RIP Steve McNair

JoeC36

Okay, I'm not bashing Steve McNair. I liked the guy...he was a good QB for a while...I DO think his toughness was highly over-rated, but that's an argument for another day.

What's bugging me is how everyone is talking about how McNair was a model citizen and a great stand-up guy. Come again now? Isn't this the same Steve McNair that got hit with a DUI a couple years ago? And now, it looks as if he was snuffed out by his mistress. So, I guess Steve is an affair having, drunk driving kind of stand-up guy. Those are rare nowadays. What a loss for humanity.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, i might be confusing him with someone else, but wasn't mcnair in another dui situation a few years ago where it was his car but he wasn't driving? It may be another athlete.

It was McNair and he was driving with a loaded handgun in the vehicle. IIRC, he got off on all charges becuase of an illegal stop or something like that.

What's bugging me is how everyone is talking about how McNair was a model citizen and a great stand-up guy. Come again now? Isn't this the same Steve McNair that got hit with a DUI a couple years ago?

How many times was McNair in trouble? I can only remember 1 time.

I guess that makes him a hoodlum.

Okay, I'm not bashing Steve McNair. I liked the guy...he was a good QB for a while...I DO think his toughness was highly over-rated, but that's an argument for another day.

What's bugging me is how everyone is talking about how McNair was a model citizen and a great stand-up guy. Come again now? Isn't this the same Steve McNair that got hit with a DUI a couple years ago? And now, it looks as if he was snuffed out by his mistress. So, I guess Steve is an affair having, drunk driving kind of stand-up guy. Those are rare nowadays. What a loss for humanity.

People always excuse away poor decision making and bad choices in life. Whether we like it or not, people will ignore the bad things that ultimately led to his demise. And his wife and kids will forever be hurt by him being killed by his mistress.

Like with the discussion on DT a few weeks ago, McNair did some good things that were not football related. He still hosted camps in the Nashville area and did so as recently as late May.

While I agree with your point that athletes are too often cannonized for their exploits on the field. McNair did appear to be genuine, but like rest of the world he made mistakes.

Moral of the Story ....

Do not go to break up with your Jump Off in person that is sooooo 90's Tweet, TEXT< IM, MySPACE, or FACEBBOK them outta your life.

He could be a lying, cheating and Drunk Driving SOB he did not deserve to get killed in cold blood. He leaves 4 sons with a memory of Dads last mistake. If you are a dad that has not made one stand up, If not say a prayer for those he left behind..

Rumors now are that someone threatened to kill McNair the morning of this death.

You just never know who youre dealing with anymore. A confrontation driving a car can get you shot. There are people out there that dont care about laws, prison or death row.

Rumors now are that someone threatened to kill McNair the morning of this death.

You just never know who youre dealing with anymore. A confrontation driving a car can get you shot. There are people out there that dont care about laws, prison or death row.

I live in memphis and I have heard that story too ... Story was that a woman accused mcnair of slipping her a roofie and that this woman's boyfriend was after him ... but this is so early in the case ... there will be rumors for a bit

Moral of the Story ....

Do not go to break up with your Jump Off in person that is sooooo 90's Tweet, TEXT< IM, MySPACE, or FACEBBOK them outta your life.

He could be a lying, cheating and Drunk Driving SOB he did not deserve to get killed in cold blood. He leaves 4 sons with a memory of Dads last mistake. If you are a dad that has not made one stand up, If not say a prayer for those he left behind..

did he deserve to die? No. Very few people deserve to die.

But he made a pretty big mistake that led to his demise. Just because others make mistakes doesnt mean his mistakes should be glossed over or ignored. How about we learn a lesson from this instead of playing the he who is without sin card. Maybe, just maybe, if we as a society stopped making excuses for people and holding people accountable we would see less scumbag actions in this world.

Great QB and always a stand up guy.

This "3 death thing" is for real. (McMann, Farah, MJ) - (Bill Mays, McNair,......?

You're forgetting Carradine. The 3 death thing has been blown out of the water, celebs are dropping like flies.

RIP Steve McNair

This is truly horrible. One of my favorite Quarterbacks to watch growing up. He was tough as nails and you saw that most during the 2002-2005 seasons. Although, he wasn't an iron man like Chad Pennington was for us during those times.

R.I.P. Steve. You will be missed.

This is truly horrible. One of my favorite Quarterbacks to watch growing up. He was tough as nails and you saw that most during the 2002-2005 seasons. Although, he wasn't an iron man like Chad Pennington was for us during those times.

R.I.P. Steve. You will be missed.

Leaves behind 4 young sons. How sad.

Leaves behind 4 young sons. How sad.

And according to the people in the Tennessee & Baltimore organizations he ALWAYS brought his sons around the team, he was a very good father who wanted to be around his children.

very sad,,RIP..

