2010 1st, 2010 2nd, Leon Washington & 2011 1st = Ndamukong Suh

Greenseed4

Terrific value if you ask me.

Detroit gets to trade out of the expensive #2 spot, and in turn lands a premier running back in Leon Washington, an OT and a DT before the 3rd round (THIS year) as well as getting an additional first round pick next year.

We get the draft's most dominant DL in an uncapped year.

A line with Ellis, Jenkins and Suh, makes even Gholston look like the freak he was in Indy.

Q_w__l971NI

With this trade, there is a great possiblity that Detroit could land Terrance Cody, Tyson Alualu AND and a second tier OT (like Bruce Campbell or Charles Brown or Rodger Safford) all while getting Leon Washington AND an additional first round pick next year.

As a result, we would win the SB and rebound from missing our 2011 first rounder by attracting veteran FA's.

Anyone that trades for Washington is a fool...I'd agree if it were pre-injured Washington, but what are you getting in this guy now? Would you purchase a used car without test driving it first? The guy hasn't even started running yet. Why do you think he's still out there?

I think this would be a great trade. If we do win a superbowl with Suh, we would be 31st to pick, so it wouldnt be much value in that 2011 1st pick anyways.

I think trading up is a must for the jets. I would love if we could get graham, kindle, or earl thomas. If we stay where were at then we would have to go by BAP rule, and that player will most likely be golden tate.

Great trade? Are you serious? You want to give up a 1st and a 2nd round picks in the deepest draft in about a decade, + Leon Washington, + the 2011 1st round pick, and then the Jets gets rewarded with a player who doesn't fit into a 3-4 defense and will be payed an enormous amount of money? No thanks.

I rather trade down and accumulate picks. This draft is too deep to do all that. There are going to be so many star players in the 3rd-4th round.

Great trade? Are you serious? You want to give up a 1st and a 2nd round picks in the deepest draft in about a decade, + Leon Washington, + the 2011 1st round pick, and then the Jets gets rewarded with a player who doesn't fit into a 3-4 defense and will be payed an enormous amount of money? No thanks.

I rather trade down and accumulate picks. This draft is too deep to do all that. There are going to be so many star players in the 3rd-4th round.

+1000000000000000

What I dont understand is how the helll we would be able to trade down. How is that even possible? Were 29th on the freakin board. All the 1st round talent has been eaten up and were gonna be left with leftovers, why would any team make a deal with us to trade down?

And are you joking? April Fools has passed. Suh would be the most dominant 3-4 end of all time! I think he could pass Seymour in that regard. How in the heck your gonna say Suh wouldnt fit into a 3-4, his strength is off the charts and handles double teams like its nothing. Your a mad man.

What I dont understand is how the helll we would be able to trade down. How is that even possible? Were 29th on the freakin board. All the 1st round talent has been eaten up and were gonna be left with leftovers, why would any team make a deal with us to trade down?

And are you joking? April Fools has passed. Suh would be the most dominant 3-4 end of all time! I think he could pass Seymour in that regard. How in the heck your gonna say Suh wouldnt fit into a 3-4, his strength is off the charts and handles double teams like its nothing. Your a mad man.

He just won't fit in a 3-4 defense. And all the talent will be gone by the time the Jets pick? Are you serious? This is the deepest draft in more than 10 years. On top of that, the Jets need depth. This will be the stupidest trade to ever go down.

He just won't fit in a 3-4 defense. And all the talent will be gone by the time the Jets pick? Are you serious? This is the deepest draft in more than 10 years. On top of that, the Jets need depth. This will be the stupidest trade to ever go down.

If you say so

This is not a 1-player draft. Trading up more than nominally, in round 1 in particular, is dumb.

- Eventually, these good high-priced veterans we've signed are going to cease to be worth their compensation or retire outright (Faneca, Woody, Jenkins, Pace). They will need to be replaced, and we're not going to tolerate pro bowl types being replaced with 5th & 6th rounders.

- Plus we have young players now or next year in need of significant new contracts or extensions (Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Edwards if we keep him, Cromartie, Leonhard). Cotchery or his agent may also feel that he is being undercompensated.

- We would still have question marks either short-term or long-term or both at OLB, S, CB, FB, and any other position for players mentioned above that we can't afford.

