whoever their kicker is.

He's just a system QB. :rolleyes: Do you actually believe what you just typed?

Chad went from a garbage noodle arm flunkie to "The most accurate, Zip, blah blah blah" in a matter of seconds, that's hilarious.
I don't understand this comment, especially the "most accurate" putdown. I assume you're talking about the SI article. Chad Pennington is the NFL Career Leader in passing accuracy - that's a fact, not a debatable claim. This isn't referring to his preseason stats, but CAREER stats, something a lot of people here never gave him any credit for.

Anyway, you guys with all your chest-thumping are just setting us up for an embarrassment on opening day. I see no reason why Chad and the Dolphins are not capable of beating us. All we have done is show that we're better than last year at this time. We have yet to show that the team is great.

Throttle back a bit, will ya?

Everytime I've seen Pennington get time I still see a dumpoff. Playaction then dumpoff to the back. It's so bad it's funny.

that's debatable. i've never been to a game and the cameras stay focused on the ball location, never tracking the WR routes, so when there's a dump-off i'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to pennington that a WR wasn't open or is double covered and is too smart (or i guess for some of you too weak) to try and force something. we've all seen him air it out before and he's actually been very accurate on throws over 30 yards. man, i know some ignorant jackasses are going to come along and say some idiotic sh!t like, "pennington can't throw it over 5 yards," not realizing they can't even throw it half as far as him. in reality their delusions would be proven as transparencies.

I don't understand this comment, especially the "most accurate" putdown. I assume you're talking about the SI article. Chad Pennington is the NFL Career Leader in passing accuracy - that's a fact, not a debatable claim. This isn't referring to his preseason stats, but CAREER stats, something a lot of people here never gave him any credit for.

Anyway, you guys with all your chest-thumping are just setting us up for an embarrassment on opening day. I see no reason why Chad and the Dolphins are not capable of beating us. All we have done is show that we're better than last year at this time. We have yet to show that the team is great.

Throttle back a bit, will ya?

First of all, I was describing how dofag fans described Pennington when he was a Jet and how they describe him now, so get with the program.

Second I always gave Chad credit for all he accopmlished here, and I will be the first to say we have not proved anything yet, and that the pre-season is worthless.

So you are really preaching to the choir, thanks for your 2 cents.

yup. i knew i detected a bit of ignorance. it's okay to feel hurt/betrayed/let down, but i'm going to tell you like the mods here have told me innumerable times: let it go. we all shared that same SB aspiration with him. it didn't happen. oblah-di oblah-da you know the rest.

If you had SB aspirations with Chad Pennington as the helm,it is you who might be ignorant.

This offense was limited every time he stepped on the field , dead in the water if the opponents had a 8 pt lead and he consistently threw INT's in big spots late in the game.

I'm hurt the Jets didn't get rid of him sooner,ask around. :winking0001:

If there is a thread about how great Chad Pennington is....I'll be there to throw my opinion in on why he's not. He's a scrub who doesn't play for this team anymore. He's fair game when the topic is brought up.

He's just a system QB. :rolleyes: Do you actually believe what you just typed?

abso-fkkn-lutely, chumpo... i mean gainzo... if the pressure's constant marsha comes out and she can't do sh!t. she shakes a sack off just fine, but once she starts hearing steps she sh!ts the bed. NO ONE was able to put any real pressure on her until they got to the SB and from what i can remember i never saw her pass block for herself. i never saw her get herself 8 seconds to do what she do. the NE O hasn't had any major changes since she came in, has it? and in that sense she hasn't shown she can excel in another system, has she? so, i guess... yes, she is technically a system QB. when she's still throwing 40 TDs behind a crap O-line with no running game in a brand new system and no D support, then i'll call her a great QB. but, as of now, she couldn't do a quarter of the things she does when she gets rattled because her tremendous line wilts and the pressure is on. joe cool could never be rattled and that's why HE is the MAN.

abso-fkkn-lutely, chumpo... i mean gainzo... if the pressure's constant marsha comes out and she can't do sh!t. she shakes a sack off just fine, but once she starts hearing steps she sh!ts the bed. NO ONE was able to put any real pressure on her until they got to the SB and from what i can remember i never saw her pass block for herself. i never saw her get herself 8 seconds to do what she do. the NE O hasn't had any major changes since she came in, has it? and in that sense she hasn't shown she can excel in another system, has she? so, i guess... yes, she is technically a system QB. when she's still throwing 40 TDs behind a crap O-line with no running game in a brand new system and no D support, then i'll call her a great QB. but, as of now, she couldn't do a quarter of the things she does when she gets rattled because her tremendous line wilts and the pressure is on. joe cool could never be rattled and that's why HE is the MAN.

Who do you think the best QB's in the NFL are right now? BTW: Using the word she is pretty pathetic.

If you had SB aspirations with Chad Pennington as the helm,it is you who might be ignorant.

This offense was limited every time he stepped on the field , dead in the water if the opponents had a 8 pt lead and he consistently threw INT's in big spots late in the game.

