Jets workout OG Mike Iupati

Kentucky Jet

I present to you the starting offensive lines featured in Super Bowl XLIV, a game played by -easily- two of the top offensive teams in the NFL.

The Colts:

LT Johnson 6th round pick

LG Richard 7th

C Saturday UDFA

RG DeVan UDFA

RT Diem 4th

The Saints

LT Bushrod 4th

LG Nicks 5th

C Goodwin 5th (by the Jets)

RG Evans 4th

RT Stinchcomb 2nd

Ten starting offensive linemen, only one first day pick and that a second rounder. Two undrafted free agents, seven other second day selections.

You were saying?

I'm on your side of the argument, but the Jets line had 4 #1 picks on it, so you can go either way. I just think you can't draft a guy in the 1st and get nothing out of him. We're doing that with Gholston and it hurt this team.

I present to you the starting offensive lines featured in Super Bowl XLIV, a game played by -easily- two of the top offensive teams in the NFL.

The Colts:

LT Johnson 6th round pick

LG Richard 7th

C Saturday UDFA

RG DeVan UDFA

RT Diem 4th

The Saints

LT Bushrod 4th

LG Nicks 5th

C Goodwin 5th (by the Jets)

RG Evans 4th

RT Stinchcomb 2nd

Ten starting offensive linemen, only one first day pick and that a second rounder. Two undrafted free agents, seven other second day selections.

You were saying?

kelso-burn.jpg

I'm on your side of the argument, but the Jets line had 4 #1 picks on it, so you can go either way. I just think you can't draft a guy in the 1st and get nothing out of him. We're doing that with Gholston and it hurt this team.

The Jets are the unusual case with four first round picks. Most teams in the NFL have a mix of high and low picks, and as can be seen here, you can field a top unit without a single high pick and a couple UDFA's. The idea that you have to draft OL high to produce a successful unit is plain silly.

The Jets are the unusual case with four first round picks. Most teams in the NFL have a mix of high and low picks, and as can be seen here, you can field a top unit without a single high pick and a couple UDFA's. The idea that you have to draft OL high to produce a successful unit is plain silly.

Agreed... I was just being others to the argument they were going to use against ya.

If we draft a corner, he'll be our nickel guy. Nickel guy in my eyes is a starter.

If we draft a WR, he'll be #3.... and play a LOT

If we draft an OL, without another roster move, he'll come in sparingly barring injury.

Lowery will probably be the nickle back.

Our #3 WR will be our #4 or 5 target in the passing game. Both Keller and Leon would be featured more than that guy IMO.

They'd find snaps for anyone with as much talent as Iupati at those positions, but that's unlikely to happen. Hell, Iupati actually falling to us would be unlikely considering how much teams value OL.

I agree that if a starting DE or WR is available, that's the biggest impact pick we can make. But...I'd rather take the BPA if it's OL than reach for a DE or WR who may not be good enough to start.

Plus there's the scientific fact that every time the Jets have drafted an OL at #29 he's become an All-Pro. 100% folks. Look it up ;)

Lowery will probably be the nickle back.

Our #3 WR will be our #4 or 5 target in the passing game. Both Keller and Leon would be featured more than that guy IMO.

They'd find snaps for anyone with as much talent as Iupati at those positions, but that's unlikely to happen. Hell, Iupati actually falling to us would be unlikely considering how much teams value OL.

We are in serious trouble if Lowery is on the team, let alone in a position to play a lot. Manning and other pass happy teams will just abuse him.

We are in serious trouble if Lowery is on the team, let alone in a position to play a lot. Manning and other pass happy teams will just abuse him.

Lowery is fine as the nickel/dime back. We just need a guy to push him. CB still remains a high priority IMO. Revis and Cromartie are set as the starters, but with us having to take on the Manning's, Brady's, and Brees' of the league to compete for a championship, we need as many talented DB's as possible.

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a CB in the 2nd round, even in the 1st if Rex and company fall in love with a guy like Kyle Wilson or Devin McCourty.

