Jets Off-Season To Do List: Offense

SoFlaJets

With their entire coaching staff now in place, here is a look at the Jets off-season to do list at each position as of February 17th 2009:

Quarterback: According to everything that has been published the Jets are content to head into training camp with Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, Erik Ainge and one more veteran as an insurance policy. When looking at the free agent market: Kurt Warner is going to retire or go back to Arizona, Kerry Collins is going back to Tennessee, and the Jets have no interest in Jeff Garcia. I doubt the Jets will pursue Kyle Boller or Rex Grossman, which narrows the field to Byron Leftwich, Dan Orlovsky, J.T. O'Sullivan, JP Losman, and Patrick Ramsey. Leftwich seems like the most likely guy to be brought in, although if the Rams release Marc Bulger keep an eye on him. In terms of the draft, if Mark Sanchez impresses the Jets over the next month they could consider him at #17 or potentially trade up for him if they like him that much.

Running Back: The biggest question here is if the Jets are going to attempt to re-sign fullback Tony Richardson. There are rumors he may go to San Francisco to join former running backs coach Jimmy Raye. However, the Jets would be wise to spend the money on him. It is hard to find a good fullback, unless they are confident Jehuu Calcrick can get the job done next year. In terms of a #3 running back, they do have Marcus Mason on the roster who had a great pre-season for Washington last year but I wouldn't be shocked if they spent a mid or late round pick on a RB. Don't expect Jesse Chatman to be re-signed.

Wide Receiver: The Jets need to decide whether or not they want to try again with Laveranues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey, and a more properly used David Clowney. If they do, they need to re- negotiate Coles' contract or potentially deal with him complaining again this off-season. Regardless of what happens with Coles, they Jets may have to take a hard look Percy Harvin or Jeremy Maclin if they are available at #17 to add a big play threat at the receiver position. The Jets won't pursue TJ Houshmandzadeh or Anquan Boldin, but an intriguing cheaper option could be Devery Henderson who is a proven deep threat.

Tight End: The Jets need to make a decision on Chris Baker. If they decide they don't want to pay him, they could pursue a guy like Dan Campbell who could provide the blocking neccessary for a #2 tight end, although he can't catch like Baker. I don't expect Bubba Franks to be brought back after a dissapointing season.

Offensive Line: The Jets are set with their five starters, although depth still remains a concern. Wayne Hunter and Robert Turner saw some action last year in certain packages but aren't proven NFL players yet. It wouldn't hurt if the Jets began looking for an eventual replacement for Alan Faneca and Damien Woody through the mid/late rounds of the draft.

New York Jets: And the Quarterback Is...

Posted Feb 17th 2009 5:00 PM by Josh Alper )

Filed Under: Jets, AFC East

Because the NFL season never ends, we present our 2009 Offseason Roadmaps for front offices to navigate through the summer.

What a difference five weeks made for the New York Jets. From 8-3 to 9-7. from Eric Mangini as head coach to Rex Ryan, and from Brett Favre as the starting quarterback to, well, your guess is as good as ours. Those last five games sent the franchise into yet another new direction, one that will only start coming into focus when free agency opens on Feb. 27.

While the Jets have no real worries about losing players on their roster, they have a few glaring holes that need to be filled this offseason. None is bigger than the starting quarterback, because that decision, along with Ryan's hiring, will be the one that officially sends the team down its new path.

Free Agents: LB Eric Barton (UFA), CB Ahmad Carroll (UFA), RB Jesse Chatman (UFA), S Abram Elam (RFA), K Jay Feely (UFA), TE Bubba Franks (UFA), CB Ty Law (UFA), DT C.J. Mosley (UFA), K Mike Nugent (UFA), CB Hank Poteat (UFA), S J.R. Reed (UFA), FB Tony Richardson (UFA), LB Cody Spencer (UFA)

Draft Picks: 1 (17), 2 (52), 3 (76), 4 (111), 5 (145), 6 (180), 7 (201, 211)

Needs

1. Quarterback. Right now they've got Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge on the roster. Clemens started eight games in 2007, but failed to definitively nail down the starting role before Favre joined the team in '08. The other two have never played in a regular season game and none inspires much confidence about the immediate future. Expect to see them add a veteran QB, with names like Kyle Boller, Byron Leftwich and, if he becomes available, Marc Bulger at the top of the list. The draft may bring another candidate. If they fall in love with Mark Sanchez, it wouldn't be surprising to see them move up for a shot at him.

2. A consistent pass rush. Ryan has been brutally honest about Vernon Gholston's awful rookie year, saying that he's gotta decide if he's a player at this level. If he decides to put the work in, you have to figure that Ryan's the best bet to turn him into something. The Jets need it, because they will have to put pressure on opposing offenses to make Ryan's scheme a success, and they probably don't have enough cap space to chase someone like Terrell Suggs.