I'm hurt the Jets didn't get rid of him sooner,ask around. :winking0001:

If there is a thread about how great Chad Pennington is....I'll be there to throw my opinion in on why he's not. He's a scrub who doesn't play for this team anymore. He's fair game when the topic is brought up.

so you're going to sit there and tell me that from after '02 to just before the '03 season you weren't thinking the jets had a legitimate shot at making it there? you know you're full of sh!t if you do. because every real jet fan watching in '02 believed. when he threw 22 TDs to 6 INTs you thought he was crap, huh? you must've hated watching him step in for testaverde in '02. you must've hated that he salvaged that season and we made the playoffs. i'm sure you had to be telling everyone who would listen that the jets needed to trade pennington after '02? please, bro... what kind of fake-ass, bandwagon fan are you? i'm trying hard to believe that you, as a "jet" fan, hated him and knew he was an absolute failure from day one (or was it week 5?), but it's all like vilma and d-rob in the 3-4: the pieces don't fit and i find myself doubting highly your extra sensory preception.

Who do you think the best QB's in the NFL are right now? BTW: Using the word she is pretty pathetic.

at this point, "best" is relative. none of these guys should even be mentioned with the actual "bests." that said, peyton's really good... not easily rattled but he can be pissed off, which is never a good thing. favre, even though i didn't want him here, is great... you can't rattle him, you can't piss him off, but you can deceive him, especially if you're playing off of his confidence... that's pick city...

i know you're sitting there flipping out over brady's 3 rings vs. manning's and favre's 1 apiece, but for me the best of all time all had one single thing in common: consistency. and, as any athlete, celebrity, writer, what-have-you will tell you, the hardest thing to do is maintain greatness especially in the face of adversity. brady has shown time and again, that if you really stack the chips against him, he'll crumble. best example: switch him and manning and he doesn't win a single superbowl with the colts.

I wouldn't go that far, but keying in on Ronnie/Ricky will def be high priority for Dolphins opponents. Say what you want about Penny's arm, Ted Ginn stretches the field.

Its obviously going to be a dink and dunk/power running offense, but Chad can expolit that type of D you described. He did it for you guys for 8 years.

Another thing that type of offense does it allows us to shorten the game and run clock. Which will be good considering our lack of depth/inexperience on D.

But we never scored any touchdowns

Discuss...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/bucky_brooks/08/28/buzz/index.html

Pennington, the NFL's career leader in completion percentage (65.6) for quarterbacks with more than 1,500 attempts, has completed 16-of-21 attempts for 149 yards with one touchdown in two starts with the Dolphins and led the team to four scores in seven drives under his guidance.

"I've been impressed with how sharp he has looked in his first two starts," said an AFC scout. "He is getting the ball out on time, and even looks likes he has more zip on his passes."

the Dolphins are assembling an offense that has the potential to put points on the board. Led by the re-emergence of Ricky Williams and the return of a healthy Ronnie Brown, the Dolphins' rushing attack could finish amongst the league's top five. And the steady pounding between the tackles will allow Pennington to take deep shots to Ted Ginn Jr. down the field

Even if all this is correct, the Miami Defense will not be stopping teams this year, in other words...whats going to happen when you have close games in the 4th quarter and Chad begins throwing those notorious 4th quarter interceptions? if the dolphins arent winning a game going into the 4th quarter by more than 7 points do not, I REPEAT....DO NOT count that game as a win especially if the other team takes the lead anytime in the 4th quarter. Chad two minute drives are a joke, his 4th quarter stats are a joke. His arm isnt strong, and Ted Ginn Jr. wont mean much running down the field because Chad cant throw strikes like that...

Chad Pennington is not a QB that can take you from a 1-15 season to a 10-6 or even a 8-8 season. If the Dolphins win 6 games this year, call is a good year.

at this point, "best" is relative. none of these guys should even be mentioned with the actual "bests." that said, peyton's really good... not easily rattled but he can be pissed off, which is never a good thing. favre, even though i didn't want him here, is great... you can't rattle him, you can't piss him off, but you can deceive him, especially if you're playing off of his confidence... that's pick city...

i know you're sitting there flipping out over brady's 3 rings vs. manning's and favre's 1 apiece, but for me the best of all time all had one single thing in common: consistency. and, as any athlete, celebrity, writer, what-have-you will tell you, the hardest thing to do is maintain greatness especially in the face of adversity. brady has shown time and again, that if you really stack the chips against him, he'll crumble. best example: switch him and manning and he doesn't win a single superbowl with the colts.

Peyton's not easily rattled? Are you kidding me? I guess you missed his performances against the Pats in the '03 & '04 playoffs.

Your argument is weak. Tom Brady & Peyton Manning are the best QB's in the game. Both are going to the Hall of Fame.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...........oh wait hang on......Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............ok now, seriously.......BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rl::rl::rl::rl::rl::rl::rl::rl::rl:

:rl:

Archived