- The last thing this team needs is a $12-13M per season draftee at a non-QB position.

- In addition to the other current Jets players we won't be able to afford long-term, we also won't have a 2nd-rounder this year, nor a 1st rounder next year, nor whatever pick we might be able to get for Leon who as of yet doesn't seem to be in the team's long-term plans.

I can't think of many more short-sighted moves for a franchise full of high-priced veterans, and players emerging from their rookie contracts, than for said franchise to throw 3 high draft choices and a veteran-HOF'er-in-his-prime type contract at a rookie.

I'm sure Suh, while not a prototypical 3-4 DE, would be a welcome and productive addition to the Jets. But considering the 3 other high pick prospects we'd be passing on (two 1's and a 2, with two of those picks in a sickly deep draft) PLUS the 2 cornerstone veterans we now have that we'd have to let go of, the team would not benefit from such a trade-up.

If anything at all, you make a move up like that for a QB and nothing else. And you don't even do that in a super-deep draft unless there's a Peyton Manning or John Elway type of QB prospect coming out and you have absolutely nothing at QB.

At our current slot, we're in position to get an excellent prospect at (relatively) very cheap dollars, and have him locked up at those low dollars for half a decade. Oh, and we also have our 2 and next year's 1 and still retain Leon.

At least when we moved up for DRob it could be rationalized in that it was thought to be a low talent draft with 4 heavyweights at the top (DRob being the 4th). And even then it was still stupid. Moving up from #29 to a position where Suh could be drafted would be mindless behavior, even if we could find someone willing to accept that trade in the first place.

Next year's draft is going to be crap, and based on the assumption that we'll be picking late it's less like a first round pick and more like a second.

Leon is the wild card that makes the deal enticing for Detroit. They've been linked to wanting a RB, perhaps Jahvid Best at the top of round-2... Getting Leon would enable them to focus elsewhere.

Additionally, Detroit has been picking at the top of the draft for the better part of the last decade... They could certainly use the cap relief.

As for the "star players" in the 3rd and 4th round, we don't pick until the 4th round anyway and we'd still have that pick.

Essentially, we're trading Leon and two 2nd round picks to get the most dominant defender in the draft, save Eric Berry.

This is not a 1-player draft. Trading up more than nominally, in round 1 in particular, is dumb.

Unless you land the draft's most dominant defensive player who can start immediately at the position of our greatest weakness, and likely dominate.

Eventually, these good high-priced veterans we've signed are going to cease to be worth their compensation or retire outright (Faneca, Woody, Jenkins, Pace). They will need to be replaced, and we're not going to tolerate pro bowl types being replaced with 5th & 6th rounders.

Unless their replacements are adequate, and compliment the younger probowl talent we trade up for (i.e., Bart Scott and Jamall Westerman are UDFAs, that compliment David Harris who we traded up for).

- Plus we have young players now or next year in need of significant new contracts or extensions (Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Edwards if we keep him, Cromartie, Leonhard). Cotchery or his agent may also feel that he is being undercompensated.

- We would still have question marks either short-term or long-term or both at OLB, S, CB, FB, and any other position for players mentioned above that we can't afford.

We would be trading Leon Washington and two picks to take care of a position we've neglected (DL). It wouldn't be the first time this FO has traded multiple picks for a player they covet. Although this time, Suh is a truly dominant talent. That would excel as a two gapping 34 DE.

We currently have a log-jam at OLB including a high priced draftee in Gholston (who maaaay turn out) a promising talent in UDFA Westerman, and we are pursuing Jason Taylor. Also, we've made moves to add CB and S talent in the last month. And give me a break with the FB talk, that isn't a position that would be affected by this trade...

- The last thing this team needs is a $12-13M per season draftee at a non-QB position.

I can't really respond to cap stuff as I'm not a number's guy... I'll have to lean on you for that. However, drafting one dominant player at $12-13M/year has to be somewhat equivocable to the salaries of 2 first round picks, a second round pick and Leon Washington.

- In addition to the other current Jets players we won't be able to afford long-term, we also won't have a 2nd-rounder this year, nor a 1st rounder next year, nor whatever pick we might be able to get for Leon who as of yet doesn't seem to be in the team's long-term plans.

see above

I can't think of many more short-sighted moves for a franchise full of high-priced veterans, and players emerging from their rookie contracts, than for said franchise to throw 3 high draft choices and a veteran-HOF'er-in-his-prime type contract at a rookie.

