Jets sign P Reggie Hodges

from NewYorkJets.com:

Kick It Good: Hodges Signed as New Punter

Published: Wed, September 17, 2008 - 10:52am EDT

By Randy Lange

Reggie Hodges is the Jets' new punter.

Head coach Eric Mangini announced the signing of Hodges to replace Ben Graham. Hodges worked out Tuesday and the Jets announced they had waived Graham on Tuesday evening.

"With Hodges, we had a high grade on him coming out of college," Mangini said of the former Ball State punter. "We follow those guys based on their college grades to see how they've progressed, we've been to a couple of preseason camps and we've also worked some of these independent kicking clinics. We follow them pretty quickly.

"With Reggie, we've been watching his development over time and we've been pretty pleased with it. He came in yesterday and had an outstanding workout. Not that I've been to that many punter workouts, but it was pretty impressive."

If Hodges' name has filtered into your subconscious, it's OK. He's been around since he was a sixth-round draft choice of St. Louis in 2005. He had five punts for the Rams and Eagles that season, providing his only pro stats: a 37.4-yard gross and a 32.2 net.

But his skills intrigued three more teams before the Jets signed him. He was in the Colts' training camps in 2006 and '07, was with the Seahawks this summer, and was on the Patriots' practice squad from Sept. 4-7.

"Reggie gives us some flexibility with kickoffs, PATs and field goals — he's functional in both those areas," Mangini said. "He has the ability to throw the football, which gives us some opportunities in terms of fakes."

Mangini said Hodges will also be the new holder for the Jets placekicker, be he Jay Feely or, when healthy, Mike Nugent.

As for Graham, the coach again talked about one of the most excruciating parts of the NFL head-coaching business.

"Releasing Ben was extremely difficult for me. It's always the most difficult part of this job," he said. "You develop relations with players over time. I have a strong memory of being in Australia, in a Geelong cow paddock, with Ben's girlfriend at the time who's now his wife, pouring rain, one football. It's amazing what he's done to this point, totally changing sports, having the success he's had. But I just thought at this point it was the best thing to make the change."

With one spot open on the practice squad, Mangini announced the signing of another punter — Waylon Prather, who formerly kicked on the same San Jose State team that rookie CB Dwight Lowery played for in 2006.

"That's another situation," Mangini said, "where we've followed this player, monitored this player. He's another really athletic guy who has some potential to develop over time."

37.4 average???? Kapinos or Josh Miller are much better than that....

I really thought they would've signed Miller myself but I want no part in him. I'll take my changes with Hodges and if he screws up they signed Waylan Prather (the third punter we had on for tryouts on Tuesday) onto the Practice Squad.

I really thought they would've signed Miller myself but I want no part in him. I'll take my changes with Hodges and if he screws up they signed Waylan Prather (the third punter we had on for tryouts on Tuesday) onto the Practice Squad.

I wonder whose daughter Jeremy Kapinos was caught ****ing?

If he screws up? Bro...we can't afford another screw up on special teams.

This regime needs to know who can get the job done and who can't.

If he screws up? Bro...we can't afford another screw up on special teams.

This regime needs to know who can get the job done and who can't.

There wasn't any real great punter out there. To them Hodges or Prather will do a better job than Benny Graham and the way Benny's been punting since 2006, I'd have to agree with them that it was time to move on.

Brad Smith or Kellen Clemens will hold and Hodges will punt. I think Hodges will be a success personally.

There wasn't any real great punter out there. To them Hodges or Prather will do a better job than Benny Graham and the way Benny's been punting since 2006, I'd have to agree with them that it was time to move on.

Brad Smith or Kellen Clemens will hold and Hodges will punt. I think Hodges will be a success personally.

Brad Smith as the holder....hmmm...trick plays anyone?

How do you know they are capable of holding? It's not as easy as everyone thinks. Usually your punter holds because the kicker/punter work together, and then backup QBs or WRs are not required to miss their gameplanning.

How do you know they are capable of holding? It's not as easy as everyone thinks. Usually your punter holds because the kicker/punter work together, and then backup QBs or WRs are not required to miss their gameplanning.

Those are the two Mangini announced that would be picked from for the holding duties. Both have held before in College and I'm guessing in Practices. I can't remember Smith or Clemens holding in any Jets games. I think Kapinos held in Tennessee last year when they benched Graham.

Those are the two Mangini announced that would be picked from for the holding duties. Both have held before in College and I'm guessing in Practices. I can't remember Smith or Clemens holding in any Jets games. I think Kapinos held in Tennessee last year when they benched Graham.

I don't like it.. I think your WR or backup QB s hould be concentrating on that during the week (gameday doesn't matter, but the kicker has to practice with him)... but whatever.. Hopefully SMith and Clemens never get on the field anyway for QB/WR duty.

