Jets First Round Pick

Spudicus

So I was looking at walter football's mock draft today and it mentioned they have a mock database so out of curiosity I thought I would check it out to see if there is any consensus out there as to who the Jets would/should/might pick and here it is (I've only used mocks updated recently to account for players declaring and staying):

Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois (2 times)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/mockdrafts.htm

Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/nflmockdraft.html

James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio St. (2 times)

http://www.heavenhasfallen.com/2009/01/nfl-mock-draft-09-updated.html)

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/2009_nfl_mock_draft/Afro_Comb/2132/1b

Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009matt.php

Knowshon Moreno, RB Georgia (3 times)

http://www.fantasyfootballxtreme.com/nfl-draft-info/nfl-mock-draft/

http://nflnr.com/09-nfl-draft/mock-round-1/

http://www.draftking.com/nfl/2009/mockdraft.shtml

Alphonso Smith , CB, Wake Forest (2 times)

http://footballjabber.com/nfl-draft/nfl-mock-draft/

http://draftace.com/mockdraft_secondhalf.htm

Everette Brown, Florida State, DE/OLB

http://draftguru.wordpress.com/

Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State

http://www.footballdraftanalysis.com/Mock1.html

Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn State

http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Mock-Draft

Michael Oher OT, Ole Miss

http://www.draftseason.com/lupagus-nfl-mock-draft

DJ Moore, CB, Vanderbilt

http://www.draftempire.com/nfl_mock_draft

Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

http://www.drafttek.com/round12009.asp

LB, Rey Maualuga, USC http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock_Drafts/2009_nfl_mock_draft.htm

So to sum up

CB : 6 mocks

RB: 4 Mocks

LB: 4 Mocks

WR: 1 Mock

OT: One Idiot

QB: One Wackaloon

No consensus on player or position but there is a consensus on needs CB/LB/RB.

Cant see why people have a taking a RB first round. That was the Jet's biggest strength this season. Jones didnt show any signs of slowing down either. RB isnt a position you need to groom for a year or two. Why would we address a position that we excel at instead of the glaring holes.

Vontae Davis would make a lot of sense. I am not sure who I want us to pick just yet, I need some time before I can starting making decisions. I do like the thought of Revis and Davis. 2 very atheletic cover corners.

He seems like a cant miss and I really cant say that about any of the skills positions at that spot. CB is the biggest need on D IMO.

Jones has lost a step (good oline play made up for it), Leon is getting old, will be 27 by the time the season starts, it's logical to get a true gamebreaker at RB. Moreno will be 22 by the start of the season McCoy 21. This year seems like the perfect storm to get a talented RB late in the draft given the fact most of the teams ahead of us have a RB or one in waiting except the Browns and Chargers. I'd rather see a LB but if one isn't there I'd rather see RB than CB or WR, we have no RB depth and haven't for 3 years we are one injury away from 2006 all over again. So RB might not be a bad idea.

I don't want a running back--the position is interchangeable as long as you have a good O-Line (see Denver for the longest time and New England). Going by comittee with Leon getting the slight majority of carries doesn't seem like too bad of an idea. We have to prioritize with this pick: we have several weaknesses and aren't in a position to take luxuries. I'd go CB, safety, or LB.

Cornerbacks are only as good as the rest of the Defense if the QB has time he can throw anywhere. The #2 corner position was picked on because Revis is so good lowery wasn't ready yet and Law was too damn slow. A decent CB at number 2 is all that is needed, a little speed and good either man or press cover skills, as long as we fix the blitz. Look at GB two awesome corners lead the league in INT...how good was that D huh? Drafting a CB in the first round so close to drafting Revis is lunacy. Yes we need one but not at that price when round 2 can give us what we need.

Jones has lost a step (good oline play made up for it), Leon is getting old, will be 27 by the time the season starts, it's logical to get a true gamebreaker at RB. Moreno will be 22 by the start of the season McCoy 21. This year seems like the perfect storm to get a talented RB late in the draft given the fact most of the teams ahead of us have a RB or one in waiting except the Browns and Chargers. I'd rather see a LB but if one isn't there I'd rather see RB than CB or WR, we have no RB depth and haven't for 3 years we are one injury away from 2006 all over again. So RB might not be a bad idea.

:rl:

I don't mean too old to play but how long could he be the starter before he'd have to be replaced, I'm the sure the ware and tear would get to him quick if he got the high share of carries. In his current role if he keeps his legs and doesn't get hurt could play 4-6 more years..but those are a lot of ifs.

I'd rather get a CB with the first pick and then get a RB or WR with the second pick. I'd love it if the took a CB with the first pick then traded up and got the best RB that fell or if they took RB - Greene in the second. Greene and Washington would be a nice pair of backs.

CB - Domonique Johnson is someone to look at, he is big and fast as hell. He could go any where from 2nd to 4th depending on what he does in the senior bowl and combine. If he does really good in both I could see him getting picked late first but he'd have to really do something to stand out.

Cant see why people have a taking a RB first round. That was the Jet's biggest strength this season. Jones didnt show any signs of slowing down either. RB isnt a position you need to groom for a year or two. Why would we address a position that we excel at instead of the glaring holes.

