Cimini's Latest On Who We'll Pick @17

SoFlaJets

And With the 17th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft ...

March 18, 2009

Continuing a "Jet Stream" tradition (if three years qualifies as "tradition"), I'll project the three players most likely to be selected by the Jets with the 17th overall choice in the April 25 draft. I'll update the projections from time to time as we get closer to the big day. If history is an indication, these early posts tend to be more accurate than the later ones. You've heard of paralysis by analysis? Well, that usually applies here.

In 2007, my first post included CB Darrelle Revis. By the time we got around to the draft, I had dropped him from the list. A year ago, my initial projection consisted of RB Darren McFadden, OLB Vernon Gholston and DE Chris Long. Not bad, huh? By the week of the draft, I didn't think they'd go for Gholston. Turns out they probably should've heeded my advice.

Anyway, here goes:

1. WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri -- Yes, I know he's projected to go somewhere in the 7 to 12 range, so this might be a pie-in-the-sky projection, but stranger things have happened. He's everything the Jets are looking for, and it wouldn't surprise me if GM Mike Tannenbaum traded up a few spots to get him.

2. DE Tyson Jackson, LSU -- Rex Ryan is a defensive coach, and the Jets have two aging ends, Shaun Ellis and Kenyon Coleman. Jackson didn't have the best Pro Day (only 20 reps on the bench press), but he's a big-bodied lineman, ideal in a 3-4 -- and those guys are hard to find.

3. QB Josh Freeman, Kansas State -- I know they like him, but personally, I think he'd be a reach at 17. He has a lot of potential, but there are rough edges. Maybe they trade down for him or maybe they trade up with their second-round pick.

1. Maclin ~ Okay.

2. Jackson ~ I'd rather die.

3. Freeman ~ Nice.

If we want a 34 DE I say go for one at 52 in Jarron Gilbert of San Joe State. He is a beast. If any of you remember from NFL Network during the Combine, he is the one who jumped out of the pool by just standing there and jumping. He is projected as a late 2nd round pick.

1. Maclin ~ Okay.

2. Jackson ~ I'd rather die.

3. Freeman ~ Nice.

If we want a 34 DE I say go for one at 52 in Jarron Gilbert of San Joe State. He is a beast. If any of you remember from NFL Network during the Combine, he is the one who jumped out of the pool by just standing there and jumping. He is projected as a late 2nd round pick.

never heard of him before-here he is

KHoBtyuof_A

Thanks for posting this & the videos, SFJ.

By the way, how in the heck does a 290lb DLineman only do 20 reps on the bench press?

I hope he had a chest or arm injury or something.

How many did Gholston put up...

How many did Gholston put up...

Irrelevant.

All top big-bodied DEs put up mid-to-late 20s in the bench press.

And the bench press is very important to DEs who rely on strength (such as Jackson) rather than the lighter speadsters.

Irrelevant.

All top big-bodied DEs put up mid-to-late 20s in the bench press.

And the bench press is very important to DEs who rely on strength (such as Jackson) rather than the lighter speadsters.

My point was going to be (if he put up big #'s) how little it mattered... lol

Sorry I should have used a smiley or something...

My point was going to be (if he put up big #'s) how little it mattered... lol

Sorry I should have used a smiley or something...

I get it, EC.

But the benchpress is very important for a DE like Jackson though. He's not a Johnny Abe speadster who can run by tackles. He needs his upper & lower body strength against OTs & Gs.

It's even more important for 3-4 DEs whose job is to occupy the OT & G for the LBs.

I get it, EC.

But the benchpress is very important for a DE like Jackson though. He's not a Johnny Abe speadster who can run by tackles. He needs his upper & lower body strength against OTs & Gs.

It's even more important for 3-4 DEs whose job is to occupy the OT & G for the LBs.

Gotcha...

I would like to see them use a more relevant machine though... we had this one machine in high school that was literally like taking on a blocker.. . you pushed in then up with the weights...

Gotcha...

I would like to see them use a more relevant machine though... we had this one machine in high school that was literally like taking on a blocker.. . you pushed in then up with the weights...

I agree. That machine was actually invented by the University of Nebraska for the Cornhusker Football program during the Tom Osborne glory days. I remember watching an ESPN special on it decades ago.

What are this guy's measurables, though? Does he have really long arms, by chance? Guys like that aren't built to do presses, but can still be plenty strong. Being able to do "only" 20 wouldn't scare me off if is tape and interview are top notch. Not at all.

Not that I want them to go after another defender, just saying.

Jeremy Maclin = Peter Warrick

Right, because speed has proven to be the most important factor when selecting a WR. :rolleyes:

Nice try, but you said Maclin = Peter Warrick. Maclin is fast Warrick is dog slow. Therefore, they are not equal. If Warrick for fast he would equal Ted Ginn Jr.