From Randy Lange:

"With Hodges, we had a high grade on him coming out of college," Mangini said of the former Ball State punter. "We follow those guys based on their college grades to see how they've progressed, we've been to a couple of preseason camps and we've also worked some of these independent kicking clinics. We follow them pretty quickly

"With Reggie, we've been watching his development over time and we've been pretty pleased with it. He came in yesterday and had an outstanding workout. Not that I've been to that many punter workouts, but it was pretty impressive."

"Reggie gives us some flexibility with kickoffs, PATs and field goals

should of signed this guy

A.J. Haglund

Enters his second season in the AFL after a record-setting rookie campaign...Established AFL single-season records for PATs made and attempted...Named to the league's All-Rookie Team and a second-team All-AFL selection...His 158 kick points in 2007 were an AFL-best and team record...Became the first K in team history to score a TD and set a record with 15.5 tackles...Earned the New Balance af2 Kicker of the Year award in 2006...Set Central Oklahoma career records for FGs and PATs made...Signed a free agent contract on October 9, 2006.

2007: Played all 16 games earning AFL All-Rookie Team and second-team all-league recognition...Set AFL records for most PATs made (128) and attempted (138) in a season...Led the AFL and set a team record with 158 kick points...His 10 FGs are the most in a season by a SaberCats K since 2002...The first K since 1999 to make 3 FGs in a game and tied the 1997 team record (B.Stoyanovich) with 6 straight makes...Is the 1st K in team history to score a TD when he returned a fumble 4-yards...Ended the season with 21 consecutive made PATs...Broke Dan Frantz' 2004 season mark (13.5) for tackles by a K with 15.5...Made his 1st career FG attempt (26) and converted all 9 PATs with a successful onside kick in his 1st AFL game (at Los Angeles 3/4)...The first K to make 3 FGs in a game since May 29, 1999 (at Georgia 3/24)...Scoree a TD when he returned a fumble 4 yards and was named game Ironman (vs Tampa Bay 3/31)...Made an 18-yard FG at the end of the 1st half, his 5th straight made FG (vs Colorado 4/6)...Made his 1st FG attempt tying Billy Stoyanovich's 1997 team record of 6 straight (vs Los Angeles 4/21)...Made 9 of 10 PATs becoming the 7th kicker in team history with 100 career points (vs Grand Rapids 5/19)...Made a season-long 39 yard FG (vs Orlando 6/1)...Made 8 PATs, tying the team season record of 109, and successfully converted his 3rd onside kick (at Utah 6/9)...Set an AFL record for PATs made in a season established team records for kick points, PATs made and attempted (vs Arizona 6/16)...Made all 10 PATs, extending his streak to 21 (at Las Vegas 6/25). POSTSEASON: Converted 24-of-27 PATs in 3 playoff games...Set team playoff records for PATs made (10) and attempted (11) in his 1st career postseason game (vs Colorado 7/7).

OTHER PRO EXPERIENCE: Played the last 2 seasons with the Oklahoma City Yards Dawgz of af2...Converted an af2 record 93.5 percent (116-of-124) of his PATs in 2006...Led the league in scoring with 146 points, the third-highest season total in af2 history...Also made 10 FGs, tied for fifth in af2, to earn New Balance Kicker of the Year honor...Had a string of 69 consecutive made PATs and recorded 23 touchbacks on kickoffs...Made 14-of-24 (58.3%) career FGs from fewer than 50 yards...Nailed an af2 postseason record 57-yard FG vs Arkansas (8/5/06)...Joined the Yard Dawgz for the final 5 games of 2005 hitting 4-of-7 FG attempts.

COLLEGE: A four-year starter (2001-04) at Division II Central Oklahoma...Team's place kicker and handled kick off duties...Earned a spot on the UCO All-Century Team...Earned first-team All-Lone Star Conference honors in both his junior and senior seasons...Named first-team All-West Region and second-team NCAA Division II All-America as a senior...Set school career records for FGs (40) and PATs (139) made while ranking second in points (259)...Made a school single-game record five FGs and set single-season school record with 15 FGs in 2004...Earned LSC Special Teams Player of the Week six times during his career...Ended his career converting 40-of-59 FGs (67.8%) and 139-of-154 PATs (90.3%)...Hit a career-long 50-yard FG during his sophomore season.

Nick Gatto

af2 NOTES

Assigned to Texas Copperheads on January 25, 2007. ... Was 17 for 46 in field goals and 102 of 126 extra points during three-year career in Arena Football League. ... Played for five AFL teams. ... Also recorded 14 tackles, five assisted tackles and recovered one fumble. ... Was named Kicker of the Year in 2003 and earned All-Rookie Team honors in 2002.

af2 EXPERIENCE

2004: Was 3 of 14 on field goal attempts for Grand Rapids (AFL). ... Also made 23 or 28 extra-point attempts and is 10th on the team

I like it a New England refuge with playbook knowledge.Lets hope he can punt and kick. I also like the fact that hes a no name.Mangini not afarid to shake things up and bring in someone nobodys heard of.Its a step in the right direction with more coming.

yeah, because the punters/kickers are given the full playbook all the time.

Archived