1 member has voted

1. 1. what stung most?

• 2000: losing to raiders, lions and ravens to miss playoffs
    • 2002: pennington chokes vs Raiders in playoffs
    • 2004: losing to Pittsburgh in playoffs after beating SD
    • 2008: Favre's arm falls off after the Titans game...miss playoffs
    • 1998: losing to Denver after leading at halftime
    • other

I have to go with last season's, only because this team showed so much promise, being 2nd in the power rankings after beating the Patriots and Titans away. I actually believed, with all the misery surrounding this franchise, that we could make it to the superbowl. Of course my dreams were crushed just as quickly as they were built up.

I voted last year, but it has to be between that and the 1998 ending.

In 2000, we were a good team but we were not better than Oakland or Baltimore.

In 2002, we lost to a better team in Oakland.

2004 was heartbraking in we blew not one but two chances within two minutes (something I blame Herm more for than anything else), but we likely would have gotten beat by New England the following week.

2008 was the worst because of how wide open the AFC was and how good we looked against Tennessee. It was one the only time where I can remember people actually thinking the Jets were the best team in the AFC for a brief period (something we didn't even hear in 1998).

1998 is second because we were right there and it was our best opportunity that we had since the Mud Bowl to get to the Super Bowl.

Oh btw, though its not a season ending, I would put the 1999 opener on this list as well. We went from possible super bowl favorite to a non playoff team in less than one half. It still breaks my heart thinking about that game.

btw...this poll needs to be revised because the 1986 season is missing. 10-1 record and on our way to what looked like it could be homefield throughout. then we lose the last 5 and end up a wild card. only to lose to the browns in double OT in the divisional round...i still hate gastineau to this day for that roughing play.

98 and it's not even close

I was getting calls at halftime from people telling me the jets were going to the superbowl, and were going to beat the falcons

Agree 100%

Man we were going to the Super Bowl. The team we would have to beat in the Super Bowl was Atlanta.

We had already handled them nicely during the season. They didn

Denver is by far the worst season-ending loss for the Jets. If the Jets had held on to win that game they would have kicked the crap out of the Falcons in the Super Bowl.

The Pittsburgh loss was awful, but they probably would not have beaten the Patriots in the championship game anyway.

i don't even see how this is debatable. it's the loss to the broncos and it's not even close. we were 30 fu*king minutes from the superbowl and they fu*kin choked. and we would have whooped on the falcons like denver did.

I debated between that and the Steelers one. For me it was the Steelers because I was only 11 when we lost to the Broncos, and while I was a fan I didn't invest as much time or care as much as I did in the Jets in 2004.

I debated between that and the Steelers one. For me it was the Steelers because I was only 11 when we lost to the Broncos, and while I was a fan I didn't invest as much time or care as much as I did in the Jets in 2004.

yeah i guess i can see how it could bve that way for the younger guys here. i was 12 in the 86 season and i was pissed then though too.

definetely,the denver game.if that game was played at the weadow lands instead of mile high,it would have been a totally different outcome.besides the fact,i lost a bundle.i found a sucker who game me the points with the jets and gave me the vikings head up over the falcons.how could i lose????

1986 was the most phyiscally painful because it was freaking cold and some hillbilly retard thought it'd be pretty funny to dump a beer on the six-year old wearing a Ken O'Brien jersey. 1998 just seemed preordained. If somebody had told you before the game that the Jets would lead at halftime you'd still have been able to guess what would happen next. Elway. Jets. Yeah, that lead's safe. Totally. I have to admit that 2002 killed me, though. Chadsight is 20/20 but the fact of the matter is that going into Oakland we were coming off of basically the only stretch I can remember where we put together three straight wins in big games against good teams. I'm getting really tired of fielding teams that are just good enough to give you a valid excuse not to see the inevitable collapse coming.

I voted 98 -- But the Mud bowl and AJ ****ING DUHIE -- that name still burn in my memory.

I felt like a little kid who did not get what he wanted most of all on Christmas day I was bummed for 2 weeks after that one.

EDIT - correction on name

Some history for the kids on the board

http://www.jetnation.com/JetsWiki/index.php/Mud_Bowl (hey, I know that site)

The Mud Bowl was the name given to the 1982 AFC Championship game between the New York Jets and the Miami Dolphins. The game, played in terrible conditions on January 23, 1983, resulted in a win for the Dolphins, owing to some underhanded tactics by their head coach, Don Shula (and a nightmare performance by Richard Todd).

Shula

Some history for the kids on the board

http://www.jetnation.com/JetsWiki/index.php/Mud_Bowl (hey, I know that site)

The Mud Bowl was the name given to the 1982 AFC Championship game between the New York Jets and the Miami Dolphins. The game, played in terrible conditions on January 23, 1983, resulted in a win for the Dolphins, owing to some underhanded tactics by their head coach, Don Shula (and a nightmare performance by Richard Todd).

Shula

Archived