Dr. James Andrews: Brady on track for full recovery - ESPN.com/AP

And if Dr. James Andrews says it, that is what is going to happen. Nobody is more accurate or more respected than him.

:Typotux:

Surgeon: Brady's team handled infection

Associated Press

LAS VEGAS -- Tom Brady's chances are good for a full recovery from last September's knee injury, noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews said Wednesday.

Andrews, a Birmingham, Ala.-based orthopedist for elite athletes, said Brady's doctors were aggressive in finding and treating the infection after his operation. Andrews added that preventing infection in the Patriots quarterback's knee was nearly impossible, no matter how good the doctors are.

"He had excellent care, and he had an aggressive approach early on with early recognition to be able to control the infection, and therefore he's gotten through it," Andrews said. "They didn't sit on it and wait on it, hide with their head in the sand. They went after it immediately."

Brady was injured in New England's 2008 season opener and underwent knee surgery to repair torn ligaments in October. He has not given a timetable for his return to the field.

Andrews said Brady's doctors washed out the quarterback's knee several times to get rid of the infection and were able to save the graft that replaced his torn ligaments.

Andrews was in Las Vegas as part of a medical panel that said doctors are seeing more children -- especially girls -- suffer knee injuries as they playing sports without enough time off. The doctors met during an annual meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.

Doctors said more than 200,000 anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction surgeries are performed each year in the United States. Athletes with torn ligaments need the surgery and rehabilitation to use their legs for high-level activities like pivoting, twisting and cutting.

Andrews has performed surgery on hundreds of high-profile athletes. He said even surgeons themselves often overestimate their success in getting athletes of all levels back to performing as they did before they were injured. Andrews most recently performed season-ending shoulder surgery on Orlando Magic point guard Jameer Nelson.

Andrews said that of 58 professional football, hockey and basketball players he performed ACL surgery on from 2001-2006, 37 returned to play -- 64 percent.

While doctors might be better than ever, they shouldn't make athletes, their families and teams believe they will see miracle recoveries from serious injuries, Andrews said.

"You've got to realize that orthopedic surgeons are optimistic by the nature of the problems we deal with," Andrews said. "When you listen to your orthopedic surgeon and he tells you you're going to be well in a certain period of time, you best triple that and you'll be closer to reality."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

he wont be same playa this year

next year probably

Be afraid Assmop, be very afraid.

BTW - I see all this harping about what elite wr to go out and sign - makes me laugh. Who exactly is going to throw this elit wr the ball? You all want Matty Ice? ;) I heard it can be had for a price.

We'll give you a seventh rounder and a case of beer for Cassell.

Good luck with whatever sh*tty qb you have leading your team this year. I can see the offensive game plan now - run, run, pass incomplete. Should be good times....for rival fans! ;)

Be afraid Assmop, be very afraid.

BTW - I see all this harping about what elite wr to go out and sign - makes me laugh. Who exactly is going to throw this elit wr the ball? You all want Matty Ice? ;) I heard it can be had for a price.

you will be disappointed

the ball will come out of hands much quicker this year, more incompletions

as he will be gunshy

that said a 75% brady is better than mama cass

you forget your schedule is not cupcake city this year.

matty ice will exceed anything that Brady has accomplished without cameras:D

you will be disappointed

the ball will come out of hands much quicker this year, more incompletions

as he will be gunshy

that said a 75% brady is better than mama cass

you forget your schedule is not cupcake city this year.

matty ice will exceed anything that Brady has accomplished without cameras:D

Matty Ice - I meant Cassel. Screw Ryan. POS went to BC. ;)

Well Matt Cassell's trade value just went in the toilet.

Not really

If and when the Pats trade Cassel the other teams will already know that Brady is ready. It behooves the teams wanting Cassel to pay a fair price and get the deal done so he can get into passing camp and into the playbook.

This is not the clearance isle at Walmart waiting for the price to come down.

This is juts to keep Cassells trade value up and the Pats leverage up on it... otherwise they would never, nor would they let anyone else speak about Tom's injury.

Because, you know, James Andrews is an employee of the New England Patriots. ;)

I don't understand how Brady's injury status has any influence on Cassel's trade value. If a team needs a QB - they need a QB. I am completely confused as to why Tom Brady's status would give pause to, for example, Minnesota. How does Brady's status effect what Minny would be willing to give up for Cassel?

I don't understand how Brady's injury status has any influence on Cassel's trade value. If a team needs a QB - they need a QB. I am completely confused as to why Tom Brady's status would give pause to, for example, Minnesota. How does Brady's status effect what Minny would be willing to give up for Cassel?

Queens prob felt that a 4th for Sage is prob better than a 2nd for mama

maybe queens have same grade for each

pats may have turned down a 2nd as well

I get that - but that has nothing to do with Brady.

Economics

If Brady is hurt.. than pats would want more comp as they are taking on more risk by trading him and thus would want higher compensation

If brady is fine, than teams know pats are in a bind with $29m tied to cap

and can call their bluff and lower their demands...pats do not want to be stuck with cassell if brady is OK

Economics

If Brady is hurt.. than pats would want more comp as they are taking on more risk by trading him and thus would want higher compensation

If brady is fine, than teams know pats are in a bind with $29m tied to cap

and can call their bluff and lower their demands...pats do not want to be stuck with cassell if brady is OK

Yeah, but.........

Despite what the so called experts think, a high second (like with the Chiefs) or a late 1st (Bucs and Vikings) could be done for Cassel. After all, he cost a 7th.

The Patriots have a few big contracts on the horizon and while a plethora of draft picks would be nice. The lower a pick, the less likely they make the team. Conversely, the higher the more they need to spend.

I do not disagree with your points, but think they already planned for the contingency meaning they were looking to holding onto him if needed. I doubt the Patriots were going to be big players in FA.

Economics

If Brady is hurt Cassel doesnt go anywhere plain and simple.

If brady is fine, than teams know pats are in a bind with $29m tied to cap and can call their bluff and lower their demands...pats do not want to be stuck with cassell if brady is OK

NE will show that theyre prepared to keep Cassel if need be. Just like Bledsoe. They arent going to panic and dump MC for cheap. Some QB will get hurt in pre season or camp and that team will come calling if they dont want to scrap the 09 season.

Cassel is worth at least a 1st or high 2nd and at least a 15 Mil signing bonus. An 09 pick would be prefered but 2010 works too.

Nevertheless, if youre wishing Belichick gets the short end of this deal youre going to be disapointed.

If Brady is hurt Cassel doesnt go anywhere plain and simple.

NE will show that theyre prepared to keep Cassel if need be. Just like Bledsoe. They arent going to panic and dump MC for cheap. Some QB will get hurt in pre season or camp and that team will come calling if they dont want to scrap the 09 season.

Cassel is worth at least a 1st or high 2nd and at least a 15 Mil signing bonus. An 09 pick would be prefered but 2010 works too.

Nevertheless, if youre wishing Belichick gets the short end of this deal youre going to be disapointed.

If brady is fine like all the latest reports state..they want him out of there

i still predict to KC for Gonzalez

Archived