Well, I got one: drafting a FB in the first two rounds.

I'm sure Suh, while not a prototypical 3-4 DE, would be a welcome and productive addition to the Jets. But considering the 3 other high pick prospects we'd be passing on (two 1's and a 2, with two of those picks in a sickly deep draft) PLUS the 2 cornerstone veterans we now have that we'd have to let go of, the team would not benefit from such a trade-up.

Who exactly would we be passing up? and who are the 2 veterans we'd be passing up? Leon Washington is ONE player by my count... one that has been replaced by LT in recent weeks. Either way, trading ALLL those players for a rookie that could provide a pass rush from our aging DE position might be worth it.

If anything at all, you make a move up like that for a QB and nothing else. And you don't even do that in a super-deep draft unless there's a Peyton Manning or John Elway type of QB prospect coming out and you have absolutely nothing at QB.

yeah, a QB or a RB, or a DT, or a WR or a LT... or any player a team deems worthy of trading up in such a super deep draft.

At our current slot, we're in position to get an excellent prospect at (relatively) very cheap dollars, and have him locked up at those low dollars for half a decade. Oh, and we also have our 2 and next year's 1 and still retain Leon.

Spermy, at this point, it is just getting redundant. You dislike the trade idea. I get it. Drafting Suh would be better value for us than to draft two other "high" draft picks, a second tier DE and retain Leon.

At least when we moved up for DRob it could be rationalized in that it was thought to be a low talent draft with 4 heavyweights at the top (DRob being the 4th). And even then it was still stupid. Moving up from #29 to a position where Suh could be drafted would be mindless behavior, even if we could find someone willing to accept that trade in the first place.

Yeah but, Suh is like a bowling ball with butcher knives, and the Lions ARE a stupid franchise.

:cheers:

Terrific value if you ask me.

Detroit gets to trade out of the expensive #2 spot, and in turn lands a premier running back in Leon Washington, an OT and a DT before the 3rd round (THIS year) as well as getting an additional first round pick next year.

We get the draft's most dominant DL in an uncapped year.

A line with Ellis, Jenkins and Suh, makes even Gholston look like the freak he was in Indy.

Q_w__l971NI

:shock: Don't you think it's a tad STEEP for an unproven rookie ? SERIOUSLY

Unproven rookie?

Yes. But we would be exchanging three lesser unproven rookies and an unproven post-rehab Leon Washington for a player thought of to be the best (sure-fire) DL prospect to enter the league in the last decade.

Steep?

Yes. Moving up to the #2 spot would be a very expensive venture.

Worth it?

Who knows... I thought it was ridiculous that we would move up in last year's draft to get a guy who had less than 16 college starts, and then trade away the rest of our draft on a RB when we had two pro-bowl RBs on roster.

Unless you land the draft's most dominant defensive player who can start immediately at the position of our greatest weakness, and likely dominate.

Wrong. This is still not a 1-player draft no matter how much man-love you get for any 1 player. Suh was not a 3-4 DE in college. You are taking a person's dominance in college at one position in one system, 90% of whose opponents are not NFL-worthy, and translating it into assumed sure-thing dominance at a different position against true NFL talent and coaching. Worse still, you're advocating trading 4 players and the inability to re-sign an established 5th player for this opportunity. NO ONE moves up from #29 into the top 3.

Eventually, these good high-priced veterans we've signed are going to cease to be worth their compensation or retire outright (Faneca, Woody, Jenkins, Pace). They will need to be replaced, and we're not going to tolerate pro bowl types being replaced with 5th & 6th rounders.

Unless their replacements are adequate, and compliment the younger probowl talent we trade up for (i.e., Bart Scott and Jamall Westerman are UDFAs, that compliment David Harris who we traded up for).

So your answer is to balance the trading of 3 high picks plus the assumed 2nd-3rd round trade value of a 4th player plus the cap space needed to re-sign a 5th established core team member, is to find a Bart Scott type from the undrafted group? Really, that's your answer?