I could not agree more. See Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, Steve Slaton, etc. from this year. Besides, aren't we all complaining that we don't see enough of Leon in the offense as it stands now! Bring in a 1st Rd. RB and you might as well forget about him all together.

Cornerbacks are only as good as the rest of the Defense if the QB has time he can throw anywhere.

Exactly! We had ZERO pass rush down the stretch which is why we should go with a stud DE like Everett Brown (FSU), Aaron Maybin (PSU) or Michael Johnson (GT). You can't go wrong with some help at LB either (especially with this draft class). Plus you can get a quality CB in the 2nd round like a Darius Butler (UCONN) Alfonson Smith (Wake) or Victor Harris (VaTech).

Exactly, and even if we don't draft a CB this year I'd like to see how good Lowery is when a QB is hurried to the point he can't make all his reads and give the WR separation. I want defensive value from this pick a sure fire starter that will make an impact, I have more than enough faith in Ryan to pick that guy. However if it gets to the point that getting a defensive player at 17 would be a reach either trade down or get a sure fire offensive weapon that we can put in there on day one out of spring training. No underdeveloped WR that has no clue how to run a complex route and make adjustments.

Cornerbacks are only as good as the rest of the Defense if the QB has time he can throw anywhere. The #2 corner position was picked on because Revis is so good lowery wasn't ready yet and Law was too damn slow. A decent CB at number 2 is all that is needed, a little speed and good either man or press cover skills, as long as we fix the blitz. Look at GB two awesome corners lead the league in INT...how good was that D huh? Drafting a CB in the first round so close to drafting Revis is lunacy. Yes we need one but not at that price when round 2 can give us what we need.

You cannot count on a guy you are willing to throw out there being there in the 2nd round. It's nice to say that you can wait for that position, but look at '06. If they didn't take D'Brick at #4 they might have ended up with Marcus McNeil (good) or Winston Justice (steaming pile of ****) at LT for the last three years. That's why there are runs on players at certain positions. They've got to grade the players, but taking a player where you NEED a starter is never lunacy.

Alright name a team thats drafted 2 CB in the first round a year apart? It just doesn't happen because first round corners all expect to be the number one guy and be paid like it. It's not Lunacy to get a player we need, what's Lunacy is setting up possible strife and dedicating that much money to one position when we are tight to the cap already. However that being said I'd love to be wrong and end up with a lethal corner combo, just think there are better ways to go about it than getting another 1st rounder.

Edit: Correction, I mean with 1 year in between, thanks Mick.

Alright name a team thats drafted 2 CB in the first round a year apart? It just doesn't happen because first round corners all expect to be the number one guy and be paid like it. It's not Lunacy to get a player we need, what's Lunacy is setting up possible strife and dedicating that much money to one position when we are tight to the cap already. However that being said I'd love to be wrong and end up with a lethal corner combo, just think there are better ways to go about it than getting another 1st rounder.

We didn't draft a CB in the first round last year.

That was the Jets biggest strenght last season. If Clemens, Ratliff, or another rookie were to start next year we would have to rely more heavily on the running game than we did with Favre this year. TJ will be 31, Leon may be to small to be an everydown back, so we need to bring somebody in. The Jets were 19th in rushing attempts this past year with 422, while the Ravens lead the league with 592, Atlanta was second with 560, Vikes 3rd with 519.

Cause Jones will be 31. He may have 1 good year left in him, but you can't be sure. Curtis Martin led the league in rushing at 31 and then got 700 yds the next and FINAL year.

Jones has at least 2 more good years I bet. His situation isn't quite the same as Martin's, as Jones was not a feature back for the first few years of his career so in spite of his age he does not have the same kind of wear and tear that Martin did at this point. Drafting a running back in the first round would be stupid, the only offensive position we should consider in the first should be WR, but we should focus on linebacker if we can.

Tell that to the Titans who already had Chris Henry and Lendale white, both capable runners, they drafted Chris Johnson anyway, focused on the run and got into the playoffs. The Jets are going to be a run focused team next year if we do nothing about the QB's the more talented RB's we have the better off we are I think. That being said I think so far we can all agree LB should be the priority, everything else comes second.

Tell that to the Titans who already had Chris Henry and Lendale white, both capable runners, they drafted Chris Johnson anyway, focused on the run and got into the playoffs. The Jets are going to be a run focused team next year if we do nothing about the QB's the more talented RB's we have the better off we are I think. That being said I think so far we can all agree LB should be the priority, everything else comes second.

Well I'm assuming you mean Chris Brown not Chris Henry. Brown is NOT a capable back, and certainly isn't comparable to Jones or Washington. Brown didn't have a single carry this year, so you can't seriously think he's on the same level as Jones or Washington. It is a ludicrous comparison, and Jones still has at least 2 good years left. The Jets would be nice to use a 1st round pick on a RB.

Well I'm assuming you mean Chris Brown not Chris Henry. Brown is NOT a capable back, and certainly isn't comparable to Jones or Washington. Brown didn't have a single carry this year, so you can't seriously think he's on the same level as Jones or Washington. It is a ludicrous comparison, and Jones still has at least 2 good years left. The Jets would be nice to use a 1st round pick on a RB.

