Little Zach Thomas rips Dolphins over brother-in-law

Klecko73isGod

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/21959/thomas-blasts-dolphins-over-taylor

Thomas blasts Dolphins over Taylor

April, 21, 2010 Apr 21

10:00

AM ET

Email Print Share

By Tim Graham

Zach Thomas is infuriated over the way the Miami Dolphins handled Jason Taylor's departure.

Thomas and Taylor combined for 13 Pro Bowls in the 11 years they starred together for the Dolphins defense. They're also brothers-in-law. Taylor married Thomas' sister, Katina.

nfl_taylor_thomas_300.jpg

Gregory Shamus/Getty ImagesZach Thomas (right) was not pleased with the way the Dolphins treated his former teammate, Jason Taylor (left).

So you better believe Thomas had a well-informed and passionate opinion about how the Dolphins handled Taylor's situation and his decision to join the New York Jets.

"Everybody hates the Jets," Thomas told Sid Rosenberg of Miami sports-radio station WQAM. "I hate the Jets. But he has to do what he has to do and get respect. You're driven by respect as a player, especially the good ones. And he's got it from Rex Ryan."

Thomas' comments will resonate with Dolfans. While they ran hot and cold with Taylor over the years because he sometimes was viewed as a pretty boy who made too many commercials and dared to participate in "Dancing With the Stars" and not Bill Parcells' first offseason conditioning program in 2008, Thomas is revered.

Thomas is a Dolphins icon, an everyman overachiever who was drafted in the fifth round and selected first-team All-Pro five times. When I asked readers to select their Dolphins Mount Rushmore as part of an ESPN.com project last year, Thomas received the fourth-most votes behind Dan Marino, Don Shula and Larry Csonka.

Thomas, his decibel level rising throughout the interview, said he's "a Dolphin for life," but alleged Taylor deserved better treatment from general manager Jeff Ireland.

"I mean, all-time sack leader right now as an active player, and you're going to talk about him when you're asked in the media like he's a first- or second-year player?" Thomas said. "[ireland] should know how to respect guys that's been great to the game. That's fine if you don't have a need for him, but you tell him up front."

The Dolphins insisted upon waiting until after the draft to address Taylor's future with the club. Even then, there were no guarantees they'd have Taylor back.

The move was bittersweet for Thomas, who predicted Taylor will thrive with the Jets.

"He's sad," Thomas said. "He waited as long as he could. Everybody wants to feel wanted. The Jets, they wanted him. They're a team on the rise, and I hate to say it, but they got the No. 1 defense and are going to be even stronger, and you don't think Rex Ryan has a game plan for Jason Taylor?

"It's going to be better than the game plan they used with him [in 2009] because I hated watching it. When they were taking him out on third down, it was like taking Bruce Smith out on third down. That was frustrating for me. I'm a fan now. You don't take one of the greatest pass-rushers of all-time out on third down."

Thomas didn't appreciate the way the Dolphins handled his exit after the 2007 season, either.

Shortly after Bill Parcells took over football operations and hired Ireland and head coach Tony Sparano, they released Thomas after a dozen highly decorated seasons.

Thomas said he had only one request as he cleaned out his locker, to say goodbye to Dolfans with a news conference at the team's facility. The request was denied.

"You've got to respect players that's been good to the game," Thomas said. "I don't like the organization to look bad that way."

:rl:

I'm over it. Jets acquired a 36 yr old washed up OLB who no one else wanted. Do i wish it was handled differently and JT didn't sign with the Jets...Yea. Am I worried that JT is gonna is gonna provide anything but an occasional garbage time sack....No. Jets have official put themselves in position where it's superbowl or bust after signing all these washed up veterans and misfits. It will make for a few laughs when they fall flat on their face.

I'm over it. Jets acquired a 36 yr old washed up OLB who no one else wanted. Do i wish it was handled differently and JT didn't sign with the Jets...Yea. Am I worried that JT is gonna is gonna provide anything but an occasional garbage time sack....No. Jets have official put themselves in position where it's superbowl or bust after signing all these washed up veterans and misfits. It will make for a few laughs when they fall flat on their face.

Will you please just come out of the closet already?

meh.. i don't know how this reads well for the jets either..

he didn't want to come, he hates the jets, but his first choice didn't want him anymore..

In this situation, we're basically the fat chick who does everything in bed that you "Date" when you don't have a better option..

Will you please just come out of the closet already?

JT has been a jet for only one day and your already turning gay? In all seriousness he is done, only reason this has been blown up is because of the landing place. Pressure is on Jets fans, Superbowl or Bust. I guarantee Bust.

JT has been a jet for only one day and your already turning gay? In all seriousness he is done, only reason this has been blown up is because of the landing place. Pressure is on Jets fans, Superbowl or Bust. I guarantee Bust.

Famous last words.

Piece of advice, sports guarantees usually only work out for guys who play for NY teams - Joe Namath, Mark Messier. ;)

What would you be saying had Taylor signed with any team other than another AFC East team?

Thought so.

meh.. i don't know how this reads well for the jets either..

he didn't want to come, he hates the jets, but his first choice didn't want him anymore..

