Building an ELITE defense

stoicsentry

Do you think the Jets will have an ELITE (top 5) defense next year? I know our schedule is tougher but I think we will.

1) We have playmakers at every position on defense already: Rhodes and Revis at DB, Harris and Pace at LB and Jenkins on the line.

2) We can pick up Scott or Leonard in free agency to aid our LB corps or backfield

3) Spend our first round draft pick on the best available DB or DE

4) We have a head coach that is not a whiny little baby now and will bring the pain on defense. Even last year's defense would have looked a hell of a lot better if we kept the pressure on.

No...

We probably have the worst depth in the league on the defensive side of the ball. We were rotating guys on the secondary and the dline that had no business being in the NFL.

I also am not convinced Ryan's style will work here. A lot of you guys forget the 2006 playoff game against New England. Mangini sent the blitz every single play, and they simply couldn't get there.

It's important to understand that our pass rushers consist of Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, and Vernon Gholston. Sure their pay checks suggest that they can get to the QB, but I haven't seen it consistently.

Playmakers at every position on defense? The Jets need help at corner and safety not to mention linebacker.

Hah, I meant every type of position. We have 2 playmakers at LB, 2 at DB, another on the line, etc. Not every position literally. Who has that? The fact is our defense was pretty damn good most of last year (until the 2nd half) and with new acquisitions and a much much better coach...

We're looking good. Kris Jenkins is an absolute BEAST of a run stuffer, we have a good edge rusher in Pace, solid defense up the middle with Harris and a cornerback that you really can't throw at. This team is going to be good against the run next year just as it was this year. Now, if you add a good CB to compliment Revis and if Rex really does bring the pain then it's going to be hard as hell to throw on this team as well.

No...

We probably have the worst depth in the league on the defensive side of the ball. We were rotating guys on the secondary and the dline that had no business being in the NFL.

I also am not convinced Ryan's style will work here. A lot of you guys forget the 2006 playoff game against New England. Mangini sent the blitz every single play, and they simply couldn't get there.

It's important to understand that our pass rushers consist of Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, and Vernon Gholston. Sure their pay checks suggest that they can get to the QB, but I haven't seen it consistently.

This defense is different from '06 big time IMO. There were games we did reach the QB but we didn't send them, it was a horrible scheme we got exposed and didn't make adjustments. I do agree with you on the depth though. I think Rex will get the most out of our guys, we'll just have to wait and see.

how come for the first half of the season we got to the qb so easily, we were racking up sacks like it was nobodies business and all of a sudden it all just stopped.

ellis had like 6 sacks in the first 5 weeks, i thought it was gonna break records. wtf?

IMO having our LB core in pass coverage so much really worn them down as the season came to towards the end, especially Pace.

I think Ryan will get much more out of what we have. But they could definitely use a couple of additions (Scott, Leonhard) to possibly be an elite defense. And we ain't getting anybody in FA if we have to bring back Favre at $13 million.

how come for the first half of the season we got to the qb so easily, we were racking up sacks like it was nobodies business and all of a sudden it all just stopped.

ellis had like 6 sacks in the first 5 weeks, i thought it was gonna break records. wtf?

+1

I think the talent is there, just have to put them in the position to make those plays. Let the pass rushers, rush the passer.

somebody on our staff needs to start teaching some technique (rip,swim etc.)because i see NONE of that from ANY of our defensive players...you can't just bull rush and run through or over offensive linemen in the NFL on every play...the only players i've seen with any kind of a pass rush arsenal are Kris Jenkins and Adrian Murell:box:..and Murell only showed those moves in pre-season because he couldn't get any real playing time in the regular season!!!

It all depends on how much you want to blame that fat women we had as a coach. I think our defense is 3 pieces away and a scheme change from being elite.

Sign Scott and Leonhard, draft/sign a CB who could cover a bit and we'll be in business...

The biggest problem with our defense is our big LB's spent the last half of the sseason chasing around backs and TE's running routes for 8 seconds a play..

1. Sign Asomugha

2. Sign Suggs/Ray Ray (I think Scott is the one Baltimore keeps)

3. Draft DE (I hope Everette Brown is still on the board at 17, a distinct possibility)

4. Let Favre play in Minnesota

5. Let Kellen hand the ball off and use Dustin, Cotchery and Stuckey, PLEASE TRADE LEVRANEAUS COLES...he is whiny, concussion-prone and our 3rd best Slot Receiver (Shouldn't even be our #2, let Stuckey take over that position)

6. Run the ball with T.J. and Leon

7. Pettine better blitz like Bob Sutton in the Arizona Game.

So let it be done.

fine franchise, fine, that might inhibit our signing him.

but, oakland re-signing him, if we don't even ask, I think that'd be ridiculous to not even try. But i guess out FA signings all depend on FAVRE A MONTH FROM NOW?!?!?! that's BULLS***. Let's do our own thing and use Clemens

Maybe only 2 slots to get ahead of SD. Most of the teams between 10-15 aren't going to be looking for ILB help and have bigger needs. Lot depends on the combine.

I say Draft Pettigrew!!!!!! to give the Jets the best TE tandom in league to faciliate the

run, pass, and redzone.

since we have one of the best if not best defense coaching now. Then I say make him earn his money and put his money where his mouth is and coach up the defense we have now with some FA additions/subtractions. Draft heavily offense.

I say Draft Pettigrew!!!!!! to give the Jets the best TE tandom in league to faciliate the

run, pass, and redzone.

since we have one of the best if not best defense coaching now. Then I say make him earn his money and put his money where his mouth is and coach up the defense we have now with some FA additions/subtractions. Draft heavily offense.

I think we need at least 1 line backer. Preferably MAUALUGA!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we need at least 1 line backer. Preferably MAUALUGA!!!!!!!!!!!

We need an upgrade for sure. I'd be very happy with Maualuga, I'd love some of that USC speed and intensity. We have a lot of other needs that have to be addressed too (WR, D-line, CB) and it's likely that RM will be off the board at 17. I can't see us trading up for him to be honest.

Our defense is not far off being VERY good, we just absolutely suck balls in about 2 or 3 positions. With some upgrades it could be a hell of a group - Especially with Rex Ryan in control.

Our defense will not be elite next year, but I think they will be very good. I think having an attacking defense, instead of a read and react defense will help alot. Still, Jets need some depth. They were very fortunate this past year with injuries and still didn't make the playoffs.

Archived