Jets may not bring in a vet QB

Sperm Edwards

Lets be real here. If that trade doesnt happen, we have at least another 2 years of Chad put-put.

It was a good trade just based on that.

Or, a young QB elevates himself and they are set at the position.

Any one can pl;ay teh conjecture game and say, look how smart I am.

What we DO KNOW-The Favre experiment failed.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or, a young QB elevates himself and they are set at the position.

Any one can pl;ay teh conjecture game and say, look how smart I am.

What we DO KNOW-The Favre experiment failed.

Thats your opinion... you cant sit here and tell us not to use ours as fact then do it yourself... lol

ok....and when they both suck ass and we have noone to turn to next year you'll be saying...man i wish we didn't pass on yet another qb in the first round. cause we'd at least have a qb to turn to who'd been in the system a year and has the franchise potential. the chances of clemens or ratliff doing it aren't too good. although i believe ratliff has a better chance than clemens cause i've already seen clemens and he's looked like he's teh doody.

Sanchez could easily suck, too. In fact, I pretty much expect him to suck. And the FA market for QB's suck this year, too. There's not a lot of options for franchise QB's out there, so the idea of seeing if maybe you have a diamond in the rough probably isn't a bad one. If you want to make the argument that the Jets shoule pull out all the stops to land a Jay Cutler, that's a different story. Not one I agree with, but one I could understand.

This way you find out what you got, and hope your options are better next year if you need to find a QB.

Sanchez could easily suck, too. In fact, I pretty much expect him to suck. And the FA market for QB's suck this year, too. There's not a lot of options for franchise QB's out there, so the idea of seeing if maybe you have a diamond in the rough probably isn't a bad one. If you want to make the argument that the Jets shoule pull out all the stops to land a Jay Cutler, that's a different story. Not one I agree with, but one I could understand.

This way you find out what you got, and hope your options are better next year if you need to find a QB.

that's my position. there's obviously 2 schools on this one. it almost seems very black and white between jets fans. either they want to wait or they want the FO to stop at nothing to get our franchise qb. i'm obviousaly for the stop at nothing plan.

sure sanchez could easily suck.....it's always a crap shoot. i'm just of the opinion that you keep looking till you get your franchise qb. alot of you guys want the team to stop, evaluate, atempt to develop...and then if that doesn't work with what you have...then start looking. i guess i'm just jaded after 25+years and never having a franchise qb to lead the team. coincidentally we haven't won in that time frame either. but i've seen franchhise qb after franchise qb win....while the only thing my team does consistently is let me down.

No big surprise they have been saying they wouldn't bring in a veteran for weeks. Kellen will win the job (as all ex players are saying) and we will see what he does behind a good line compared to the turn style that was the 2007 OLine.

No big surprise they have been saying they wouldn't bring in a veteran for weeks. Kellen will win the job (as all ex players are saying) and we will see what he does behind a good line compared to the turn style that was the 2007 OLine.

turn style? i never heard of that style before.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/assessing_the_new_york_jets_fr.html

(FWIW)

This line of thinking ("the Jets need to find out if one of their current guys is the answer") would also suggest the Jets may not even draft a QB. That is, assuming those are the thoughts of Ryan & Tannenbaum & not Hutchinson surmising.

It is my belief that the desire to go with Clemens or Ratliff is one of the main reasons (if not the chief reason) that Schottenheimer was retained.

See, that makes sense to me, I don't understand the idea of drafting a QB when you have 3 young QBs on your roster. There's no reason to think that Clemens, Ratliff and Ainge are ALL incapable of being long term answers at QB*. There's no reason to think that they ARE capable either, but at some point you have to give it a go if you want a franchise QB.

*= No reason available to the public, of course - the coaching staff could have reasons but we wouldn't know. Either way, I find it hard to believe that they have evidence that NONE of these 3 will work out.

Another point about drafting a QB, there are still a couple of other serious needs on this team. So again, with 3 young guys on the roster to compete for the job I just don't see the necessity.

It's not an easy call. Garcia, Leftwich, etc. are hardly the building blocks of a great franchise. Garcia will be 39 next year and Leftwich is, well, Leftwich.

The summary being that for the 2009 season (let alone 2009 and beyond), one doesn't know for certain if either of them is an upgrade over what the Jets currently have.

Clemens looked less than polished in his debut. But he was still in his 2nd season, had two rookie OLmen, two more who are out of the league due to suckiness, an injured (or out) Coles, an injured (or out) Cotchery, Justin McCareins, Brad Smith, and Chris Baker as his receiving targets. And everyone on the team new the season was in the toilet at 1-7 by the time he came in there full-time. Ratliff is a huge question-mark, but the team is high on him. Neither of them may still be in the league 2 years from now for all we know. Or one (or both) of them could be good enough.

Who the hell was Matt Cassel 6 months ago? He was the guy the team was going to let go into FA in the 2009 season as they promoted O'Connell to #2 behind Brady. Hell, Cassel didn't look like much of an asset until week 7 & didn't really turn the corner fully until the 2nd Jets game (really the 2nd half of the 2nd Jets game).

It takes time is the point. In time you may discover that you have something more than you thought. Or time may show that instead of thinking you have crappy backups starting, it then becomes confirmed as being known.

The only "sure thing" out there is Kurt Warner (if there is such a thing as a sure thing, since he turns 38 in June). And on the Jets he certainly wouldn't have a group of receivers like he had in Arizona (though he would have a far better ground game supporting him).

However, you're right. This is a win-now team. And it's tough to go into the season with a trio of Clemens-Ratliff-Ainge at QB (and we don't have a Randy Moss-Wes Welker combo to make it any easier). This time next year we'll know for certain if they were smart or stupid to proceed in this direction.

Excellent summary of the situation. I am hoping the good things we saw in Ratliff last pre-season play out into him becoming our QB. Warner plus a WR would make us a legit contender IMO but I don't see us entertaining signing him.

Hindsight says you are wrong.

Not really.

Is this team in an worse a position because of the year with Favre? His contract is off the books, we didn't make the playoffs, of course, but was there a QB on the roster, including CP that we would have won anything with? Or, would we have suffered a similar fate, at worst, against Baltimore in round 1?

Not really.

Is this team in an worse a position because of the year with Favre? His contract is off the books, we didn't make the playoffs, of course, but was there a QB on the roster, including CP that we would have won anything with? Or, would we have suffered a similar fate, at worst, against Baltimore in round 1?

I'm sure some yahoo on here will say that having Favre held back the development of Ratliff -- of course that's bologna.

I think they are better off having a vet QB, even if it's just to come off the bench, because this team doesn't need much in the QB department to be successful if the moves made work out.

Archived