Mangold looking for early payday...

Mathis81

Had to know this was coming. We have a number of veterans that are set to expire next year (a list that doesn't even include Ferguson or Revis). I know there are drawbacks with the collective bargaining, but we can't go into next offseason with this many key people entering free agency (especially if the CBA goes back to the 4 year rule).

Mangold is at the top of the list of people we need to re-sign. I am hopeful that at minimum, he is locked up soon.

Had to know this was coming. We have a number of veterans that are set to expire next year (a list that doesn't even include Ferguson or Revis). I know there are drawbacks with the collective bargaining, but we can't go into next offseason with this many key people entering free agency (especially if the CBA goes back to the 4 year rule).

Mangold is at the top of the list of people we need to re-sign. I am hopeful that at minimum, he is locked up soon.

Whats the deal with front loading contracts? Whats stop teams from paying players most of their money this uncapped year?

I know nothing about contracts...

Whats the deal with front loading contracts? Whats stop teams from paying players most of their money this uncapped year?

I know nothing about contracts...

Two rules seem to be holding the negotiations back (not just with Mangold, but a number of players):

1) 50% rule: In order to prevent teams from front loading contracts in the uncapped year, the rules prohibit giving a player a contract that would result in a base salary decrease of more than 50% for the next year. In essesnce, a player could receive a contract where the base salaries looked like 10 million 2010, 5 million 2011. But he couldn't receive a contract that showed 15 million 2010, 5 million 2011.

2) 30% rule: This is the really tricky part. A player cannot receive a contract whose base salary exceeds a 30% raise. I believe this includes not only what the contract would be based on an extension, but also what his salary was originally supposed to be. I think Mangold's salary is $3.3 million this year, so he would not be able to receive a contract where the 2010 base salary exceeds $4.29 million. And in the case of David Harris, its worse since his base salary is so low.

Believe you can't reduce a contract by more then 50% moving into next year. Might find some help there as clever as Tannenbaum is.

The real problem is that the owners are demanding an 18% reduction in the amount of money allocated to the players. They hold all the cards. There will be a major reduction in the cap. How much is unknown.

Any contracts given out this year can not be based on previous contracts. It

Believe you can't reduce a contract by more then 50% moving into next year. Might find some help there as clever as Tannenbaum is.

The real problem is that the owners are demanding an 18% reduction in the amount of money allocated to the players. They hold all the cards. There will be a major reduction in the cap. How much is unknown.

Any contracts given out this year can not be based on previous contracts. It

Kind of ironic that Tannenbaum has gotten a ton of credit for the player personnel moves and yet his forte (salary cap) is now on the front burner. Can only hope he is as good as his reputation. Really nothing he can do until after a new CBA but we really need to keep the core together for a long term run.

I'd add Revis too. He can't easily be replaced.

And unfortunately for the Jets, the timing couldn't be much worse. We're talking about a number of players whose contracts expire next offseason. And as said earlier, this doesn't even include Ferguson and Revis who we will eventually need to lock up as well.

It's Tanny's fault for drafting top notch players in the last few years. ;)

I hate to say it, but I think David Harris might be the odd man out. Darrelle Revis, Mangold, and Ferguson are going to want big money. Harris, I love the guy, but I think we would have way to much money invested in the LB position. I seriously hope he stays, but to be honest, I can't picture Harris being that guy who asks for a lot of money.

Kind of ironic that Tannenbaum has gotten a ton of credit for the player personnel moves and yet his forte (salary cap) is now on the front burner. Can only hope he is as good as his reputation. Really nothing he can do until after a new CBA but we really need to keep the core together for a long term run.

I don't think Tannenbaum should get alot of credit for the drafting of players and FA signings. I believe Rex and the scouts provide the most input and let Tannenbaum do the negotiating of salary

I don't think Tannenbaum should get alot of credit for the drafting of players and FA signings. I believe Rex and the scouts provide the most input and let Tannenbaum do the negotiating of salary

The scouts maybe, but Rex? Rex has only been with the team for 3 draft picks that have seen an NFL field. Sanchez, Greene and Slauson is a nice haul for 3 players, but that is hardly the bulk of production that got us to the Conference championship game.

Under the circumstances Revis probably won’t be done anytime soon. He is under contract for three more years, 4 million this year, 5 million next, then it jumps to 12-15 million.

D’Brick will probably be the first contract redone to create space for other people. His cap hit in 2011 is 12 million. If that is redone it will open up some money for the other guys.

I agree if they can’t sign them all the odd man out will probably be Harris. Some other likely cuts moving forward in 2011 to save money might be. Scott +2 million, Jenkins +4.5million, Woody +3.2, and Bryan Thomas +3.7.

Tannenbaum will find a way. Just look at this offseason. With the final 4 rules I thought for sure the Jets would have to ride it out with the same roster. Sure didn’t happen.

A lot of the moves the Jets are making now are preparations for the new reduced CBA

As much as most Jets fans hate him, a lot of the credit for the drafting and FA signing has to go to Bradway and Joey Clinkscale.

Rex has almost no hand in Scouting. He tells Bradway and Clinkscale what he needs, and they go find them

I hate to say it, but I think David Harris might be the odd man out. Darrelle Revis, Mangold, and Ferguson are going to want big money. Harris, I love the guy, but I think we would have way to much money invested in the LB position. I seriously hope he stays, but to be honest, I can't picture Harris being that guy who asks for a lot of money.

Am I crazy for thinking we can hold onto ALL of these key guys? So many of the moves that Tannenbaum have made the last couple seasons have been to prepare for this including getting rid of Jones, Leon and Faneca this offseason to save money.

I don't think Revis, Mangold, Harris, or Ferguson will be let go. Guys who we WON'T give longterm deals to would probably include Braylon Edwards and Antonio Cromartie. Meanwhile, guys like Vernon Gholston, Shaun Ellis, Tomlinson and Calvin Pace will soon be coming off the books.

This is what Tannenbaum is good at, people. Breathe.

Archived