TJ Iaupati is not merely reserve type of player. He is a quality OLman. Many label him as a can't miss or close to it player. He is fearsome in the run game and can pass protect. He can play OG or RT. He is a natural OG. If he is there at 29, he could be the BAP. We do have a need. Faneca is getting older and his pass protection is not all thatit should be. Let him mentor Iau[ati for a year and then : lights out! This is such a deep draft regarding DL/OLB pass rushers. Possibly we could move up in rd 2 and snag a quality pass rusher. We'd be off to a great start in this years draft. GO JETS!

+1200. Which is how many yards LT would get running behind Iaputi for a season.

If the Jets were to have an injury to one of their OL, you have Turner and Slauson ready to step in and fill the void. I would not expect too much of a drop off. The same cannot be said if Revis or Cotchery were to get hurt. Which would you rather see? Turner starting four games? Or Lowery or Clowney starting four games? The effect there cascades, as you'd now have Brad Smith as your 3rd WR, or Drew Coleman as your nickel. See what I'm saying here?

OL can be developed, and I'd expect them to take one later in the draft. First round would really surprise me. Like I said, I understand that you're a trenches guy, but the OL is probably the least of their worries.

I would be much more comfortable sliding Cromartie over to take on the No. 1 wr of the opposition and putting Lowrey on the number 2 than putting an upproven project on our OL for 4 games.

A 3rd WR will probably see the field as much or as more as a 6th OL.

We have 2 guys who can go into the slot right now and by adding Tomlinson we have another pass catching option out of the back field we didn't have last year.

We really don't have a lot of money tied up at CB. Cromartie's playing for the balance of his rookie deal.

I suspect we want to re-sign Cromartie and will do it this year if he shows up in camp. This is a player that Rex loves.

Both Cromartie and Braylon Edwards are under contract for just one year, and I think they're both on trials with the Jets. Neither is guaranteed to be here beyond next season. Be good to have top prospects in place. WR, especially, often takes a couple years to develop.

If you look at the direction this team is headed under Ryan we are always going to be a Defense and run heavy team. WR is much less important than maintaining our OL which are getting long in the tooth at two spots. It wouldn't shock me at all to see both Faneca and Woody done the end of this year.

The reason Bradway was fired in my opinion was his undervaluing of OL and his belief that he could develop late day picks and FA's. His declaration that Adrian Jones could step in and start at RT and eventually shift to LT lead to the team unraveling.

Braylon will probably be resigned or upgraded through a trade or if we get lucky a pick that doesn't have to be in the first round.

You do not draft an OL in round 1 and then sit him on the bench.

Normally, I would agree with you.

However, look at the Jets offensive roster. Every starting position is addressed. They won't be drafting ANYONE as a starter in that spot IF they go offense. If they go RB, it's for depth... if they go WR, it's for depth... and if they go OG, it's for depth.

Next year?

Then we have more young players read to step in to take over for aging stars.

This is the benefit of truly being able to draft BPA.

Tanny has done a terrific job of loading our starting lineup if we are basically drafting depth for 2010 in round one.

Could groom him to be Faneca's replacement in 2011, but we still have starting needs at #3 CB, DE, and slot WR, so I wouldn't pull the trigger unless there is nobody left at either of those positions that we covet.

Could groom him to be Faneca's replacement in 2011, but we still have starting needs at #3 CB, DE, and slot WR, so I wouldn't pull the trigger unless there is nobody left at either of those positions that we covet.

Even if he's better than anyone else available? If he was actually there at 29, I'm willing to guess he's probably the BPA by a decent amount.

I'd have no complaints if we took Iupati at #29.

Hell, he'd probably be near the top, if not #1, on my short list if he was still available. The guy is an elite interior OL, arguably the best OG prospect in the past decade. I'd be surprised if he makes it past #18 to the Steelers at the absolute latest.

We're picking at the tail end of round one. Odds are no one that we pick will start their rookie season. With Faneca and Woody getting longer in the tooth, it wouldn't be such a bad idead to groom a young stud behind them for a season.

BTW, Faneca's cap number is ridiculous next year. Something like $10 million. Odds are this is his last year with the team. I'd rather have Iupati waiting in the wings over Slauson or some other no name scrub.

Archived