Mets' Minaya gets 4-year extension

Lil Bit Special

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/09/23/bc.mets.minaya/index.html

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

General manager Omar Minaya and the Mets have agreed on a four-year contract extension, SI.com has confirmed. An official announcement is not expected until after the season.

Minaya's several high-profile acquisitions have built the Mets into a perennial contender in the National League, and while the timing of the news is a little unusual in that the Mets are struggling in September for a second straight season, an extension was expected all along based on the club's overall improvement during his tenure.

He also enjoys an excellent working relationship with the Wilpon family, which owns the Mets.

Minaya's major acquisitions for the Mets have included Carlos Beltran, Pedro MartinezCarlos Delgado. But while the Mets have been a a contender for three straight seasons, they are in the midst of trying to avoid a second consecutive disastrous ending. and Minaya came under fire for the way in which Willie Randolph was fired, but the Wilpons didn't blame him and Randolph's replacement, Jerry Manuel, has led the Mets back into the race.

Minaya's first Mets contract, which was to run through next year, was for about $4 million over five years. The extension is expected to contain a significant raise.

News of the impending extension was first mentioned on nybaseballdigest.com.

Mets are a f#cking joke. Give this piece of sh!t and extension? Are you f@cking kidding me! The great team he has built that should have ran away with the division the last 2 years... Fu(k him and the Wilpons. I think its time for me to become a sawx fan.

The Wilpons love Omar and the Mets obviously need to make the playoff this year to justify the contract, but where were the Mets before Omar took over??

not in the playoffs... like last year... and possibly this year...

This team should have cruised into the postseason last year and this year. But due to Minaya not getting the right guys (SP last year, relief this year) we are struggling to make it. He is accountable for Willie sucking as manager. He cant get a pass because he's gotten us close to the playoffs.

We should have won it all in 2006, but thanks to Omar not building the right team we lost to a mediocre Cardinals team.

Fire him. He's earned it.

This team should have cruised into the postseason last year and this year. But due to Minaya not getting the right guys (SP last year, relief this year) we are struggling to make it. He is accountable for Willie sucking as manager. He cant get a pass because he's gotten us close to the playoffs.

We should have won it all in 2006, but thanks to Omar not building the right team we lost to a mediocre Cardinals team.

The thing is Minaya put together the team that "should cruise into the playoffs", so in my book he is doing something right. I put the blame more on silly Willie than Minaya. Remains to be seen what will hapen this year.

What stupid timing unless they want to take any additional pressure off the team. I'd have waited till after the regular season. They fail to make the October party it's "don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out Omar". Just incredible.

Thank you Omar for putting together this team of clutch hitters and shut down pitchers.

They had the chance to be a half game out going into their extra game tomorrow and they f#cking blew it. He should resign now.

I hate this team. No heart. No Passion. No clutch players. No leaders.

F#ck you New York Mets. F#ck you.

I know the feeling. I still think Delgato is THE clutch hitter, has been all year. Great move by Lou to walk him and Carlos in the ninth. If Wright had not chased ball four and K'd it might have been a different outcome.

they need:

catcher Ivan Rodriquez

1b Mark Textiera

2b Luis Castillo

LF Manny Ramirez

RF Bobby Abreu

RP

RP

RP

RP

RP

CL Francisco Rodriquez

SP El Duque

SP

SP

Now we just need to fill in the blanks.....

oh wait... forgot

backup OF

backup OF

backup INF

backup INF

backup C

:P

they need:

catcher

1b

2b

LF

RF

RP

RP

RP

RP

RP

CL

SP

SP

SP

Now we just need to fill in the blanks.....

oh wait... forgot

backup OF

backup OF

backup INF

backup INF

backup C

Exagerate much? The Mets won a pennant in 2000 with a starting outfield of Benny Agbayani, Jay Payton and Timo Perez.

The 2008 Mets are better than the 2000 Mets at every position except catcher and the pitching wasn't deep enough and they can't get 6 outs in the 8th and 9th inning without going through 14 relievers who inevitably blow it.

Exagerate much? The Mets won a pennant in 2000 with a starting outfield of Benny Agbayani, Jay Payton and Timo Perez.

The 2008 Mets are better than the 2000 Mets at every position except catcher and the pitching wasn't deep enough and they can't get 6 outs in the 8th and 9th inning without going through 14 relievers who inevitably blow it.

they were lucky in 2000 atlanta sucked the big one. if they dont lose, we dont make the world series.

this team has been flawed all season... they suck and need to be rebuilt or it will be another couple of years of c0ckteasing.

plus that team in 2000 had some heart. This team has none.

they were lucky in 2000 atlanta sucked the big one. if they dont lose, we dont make the world series.

this team has been flawed all season... they suck and need to be rebuilt or it will be another couple of years of c0ckteasing.

Disagree. The pen sucks and Maine has been hurt all season (not a excuse). Every team has flaws but saying the Mets ones are at a rebuild the team level is not true.

Coming in to the season not a single baseball person would question a Sanchez, Heilman, Wagner pen yet with Billy's injury and big spot melt downs, our pen has killed us.

Also, while all the young talent pre season talk was going on across town the Mets STILL had enough young talent after the Johan trade to get key contributions this year from Pelfrey, David Murphy and Joe Nelson. I also think Neise will be a decent 4th or 5th starter.

A line-up that starts with Reyes-Murphy-Wright-Delgado-Beltran and Church is as good as anyone in the NL.

