Lito to be cut

slats

I'm hoping for some clarification here. There's been talk on this site that Lito's contract will be allowed to expire, making him a UFA, which in turn would benefit the Jets because they'd be able to sign another UFA for whatever Lito signs for. NFLTalk is saying "cut," and I can't find anything on the 'net saying otherwise. Does anyone have the answer?

Lito Sheppard prepares for the free-agent market

Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2010 10:35 AM ET

Jets cornerback Lito Sheppard has wanted a shot at a market deal for several years.

Finally, he's going to get it.

A league source tells us that agent Drew Rosenhaus is telling teams that Lito Sheppard will be cut by the Jets.

It's no shock. Sheppard is due to receive a $10 million option bonus on or before the fifth day of the league year.

Said the source, "Sheppard won't make a total of $10 million over the rest of this career."

Sheppard was traded to New York last year, after jostling for a new contract following the arrival of Asante Samuel in Philly.

He's still under contract... So, it wouldn't be expiring.

That's how it looks. The talk was that he signed an extension that kicks in if the Jets pay him that $10M bonus, but his contract expires if they don't... ? I was believing that for a while, but now I'm leaning the other way.

That's how it looks. The talk was that he signed an extension that kicks in if the Jets pay him that $10M bonus, but his contract expires if they don't... ? I was believing that for a while, but now I'm leaning the other way.

My understanding was the Jets either pay the bonus on the date it's due, or cut him before then.

My understanding was the Jets either pay the bonus on the date it's due, or cut him before then.

The only way it would even matter would be if anybody was going to offer Sheppard the kind of money where it would make a difference whether he was a UFA or a cut, which nobody is going to do anyway.

I'm hoping for some clarification here. There's been talk on this site that Lito's contract will be allowed to expire, making him a UFA, which in turn would benefit the Jets because they'd be able to sign another UFA for whatever Lito signs for. NFLTalk is saying "cut," and I can't find anything on the 'net saying otherwise. Does anyone have the answer?

Jets cornerback Lito Sheppard has wanted a shot at a market deal for several years.

A league source tells us that agent Drew Rosenhaus is telling teams that Lito Sheppard will be cut by the Jets.

It's no shock. Sheppard is due to receive a $10 million option bonus on or before the fifth day of the league year.

Said the source, "Sheppard won't make a total of $10 million over the rest of this career."

Sheppard was traded to New York last year, after jostling for a new contract following the arrival of Asante Samuel in Philly.

That would be nice if he counted as a FA. Definitely could use that money to better the team, I hope that is how it goes down.

He'll make 10 million the rest of his career if he returns to something like peak form, which he clearly was not with the Jets. Don't know if he was hurt or what, but last year he was nowhere near the big play cornerback we were used to seeing.

I'll bet money Sheppard is starting somewhere to start the season next year. At least I hope. We need him to sign for a decent contract.

Read the opening post in this thread and explain to me why Lito would be a UFA. Thanks.

Read the opening post in this thread and explain to me why Lito would be a UFA. Thanks.

Huh? What am I missing slats? When the Jets do not pick up his option he will become an UFA.

Huh? What am I missing slats? When the Jets do not pick up his option he will become an UFA.

Players cut do not count as a team's UFA lost under the final eight rules.

So was he signed to an extension (everything I've seen today says he was), or was he signed to a separate contract that doesn't kick in until March 5 that the Jets can simply opt to not pay?

Players cut do not count as a team's UFA lost under the final eight rules.

So was he signed to an extension (everything I've seen today says he was), or was he signed to a separate contract that doesn't kick in until March 5 that the Jets can simply opt to not pay?

EDIT: Florio may be right calling it a "cut".

"The Jets sweetened Sheppard's contract, giving him a four-year, $27.2 million extension through 2013. It kicks in next year, when he receives a $10 million signing bonus in March."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/02/28/2009-02-28_jets_trade_for_eagles_cornerback_lito_sh.html#ixzz0gme1jdyU

Well he was the starter for many games on the #1 ranked defense. He got burned all of, how many, 3 to 4 times max?

3-4 per game.. He came into the AFC Championship game, and peyton all of a sudden started using him like a 42nd street hooker.

Can someone who isn't dumb like me recap this for me please.

You know, I'm not sure and I don't know if anyone else is.

If he is cut some are saying he's not considered an UFA which means they can't sign another player as a one in one out per se.

There's also a question of Sheppard's worth when he signs with another team but that's another discussion.

Do to them giving him an extention in his contract when traded last year I guess it would be considered a cut? However there is that 10 million dollar option...if not picked-up he becomes a FA. (It would have to make him a UFA) So how is that a "cut"???? So I don't know how he's not considered an UFA when the option is not picked up. ???

So I don't freaking know???:confused:

Sorry I'm dumb too. Disregard my crappy recap.

You know, I'm not sure and I don't know if anyone else is.

If he is cut some are saying he's not considered an UFA which means they can't sign another player as a one in one out per se.

There's also a question of Sheppard's worth when he signs with another team but that's another discussion.

Do to them giving him an extention in his contract when traded last year I guess it would be considered a cut? However there is that 10 million dollar option...if not picked-up he becomes a FA. (It would have to make him a UFA) So how is that a "cut"???? So I don't know how he's not considered an UFA when the option is not picked up. ???

So I don't freaking know???:confused:

Sorry I'm dumb too. Disregard my crappy recap.

The Jets will NOT be able to sign someone if he goes. He's still under contract. They'll be cutting him to avoid the 10M payout (can't blame him).

The Jets can sign free agents when one of their players, who had their contract EXPIRE (that's different than benig cut. EXPIRE = last season on it is 2009) is signed by someone else. YOU CAN'T SIGN SOMEONE ELSE UNTIL ONE OF YOUR FREE AGENTS IS SIGNED. So just because Feely is a free agent on 3/5, the Jets can't sign someone. They have to wait until Feely signs elsewhere. The amount he signs for in the 1st year is the amount the Jets can pay the new free agent in the 1st year!

This rule is ONLY IN PLACE for other free agents who meet ALL of the below criteria:

* Their contract has EXPIRED (same definition as above)

* They have 6 years of service time

The Jets will NOT be able to sign someone if he goes. He's still under contract. They'll be cutting him to avoid the 10M payout (can't blame him).

The Jets can sign free agents when one of their players, who had their contract EXPIRE (that's different than benig cut. EXPIRE = last season on it is 2009) is signed by someone else. YOU CAN'T SIGN SOMEONE ELSE UNTIL ONE OF YOUR FREE AGENTS IS SIGNED. So just because Feely is a free agent on 3/5, the Jets can't sign someone. They have to wait until Feely signs elsewhere. The amount he signs for in the 1st year is the amount the Jets can pay the new free agent in the 1st year!

This rule is ONLY IN PLACE for other free agents who meet ALL of the below criteria:

* Their contract has EXPIRED (same definition as above)

* They have 6 years of service time

Thanks aec4!

Archived