Only Two Active Running Backs

Maxman

Is it just me or is Mangini crazy going into a game with only Jones and Washington active? This is driving me crazy. We have seen this year how unexpected injuries (Nugent) can cripple you mid-game.

So why do they only carry two backs? If Thomas Jones gets hurt it isn't like Richardson is going to chip in and get any carries. So then they are left with Leon Washington to take the whole load. But that could impact them in the return game if Leon is over worked.

It seems like the contingency plan for a Jones injury is to just pass the ball all the time. But what if you have a lead? Wouldn't you just activate the 3rd back just in case.

Like in the Rams game -- he could have gotten every carry beyond the 40 to 0 point (3rd and 4th quarters). Just seems like a big in game risk to me. I know the roster spots are tight. If they don't activate Marcus Mason simply because he doesn't play special teams (I am assuming that is why but I don't know) -- couldn't you find a 3rd RB that could help out on special teams?

Oh well maybe it is just me...:dohslap:

Is it just me or is Mangini crazy going into a game with only Jones and Washington active? This is driving me crazy. We have seen this year how unexpected injuries (Nugent) can cripple you mid-game.

So why do they only carry two backs? If Thomas Jones gets hurt it isn't like Richardson is going to chip in and get any carries. So then they are left with Leon Washington to take the whole load. But that could impact them in the return game if Leon is over worked.

It seems like the contingency plan for a Jones injury is to just pass the ball all the time. But what if you have a lead? Wouldn't you just activate the 3rd back just in case.

Like in the Rams game -- he could have gotten every carry beyond the 40 to 0 point (3rd and 4th quarters). Just seems like a big in game risk to me. I know the roster spots are tight. If they don't activate Marcus Mason simply because he doesn't play special teams (I am assuming that is why but I don't know) -- couldn't you find a 3rd RB that could help out on special teams?

The price we pay to carry 2 kickers

Agreed. Max for HC.

Brad Smith. That's who they think their 3rd RB is.

Two kickers hurts the total roster # but doesn't impact the final # for the day. In other words, both kickers aren't active on game day.

Mason is our only other RB on our 53 and he has been inactive. I guess they do not view him as special teams player over others that are getting playing time.

If Jones or Washington got hurt we would see lots of the other back. What worries me is if one goes down long term we would need another back where we could claim a back but would not be familiar with our offense. Having an extra kicker is preventing us from carrying another RB in case of an injury where that back would be gaining knowledge in our offense. I do not know if Mason is ready.

I do not see what the problem is with Richardson... did he not get carries in KC? As for the return game they should have thought of that when the cut Miller while keeping other useless players like Carroll.

If Thomas Jones goes down in the 1st quarter and they need to run the ball consistently they are going to be left running Leon Washington and Tony Richardson. They have trusted Washington to run the ball 20 plus times one time in his career (and that was in 2006).

Richardson has 1 carry this year and 19 over the past 4 years I believe.

If Thomas Jones goes down in the 1st quarter and they need to run the ball consistently they are going to be left running Leon Washington and Tony Richardson. They have trusted Washington to run the ball 20 plus times one time in his career (and that was in 2006).

Richardson has 1 carry this year and 19 over the past 4 years I believe.

It is a concern and the price Mangini is willing to pay. I agree with you would rather have 3 active backs

That means Favre is gonna be slingin' the ball around 'old school' style... What's the over/under on interceptions? I'll take a minimum of 2 picks for Favre.

Going into a game like this against an opponet like Tennessee, Mangini should have 3 backs, it's bad coaching on his part to only have 2 backs going.

Brad Smith could handle that spot if they need him. I'd rather leave Richardson in to block for Smith and either RB still standing, if one gets injured. He definitely could have left someone else inactive to keep 3 RB's, but I suppose he thinks he's got someone else better than Mason that he's leaving active.

That means Favre is gonna be slingin' the ball around 'old school' style... What's the over/under on interceptions? I'll take a minimum of 2 picks for Favre.

Going into a game like this against an opponet like Tennessee, Mangini should have 3 backs, it's bad coaching on his part to only have 2 backs going.

"bad coaching" .. You make me laugh.

If you're going to depend on your 3rd back, then guess what.. you're going to lose.