We would be trading Leon Washington and two picks to take care of a position we've neglected (DL). It wouldn't be the first time this FO has traded multiple picks for a player they covet. Although this time, Suh is a truly dominant talent. That would excel as a two gapping 34 DE.

It is BECAUSE this FO has traded multiple picks for draft prospects that it can't - and won't - continue to do so in a draft like this. Had teams come knocking and offered us 2nd-3rd rounder for Leon or a 3rd-5th rounder for Clemens, or other tagged value for others like Brad Smith or Eric Smith, then that would be one thing. As it is we already are without a full arsenal of picks in a super-deep draft.

We currently have a log-jam at OLB including a high priced draftee in Gholston (who maaaay turn out) a promising talent in UDFA Westerman, and we are pursuing Jason Taylor. Also, we've made moves to add CB and S talent in the last month. And give me a break with the FB talk, that isn't a position that would be affected by this trade...

I can't really respond to cap stuff as I'm not a number's guy... I'll have to lean on you for that. However, drafting one dominant player at $12-13M/year has to be somewhat equivocable to the salaries of 2 first round picks, a second round pick and Leon Washington.

If Detroit values Leon so much they're willing to give up the value of a mid-late 2nd round pick, then get the value of a mid-late 2nd round pick from them annd call it a day. But no successful team trades two 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, and the value of another 2nd round pick for the opportunity to give a rookie DT franchise QB money and then make him face the types of players he's never faced before (NFL-level left tackles or getting double-teamed by an NFL-level LT and LG).

The point is you're calling him dominant at a position he hasn't played yet, against the types of linemen he hasn't been asked to face ever before. I think he'll be a really good player, if not a great player. But not so great as to necessitate the reigning #1 defense to trade the value of 2 firsts and 2 seconds and in-his-prime HOF money for a rookie.

Expect the #3 pick to sign a contract for roughly $12-13M per year.

Expect the #29 pick to sign a contract for roughly $2.5M per year.

Expect the #59 pick to sign a contract for roughly $800K per year

So even if you double that for 2 firsts and 2 seconds, you're still eating up another $6M per year, or roughly what is likely to be the average salary for a new contract for David Harris (who is a free agent after this season). So while you expect to gain with Suh over someone else, you lose ground with a 4th-round or lower player over Harris (as well as the outright loss of another 1st rounder and two more 2nd rounders).

You simply can't throw huge contracts at everyone, only draft players who require the trading of 1-3 other players, and expect to retain that high-priced talent for more than one season. The Yankees, Red Sox, etc can do that because baseball has no salary cap. Other than this one season, you have to expect the NFL will have one AND that the cap limit may very well go down rather than up.

see above

Well, I got one: drafting a FB in the first two rounds.

Yes, that would be one example. But since no one is advocating that for consideration, it hardly counts.

Who exactly would we be passing up? and who are the 2 veterans we'd be passing up? Leon Washington is ONE player by my count... one that has been replaced by LT in recent weeks. Either way, trading ALLL those players for a rookie that could provide a pass rush from our aging DE position might be worth it.

The other player is the $6M per season veteran core player that we will now have to do without, as outlined above.

yeah, a QB or a RB, or a DT, or a WR or a LT... or any player a team deems worthy of trading up in such a super deep draft.

Show me a team who trades the value of two firsts and two seconds for any non-QB (let alone a ROOKIE non-QB) and I'll show you a team that will always be horrible until all management and scouts are replaced.

Spermy, at this point, it is just getting redundant. You dislike the trade idea. I get it. Drafting Suh would be better value for us than to draft two other "high" draft picks, a second tier DE and retain Leon.

That is incorrect. It is worse value.

Yeah but, Suh is like a bowling ball with butcher knives, and the Lions ARE a stupid franchise.

Suh is a better prospect than DRob ever was and, barring injury or unexpected laziness and complacency, will have a more successful NFL career. And it would still be a foolish move. So foolish you will not see one team ever make a move like that for a college DT so they can convert him to a RDE at the pro level and face NFL left tackles for the first time. Not now and not ever.

;)

That's a terrible trade for the Lions.

The 29th pick, the 61st pick, and the 32nd pick in the 2011 draft plus a 28 yr old scatback who can't pass a physical.

So, essentially, the Lions are traded the 2010 2nd overall pick for 2 2nd rounders, a 3rd rounder and a hurt backup RB.