No he meant Chris henry, the guy the Titans drafted in round 2 the year after they drafted Lendale White in round 2 and the year before they took Johnson in round 1

http://www.nfl.com/players/chrishenry/profile?id=HEN600394

Edit: Correction, I mean with 1 year in between, thanks Mick.

Washington took Carlos Rogers, Sean Taylor and Landry all with first round picks all within a four year span. Not all CB's but still secondary.

Seattle: Josh Wilson (55th, 2006 - didn't have a first round pick that year) and Kelly Jennings (31st, 2007)

Cincinnati: Leon Hall (18th, 2007) and Jonathan Joseph (24th, 2006)

San Diego: Quentin Jammer (5th, 2002) and Sammy Davis (31st, 2003)

Buffalo: Antoine Winfield (19th, 1999) and Nate Clements (21st, 2001)

Carolina: Thomas Davis (14th, 2004) and Chris Gamble (28th, 2005)

Moral of the story...it does happen...it happens rather ofter actually.

Washington took Carlos Rogers, Sean Taylor and Landry all with first round picks all within a four year span. Not all CB's but still secondary.

Seattle: Josh Wilson (55th, 2006 - didn't have a first round pick that year) and Kelly Jennings (31st, 2007)

Cincinnati: Leon Hall (18th, 2007) and Jonathan Joseph (24th, 2006)

San Diego: Quentin Jammer (5th, 2002) and Sammy Davis (31st, 2003)

Buffalo: Antoine Winfield (19th, 1999) and Nate Clements (21st, 2001)

Carolina: Thomas Davis (14th, 2004) and Chris Gamble (28th, 2005)

Moral of the story...it does happen...it happens rather ofter actually.

I agree with Spudicus that its uneccessary to take a #2 CB in the first unless its BPA by far, and in terms of you're examples I think they're a little different than our situation. If I'm not mistaken, most of those teams were drafting the 2nd CB, after just taking one the year before, to be their #1 corner so it wouldn't be like us drafting a #2 CB in the 1st round.

-Thomas Davis was moved to LB if I'm not mistaken and was more of a S/LB tweener. Either way safety and CB are different positions with different responsibilities.

-Not sure what the thought process was for Winfield and Clements so you might have a point there.

-Again, not exactly sure but wasn't Jammer a bit of a disappointment and, therefore, Sammy Davis was drafted to be a #1 CB?

-I'm pretty sure the Bengals were trying to put a #1 CB next to Joseph in getting Hall, not the other way around.

-Again with Seattle I believe Jennings was drafted to be the #1 next to Wilson since he was the higher rated prospect.

-Washington was a different situation also. Landry and Taylor had different responsibilities so its not like drafting 2 CBs in the 1st round in a row.

Taking a CB in the first is crazy because we have one good one already, but taking a RB makes sense? Newsflash, two or more CBs on the field at any one time, only one HB. We already have two good RBs. BPA. Otherwise, all things equal I'll take a CB over a RB. Talk to me about ILB if you want to talk need, not RB.

I don't want a running back--the position is interchangeable as long as you have a good O-Line (see Denver for the longest time and New England). Going by comittee with Leon getting the slight majority of carries doesn't seem like too bad of an idea. We have to prioritize with this pick: we have several weaknesses and aren't in a position to take luxuries. I'd go CB, safety, or LB.

Not to mention, it's not like it's a position where it's so hard to find guys in any season who will be good. Every single season there's someone else who's supposedly the "most talented RB to come out since ______." Every freakin' season. So to me, it's the kind of position you address when you need it, not before you need it.

This is a win-now team. We don't need a 3rd RB now nearly as much as we need new starters at ILB, CB, S, and/or WR. That doesn't mean reach ridiculously for a position of immediate need if the talent level doesn't justify the pick.

But I'm sure Jerod Mayo was not the player everyone had pegged as the most talented player left on the board when NE took him to fill in that gaping ILB hole they had.

Only way the Jets could screw up is to draft OL, RB, NT, or TE in round one. And probably DE/OLB tweener. Give the guy you took #6 less than 1 year ago a shot and keep a capable backup around (Bowens or whoever).

Jones doesn't have many years left. That being said, I don't see how they could take a RB in Round One. They need a CB, WR (along with LB, DE, QB -- lol).

But if they took Knowshon I would forgive them since he is a local kid. :-P

Jones doesn't have many years left. That being said, I don't see how they could take a RB in Round One. They need a CB, WR (along with LB, DE, QB -- lol).

:-P

Jones is gone after this year unless he takes a pay cut. No way the Jets pay him $6M for one season at age 32.

That being said, I think Jones 2007 and Jones 2008 has shown that the OL is infinitely more important than the individual RB. Finding a new RB for 2010 won't be hard, whether through the draft or through free agency, and it shouldn't cost the team in terms of draft picks or cap space.

Flip the teams for McFadden and Forte (both of whom are talented) and I'm sure each of their seasons would have looked quite different.

Archived