who is the best  

1 member has voted

1. 1. who is the best

• Joe Nathan
    • Mariano Rivera
    • Jonathon Papelbon
    • Francisco Rodriguez
    • other

As much as it pains me to say it right now, Papelbon is the best.

Rivera is just over the hill, and no one can dominate the 9th inning quite like Paps.

Bastard :mad:

He's been letting quite a few people get on base. It's going to catch up with him soon.

As much as it pains me to say it right now, Papelbon is the best.

Rivera is just over the hill, and no one can dominate the 9th inning quite like Paps.

Bastard :mad:

Rivera's whip last year was below .700 and his ERA was microscopic as well

me thinks your crazy

this one's tough. rivera is clearly going down as the best.....but if he's slowing down, finally, then papelbon gets the nod as best current closer. k-rod and nathan tie for 3rd, or maybe nathan gets the nod slightly. i'm going with mo....but we'll see by the end of this year if papelbon has taken the reins....

edit: i wrote this without looking but......i'm surprised by just how good joe nathan has really been. i guess he flies under the radar a little bit. i knew he was good, but i didnt realize he was THAT good. he definitely gets 3rd over k-rod. even though he blew that game last night

this one's tough. rivera is clearly going down as the best.....but if he's slowing down, finally, then papelbon gets the nod as best current closer. k-rod and nathan tie for 3rd, or maybe nathan gets the nod slightly. i'm going with mo....but we'll see by the end of this year if papelbon has taken the reins....

edit: i wrote this without looking but......i'm surprised by just how good joe nathan has really been. i guess he flies under the radar a little bit. i knew he was good, but i didnt realize he was THAT good. he definitely gets 3rd over k-rod. even though he blew that game last night

Yeah Nathan did not look good pitching in a 4th straight game. I believe KRod handled that same scenario fine. All great closers but you have to give Mo the throne until he clearly proves he is slowing down.

Yeah Nathan did not look good pitching in a 4th straight game. I believe KRod handled that same scenario fine. All great closers but you have to give Mo the throne until he clearly proves he is slowing down.

Well put.

Mo is the G.O.A.T.

Maybe in another 10 years if Paps continues at his current pace we can debate this ad nauseum as to who is the best.

It does not suck to have Paps though. :D

y'know i'm just impressed by nathan's 4 seaosn with an era under 2. as well as 4 seoasn with a whip under 1.000 and a seaosjnh with a whip under 0.800. but so far this year k-rod is having a much better year. maybe i'll stillleave them tied for 3rd until the end of this year.

I voted for Mariano despite his early troubles this year. He had a great season last year and I'm sure he'll approach those numbers by this season's end.

Papelbon is second. If he keeps it going he can give Rivera a run for his money. He is a great postseason pitcher. It's tough to determine who's better between Nathan and KRod. But these are the four best relievers in the game, no doubt.

I just read The Bronx Zoo. Funny as hell.

I read it when first published. If you have not already done so, all you young Yankee fans NEED to read this book. What an amazing era that was. Total madness.

Lyle's "work" with birthday cakes is legendary. ;)

Well put.

Mo is the G.O.A.T.

Maybe in another 10 years if Paps continues at his current pace we can debate this ad nauseum as to who is the best.

It does not suck to have Paps though. :D

Right on!! This post answers the question the with the truth!!

Right on!! This post answers the question the with the truth!!

Rivera is the best of this era of closer which started in the early 90's.

It is difficult to compare relievers of different eras because the roles have changed so dramatically, and the expectations are so dramatically different.

Best I have seen this year (and remember I primarily watch NL games) is Jonathon Broxton.

What makes Mo tough is that at 38 he had the kind of year he had last year.

1.40 era over 70 innings, only 4 home runs allowed, 11 earned runs total. That is a solid year, and this is coming when he is 38.

Wow.

1.40 era over 70 innings, only 4 home runs allowed, 11 earned runs total. That is a solid year, and this is coming when he is 38.

Wow.

it's just a tad better than solid. try stellar.

Wow.

How about is K/BB ratio. Kind of neat, no??:)

Archived