Joba got shelled by Canada yesterday

Matt39

Have you ever followed baseball before? Spring training is not a very adequate assessment of either pitchers or batters. Pitchers just work on control and only a few selection of pitches. Batters just work on timing. Pitchers generally take longer than batters to get ready, hence why pitchers report earlier in spring training.

But maybe we should trade him, right? :rolleyes:

Have you ever followed baseball before? Spring training is not a very adequate assessment of either pitchers or batters. Pitchers just work on control and only a few selection of pitches. Batters just work on timing. Pitchers generally take longer than batters to get ready, hence why pitchers report earlier in spring training.

But maybe we should trade him, right? :rolleyes:

I do see reasons to be concerned. Just from stories that I've heard of him boozing on the UES and obviously his arrest in Nebraska- Joba is a big time drinker/partyer.

Add in the fact he's fat- I think there's reason to be concerned. A 23 year old power pitcher to be drinking heavily and be 30 pounds overweight is a cause for concern. If he was 2 inches shorter he'd already be Bartolo Colon.

I do see reasons to be concerned. Just from stories that I've heard of him boozing on the UES and obviously his arrest in Nebraska- Joba is a big time drinker/partyer.

Add in the fact he's fat- I think there's reason to be concerned. A 23 year old power pitcher to be drinking heavily and be 30 pounds overweight is a cause for concern. If he was 2 inches shorter he'd already be Bartolo Colon.

Or David Wells. Depends how you look at it.

Holy ****. He's the reincarnation of Boomer Wells.

He didnt reitre one batter.

Fat boy better start getting in shape and put down the bottle. We need him.

Control issues have been alarming for Joba but I never put any stock in early spring outings. As long as he is healthy, he looked too good as a SP and 8th inning guy for me to be concerned. I have a friend who like Jorge, says Joba will never be a top SP......I disagree.

Phil Huges looked extremely sharp for two innings the other day b4 surrendering a couple of runs in the 3rd inning. I was working/watching so only caught one hook in the 2nd inning which was knee buckling and set-up by locating the fastball perfectly prior to it.

While I pay little importance to early spring SP results, I would like to see Phil get past those 3-6 innings unscathed as that appeared to be a issue last season pre injury.

Prediction: He somehow ends up in rotation by June 1 and never looks back. I would have handed him the 5th spot and said goodbye to Andy though I understand the Yankees logic.

Now on the Mets front, same goes for John Maine.....control issues again. The difference here is Maine needs to stop publically whining about his mechanics and go work on them. Taje a page from Joba and simply say I felt good out there.

The Mets 5th starter audition has been a mess except for a little ray of from Livan while Petey was clocked at 91mph and is whispered to be given closer consideration for the Cards if they choise to sign him.......no way his body handles the stress of getting up every night or every other night to pitch based on recent history. I also do not blame the Mets for moving on.

Control issues have been alarming for Joba but I never put any stock in early spring outings. As long as he is healthy, he looked too good as a SP and 8th inning guy for me to be concerned. I have a friend who like Jorge, says Joba will never be a top SP......I disagree.

Phil Huges looked extremely sharp for two innings the other day b4 surrendering a couple of runs in the 3rd inning. I was working/watching so only caught one hook in the 2nd inning which was knee buckling and set-up by locating the fastball perfectly prior to it.

While I pay little importance to early spring SP results, I would like to see Phil get past those 3-6 innings unscathed as that appeared to be a issue last season pre injury.

Prediction: He somehow ends up in rotation by June 1 and never looks back. I would have handed him the 5th spot and said goodbye to Andy though I understand the Yankees logic.

Now on the Mets front, same goes for John Maine.....control issues again. The difference here is Maine needs to stop publically whining about his mechanics and go work on them. Taje a page from Joba and simply say I felt good out there.

The Mets 5th starter audition has been a mess except for a little ray of from Livan while Petey was clocked at 91mph and is whispered to be given closer consideration for the Cards if they choise to sign him.......no way his body handles the stress of getting up every night or every other night to pitch based on recent history. I also do not blame the Mets for moving on.

Are you saying Jorge Posada said Joba will never be a top SP? Not that it really matters what Posada thinks, but that's simply not what he said.

What he actually said was he should be a reliever, because he thinks he's going to get hurt in the rotation.

Are you saying Jorge Posada said Joba will never be a top SP? Not that it really matters what Posada thinks, but that's simply not what he said.

What he actually said was he should be a reliever, because he thinks he's going to get hurt in the rotation.

ie....he would never be able to be a top SP.

No, you're putting words in his mouth.

"Leave him in the bullpen," Posada replied flatly, before being asked to expand on his answer. "If you start him and he pitches 200 innings, he won't be able to (last).

"You're going to lose him. He's going to get hurt ... I don't see him as a starter. I'd leave him in the bullpen."

I assume if one does not see him as a SP, that would include a "Top Starter"

Let it go it's not that important.

I wanted Joba in the pen. I know Bruney and these other guys have potential. But the 7th inning is important as well. Joba in the 8th, Mo in the 9th is proven.

Long term Joba should be a starter. No doubt about it, you put him where he will pitch the most amount of innings. I just want them to do the whole win a World Series thing again. And I am willing to derail his career for a year to get that done.

I wanted Joba in the pen. I know Bruney and these other guys have potential. But the 7th inning is important as well. Joba in the 8th, Mo in the 9th is proven.

Long term Joba should be a starter. No doubt about it, you put him where he will pitch the most amount of innings. I just want them to do the whole win a World Series thing again. And I am willing to derail his career for a year to get that done.

Enough is enough, we have messed with him too much already. Going from starting, to relieving, to starting, to relieving is probably why he got injured last year.

Archived