3. Secondary. As you can see above, the Jets have several corners hitting free agency, and none of them would have been locks to return even if they were under contract. Darrelle Revis is a star on one side, but they'll need growth from Dwight Lowery or a new face opposite him to shut down receivers while the rest of the defense gets after the passer. Ryan has talked about turning Kerry Rhodes loose, and he'll need someone like Baltimore's Jim Leonhard to provide steady enough play at strong safety to make that happen. Leonhard, as it happens, is a free agent.

Jet's fans have questions. But Jets fans want answers. Who will QB the team next year? That's on the mind of the die-hards, among other questions. Here goes:

THE JETS BLOG

"According to a team spokesman:

'The Jets have no interest in Michael Vick.'

It's probably just as well because a horribly erratic, undersized and rusty athlete of questionable moral fibre (and that's being kind) doesn't seem like he would be the best fit to lead a team in transition (or sell PSLs, if that's ownership's primary concern)."

JET NATION

"The topic everyone IS talking about

ProFootballTalk thinks that the Jets could be among a second tier of teams interested in disgruntled Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin.

Other possibilities include, in our view, the Jets (if they dump Laveranues Coles), the Ravens (if Derrick Mason is gone), the Jaguars, the Titans, the Redskins, the Vikings, the Buccaneers, the Seahawks, the 49ers, and the Rams. (We realize that the last three possibilities would constitute trades within the division. But, remember, we

Tight End: The Jets need to make a decision on Chris Baker. If they decide they don't want to pay him,

Offensive Line: The Jets are set with their five starters.

i don't understand the Chris Baker "decision" when they signed him long term last year. that decision was already made.

also now that Favre is gone the most cap savings the team can get is by cutting Brandon Moore. So im not sure that they are "set" with their five starters. They should be, but that doesn't mean they are...

i don't understand the Chris Baker "decision" when they signed him long term last year. that decision was already made.

also now that Favre is gone the most cap savings the team can get is by cutting Brandon Moore. So im not sure that they are "set" with their five starters. They should be, but that doesn't mean they are...

Bit --I have spoken to couple of people that said the Baker contract was reported incorrectly. There was not an extension given but more like bonus money to appease for last year, and force the Jets to make a decision this offseason

Actually, Baker's contract was set so they could cut him before this year and be off the hook for the entire deal. I remember that specifically as we all praised Tannenbaum for it.

Actually, Baker's contract was set so they could cut him before this year and be off the hook for the entire deal. I remember that specifically as we all praised Tannenbaum for it.

Yep. They gave him nothing. He got non-guaranteed bonus money in an extension that he may never see.

Baker drew a line in the sand before the draft. Then we went out and drafted Keller and that quashed his little rebellion. So we gave him an extension that's worth nothing unless we feel like paying it.

ProFootballTalk thinks that the Jets could be among a second tier of teams interested in disgruntled Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin.

Other possibilities include, in our view, the Jets (if they dump Laveranues Coles), the Ravens (if Derrick Mason is gone), the Jaguars, the Titans, the Redskins, the Vikings, the Buccaneers, the Seahawks, the 49ers, and the Rams. (We realize that the last three possibilities would constitute trades within the division. But, remember, we

The only good thing about Sanchez is the idea of a jersey that reads "Dirty Sanchez" on the back.

Resigning Tony Richardson is a must. It seems like its going to be between us and a return to Kansas City for him, at least thats what it sounded like when he was on Sirius a week ago. He wants to play another two years and I'd welcome him back for sure. He is still one of the best in the game.

I just hope the Jets can build their defense and wideouts to help out with our QB position. I don't think we need a star at the QB position but I think having a dominant defense is something we need.

If we're going to go with a young QB like Ratliff or Clemens then I definitely think we need a wideout who can help either or.

I just hope the Jets can build their defense and wideouts to help out with our QB position. I don't think we need a star at the QB position but I think having a dominant defense is something we need.

If we're going to go with a young QB like Ratliff or Clemens then I definitely think we need a wideout who can help either or.

Like someone who can actually get more than 2 feet of separation from a DB.

the Jets need a big physical reciever, especially if they are going to run the ball Hakeem Nicks is the guy, plus he'll be available at #17 and his "value" should be in that area.

Schotty likes to run fades, Nicks is ideal for that route.

if you want a fast guy his teammate a NC brandon tate will be available in the later rounds (probably 3)

the Jets need a big physical reciever, especially if they are going to run the ball Hakeem Nicks is the guy, plus he'll be available at #17 and his "value" should be in that area.

Schotty likes to run fades, Nicks is ideal for that route.

if you want a fast guy his teammate a NC brandon tate will be available in the later rounds (probably 3)

what about Heyward-Bey? He might be there at #17.

Archived