Nugent got hurt on the Opening Kickoff

Nuge is a homo, he deserves to be put on the hot seat but he's a solid kicker. I'm just wondering where all this "he's not clutch" talk is coming from? Misses chip shots? He's easily top 5 in the NFL in kicks under 40 yards, I can say that without looking it up.

And we want to sign Vanderjagt or Jay Feely? These guys have Doug Brien written all over again.

Now I don't profess to know a lot about Feely, but please tell me how he would be another Brien. He was 21 of 23 last year (91.3%) and a long of 53. Certainly he's a good stop gap while Nuge is injured. Then let them battle it out for the spot when Nuge is healthy again.

I'm as guilty of this as anybody. For some reason, we tend to remember the bad stuff rather than focussing on the good. Earlier, someone mentioned John Hall. I remember the massive 55+-yard kick in Oakland that sent us to the playoffs, but my main recollection of Hall is that he missed tons of easy kicks. Whether that's true or not statistically, I don't know. Same with Nugent: I am remembering the easy misses rather than the difficult ones. For the record, he is far from the worst kicker in the league. I just don't have confidence in him. Part of it for me was growing up in a tough neighborhood that was sports obsessed. If a guy choked--either in a local game or in the pros--you heard it immediately and pretty much forever.

For the most part, me neither. But I dont trust any kicker.

Now I don't profess to know a lot about Feely, but please tell me how he would be another Brien. He was 21 of 23 last year (91.3%) and a long of 53. Certainly he's a good stop gap while Nuge is injured. Then let them battle it out for the spot when Nuge is healthy again.

Feely isnt bad, but he's not on a team right now for a reason. Oh and how about him missing 3 game winning field goals in 2005 vs the seahawks? And Nugent isnt clutch? If Nuge isnt healthy, go with Feely, but not for the long term.

I'm as guilty of this as anybody. For some reason, we tend to remember the bad stuff rather than focussing on the good. Earlier, someone mentioned John Hall. I remember the massive 55+-yard kick in Oakland that sent us to the playoffs, but my main recollection of Hall is that he missed tons of easy kicks. Whether that's true or not statistically, I don't know. Same with Nugent: I am remembering the easy misses rather than the difficult ones. For the record, he is far from the worst kicker in the league. I just don't have confidence in him. Part of it for me was growing up in a tough neighborhood that was sports obsessed. If a guy choked--either in a local game or in the pros--you heard it immediately and pretty much forever.

This pretty much sums up my exact feelings on nuge.

Whether that's true or not statistically, I don't know. Same with Nugent: I am remembering the easy misses rather than the difficult ones. For the record, he is far from the worst kicker in the league. I just don't have confidence in him.

This pretty much sums up my exact feelings on nuge.

Yeah, why let hard facts get in the way of your feelings.

Since you are a stats guy, do you have any information on how many kicks Nugent missed at different distances? Also, if any of those missed attempts cost us games? Not anecdotal material, but facts.

Unless said kicks were missed as time expired (or on the final drive), that'd be anecdotal as well, no?

Since you are a stats guy, do you have any information on how many kicks Nugent missed at different distances? Also, if any of those missed attempts cost us games? Not anecdotal material, but facts.

I looked this up this morning for the hell of it but never posted it. He's 55/61 career (90%) from under 40 yards, and has only missed one under 30 yards.

I looked this up this morning for the hell of it but never posted it. He's 55/61 career (90%) from under 40 yards, and has only missed one under 30 yards.

Thank you for the stats. Why are so many of us remembering more shanks? We can't all be that pissed off at the guy? Any numbers on over 40 yards?

Thank you for the stats. Why are so many of us remembering more shanks? We can't all be that pissed off at the guy? Any numbers on over 40 yards?

Because many of us can't get over the fact that Herm and Bradway used a 2nd rounder (our first pick of the 05 draft) on the guy. If you're gonna grab a kicker that high, he damn well better be automatic from less than 39 yards at least, and probably inside 49 yards too.

Also we're Jet fans and therefore always have to have something to bitch about. Nugent over his career statistically has been a solid place kicker, but that isn't enough, so we have to complain about his kickoffs, even though his kicks generally seem to land between the 10 yard line and the goal line (no stats to back that up).

Also he seems to have his misses come in bunches, or in notable games (I.E season openers), or in the case of the Tennessee game a few years back, they come in bunches during the first game of the year. Just watch, if the injury isn't too serious, he'll settle down as the year progresses, and the only thing people will say about him is his Kickoffs are still too short.

Because many of us can't get over the fact that Herm and Bradway used a 2nd rounder (our first pick of the 05 draft) on the guy. If you're gonna grab a kicker that high, he damn well better be automatic from less than 39 yards at least, and probably inside 49 yards too.

Also we're Jet fans and therefore always have to have something to bitch about. Nugent over his career statistically has been a solid place kicker, but that isn't enough, so we have to complain about his kickoffs, even though his kicks generally seem to land between the 10 yard line and the goal line (no stats to back that up).

Also he seems to have his misses come in bunches, or in notable games (I.E season openers), or in the case of the Tennessee game a few years back, they come in bunches during the first game of the year. Just watch, if the injury isn't too serious, he'll settle down as the year progresses, and the only thing people will say about him is his Kickoffs are still too short.

Chad's not hear so people need a new whipping boy. It's either Nuge or Gholston now.

Good post. Personally, I am not at all angry over the Nugent draft pick. That's not it. Even yesterday, it was my wife who chimed in first about the short kickoffs and that he misses automatic kicks. And she's as rational as they come. You might be right about Jet fans needing something to bitch about.

Awesome link. Thank you. I'll take the bullet on this one. Those are good numbers.

And you didn't like the numbers I gave you? Ah, yes - those feelings.

40-49 yds, he is 17 for 22 career

50+ yds, 3 for 9

So many of "us" are remembering shanks, because "we" didn't like that the Jets "wasted" such a high draft pick on a kicker, and we all tend to remember what fits our preconceptions. I am not particularly a stats guy, but whenever I read such shrill wailing as in this thread, I take the trouble to go find out if it's true, and of course, the wailing is not warranted.

And you didn't like the numbers I gave you? Ah, yes - those feelings.

40-49 yds, he is 17 for 22 career

50+ yds, 3 for 9

So many of "us" are remembering shanks, because "we" didn't like that the Jets "wasted" such a high draft pick on a kicker, and we all tend to remember what fits our preconceptions. I am not particularly a stats guy, but whenever I read such shrill wailing as in this thread, I take the trouble to go find out if it's true, and of course, the wailing is not warranted.

Shrill wailing is what happens on these boards whether you like it or not. Wait until he misses another easy kick. Then you will really hear the lynch mob. BTW, 30% on kicks over 50 is nothing to be proud of.

Nugent over his career statistically has been a solid place kicker, but that isn't enough, so we have to complain about his kickoffs, even though his kicks generally seem to land between the 10 yard line and the goal line (no stats to back that up).

Actually, there are, and you are right. As of today - including a poor kickoff yesterday - he has averaged just inside the 10 yard line, with 60.2 yards per kick. Last year, in our worst season, Nuge averaged 61.1 yards, including 9 touchbacks, his best year ever.

Archived