This is kind of stuff that happens when you lead a lifestyle like this..

girlfriend belived his speil, wif ebelived his speil,,something eventually gonna crack..

in this case, sadly, gf was a headcase who over snapped when he probably tried to end it..or wanted to continue but not leave his wife like he probably promised..

sad....

very sad,,RIP..

girlfriend belived his speil, wif ebelived his speil,,something eventually gonna crack..

in this case, sadly, gf was a headcase who over snapped when he probably tried to end it..or wanted to continue but not leave his wife like he probably promised..

sad....

I like Steve Mcnair as a football player and I hopes his soul finds some peace. But, you are right. Messing with people like that never ends well. Though it usually ends in a messed up car and your name on a website not death, not death.

very sad,,RIP..

sad....

It's the life of a Pro Athlete. Most of them have various women all over the country. He picked the wrong one.

And according to the people in the Tennessee & Baltimore organizations he ALWAYS brought his sons around the team, he was a very good father who wanted to be around his children.

Cheating on the mother of your children isn't gonna get you father of the year, I'm afraid.

Cheating on the mother of your children isn't gonna get you father of the year, I'm afraid.

I agree. Not only cheating but according the the Daily News, he met her a mere 2 months ago, and already he bought her a Cadillac & rented her a condo. It was more than just sex. You don't spend that much $$$ on someone you're merely sleeping with. Tis truly a shame.

I agree. Not only cheating but according the the Daily News, he met her a mere 2 months ago, and already he bought her a Cadillac & rented her a condo. It was more than just sex. You don't spend that much $$$ on someone you're merely sleeping with. Tis truly a shame.

Does anyone know for sure that they were having sex/he was cheating or is this just a mere guessing game?

I'm guessing the latter.

Does anyone know for sure that they were having sex/he was cheating or is this just a mere guessing game?

I'm guessing the latter.

Your guess is wrong. he was having an affair with her. it doesnt really take a rocket scientist to figure out.

Police not ruling on woman's death

Comment Email Print Share

ESPN.com news services

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Former NFL quarterback Steve McNair's death has been classified a homicide, but the death of Sahel Kazemi, the woman found alongside him in his downtown condominium, remains unclassified, Nashville police said.

Autopsies were conducted early Sunday, and McNair was found to have suffered four gunshot wounds -- two to the head, and two to the chest, police spokesman Don Aaron said during an afternoon news conference.

Kazemi, 20, had one gunshot wound, to the head, according to police. A semiautomatic pistol was found under her body later during processing of the crime scene, and there was no sign of forced entry, police said.

As for the victims' connection, "They apparently were involved in a dating relationship over the past several months," Aaron said.

Police said they believed the two died early Saturday, long before the bodies were discovered.

Career Notes

Nashville police said Saturday night that they weren't actively looking for suspects, and also did not believe McNair's wife was involved.

Mechelle McNair, mother of two of his four sons, was expected to collect her husband's belongings from authorities. Funeral arrangements were not expected to be finalized until Monday afternoon at the earliest.

"She's still very upset, very distraught," said McNair's agent, Bus Cook.

McNair led the Tennessee Titans within a yard of forcing overtime in the 2000 Super Bowl, which they lost 23-16 to the St. Louis Rams. He also played two seasons for the Baltimore Ravens before retiring in April 2008.

In June, McNair had opened a restaurant in Nashville, near the Tennessee State University campus. The restaurant was closed Saturday evening, but had become the site of a small memorial, where flowers, candles and notes had been placed outside the door.

Friends declined to describe the relationship between McNair and Kazemi, who was a waitress at Dave & Buster's, a sports bar and entertainment restaurant in Nashville, where the two apparently first met.

A man who answered the door at a house in the Jacksonville, Fla., suburb of Orange Park said it was the home of Kazemi's family, but said her relatives did not want to comment.

"We don't have anything to say, please leave us alone," the man said.

But a Nashville neighbor saw McNair, 36, at Kazemi's apartment so often -- two to three times a week -- that he thought McNair had moved in. McNair never tried to hide his presence, but he did keep to himself.

Neighbor Reagan Howard said Kazemi often was dropped off in the early morning hours by a limousine, and recently had upgraded from her Kia to a Cadillac Escalade.

"It was pretty obvious that she was taken with him," Howard said.

McNair and Kazemi had been together just two days earlier, when she was pulled over while driving a 2007 Escalade registered to her and McNair. She was arrested on a DUI charges; McNair, who was a passenger in the car, was allowed to leave in a taxi.

According to The Tennessean, McNair later bailed Kazemi out of jail.

The bodies were discovered Saturday afternoon by McNair's longtime friend, Wayne Neeley, who rents the condo in the upscale Rutledge Hill neighborhood with McNair.

Neeley then called Robert Gaddy, who had been friends with McNair since they played at Alcorn State. Gaddy was the one who alerted authorities.