;)

You make several compelling points, of them my least favorite are:

1. Suh hasn't played this position before.

Very few college teams play a 3-4 package, so getting a college ready 34 DE is a tough venture, you need to aim for two-gapping DTs; you know that. In fact I really like Alualu for that very reason; the fact that he has extensive experience as a DE in a 34. Unfortunately, Alualu at 29 would be reaching, and I doubt he falls to 61.

Either way, size, strength, speed, and rushing-repetoires compared; Suh is a much more dominant player. In fact, he's the #1 ranked DT, compared to Alualu's #7.

(draftcountdown.com)

2. The money argument.

Trading up is an expensive venture, no doubt. But it seems $12M/season is the max (looking at last years' contracts) so more accurately stated we'd be looking at a $11-$12M/season salary for Suh. Two first round players around the #29 spot (2010, and 2011) at $2.5M/ year, plus a 2010 2nd rounder at $700K/year, plus Leon Washington at let's say $4M/year would be near or around $10M/season

That's a $1-$2M difference. Provded we DID trade up for Suh, I doubt that money difference would negate the interest. Tanny is pretty creative, I believe he has the ability to tinker with numbers to squeeze the cream out of our crop. That money will appear immediately should Ellis, Edwards, Thomas, or any other "fringe" player retire, get traded, or go unsigned.

3. The value argument.

This is really where the crux of this debate lies. Is it more valuable to have FOUR players (3 rooks and Leon) or ONE potentially dominant rookie? At this point, who knows, really. Leon might be amazing (as usual) and the other 3 players might be serviceable players. Let me ask this question a different way, which move is more valuable for our DL?

Reports (during smoke-and-mirrors week) are that Odrick will not fall past Baltimore at 25. So we are stuck reaching for a player (Alualu, Wooten, Carrington) or trading down (which as much as I wish for EVERY year, never seems to happen). We have failed to resign Douglass, don't know what we have in Manuel Wright, have Big Katt entering his ninth or tenth year, and just signed DeVito (who I don't mind at all) to an extension. However, we still need to UPgrade this unit. Suh is the only player I could see UPgrading this unit before week-1... not Alualu, Wooten, or Carrington.

We pick so late in the first round, and I intend on picking late next year as well. The trade is very much like four 2nd round picks to get the #2 overall. At this stage in the game, we are only a couple pieces away. We have finally hit that point where adding one or two more quality pieces to the puzzle will put us over the top. Unlike Detroit, who is clearly in a rebuild mode and could benefit from the additional selections.

Leon is on a 1-year tender at $1.76M that he hasn't even signed yet. I don't know where your $4M per season estimate came from. But if Leon carries the value of a late 2nd (which he doesn't), we would have that pick and trade it away in your scenario. Therefore you are moving that late 2 pick's salary (about $700K), not Leon Washington's salary; and certainly not what Leon Washington's agent dreams of his client's salary being.

Given inflation from year to year, the #2 pick will average over $12M per year, not $11-12M.

Your averaging up (Leon's $ or a late #2's contract value) and down (#2 pick) where it suits you conveniently removes millions per year difference.

Two late 1sts = about $5M per year

Our late 2nd = about $700K per year

Leon's value in your wildest dreams = another late 2nd = about $700K per year

Total = about $6.5M per year, or about $6M per year less than the #2 overall pick will average. A lot more than a $1-$2M difference you're claiming. PLUS you're getting one player with a first round pick instead of 4 other draftees (two firsts and two seconds) PLUS the $6M salary we now won't be able to afford for one of our stud veterans like Harris.

The salary isn't remotely "almost the same" unless you are a using politicians' math at crunching numbers.

It is a BIG difference. And you're swapping 5 players for 1 player. Late first and second rounders aren't garbage and neither is a $6M per year veteran in his prime.

Suh is likely going to be a stud. And while I'd welcome him here with open arms and open mouth whilst on my knees, I still wouldn't trade two firsts plus two seconds plus the inability to sign David Harris or Nick Mangold, for Suh to face NFL left tackles for the first time in his life.