In this situation, we're basically the fat chick who does everything in bed that you "Date" when you don't have a better option..

Pretty much how I feel about this whole situation, this just oozes of bad karma. I hope I'm wrong though.

What would you be saying had Taylor signed with any team other than another AFC East team?

Thought so.

The guy is done Kleck. In an uncapped year where we are thin at OLB, we let the the Face of our franchise for the last decade, leave to go to our hated rivals. He's done. Nobody but the jets were offering him a contract. He just tarnished his Dolphin legacy by doing this. Funny thing is we never won **** with him, kind of a good thing he's gone.

The guy is done Kleck. In an uncapped year where we are thin at OLB, we let the the Face of our franchise for the last decade, leave to go to our hated rivals. He's done. Nobody but the jets were offering him a contract. He just tarnished his Dolphin legacy by doing this. Funny thing is we never won **** with him, kind of a good thing he's gone.

This is just sad and completely ignores many facts starting with Parcells and his inherint dislike of Taylor.

LOL I love how you Dolphags now claim he's 'done' 'finished', when he played pretty good for you guys last year and he played out of position. I personally think he's done also, but it's just funny to hear you guys down here now that he's gone. Typical, really, you guys would be still sucking him off if he had resigned, and you know it.

This is just sad and completely ignores many facts starting with Parcells and his inherint dislike of Taylor.

LOL If there was even a sniff of intrest from another team he would be playing for them and not the Jets. Nobody was intrested.

LOL I love how you Dolphags now claim he's 'done' 'finished', when he played pretty good for you guys last year and he played out of position. I personally think he's done also, but it's just funny to hear you guys down here now that he's gone. Typical, really, you guys would be still sucking him off if he had resigned, and you know it.

Only reason i wanted him to be resigned is so i wouldn't have to see one of my favorite players go to the Jets. Nothing more ,nothing less. Was not concerned at all about losing his 6 sacks. I'm sure we'll be drafting an OLB.

LOL If there was even a sniff of intrest from another team he would be playing for them and not the Jets. Nobody was intrested.

Only reason i wanted him to be resigned is so i wouldn't have to see one of my favorite players go to the Jets. Nothing more ,nothing less. Was not concerned at all about losing his 6 sacks. I'm sure we'll be drafting an OLB.

So now we're ingnoring the FACT that the Dolphins moronic coaching staff routinely took a guy whose strength is rushing to passer off the field on 3rd down last year. How many sacks would Taylor have had if the Dolphins coaching staff wasn't incompetent?

I guess 6 QB's just ran smack into him by accident and fell down last year? The guy had 6 sacks and was being misused most of the time. He was playing on the strong side and getting pulled on alot of 3rd downs. He would have been one of the sack leaders on our team with those numbers. I am going to fold Rex to 12 sacks.

So now we're ingnoring the FACT that the Dolphins moronic coaching staff routinely took a guy whose strength is rushing to passer off the field on 3rd down last year. How many sacks would Taylor have had if the Dolphins coaching staff wasn't incompetent?

Guy was a step to late all year last year. I'm actually excited with the fact that Cam Wake will now be able to get even more playing time and grooming a OLB for our future.

just because you draft a player at aposition doesn't mean said player will be an immediate success....or even a success at all, ever. the fact is that, as much as i don't like him, taylor still had a pretty good year for yo guys last year. and he did so even though he was being taken out on 3rd down in passing situations. there is no way to spin this as a plus for the dolphins. we got 2 sacks and 1 FF from the spot taylor will be taking. if we get 7 sacks, 3 FF, and 1 Int there this year it will be a big upgrade to what was already the number 1 defense in the league. and don't forget we upgraded at CB and we got rid of a soft safety. i also wouldn't be surprised if we sign sharper after the final 8 rules are rescinded. we also upgraded our offense.........aon't forget we were in the afc championship game last year. there is no good news in anythign that the jets have done this offseason as far as any of the other afc east teams are concerned. th ebest you guys can hope for is that we have alot of injuries.

just because you draft a player at aposition doesn't mean said player will be an immediate success....or even a success at all, ever. the fact is that, as much as i don't like him, taylor still had a pretty good year for yo guys last year. and he did so even though he was being taken out on 3rd down in passing situations. there is no way to spin this as a plus for the dolphins. we got 2 sacks and 1 FF from the spot taylor will be taking. if we get 7 sacks, 3 FF, and 1 Int there this year it will be a big upgrade to what was already the number 1 defense in the league. and don't forget we upgraded at CB and we got rid of a soft safety. i also wouldn't be surprised if we sign sharper after the final 8 rules are rescinded. we also upgraded our offense.........aon't forget we were in the afc championship game last year. there is no good news in anythign that the jets have done this offseason as far as any of the other afc east teams are concerned. th ebest you guys can hope for is that we have alot of injuries.

LOL you guys are legends in your own mind, i swear. YOu honestly believe your just gonna run through the league this year and on your way to the superbowl sweep out terrible team, right?You get that excuse machine cranked up for week 3 my friend.

Archived