Pass rush- concerned?

Matt39

Now it's hard to even bring this up because yesterday was such a great win....but, the Jets still seem to struggle getting to the QB when they dont send a blitz. Collins for the most part had all day and we lucked out with the Titans drops early.

Guess we will see. Kind of why we drafted Gholston, but he's a stiff.

Now it's hard to even bring this up because yesterday was such a great win....but, the Jets still seem to struggle getting to the QB when they dont send a blitz. Collins for the most part had all day and we lucked out with the Titans drops early.

Jenkins and Pouha busted through a few times... dont really think its an issue..

I think Collins has been sacked like 4 times all year, no its not a concern.

my thoughts exactly Matt. collins didn't have all day but our blitzing stunts were picked up everytime or they came so far around the outside they took themselves out of the play.

this is a definete area that needs improving though.

I see this improving though and can only hope the opposing q'back tests revis when he has time to throw.

Cutler will be a nice target to hone our skills on ;)

Tennessee has let up six sacks all season coming into yesterdays game. Six.

The Titans only had the ball for 19 minutes.

How can f'ing sacks do you want? And when you're up 10, 14 & 21 points, you're not exactly going to send seven, eight guys at the Quarterback. Shouldn't be sending three, but you shouldn't be sending seven or eight either. Case in point, Tennessee has a fantastic Offensive Line and the Jets got a good amount of pressure for 19 minutes of Football, including a strip sack by Calvin Pace.

it's a slight concern, imo. although, like already said, the titans don't let anybody get to collins.

you mean the titans that don't let anyone run the ball?

we did get enough pressure to hurry him some but there sure were a lot of dropped balls that weren't Kerry's fault.

we can improve in this area

How can f'ing sacks do you want? And when you're up 10, 14 & 21 points, you're not exactly going to send seven, eight guys at the Quarterback. Shouldn't be sending three, but you shouldn't be sending seven or eight either. Case in point, Tennessee has a fantastic Offensive Line and the Jets got a good amount of pressure for 19 minutes of Football, including a strip sack by Calvin Pace.

I didnt realize that Joe. Thanks.

As mentioned before, that was his 6th time being sacked this past week. It could be the result of not everyone being able to watch the game, but our pass rush, while not accumulating a ton of sacks, was very affective. ESPN just ran a stat that when we sent 5+ rushers, Collins was 4-15 or something with a 66 QB rating and some other aweful stats, whereas when we sent 4 or less he was much more affective. Collins usually gets the ball away quickly, while his line does a fantastic job of protecting him, however our pass rush was constantly collapsing the pocket and forcing errant throws. I truly feel that once the weather gets bad and if our running game allows us a lead, the opposing teams will be forced to throw more on us and than we'll start notching up the sacks...even though we are top 5 in sacks forced in the league.

I am concerned about our ability to sack the QB with only 3 or 4 guys rushing. The Patriots exposed a weakness which is our difficulty dealing with a spread offense.

But we do play on the East Coast so lets lock up a first round bye, and if a team wants to come into the Meadowlands in mid January with a spread offense, good luck to them.

Could not explain it any clearer than you did. BTW Jets are 2nd or 3rd in NFL in sacks. So.............

Also, regarding Titans dropping passes, clearly on at least half of them the reciever "dropped" the pass because of tight coverage and or fearing a big hit coming from an LB or DB.

On the one long completion from Collins to Scaife, Revis had excellent coverage but went for the int instead of the hit.

By the way, McCarreins still really sux doesnt he?

No, I'm not concerned.

Collins didn't exactly have "all day" to throw. No, I didn't have a stopwatch on him but basically there were enough guys collapsing the offensive line to make him have to make a throw.

Personally, I liked what I saw from Gholston. Didn't look as lost to me and seemed to have more purpose in his game. There was one play where Collins flushed right and VG was chasing him. Not what we want from the #6 overall to be sure...but it's gonna take this guy some time.

Archived