Hughes or Buccholz

JonEJet

Push.

Hughes has more upside and looks like an Ox.

Bucholz is rounding into form and looks to be a keeper.

Should be some interesting battles the next decade. If the Sox do not trad ehim for a bat.

Push.

Hughes has more upside and looks like an Ox.

Bucholz is rounding into form and looks to be a keeper.

Should be some interesting battles the next decade. If the Sox do not trad ehim for a bat.

They kind of handcuffed themselves with the Beltre signing. That pretty much takes Adrien Gonzales out of the mix, unless you want to move Youks to the outfield. But when Cameron and Ellsbury come back, you'll have Drew and his huge salary on the bench

HAHAHA

You Boston Pukes crack me up

Philthy Phil 4-0 with a 1.68 ERA

We're talking ace here boys, ACE!!!

The Yankees organization had so much faith in Phil that he was converted into a reliever last year and picked up Burnett and Sabathia. Phil has been very good in this little over a month of action and before last night Buchholz had been just as good. Difference is Hughes has a very potent offense that opposing pitchers have to deal with. Also, Hughes' starting track record before this season was not very good. Buchholz was never converted to a reliever and has pitched well as a starter before this season. It'll be interesting to see it play out over the next few years, but as of right now it's a push. One month isn't going to change that.

HAHAHA

You Boston Pukes crack me up

Philthy Phil 4-0 with a 1.68 ERA

We're talking ace here boys, ACE!!!

so one ace-like month and he's annointed already? and this after years of being non-ace like. why don't you wait till he does it for a year or more before you start with this.

so one ace-like month and he's annointed already? and this after years of being non-ace like. why don't you wait till he does it for a year or more before you start with this.

Some Yankee fans had Hughes in the HOF before he even threw a pitch in the Major Leagues.

They kind of handcuffed themselves with the Beltre signing. That pretty much takes Adrien Gonzales out of the mix, unless you want to move Youks to the outfield. But when Cameron and Ellsbury come back, you'll have Drew and his huge salary on the bench

As a Yankee fan I would love to see Youk back in the outfield.

The Yankees organization had so much faith in Phil that he was converted into a reliever last year and picked up Burnett and Sabathia. Phil has been very good in this little over a month of action and before last night Buchholz had been just as good. Difference is Hughes has a very potent offense that opposing pitchers have to deal with. Also, Hughes' starting track record before this season was not very good. Buchholz was never converted to a reliever and has pitched well as a starter before this season. It'll be interesting to see it play out over the next few years, but as of right now it's a push. One month isn't going to change that.

LOL, They had no faith in him?

Hughes was one of the most important pitchers as a 23 year old on a staff that won the World Series.

I hate that he got set back like that.

Phil Hughes crushing opponents with an ERA of 1.68 and our potent offense are mutually exclusive.

Nice fantasy baseball story, but the Yanks were all set to send Hughes down last year and it was him that asked to go to the bullpen so he could stay with the team.

Far from a conversion, but why start letting the facts get in the way of your spin now.

LOL, They had no faith in him?

Hughes was one of the most important pitchers as a 23 year old on a staff that won the World Series.

I hate that he got set back like that.

Yeah me too! :rl:

Considering you're the only one in here that doesn't have a slanted view on this I'll take it.

Meh. All Sox fans are going to say Buchholz, all Yanks fans are gonna say Hughes. I'd say each teams fans would agree that it's nice that both guys have straightened things out to where we can have this conversation.

With that said...as a Sox fan, I too am going to slightly say Buchholz...but I'd be foolish if I didn't think a neutral observer (such as neckdemon) would say Hughes right now.

Again, as I said...all of us can be happy that these guys have gotten some of their issues ironed down and we can even talk about this.

Beltre is not playing great defense though...that could be an excuse to bench him

Always a great debate and it always boils down to what do you prefer in your young pitchers; dominant raw stuff and less polish or plus raw stuff, while being more polished. It's mainly the reasons Phil was a more highly touted prospect, he is much more polished and has a significantly better frame for a long career. 6'5 240 for hughes, compared to 6'2 190 for Clay.

As a lifetime yankee fan, I have no problem admitting that Clay probably has better raw stuff. He throws a heavy mid 90's fb and a very heavy slider; both, I believe rank in the top 5-10 avg. velocity in the bigs. Phil has 3 plus pitches along with the extra 2-3 mph that "he found" this year, so it's not like dwarfed when it comes to raw stuff.

Bottom line, both are great young pitchers with a lot of promise and you can't go wrong with either, but they both have a lot to prove. Neither has thrown 190+ innings on the major league level. Yes, I know they both have combine for 200+ in a season with mlb and minors combined, but they need to prove it on this level.

The reasons I'll take Hughes: He's 2 years younger with a much better frame and has Clay beaten in every statistical pitching category for their career.

I personally believe Hughes will end up with the better season, but there's just no possible way he can continue on the pace that he's currently on. He has a BABIP of .189, which is virtually impossible to maintain, whereas Clay's is a little higher than the average around .320 or so. Both pitchers will trend towards the norm and have good to very good seasons.

Clay probably has better raw stuff. He throws a heavy mid 90's fb and a very heavy slider; both, I believe rank in the top 5-10 avg. velocity in the bigs
Don't forget his high 70's-low 80's curve. He's gone to the slider more lately, but the curve was his out pitch before it. He's a four pitch pitcher, and all 4 of them are plus pitches.

1.38 ERA, That's insane.

I know his BABIP suggest that he's getting lucky and will eventually regress towards his career norms, but every time I watch him pitch, I think that there's no reason he can't keep it up. He's been pounding the strike zone, not allowing solid contact to really anybody, it's just been extremely impressive. He's becoming everything we hoped he would; here's to hoping he can keep it up :cheers:

I personally believe Hughes will end up with the better season, but there's just no possible way he can continue on the pace that he's currently on. He has a BABIP of .189, which is virtually impossible to maintain, whereas Clay's is a little higher than the average around .320 or so. Both pitchers will trend towards the norm and have good to very good seasons.

Advanced metrics and basic logic have no place in circle jerk threads. Damn you!

Archived