Kiper gives Dolphins worst AFC East grade

Jetscode1

and that's saying something because the Jills draft was awful.

By Tim Graham

Jim Irsay, the late Indianapolis Colts owner, once asked incredulously, "Who the hell is Mel Kiper?"

He's the guy who's grading the draft for ESPN, that's who.

Kiper has handed out his draft grades in a column for ESPN Insider, and if Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross reads this, maybe he will do an Irsay impression.

Kiper wasn't a fan of the Dolphins' draft, rating it ahead of only one other team. He assigns the Dolphins a C-minus. The Jacksonville Jaguars receive the only D.

"This draft for me is really Jared Odrick and the rest," Kiper writes. "Odrick can be a really good player, another active, disruptive tackle in a draft full of them."

Kiper thinks the Dolphins reached on some picks. He believes Utah outside linebacker Koa Misi (second round) will need time to develop, but said Maryland cornerback Nolan Carroll (fifth round) might be a find.

The highest AFC East grade went to the New York Jets with a B. He doesn't rave about any of their picks, but says they were solid, calling Kentucky fullback John Conner (fifth round) the best fullback in the draft.

"Just four picks, but zero misses," Kiper writes.

He gave the New England Patriots a B-minus.

"New England once again took a surgical, long-range approach to the draft, getting some good talent," Kiper writes, "but also positioning themselves for a haul in 2011. You have to factor that into the analysis."

The Buffalo Bills received a C-plus. Kiper is a big fan of ninth overall pick C.J. Spiller but was down on Central Florida nose tackle Torell Troup early in the second round and Arkansas State defensive end Alex Carrington in the third.

"Outside of Spiller," Kiper writes, "it's hard to see where Buffalo got much better."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/13178/kiper-gives-dolphins-worst-afc-east-grade

My opinion is Parcells has never been much of a drafter and mostly builds his teams through free agents and coaching. The guy took Pat White in the second round, no reason to expect him to out draft the Jets.

He has a similar style of drafting to BB... Acquire as many picks as possible (trade down A LOT) and get JAGs with upside, which he can help them reach with good coaching. Same type of philosophy in FA. Dont break the bank with any big names...Find the modestly priced and young JAG's that he can get the most of through coaching... It's worked for him pretty much everywhere he's gone, so obviously not a bad strategy.

My opinion is Parcells has never been much of a drafter and mostly builds his teams through free agents and coaching. The guy took Pat White in the second round, no reason to expect him to out draft the Jets.

Parcells has never won jack as a GM. Very overrated in that capacity. However, reading the local scribes now here in south FL, you would think the fins hit the mother load with their draft picks.

Parcells has never won jack as a GM. Very overrated in that capacity. However, reading the local scribes now here in south FL, you would think the fins hit the mother load with their draft picks.

Its the same everywhere for the most part... Of course the Phins fanbase (?) is one of the most delusional in the NFL, so it is even more exaggerated there...

I'm curious, don't lash out i'm genuinely curious and have been searching the Web for what Mel had to say in 2008 about Gholsten. I mean he's been off on a ton of his selections throughout the years. For example here are just a couple Kiper quotes.

"Give the Lions credit for going away from their biggest needs to take receiver Mike Williams"

"I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction"(commenting on WR Mike Williams)

"That

I'm curious, don't lash out i'm genuinely curious and have been searching the Web for what Mel had to say in 2008 about Gholsten. I mean he's been off on a ton of his selections throughout the years. For example here are just a couple Kiper quotes.

"Give the Lions credit for going away from their biggest needs to take receiver Mike Williams"

"That

Mike Williams quotes are great

but to be honest Kiper is just trying to fill time with blanket compliment here or there

If you think his quote on Williams was good look at what he had to say about Ryan Leaf.

Ryan Leaf's "attitude" (which had rubbed teammates and coaches the wrong way in college) would be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over Peyton Manning

I think the Eagles added the most talent to their team. I don't know if that means they had the best draft because maybe they had a lot of picks to work with. But I think they added the most talent to their team. I know this is an AFCE thread, but I thought I throw my one cent in there on this.

"That

"That

He has a similar style of drafting to BB... Acquire as many picks as possible (trade down A LOT) and get JAGs with upside, which he can help them reach with good coaching. Same type of philosophy in FA. Dont break the bank with any big names...Find the modestly priced and young JAG's that he can get the most of through coaching... It's worked for him pretty much everywhere he's gone, so obviously not a bad strategy.

More likely BB has a similar style to him. He is "Big Bill" after all. I don't agree that BP doesn't break the bank on FAs. He overpaid plenty of JAGs with the Jets. IIRC before he left a bunch of his boys were restructured and we had cap problems for a wilfe.

+1

I never was too fond of his personnel moves, but he knew how to get a team together.

To be fair, a lot of people had the Jets picking Misi in the 2nd and it seemed we'd have been happy.

".

Try to focus :shock: .....We're discussing THIS years draft here Nancy. :P

I thought Kiper was a raging idiot before I read his comments regarding the Jets and fish's 2010 drafts. Now I know he's a super genius.

This made me laugh Thank you.

LandShark wouldn't be searching the web for Kiper's blunders if he graded the fishes a good grade.

Not true. Each year when he gets on his high horse I tend to find different quotes from him specific to different players. I tend to look for his review of a player that's been in the league for a couple years.

Soon as I find his comments on Ted Ginn I

No it wasn't. It was trev alberts.

During ESPN's coverage of 1994 NFL Draft, Kiper criticized the Indianapolis Colts for using their fifth overall pick on linebacker Trev Alberts and not quarterback Trent Dilfer, who Kiper labeled a "franchise quarterback

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Kiper,_Jr.

He may or not have said that about their 5th pick but he absolutely spoke on Faulk and their first pick.

http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/mel-kiper-quotes-notes-1236735/

http://rootzoo.com/polls/view/NFL-Football/NFL-General/Which-Mel-Kiper-Jr-Quote-is-the-most-laughable_234399/

http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?title=Mel_Kiper%2C_Jr.#Proof_of_genius

This made me laugh Thank you.

Not true. Each year when he gets on his high horse I tend to find different quotes from him specific to different players. I tend to look for his review of a player that's been in the league for a couple years.

I'm sure his comments on Ginn were quite negative but then again he didn't have Ginn rated in the top 6 like Gholsten. Feel free to post it though I may just put it in one of my Sigs.

No, that was made in regards to Faulk.

:rl: You know less about Mel than you do football. RSJ is exactly right. That's what prompted Jim Irsays remarks about Mel.

i'm not saying kiper is right or wrong....but if you go over to finheaven and read for a few minutes you'd soon realize that jared odrick is pretty much the best DE in the afc right now, misi is a perrenial pro-bowler, jerry is a beastly road grading mauler who can't be contained and reshad jones is a ball-hawking, lumber-laying beast of a safety who the whole league will fear. matter of fact "the trifecta" as they call them have just hit big time on every player they drafted in 2010. their draft may just be the best draft in the 75 year history of the event and it's really not that close.

Archived