Also, a late first is not just like an early 2nd. A late 2nd is very similar to an early 3rd and so forth, but not so when going from round 1 to round 2. There is a greater difference between the #29 and #35 prospect than from the #59 to #65 prospect or #89 to #95 prospect. Further, you get the 1st round player for an additional season before contract renegotiations commence. 2nd-7th rounders can only get 4 year contracts under the current CBA. First rounders can get a 5 year contract. It's likely the real reason we traded up to get Keller, rather than fear over him getting picked by someone else. Tannenbaum likes acquiring veterans and having draftees play an extra year under their cheaper rookie contracts assists in his ability to do so.

SE,

Leon's tender is ridiculous. It is widely understood that he was holdling out for more than $5M/ year. So don't damn me for rounding down a bit. You and I BOTH know he (and his dumbass agent) were holding out for MJD money. Reports of his turning down $5M/ year are documented... and recently it's come to light that he wasn't offered that.

However, he deserves at least $4M/year for what he does (or did pre LT) so cut me some slack on that part of the argument.

LW plus 2 late first rounders, plus a 2nd round pick = about $10M/ year

period.

Lets say that Suh is the magical Mr. mistoffelees... he is worth the money differential.

Imagine a 3-man pass rush that gets pressure. Suh, Jenkins and Ellis.

Imagine that same 3-man pass rush with an unknown blitzer...

Imagine that same 3-man pass rush with two unknown blitzers...

To beat this defense, teams are going to have to go spread offense. The more pressure we can get with our down lineman, the more effective our coverage team will be. Think about it. Suh is worth the move up.

The Jets are not giving Leon Washington $4M per year. He is not pre-injury or pre-LT. He is post-injury and post-LT. Therefore he isn't getting that money from the Jets. He gets one year at $1.76M, not $4M per year every year.

Two late first rounders plus a late 2nd plus Leon isn't getting a team to #2 unless Leon's value is a 2nd rounder, and even then we'd fall short.

2010 #29 pick value = 640

2010 #61 pick value = 292

2011 #29 pick value = 292

TOTAL = 1224

#2 overall pick = 2600

You want to count Leon as having the trade value of the #8 or #9 pick in the country, and then in the next breath say his second round tender amount is ridiculous.

If his trade value is anywhere NEAR as high as you're placing it for the purposes of this trade, we should take that pick and draft someone with it, rather than pooling it with yet another 2nd rounder PLUS two - TWO!! - first round picks. All for the opportunity to draft a player to then move to face NFL veteran left tackles with the occasional NFL veteran LG pitching in to help.

Pass the peyote. Hogging it all for yourself is rude.

While I would love him if he could be had for reasonable pick and money cost, the fact is he cannot. This defense is going to be dominant without Suh, so trading up from #29 to #2 is far beyond an unnecessary luxury.

Another thing, there's no way in hell Tannenbaum is trading a future 1st rounder.

Why? Because he didn't need to trade a future 1st rounder for a franchise QB.

Tanny puts a value on the Jets picks based on position that we've seen, he most certaintly won't trade a future 1st rounder for a DT when he didn't have to do it for a more important position.

The Jets are not giving Leon Washington $4M per year. He is not pre-injury or pre-LT. He is post-injury and post-LT. Therefore he isn't getting that money from the Jets. He gets one year at $1.76M, not $4M per year every year.

Two late first rounders plus a late 2nd plus Leon isn't getting a team to #2 unless Leon's value is a 2nd rounder, and even then we'd fall short.

2010 #29 pick value = 640

2010 #61 pick value = 292

2011 #29 pick value = 292

TOTAL = 1224

#2 overall pick = 2600

You want to count Leon as having the trade value of the #8 or #9 pick in the country, and then in the next breath say his second round tender amount is ridiculous.

If his trade value is anywhere NEAR as high as you're placing it for the purposes of this trade, we should take that pick and draft someone with it, rather than pooling it with yet another 2nd rounder PLUS two - TWO!! - first round picks. All for the opportunity to draft a player to then move to face NFL veteran left tackles with the occasional NFL veteran LG pitching in to help.

Pass the peyote. Hogging it all for yourself is rude.

While I would love him if he could be had for reasonable pick and money cost, the fact is he cannot. This defense is going to be dominant without Suh, so trading up from #29 to #2 is far beyond an unnecessary luxury.

lol at the peyote comment.

That trade value chart is garbage, and besides, Leon is worth 1400 points.

Archived