Jets may not bring in a vet QB

Sperm Edwards

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/assessing_the_new_york_jets_fr.html

One can argue that the Jets are taking a chance by not signing a veteran quarterback, but Ryan insists the organization is ready to go to battle with either Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff. The thinking here is that a Jeff Garcia or Byron Leftwich would be only stop-gap measures and the Jets need to find out if one of their current guys is the answer.

(FWIW)

This line of thinking ("the Jets need to find out if one of their current guys is the answer") would also suggest the Jets may not even draft a QB. That is, assuming those are the thoughts of Ryan & Tannenbaum & not Hutchinson surmising.

It is my belief that the desire to go with Clemens or Ratliff is one of the main reasons (if not the chief reason) that Schottenheimer was retained.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(FWIW)

This line of thinking ("the Jets need to find out if one of their current guys is the answer") would also suggest the Jets may not even draft a QB. That is, assuming those are the thoughts of Ryan & Tannenbaum & not Hutchinson surmising.

It is my belief that the desire to go with Clemens or Ratliff is one of the main reasons (if not the chief reason) that Schottenheimer was retained.

I agree.

My guess is that in someone's little mind at Florham Park, it's Clemens 1 and Ratliff 2 heading into camp. I still think that Ratliff might pull it out.

It is very interesting watching this team being built.

Normal NFL teams operate under the assumption that QB will be your highest paid position on the club.

The Jets have the luxury (if you want to call it that) of building out other positions at a premium, at the expense of the QB position.

the proof, of course will be in results. Interesting approach though.

Yup. I think it's the smart move, too. And I agree that drafting a QB doesn't make sense under this scenario. See what you have now, then address it accordingly next year if none of them work out - either with a high (trade up?) pick, or veteran FA or trade.

And, of course, this is why the trade for Favre put the franchise back a year. The team should already have this information.

It is very interesting watching this team being built.

Normal NFL teams operate under the assumption that QB will be your highest paid position on the club.

The Jets have the luxury (if you want to call it that) of building out other positions at a premium, at the expense of the QB position.

the proof, of course will be in results. Interesting approach though.

This is a good point, but eventually we are going to have to shell it ou. Especially, if Kellen Clemens wins the job hitting FA in 2010.

Yup. I think it's the smart move, too. And I agree that drafting a QB doesn't make sense under this scenario. See what you have now, then address it accordingly next year if none of them work out - either with a high (trade up?) pick, or veteran FA or trade.

And, of course, this is why the trade for Favre put the franchise back a year. The team should already have this information.

Sorry, but I call bull**** on that last line. If we didn't trade for Favre last year, the Jets are walking into the 2009 season with Chad Pennington at QB. The acquisition of Favre expedited the process of dumping Chad which is exactly what has allowed the Jets to take this approach of being able to find out about the players they already have at QB.

How are the JETS set back this year? Shotty knows what he has in Clemens and Ratliff... and good changes have happened because of the "win now" attitude the Favre move brought in...

yeah it's a great idea....:rolleyes:. this way when we find out that the qb's we have suck, we don't even have a qb to fall back on that's been in the system for a year. we can just go ahead and wait till next year's draft where, hopefully, we can get a qb. then we can waiti a couple of years till he develops into a franchise qb or we find out he sucks also. stupid approach, if you ask me. if one of the qb's falls to us 17 this yearm it should be a no-brainer to pick him.

yeah it's a great idea....:rolleyes:. this way when we find out that the qb's we have suck, we don't even have a qb to fall back on that's been in the system for a year. we can just go ahead and wait till next year's draft where, hopefully, we can get a qb. then we can waiti a couple of years till he develops into a franchise qb or we find out he sucks also. stupid approach, if you ask me. if one of the qb's falls to us 17 this yearm it should be a no-brainer to pick him.

How so? Just because they are the top QBs in this years draft does not mean they are a top 20 QB in the entire world.... which is what you would expect at the very least from a high 1st round pick...

(FWIW)

This seems a little ridiculous to me. They're clearly building for the now and not for the future. So why stop just short with the absolute most important piece to your team?

This seems a little ridiculous to me. They're clearly building for the now and not for the future. So why stop just short with the absolute most important piece to your team?

I think there is a "chance" we draft one, but there is zero value to bringing in a retread like Byron Leftwich or Marc Bulger.

Unless we're drafting a potential (hopeful) franchise QB, go WR at #17 and see what the young guys can do.

ASk the Pats... they dumped their young star for their old beat up QB... ;)

If defense is Top 5 in league you dont need great QB play in NFL..

you need game manager..

NFL teams with great defenses have proven this time and again in NFL

Maybe, just maybe, they know alittle bit more about the qbs they currently have on their roster, than you or I.

And, maybe they are comfortable with that.

heck, teh Pats went with Matt Cassel as their back-up to Tom Brady, how teh heck were they comfortable with that?

Maybe, just maybe, they know alittle bit more about the qbs they currently have on their roster, than you or I.

And, maybe they are comfortable with that.

heck, teh Pats went with Matt Cassel as their back-up to Tom Brady, how teh heck were they comfortable with that?

They shouldnt have been... he brought that team from un-defeated to missing the playoffs...

you need game manager..

Southern while I agree with your point, then wouldn't the Jets have kept Chad and Kellen last year? or did Rex make the Jets drastically change their philosophies?