What method do you use to judge a WR? There are a bunch of factors and I'm no big Maclin fan, but if he dropped to 17 he'd have to get some heavy consideration. Do you just measure their hands and decide Nicks is the best?

Nice try, but you said Maclin = Peter Warrick. Maclin is fast Warrick is dog slow. Therefore, they are not equal. If Warrick for fast he would equal Ted Ginn Jr.

What method do you use to judge a WR? There are a bunch of factors and I'm no big Maclin fan, but if he dropped to 17 he'd have to get some heavy consideration. Do you just measure their hands and decide Nicks is the best?

I was more so meaning that he was guy that did a lot of different things for his team in college and he will be a bust of epic proportion in the NFL.

Hands, size, ability to run routes, ability to get of the line quick and not get hung up by strong CB that bump them at the line. All of which I dont think Maclin can do.

I dont see Maclin having a lot of success getting away from strong DB's at the LOS. Similar to Warrick in the NFL...thats what I meant.

Cornerback? really?

I like the idea of Freeman but it scares me to.

Harvin and Maclin are useless to us half their value is in the return game, we have Leon and Leonhard so that takes away half their value and they are both project guys at WR would be nothing more than a number three when we need a number 2. I think Bey or Nicks are the way to go depending on what the coaches think of Clowney as a deep threat, or Robiskie or Britt in the second round if a QB is nabbed in the first.

with moss and TO in the division, and if we don't sign a vet WR, I'm thinking our wish list will look like this at 17;

CB - (vontae Davis)

WR- hakeem nicks or DHB or harvin

DE - Jackson

Cornerback? really?

Harvin and Maclin are useless to us half their value is in the return game, we have Leon and Leonhard so that takes away half their value and they are both project guys at WR would be nothing more than a number three when we need a number 2. I think Bey or Nicks are the way to go depending on what the coaches think of Clowney as a deep threat, or Robiskie or Britt in the second round if a QB is nabbed in the first.

I agree with both of you guys. CB the likes of Vontae's ability (if he even lasts...prob not) would be rare, then we'd have the secondary some people think we have now. He's a bit of a dumbass so maybe he drops.

Tyson would be a great pick too.

Maclin I like a lot as a speedy playmaking #2 WR like a Donnie Avery type. All Maclin did in college was produce. I am down on Percy, is he a WR is he a RB? I'll tell you what he's not. A bonafide NFL WR. Britt, Nicks, Robiskie, DHB are all great options at WR. Nicks may be the only one worth taking in the 1st, but you gotta read that as it plays out.

QB I'm low on this years class. Not very impressed. If one drops yes consider him. I'll trust the FO there. QB is SOOOO hard to grade. Freeman has a lot of knocks on him with regard to intelligence and attitude. Let the coaches investigate that one.

We also could be looking at a stud OL drop. I don't know what to do if Rey Malauga is available at 17...How do you pass up that kind of talent even though we have Scott and Harris?

We will be in a very good position to get a top talent at 17. So long as you are open to going BPA. Even if that means ignoring a need.

Cornerback? really?

CB is def on the jets wishlist. you need 3 starting caliber CB's in the modern NFL, and the jets only have 2, 1 of whom is injury prone, so I think it will be given a long look at 17.

I don't see the freeman pick either. I'd rather go with ratt if it comes to that

maclin won't be there, but harvin is simply an explosive threat. lil shott would get him the ball in the direct snap offfenses ala brad smith and leon (from '07, pre-wildcat btw) and we'd have a diverse offense. I could see them taking another WR, a pure deep threat even if they take harvin, as harvin is a non-traditional player, almost like reggie bush. No, I am not comparing him to bush as if to say he is as good, just that he may be used like bush is used

I like robiskie as well

I could see the jets doing something like this

CB

WR

DE

WR

TE

I don't know what to do if Rey Malauga is available at 17...How do you pass up that kind of talent even though we have Scott and Harris?

You pass on him BECAUSE you have Scott and Harris. I would love having the 3 rotate in and out but not when we have so many glaring holes and a good value pick at 17.

If Maualuga is there at 17 we can probably trade out of the spot though the possible trading partners are slim (atleast the ones who have a pick we would want to trade into IMO)... though I can't see him getting past Denver or San Diego. Tampa Bay at 19 would take him but I doubt they trade up 2 spots when they know the Jets are deep at the position and that Chicago is the only pick between the Jets and them. Detroit or New England might leapfrog TB (NE to 18 or Detroit to 17) for Maualuga.

It doesn't matter either way as he is gone at pick 12 IMO.

Archived