Brad Smith will fill in at RB if needed.

I was thinking that too. Smith seems to be the only option and the titans would damn well know he isn't running inside on Haynesworth. We'd be screwed if Jones went down.

I don't agree with the "if Jones gets injured we lose anyway" sentiment. He's not so amazing that we're lost without him. Kris Jenkins is that good. Considering the backups, we're probably in that boat if Favre gets injured as well. But Thomas Jones?

There are other RB's out there capable of doing well vs crappy teams (or when the run-blocking is very good) & 3 ypc against good ones (or when the run-blocking is very bad).

The Jets' ground game in 2008 is a good situation for a RB to be in. There are guys out there who can split carries with Leon without the season being in the crapper. Players like Najeh Davenport also seemed capable of 120+ yards (on 5+ ypc) and a couple of TD's against the likes of the Rams last year.

What happened to Pittsburgh when Willie Parker went down again this year? Was their season "over" or did they just give those carries to Mewelde Moore (who hadn't started a game since 2005)?

We should have another RB.

I don't agree with the "if Jones gets injured we lose anyway" sentiment. He's not so amazing that we're lost without him. Kris Jenkins is that good. Considering the backups, we're probably in that boat if Favre gets injured as well. But Thomas Jones?

There are other RB's out there capable of doing well vs crappy teams (or when the run-blocking is very good) & 3 ypc against good ones (or when the run-blocking is very bad).

The Jets' ground game in 2008 is a good situation for a RB to be in. There are guys out there who can split carries with Leon without the season being in the crapper. Players like Najeh Davenport also seemed capable of 120+ yards (on 5+ ypc) and a couple of TD's against the likes of the Rams last year.

What happened to Pittsburgh when Willie Parker went down again this year? Was their season "over" or did they just give those carries to Mewelde Moore (who hadn't started a game since 2005)?

I heard Cedric Houston is having second thoughts of leaving... maybe he can... :lol:

To the point: I wish we had a 3rd back. It's impractical not to have one.

Nugent is back.

So I assume he'll get some carries.

I swear this scenario happened to me once in madden 09. I had the quarters set all the way up to 15 minutes and kept getting more and more injuries until towards the end of the game I had an I-form set and it was Richardson and Nugent in it. I don't know how to explain that but it was funny.

Just make sure you start the game thread and leave the coaching to Mangini.;)

:rl:

You misread that, or i write like an idiot...hmm?

I meant we'd be screwed in this particular game, not forever. If Jones goes down this week we'd have to platoon Leon with..._____???? I totally agree that Jones is a very replaceable player. I don't buy into the fact that Captain Average suddenly got better at age 30.

Jones won't get injured. It's not like he overextends himself on plays, and he certainly isn't tubby. I would be stunned if he got injured. I don't think he is a great back by any means, but he is definitely a very good compiler. He does not get injured.

:rl:

You misread that, or i write like an idiot...hmm?

I meant we'd be screwed in this particular game, not forever. If Jones goes down this week we'd have to platoon Leon with..._____???? I totally agree that Jones is a very replaceable player. I don't buy into the fact that Captain Average suddenly got better at age 30.

Chicago sure missed after they let him go.

I think he's a good player, better than average, but not elite. But it's quite possible for a subsitute to step in and have a good game-it's not like Jones is doing this all on his own.

I think he's a good player, better than average, but not elite. But it's quite possible for a subsitute to step in and have a good game-it's not like Jones is doing this all on his own.

Huh? I don't think we could get Forte off the Bears for Jones and a single draft pick right now.

They missed him because they replaced him with Benson. Jones is average to above average. i.e. good line, does well. bad line, does bad

Thomas Jones getting injured?! Have you guys lost your minds?

Look at his bicepts... he's not getting hurt.

Well maybe he will have to go to the bathroom sometime during the game. Perhaps a # 2. He would miss some snaps, they should have a plan b.

:)

Jones won't get injured. It's not like he overextends himself on plays, and he certainly isn't tubby. I would be stunned if he got injured. I don't think he is a great back by any means, but he is definitely a very good compiler. He does not get injured.

Seriously?

Because it is possibly for anyone to get injured. I'm just saying.

Archived