At the same time the Jets do not even know if they have a guy that can efficiently manage the game on their roster. Many reports that came out last year stated that Kellen began to regress if anything.

you need game manager..

excellent point. look at some of the super bowl winning QBs in the past decade or so and compare how good they are to how good their defense was:

Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, Brad Johnson with the Bucs, Trent Dilfer

None of these guys are great QBs IMO, but they are all good game managers who dont turn it over. Thats all we can ask for right now because of how good our defense should and will be. So lets not worry about hoping we can find an all world qb and just hope that of what we have or what we will draft they can put us in a position to win games.

(FWIW)

FINALLY. Someone that understands stopgaps aren't the answer!!! Im really excited to see what Rex can build over time here. I really am.

They also just turned him into an early 2nd round pick.

Matt Cassel was not the primary reason for the Pats missing the playoffs.

Crazy what the Pats get for their players...

What was the Primary reason? AS far as Im concerned if Tom Brady did not get injured they win the ONE more game needed to win the division...

Southern while I agree with your point, then wouldn't the Jets have kept Chad and Kellen last year? or did Rex make the Jets drastically change their philosophies?

At the same time the Jets do not even know if they have a guy that can efficiently manage the game on their roster. Many reports that came out last year stated that Kellen began to regress if anything.

did jets have a top 5 defrense last year?

and i assume rex has said we will be greta and dont overpay for a guy i want to control the game..

excellent point. look at some of the super bowl winning QBs in the past decade or so and compare how good they are to how good their defense was:

Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, Griese with the Bucs, Trent Dilfer

None of these guys are great QBs IMO, but they are all good game managers who dont turn it over. Thats all we can ask for right now because of how good our defense should and will be. So lets not worry about hoping we can find an all world qb and just hope that of what we have or what we will draft they can put us in a position to win games.

You mean Brad Johnson right? Still fits.

Big Ben had the worst QB rating to win a SB ever... lol

I wouldnt call Eli a scrub...

Crazy what the Pats get for their players...

What was the Primary reason? AS far as Im concerned if Tom Brady did not get injured they win the ONE more game needed to win the division...

The point was not a comparison of Matt Cassel to Tom Brady.

The point was fans (us) not knowing what back up QB's are capable of, and FO's having a much better idea.

you need game manager..

no team is a consistent winner without a franchise qb. can a team with a great defense and nothing at qb win it all? sure. but they don't consistently make th eplay-offs and get far. i would like to see us build a team that is a consistent superbowl contender. you need a great qb for that. i'm tired of hearing this crap about having a great defense and a crappy qb and it'll be ok. BS. get me a franchise qb and i'll show you a team that can consistently win. besides, it certainly isn't a given that our defense will even be top 10, let alone top 5.

But, Roethlesberger has the uncanny ability to come up big when the game is on the line.

Numbers don't measure that, other than wins. He has them, and has them in spots where he came up big when needed to.

yeah hes not a scrub but it was the giants running game and defense that has carried them while hes been QB

no team is a consistent winner without a franchise qb. can a team with a great defense and nothing at qb win it all? sure. but they don't consistently make th eplay-offs and get far. i would like to see us build a team that is a consistent superbowl contender. you need a great qb for that. i'm tired of hearing this crap about having a great defense and a crappy qb and it'll be ok. BS. get me a franchise qb and i'll show you a team that can consistently win. besides, it certainly isn't a given that our defense will even be top 10, let alone top 5.

dont agree..

The point was not a comparison of Matt Cassel to Tom Brady.

The point was fans (us) not knowing what back up QB's are capable of, and FO's having a much better idea.

Agreed and Shotty is a QB guy first so he should know... and now he has a HC who seems to trust in him... Mangini did not...

Sorry, but I call bull**** on that last line. If we didn't trade for Favre last year, the Jets are walking into the 2009 season with Chad Pennington at QB. The acquisition of Favre expedited the process of dumping Chad which is exactly what has allowed the Jets to take this approach of being able to find out about the players they already have at QB.

Everyone knows the Jets wanted Clemens to win that "competition," and that even if he didn't - Pennington would've been on a very short leash. We'd have the Clemens info right now, at least.

Dumping Chad was an extremely stupid sidebar to the Favre trade. Their love affair with the legend resulted in them getting absolutely nothing in return for Penny, and having him land at a division rival where he can potentially give us fits for years.

How are the JETS set back this year? Shotty knows what he has in Clemens and Ratliff... and good changes have happened because of the "win now" attitude the Favre move brought in...

No one knows what they have in Clemens or Ratliff at this point. Favre took thirteen million more things from the Jets than he brought to the team.

Who's gonna drop? Sanchez?

If they suspect they have a starter between Clemens and Ratliff, then they should shore up the roster around them to give them the best chance to succeed. Getting another young QB question mark doesn't help them. It would be just another big contract sitting on the bench.

you need game manager..

No better example of that than Ryan's old team. I'm sure this is his thinking.

But, Roethlesberger has the uncanny ability to come up big when the game is on the line.

Numbers don't measure that, other than wins. He has them, and has them in spots where he came up big when needed to.

The Steelers D allows him to **** up all game long and need just that one big play... lol

Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, Brad Johnson with the Bucs, Trent Dilfer

Dilfer was definitely a bum, but I'd hardly call Manning, Big Ben or even Johnson in 2002 simply game managers. In 02 Johnson had a damn good season and I believe made the Pro Bowl. Eli really stepped up his game big time in the playoffs that year and Ben was a big part of that offenses success both years, even if he was a disaster in his first Super Bowl appearance. The point being, while you may not need Tom Brady or Peyton Manning to do Super Bowls, most of the time you still need a guy who can actually make some plays and not just stay out of the way. There are a few exceptions (like Dilfer), but its definitely not the norm.

Archived