1 member has voted

1. 1. what stung most?

• 2000: losing to raiders, lions and ravens to miss playoffs
    • 2002: pennington chokes vs Raiders in playoffs
    • 2004: losing to Pittsburgh in playoffs after beating SD
    • 2008: Favre's arm falls off after the Titans game...miss playoffs
    • 1998: losing to Denver after leading at halftime
    • other

What about the 2 1/2 year bender we all went on after the spike game in '94?

My first two years of Jets fandom that I can remember --

95 and 96.

First two years of season tickets as well. 7 and 8 years old. 4-28.

I knew I shoulda switched when I was 9 and someone gave me an authentic Kordell Stewart Steeler jersey. That was a sign!

I have to go with last season's, only because this team showed so much promise, being 2nd in the power rankings after beating the Patriots and Titans away. I actually believed, with all the misery surrounding this franchise, that we could make it to the superbowl. Of course my dreams were crushed just as quickly as they were built up.

I voted along with you. Last year cut to the bone.

98 and it's not even close

I was getting calls at halftime from people telling me the jets were going to the superbowl, and were going to beat the falcons

i had my uncle who's a penn state fan up during that game and remember him being a dick and saying "ill root for the Broncos because they have 5 penn state players and thej ets only had 3"

grr

1986 was the most phyiscally painful because it was freaking cold and some hillbilly retard thought it'd be pretty funny to dump a beer on the six-year old wearing a Ken O'Brien jersey. 1998 just seemed preordained. If somebody had told you before the game that the Jets would lead at halftime you'd still have been able to guess what would happen next. Elway. Jets. Yeah, that lead's safe. Totally. I have to admit that 2002 killed me, though. Chadsight is 20/20 but the fact of the matter is that going into Oakland we were coming off of basically the only stretch I can remember where we put together three straight wins in big games against good teams. I'm getting really tired of fielding teams that are just good enough to give you a valid excuse not to see the inevitable collapse coming.

wait so you even lived in CLeveland back then? How'd you become a Jets fan anyway?

AS to 98, I agree with the sentiment, but I spent most of th season goign "Vinny Testerverde, wtf, shirly this will be the week that he throws 5 INTs?" only to finally buy into the idea that BIll Parcells > Namath Curse near the end of the season.

wait so you even lived in CLeveland back then? How'd you become a Jets fan anyway?

AS to 98, I agree with the sentiment, but I spent most of th season goign "Vinny Testerverde, wtf, shirly this will be the week that he throws 5 INTs?" only to finally buy into the idea that BIll Parcells > Namath Curse near the end of the season.

I thought anybody that remembered 1986 and 1990 would have thought the lead was safe. I watched it with my cousin who is a huge Giant fan and he proclaimed the game over at the half due to Bill Belichick's defensive genius. That little ****sucker!

I forgot they turned it over 6 times

that cinches it, '98 was the worst

On the first play following Curtis Martin's 1-yard TD run after Blake Spence blocked a punt, Elway found Ed McCaffrey wide open for 47 yards. That got the usually loud crowd back into the game and, two plays later, it was fullback Howard Griffith bulling his way in on an 11-yard reception.

Jason Elam, who would make field goals of 44 and 48 yards in the third quarter to give Denver the lead, then blooped a kickoff into a 25 mph wind that carried just past the second wave of Jets. The ball ricocheted back toward Denver territory and was grabbed by Keith Burns.

By then, New York was wavering.

"It was the combination of turning the ball over three times across midfield, which limited our scoring opportunities," said Bill Parcells, who added he will be back as coach next season. "Then we had special teams mistakes as well."

The Jets won their last seven games with a big-play attack and stingy defense, but they had neither in the second half. They turned the ball over six times in the game.

The Jets won their last seven games with a big-play attack and stingy defense, but they had neither in the second half. They turned the ball over six times in the game.

Davis broke it open with a 31-yard TD run just 18 seconds from the end of the Broncos' 20-point third quarter.

After Darrien Gordon's 36-yard punt runback, Davis sped through a gaping hole into the end zone, ending New York's remarkable run from 1-15 two years ago to a step from its first Super Bowl since 1969.

Elway, who finished 13-for-34 for 173 yards, was off. His receivers ran some poor routes and dropped some passes. The Jets got pressure on him, winding up with three sacks.

But all was right at the end. Gordon's interception of Vinny Testaverde, who threw for 356 yards, set up Elam's third field goal, a 35-yarder. Gordon had another pickoff with 2:47 to go.

That began the celebrations.

Shockingly for two teams that combined for 917 points this season, the game was scoreless for all but the final play of the first half. Both sides made some maddening point-costing mistakes as Denver was blanked through 30 minutes for the first time since September 1993.

The Jets opened the game moving smartly on Testaverde's passing to Wayne Chrebet. But John Hall missed a 42-yard field goal wide right.

The Broncos, whose quick starts had kept opponents off-stride all season, went three-and-out and David Meggett returned a punt 33 yards.

That was negated when Martin, who rarely fumbles, lost the ball for the second straight week and Tyrone Braxton recovered at the Denver 44. That punctuated a miserable day for Martin, who ran for just 14 yards on 13 carries.

This time, Denver didn't falter until it reached the New York 1. Davis rushed eight times for 42 yards on a 55-yard drive. But on fourth down, the struggling Elway -- who converted an earlier fourth down with a 9-yard run -- had his pass blocked by Mo Lewis.

The second quarter didn't begin any better. Broncos punter Tom Rouen dropped a snap and was tackled for a 9-yard loss and New York took over at the Denver 43.

After converting a fourth down on a 9-yard pass to Dedric Ward, the Jets continued the comedy of errors when Keith Byars fumbled at the Denver 18 and John Mobley recovered.

Elway finally got his first completion 5:20 into the second quarter, and Testaverde didn't throw his first incomplete pass until he'd connected on 13 straight, his longest streak of the year.

Still, it was 0-0 until the Jets struck on a 20-yard pass to Chrebet and a 26-yarder to Dedric Ward, setting up Hall's 32-yard field goal to end thehalf

My first two years of Jets fandom that I can remember --

95 and 96.

First two years of season tickets as well. 7 and 8 years old. 4-28.

I knew I shoulda switched when I was 9 and someone gave me an authentic Kordell Stewart Steeler jersey. That was a sign!

That reminds me. I never got the chance to thank you for not jinxing my team. =D>

;)

Archived