"People have certain things that they do in life," Gaddy told The Associated Press on Sunday. "We don't need to look on the situation at this time [but] on the fact we just lost a great member of society."

Cook, McNair's agent, said he was not aware that his client was seeing Kazemi, a woman whose name he learned about through reports of the shooting.

"It doesn't make any sense. I don't know what to say," Cook said.

Police said a witness saw McNair arrive at the condo between 1:30 and 2 a.m. local time Saturday and that Kazemi's vehicle was already there. The condominium is located within walking distance of an area filled with restaurants and nightspots, a few blocks from the Cumberland River and within view of the Titans' stadium.

Fred McNair, Steve McNair's oldest brother, said some family members likely would travel to Nashville on Monday.

"It's still kind of hard to believe," Fred McNair said. "He was the greatest person in the world. He gave back to the community. He loved kids and he wanted to be a role model to kids."

McNair and his wife split their time between Nashville and their farm in Mount Olive, Miss., according to a statement from the Titans.

An arrest affidavit from Thursday said Kazemi had bloodshot eyes and alcohol on her breath when she was pulled over, but refused a Breathalyzer test, telling police "she was not drunk, she was high."

Kazemi's ex-boyfriend, Keith Norfleet, told The Tennessean newspaper that he and Kazemi had dated for about four years, but broke up five months ago. He said he was concerned about her dating a married man, the newspaper reported.

"She is the sweetest girl, and she did not deserve this," Norfleet said upon learning of her death. "He was making her believe they were going to be together and everything would be perfect."

McNair grew up in rural Mount Olive, Miss., and became a nationally known college football star playing for Alcorn State, a Division I-AA school in his home state. He was so dominant in the Southwestern Athletic Conference, he became a Heisman Trophy contender. National media flocked to little Lorman in the southwest corner of the Magnolia state to get a look at "Air McNair." He still holds the Division I-AA (now known as Football Championship Subdivision) records for career yards passing (14,496) and total offense (16,823).

McNair was the third overall draft pick in 1995 by the Houston Oilers, who eventually became the Titans. He finished his career with 31,304 yards passing and 174 touchdowns. McNair's rugged style led to numerous injuries and aches. He played with pain for several years, and the injuries ultimately forced him to retire.

McNair is survived by Mechelle, his wife of nearly 12 years; and sons Junior, Steven, Tyler and Trenton.

Really? She can't just be a friend? Show some real proof other than they hung out a few times a week. Also, was his relationship with his wife doing that well? They hadn't spoken for days. It obviously wasn't doing too well and maybe they were on a break of their own.

But way to go trying to jump to conclusions.

Should've known there would be some classless people on here.

It's the life of a Pro Athlete. Most of them have various women all over the country. He picked the wrong one.

any one is the wrong one when you STILL have a wife and children at home.

Saying he picvked wrong one is implying there would be a righ tadultererand therfore enabling his lifestyle.

Really? She can't just be a friend? Show some real proof other than they hung out a few times a week. Also, was his relationship with his wife doing that well? They hadn't spoken for days. It obviously wasn't doing too well and maybe they were on a break of their own.

But way to go trying to jump to conclusions.

Should've known there would be some classless people on here.

Are you really that naive or has something affected your reading comprehension? What does a rich 36 year old former athlete have in common with a 20 year old waitress. In the article clearly people were expressing concern about her dating a married man. But im classless for stating the obvious. I know you're young, but you're not THAT young.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Former NFL quarterback Steve McNair's shooting death was a homicide, police said Sunday, but authorities stopped short of saying it was a murder-suicide committed by the 20-year-old girlfriend found dead by his side.

McNair, 36, was shot four times, twice in the head, by a semiautomatic pistol, Nashville police spokesman Don Aaron said. The woman, Sahel Kazemi, was killed by a single gunshot wound and the pistol was found under her body, Aaron said.

Aaron said the two had been in a "dating relationship for past several months."

Asked if the deaths could have caused by a lover's quarrel, Aaron said, "That's a very important part of the investigation as we work to ultimately classify Miss Kazemi's death."

yeah, she was "just a friend" :yawn:

any one is the wrong one when you STILL have a wife and children at home.

Saying he picvked wrong one is implying there would be a righ tadultererand therfore enabling his lifestyle.

$$$$ & stature are the bigger enablers. Athletes constantly need to get ego stroked, and what strokes the ego better than having some of the most beautiful women in the world begging to fellate them. Im not condoning his former lifestyle, im just not going to be naive about it. Women who get involved with athletes/entertainers know that cheating comes with the territory. They either have to deal with it so they can keep up the lifestyle they became accustomed to by getting in the high profile relationship, or leaving. Regrettably most wives don't leave even if they have knowledge of their husband's infidelity, which further enables the Athlete to cheat without fear of reprecussions.

Archived