Pending on what we do with resigning Ollie, a staff of Johan, Pelfrey, Ollie, a healthy Maine and Neise is one I have no hesitation going into next season with.

The bullpen needs fixing and Omar tried all season to correct. Other than that this team is good to go for the next 3-5 years at least.

Disagree. The pen sucks and Maine has been hurt all season (not a excuse). Every team has flaws but saying the Mets ones are at a rebuild the team level is not true.

Coming in to the season not a single baseball person would question a Sanchez, Heilman, Wagner pen yet with Billy's injury and big spot melt downs, our pen has killed us.

Also, while all the young talent pre season talk was going on across town the Mets STILL had enough young talent after the Johan trade to get key contributions this year from Pelfrey, David Murphy and Joe Nelson. I also think Neise will be a decent 4th or 5th starter.

A line-up that starts with Reyes-Murphy-Wright-Delgado-Beltran and Church is as good as anyone in the NL.

Pending on what we do with resigning Ollie, a staff of Johan, Pelfrey, Ollie, a healthy Maine and Neise is one I have no hesitation going into next season with.

The bullpen needs fixing and Omar tried all season to correct. Other than that this team is good to go for the next 3-5 years at least.

And I disagree with you.

Sanchez was an unknown due to injury. Wagner was getting old and Heilman shouldnt have blown up. I only had confidence in one guy in the bullpen. To have confidence in Wagner and Sanchez was dumb and a major mistake by Minaya.

Beltran has proven year after year he is not a big time player. He comes through in the clutch every once in a while. Delgado sucked for a long portion of the season... will he really be good next year? Doubt it. Church is useless. He's been hurt all year and has never been a good player. Wright and Reyes are overrated in their skills and talents. Murphy is still an unknown and most likely wont make the team out of camp next year.

We have good players, but nobody who is a leader who can take this team on their shoulder and show them how to be winners. Yes we have a decent lineup, but one who has been mediocre this year, choked last year, and blew it in 2006. How long do we need to put up with players who cant win the big one?

This team sucks and will continue to suck if we keep this core together. They are losers.

*** and resigning Perez would be a MAJOR mistake. ***

My sons's school had a fundraiser with Mets tickets, so it was practically a gimme- a ballgame with the tyke, and a tax deduction.

Seems about 35,000 Mets fans came disguised as empty seats.

Now, the forecast sucked, but it never rained the whole night. As far as "tough to get there", I drove from Brooklyn leaving home at 6:15 and we were in our seats for 1st pitch.In fact, I cannot recall ever getting into a parking spot and getting out ever, even before all the construction. Let me understand-they're knocking Shea down after this season; your team is supposedly in a pennant race; and this weekend is going to decide it.

And yet almost nobody showed up. And even with those who did, the crowd was dead. Which I can understand, given the Mets gave them nothing to cheer. Unless you enjoy Manuel and the bullpen carving up the grass on their way to the mound-again.

Your team has 2 games left to make up one game vs. the Brewers. Before another Mets fan goes on a Yankee rant, why don't you guys simply support your own team?

This team is a flawed team. Every team in baseball is a flawed team. Obviously the Mets biggest flaw this year was the the worse bullpen in the league. Its not easy to solve bullpen issues. YOu never know with relievers on a year to year basis. Everyone is looking for relieve help. However to say that this team is garbage is silly. Beltran as much as he gets killed is probably the best overall Center Fielder in the League. Reyes and Wright are right up there with anyone in their respective positions. I would say top 3 or 4. Delgado will be back, will he put up numbers like he did this year. Maybe, maybe not, but I don't expect a huge drop off. Why would Dan Murphy not make the team out of camp. That doesn't make any sense. This kid can hit. He can hit with 2 strikes and big situations don't phase him. I think the Mets are trying to make him into a second basemen. Time will tell. If you are really so down on this team, there's only one easy solution. Just don't watch the games.

My sons's school had a fundraiser with Mets tickets, so it was practically a gimme- a ballgame with the tyke, and a tax deduction.

Now, the forecast sucked, but it never rained the whole night. As far as "tough to get there", I drove from Brooklyn leaving home at 6:15 and we were in our seats for 1st pitch.In fact, I cannot recall ever getting into a parking spot and getting out ever, even before all the construction. Let me understand-they're knocking Shea down after this season; your team is supposedly in a pennant race; and this weekend is going to decide it.

And yet almost nobody showed up. And even with those who did, the crowd was dead. Which I can understand, given the Mets gave them nothing to cheer. Unless you enjoy Manuel and the bullpen carving up the grass on their way to the mound-again.

Your team has 2 games left to make up one game vs. the Brewers. Before another Mets fan goes on a Yankee rant, why don't you guys simply support your own team?

Way to exaggerate. I was at the game tonight. Been there the last 3 nights as a matter of fact. Today's game was probably the smallest crowd of the three games I went to. There wasn't 35,000 empty seats. I would say a fair assessment is probably 15,000 empty seats, which to me is still a disgrace. You have to realize that most everyone predicted that the game would be canceled. It was suppose to rain throughout and I am sure that scared a lot of people away. The only section that I noticed that was empty was the upper tank, right and left field. I know this is your way of killing Mets fans, but be credible when making an assessment.

On the side note, Darryl was at the game and sitting a few rows from me. Had a chance to say hello and take a picture, that was pretty awesome.

I cant... too far to drive. 4 hours is a little far to go...:)

Archived