Name a singer/song writer who is/was a genius.

Jetman_67

to all those people who felt i was pejorative in this particular thread, this is my official heartfelt apology, it was not my intent.

I do believe that most people who know me would realize this, but there are a lot of people who dont know me and might have taken it as a knock.

Here is my mea culpa.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm trying to think of people who, if you play any instruments or sing, you think: I cannot even comprehend this person's genius. Even if it's a type of music that isn't your taste.

Tupac the musical genius, lol. Check this girl out. Blind, 5 years old, never had a piano lesson & then sat down & started playing one day at age 3.

nSOaLH8vxYw

Un-freaking-real.

Wow. That is unbelievable. She's already something special but once she gets the feel down for improv/writing she's going to be famous.

to all those people who felt i was pejorative in this particular thread, this is my official heartfelt apology, it was not my intent.

I do believe that most people who know me would realize this, but there are a lot of people who dont know me and might have taken it as a knock.

Here is my mea culpa.

to BG and GG

make-love-not-war.jpg

I was talking about this the other day. I think it is partially because we are such a "want to be good now" or "have it right now" society. Look at guitar hero...

I don't know that people want to put in the time that the musicians of old put in. Ls Dylan would know better than me but I think the Beatles played at a strip club for 8 hours a day, six days a week for a year or two before they really became the Beatles. THAT is a time commitment and to me, that is really what it takes to be great. Enough of these button pushing rappers.

My artist that is a genius? Elliott Smith, John Lennon, Bob Marley

I don't think anyone should have to go through what guys like Hendrix and the Beatles had to go through. It forced a lot of them to take uppers and downers and that just led to their destruction. I don't know what it's like to be in a touring band today, I'll let you know in a few years :)

I don't think anyone should have to go through what guys like Hendrix and the Beatles had to go through. It forced a lot of them to take uppers and downers and that just led to their destruction. I don't know what it's like to be in a touring band today, I'll let you know in a few years :)

honestly...was it worth it to them? I think they'd do it again if they had a chance at it. They may have done a few things differently but do you think Morrison or Hendrix would have given it up if they got a second chance?

there are a lot of people mentioning any good/great musician who was either in a band situation or even just the singer or guitarist IN a band. The trouble I see with some of these assessments is that the term Singer/Songwriter is a genre. Jim Croce, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Harry Chapin, James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen. Neil Young, Neil Diamond, Jackson Browne-THESE are singer/songwriters of that genre. To list Garcia and Hunter or Robert Plante or Aretha and Otis misses the point IMO

I didn't even think about that but looking back on it I've mentioned Syd Barrett, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Peter Green and Hendrix. Hendrix and Green might be a stretch but have both released stuff under their name, solo. So I'm counting them as songwriters. ;)

honestly...was it worth it to them? I think they'd do it again if they had a chance at it. They may have done a few things differently but do you think Morrison or Hendrix would have given it up if they got a second chance?

True but I think they could have done things differently. Not so much the Beatles but Hendrix. The way his American tours were set up were completely dumb. He'd be in NJ one day and maybe Chicago the next, then back to NY. On top of that, the only hours they could get for studio time were late night/early morning like the 3am-4 am time period cause they were the cheapest. Jimi was taking pills to wake him up and then pills to go to sleep and then acid and whatever else.

The bands might suck more today but they have it way better. Now I see your point, they suck because it's too easy!

I think I wrote better songs when I was using acid.

My list has all the usual suspects on it: Lennon, Hendrix, Dylan, etc. Sting, Elvis Costello (saw them on the same bill last year at the beach - awsome!), David Byrne, Bowie...

Did Kurt Cobain get a mention yet? That man was a genius.

My list has all the usual suspects on it: Lennon, Hendrix, Dylan, etc. Sting, Elvis Costello (saw them on the same bill last year at the beach - awsome!), David Byrne, Bowie...

You'll get crucified here for that but i would agree 100%.

and LS...i didn't know that about Hendrix, it's amazing what the guys in suit and ties will do to people in an effort of making a buck.

Glad to see someone else mention Byrne!

He is one of the greatest of all time IMO. The Talking Heads are one of my all time favorites, and he has some really good solo stuff as well.

Stop Making Sense is the coolest live concert ever recorded.

Alice in Chains > Soundgarden and Pearl Jam > Nirvana

No. I like them, but no. I might've given you Stone Temple Pilots, though.

You know who else I'd list? Frank Black. There's a reason The Pixies are on every artist's influence list.

You know who else I'd list? Frank Black. There's a reason The Pixies are on every artist's influence list.

Core and Purple were great albums, but I'm not a big fan of their later stuff. It's all opinion though. The one problem I have with Alice in Chains is the drug-ridden vocals of their later stuff. Still decent, though.

Nirvana sounded best on their unplugged album.

B000065PUI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The pixies and velvet underground tend to get forgotten in such discussions. Kim deal is ****ing amazing.

Nice. How the **** did I not have him on my list. Pixies are one of my top 10 favorite bands.

Slats you are gaining points my man. I wasnt sure about you for a little while.

Here is my mea culpa.

What the f**k is wrong with you, gg. Did you hear a word I said, you dunce. :) I can't even do the goof justice since I'm laughing too hard. Seriously, you didn't need to remove your post, but I appreciate the effort and sentiment. I just disagreed with it's tone, which I am sure you did not mean to be demeaning. I probably read it the wrong way. Don't worry, I'll still let you have your way with me. :)

I'd disagree too. Hanneman was much better. And considering the substandard Sheepknot influenced piss he's come out with over the past few years.

Who I think's the best? Peavey Wagner.

I honestly didn't know who wrote Slayer's songs so I figured I'd throw up their most recognizable guy. You're definitely right, though, now that I know Hanneman wrote Raining Blood, War Ensemble, Seasons in the Abyss, Angel of Death, and South of Heaven. King doesn't write much according to Wikipedia.

YES!! I'm glad I didn't have to be the first one to make mention. Actually, I was scanning this thread for this guys name and surprisingly never found it.

Tom Petty

You'll get crucified here for that but i would agree 100%.

and LS...i didn't know that about Hendrix, it's amazing what the guys in suit and ties will do to people in an effort of making a buck.

That's why Zeppelin got a jet! Then you can do that kind of travelling, kinda. Bonham was **** scared of flying though haha

A couple more that I'd call fringe musical geniuses, whatever that means....

Kate Bush

Donald Fagan -sorry Dickie :)

John McLaughlin

Andy Partridge

Felix Pappalardi

Todd Rundgren

Jean Luc-Ponty

I'm an XTC fan, too. They got Todd to produce what I think is their best album: Skylarking (minus Dear God, which tends to grate on me). Andy and Todd couldn't stand each other by the time the record was done, though. Shame. I'd've loved to hear what else they could've put together.

Archived