Position Kicker

Height 5-11

Weight 193

Years Experience R

Birthdate 4/11/1986

Hometown Wilmington, NC

College North Carolina

College Bio

Saw action in 47 contests as a kicker during his four-year collegiate career at North Carolina … Converted a school-record 54 of 71 FGs (76.1%) and 103 of 109 PATs for 265 points … Connected on a school-record 19 consecutive field goals beginning vs. Virginia Tech (11/26/05) and ending with vs. South Carolina (10/13/07) ... Made 30 of his final 33 field goal attempts dating back to his sophomore season.

2007: Played in 12 games … Connected on 19 of 22 FGs and 21 of 23 PATs for a team-high 78 points … Earned first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors.

2006: Participated in 12 games, converting all 10 of his FGs and 24 of 26 PATs for 54 points.

2005: Saw action in 11 games … Connected on 11 of 21 FGs and all 23 PATs for 56 points.

2004: Played in 12 games … Converted 14 of 18 FGs and 35 of 37 PATs for 77 points … Named second-team freshman All-America and earned honorable mention All-ACC honors … Majored in Communications at North Carolina. Personal Bio

• Named first-team All-America by USA Today as a senior at Hoggard High School in Wilmington, North Carolina.

• Played in the Army All-America Bowl.

• Set the North Carolina high school record with 38 career field goals.

• Full name: Connor Thomas Barth. • Single, resides in Wilmington, North Carolina.

You guys don't like Nugent? Why?

In the three full seasons he has been a Jet, he's made 82.4% of his field goal attempts and 97.6% of his PATs.

Since the real money is in field goals, you might be interested to know that among all 32 active place-kickers, Nugent ranks 7th in % completions, ahead of other well-regarded kickers such as:

Sebastian Janikowski

Martin Gramatica

Olindo Mar

In the three full seasons he has been a Jet, he's made 82.4% of his field goal attempts and 97.6% of his PATs.

Since the real money is in field goals, you might be interested to know that among all 32 active place-kickers, Nugent ranks 7th in % completions, ahead of other well-regarded kickers such as:

Sebastian Janikowski

Martin Gramatica

Olindo Mar

Sebastian Janikowski

Martin Gramatica

Olindo Mar

1) He misses far too many short kicks

2) He doesn't attempt nearly as many LONG kicks as those guys have in their career, which obviously have a higher % of misses

3) I don't care how many FGs someone makes when we're up by 17 or down by 17.

4) Whenever he misses a couple he's "hurt"

5) In the clutch, he doesn't come through.

yup,,he is the Armando Benetez of Field Goal Kickers..looks great when team ahead in game, but when there is any pressure turns into a different player

He's already on my team, Twinkie.

I give you some statistics, and you come back with "f**king mush"? Intelligent.

First, I'm not a "twinkie". My boyfriend is. So there, "Mr. Great Comeback". I'm sticking my tongue at you, BTW. So there. Guys like you amaze me. You love to tout stats, but never get when a guy just doesn't have it. By your reasoning, Chad should be enshrined in Canton next to Montana. It doesn't work that way. No matter how great his numbers are, Nugent is a snake bit kicker. You want to hitch your wagons to this guy? Fine, I don't. And let's watch the personal attacks on such an innocuous post.

Any news on what MANGINI is gonna do about this kicking issue.

All we've heard is that Jay Feely was on a plane from FL to NY last night. I think it has to be either Feely or Hall, two veteran kickers with experience of kicking at The Meadowlands and the wind that often is there.

Took the words right outta my mouth, hes only 34 which is still young in kicker years, guy had a really strong leg and he could make a tackle on kickoffs, lets get him back in green

There's a reason he isn't on a team right now. He's been out of the NFL for at least 2 years now I believe. He wasn't a great kicker with us the first time around. OK, but not great.

Nugent is like a really ****ty version of Mike Vanderjagt, in terms of what kicks he makes. The difference is Vanderjagt pretty much made everything that doesn't matter and was a loudmouth.

I figure after being out of an NFL job for so long, he has become humbled, so let's give him a call and have him kick for us. He'll still miss the big kicks, but so did Nugent, but at least he'll hit everything up until then for us, unlike Nugent.

There's a reason he isn't on a team right now. He's been out of the NFL for at least 2 years now I believe. He wasn't a great kicker with us the first time around. OK, but not great.

He was decent and hit some big kicks 50+.Washington thought he was decent enough to sign him to a big free agency contract. Who's your choice?

Nugent sucks hes missed field goals in 2 staright games now.

And even a bigger concern, the guy does nto have the leg to kick it in the end zone once in a while. He never does!

Im tellign you this guy will hurt us sometime during the season.

I dont know how he was a captain in college.

I thought I was hating on Nugent alot yesterday and then I read this thread.

wow, are you guys sure he isnt the worst kicker of all time? Misses clutch kicks? Misses chip shots? Are there any facts here or just kneejerk reaction hate?

After a kick like he missed yesterday, you've got to expect some negative feedback. No one wants to hate any of our players, but sometimes it's warranted. There was a good chance that we could have used those three points yesterday. That was an easy kick in perfect weather. All the good feelings on the Board today might have been replaced with dread after losing to Miami on a blown FG, and our inability to make a point after.

He was decent and hit some big kicks 50+.Washington thought he was decent enough to sign him to a big free agency contract. Who's your choice?

He also missed some big kicks as well.

How did that big contract work out for the Skins? He only played 1 full season (2003) and had a 75.8 FG% (lifetime is 74.6). Not that great. Hall averaged about 8 games a year after that with a low of 5 games in 2006. I'm glad the Skins took him off our hands. That was a FA bust big time. Who knows if he's healthy enough to even play anymore on top of it? I grant you that he was good on KO's and occasionally hit long ones early in his career, but he was very erratic. Plus his injury history would be a major concern.

I'm not saying Nuge is the answer, but Hall definitley isn't. If he was so great wouldn't other teams be knocking on his door? Give Feely a shot. At least he's played recently.

After a kick like he missed yesterday, you've got to expect some negative feedback. No one wants to hate any of our players, but sometimes it's warranted. There was a good chance that we could have used those three points yesterday. That was an easy kick in perfect weather. All the good feelings on the Board today might have been replaced with dread after losing to Miami on a blown FG, and our inability to make a point after.

Nuge is a homo, he deserves to be put on the hot seat but he's a solid kicker. I'm just wondering where all this "he's not clutch" talk is coming from? Misses chip shots? He's easily top 5 in the NFL in kicks under 40 yards, I can say that without looking it up.

And we want to sign Vanderjagt or Jay Feely? These guys have Doug Brien written all over again.

Nuge is a homo, he deserves to be put on the hot seat but he's a solid kicker. I'm just wondering where all this "he's not clutch" talk is coming from? Misses chip shots? He's easily top 5 in the NFL in kicks under 40 yards, I can say that without looking it up.

And we want to sign Vanderjagt or Jay Feely? These guys have Doug Brien written all over again.

I'm as guilty of this as anybody. For some reason, we tend to remember the bad stuff rather than focussing on the good. Earlier, someone mentioned John Hall. I remember the massive 55+-yard kick in Oakland that sent us to the playoffs, but my main recollection of Hall is that he missed tons of easy kicks. Whether that's true or not statistically, I don't know. Same with Nugent: I am remembering the easy misses rather than the difficult ones. For the record, he is far from the worst kicker in the league. I just don't have confidence in him. Part of it for me was growing up in a tough neighborhood that was sports obsessed. If a guy choked--either in a local game or in the pros--you heard it immediately and pretty much forever.

Archived