Rex Ryan gets a two year extention [MERGED]

GodWearsAGrayHoodie

Jets have extended Rex Ryan's contract by 2 years. Lets see....Start of the 2nd year of a 4 year deal and the Jets sign a two year extention. Revis's case just got a lot stronger.

What does Rex' contract have to do with Revis?

Jets just extended Rex Ryan's contract until the 2014 season. Mike Tannenbaum also got an extension. Can Revis be next?

I feel kind of iffy with this. I like the Tannenbaum extension. But I'm a little confused with Ryan's. He's been here 1 season, I don't want him getting comfortable I would have waited until at least another successful season.

Why? He's not gonna pull a Mangini. I think this was hands down one of the best signings for this team in quite a long time.

Maybe....It is not inconceivable that 2009 will be his best year as a head coach. Its not like you can count on having the the last two games of the season be must wins and have both teams decide to lose on purpose.

Maybe....It is not inconceivable that 2009 will be his best year as a head coach. Its not like you can count on having the the last two games of the season be must wins and have both teams decide to lose on purpose.

And then we went on the road and beat one of those teams and beat another team that came off a 10 game winning streak and everyone had them going to the Superbowl with their star studded roster.

The fact of the matter is we still made it into the playoffs, beat two very strong teams, and were 30 minutes from Superbowl.

They should have held off on both extensions. Unless they get all pending player deals done, which will not happen, this sends the wrong message. Why give players who are in negotiations another reason to stew?

Maybe it save's more money for the Jet's this season for new rookies and players needing new deals (Mangold, Revis, Harris) etc.

GodWearsAGrayHoodie is a closet Jets fan.

The reason I don't agree with the extension is because Rex has only been here one year....it was a great last year no doubt, but I would've waited to see what he can do with this team and the high expectations. Also we have players wanting new contracts....just another thing to b!tch about I guess.

GodWearsAGrayHoodie is a closet Jets fan.

The reason I don't agree with the extension is because Rex has only been here one year....it was a great last year no doubt, but I would've waited to see what he can do with this team and the high expectations. Also we have players wanting new contracts....just another thing to b!tch about I guess.

Well what about this angle:

I always thought when certain players are close to the end of their deals, theirs a lot more guaranteed money towards the end which is why a lot of times a team will resign said player with a new contract so that it takes away that guaranteed money at the end and just gives them more later on.

Which in hand clears up more space with that guaranteed money to help distribute it to other players. Can anyone help me with that? Sperm Edwards?

I always thought when certain players are close to the end of their deals, theirs a lot more guaranteed money towards the end which is why a lot of times a team will resign said player with a new contract so that it takes away that guaranteed money at the end and just gives them more later on.

Which in hand clears up more space with that guaranteed money to help distribute it to other players. Can anyone help me with that? Sperm Edwards?

So your saying that extending Rex would allow more money to give to the players that are up for contracts/negotiations?

I was a Jets fan for exactly one week of my life. It was miserable experience that ended in a crushing loss to the Dolphins.

You should be use to it....Phins seem to have the cheaters number @ times.

Front office knew this team and fanbase needed a culture change. Rex did just that. Jets along with their shiny new Green stadium are quickly gaining ground on the giants in this town.

I know it sounds crazy, but I think the jets can over take the Gmen as far as value goes in the next 10 years. There no to far behind as it is.

And superbowls have very little to do with this. Jets have owned the backpage everyday since superbowl 42...

If Rex fails the contract doesn't save him (same for Mike). It's a gesture to show that the organization is happy with him and wants him around as long as he succeeds. What's wrong with that? This is completely unrelated to what's going on with player negotiations, despite what it looks like to us laymen.

Just the opposite. If you guarantee the last year of a deal, you've guaranteed the entire deal (unless there's some less-common clause that says if you're still on the team after year 3 then the 4th is guaranteed but not if you get let go before then).

What you're thinking of is a final year balloon-payment. Thomas Jones is a good example, but pretend he was 5 years younger (and pretend there's still a salary cap). The last year of his deal - in round numbers - he was due to make $6M in salary and would have had a $7M cap number. Year after that he's not under contract anymore. Let's say the Jets need a few million of cap space. They'll do one of the following:

1) Do nothing. You have him play out the year and then address his contract in the off-season. The risk, if you still want him the following year or longer, is that after the season is over there is no longer an injury possibility for him and he risks nothing by waiting until March for free agency to begin.

2) Cut him outright and take the $1M dead-cap space hit. This move saves $6M on the cap, but then you don't have the player anymore.

3) Redo his contract where he gets the same, higher, or - if you were going to cut him anyway - maybe even a little less as up-front or newly-guaranteed money. The Jets did try to do this with Jones. They said they wanted him to take a paycut but then they definitely wouldn't have cut him. Jones said that since the season was over and his injury risk was over as well, that he'd rather test the free agent waters.

McNair (RIP) was another good example, though it's an extreme one at that. His last contract with the Titans called for something like $50M - NOT guaranteed (unless he was on the roster in September, presumably). So the Titans had a choice of cutting him loose (and taking an 8-figure accelerated cap hit for bonus money he'd already received previously), redoing his contract that would have likely given him even more bonus money (though far less than $50M), or letting him enter the last year of his deal (which means they'd have to cut every good-or-better player from the team and replace them with league-minimum players to fit under the salary cap with McNair's $50M.

None of this really has anything to do with Ryan. Coaches typically get the same or nearly the same money every year. If Ryan was initially given a 4 year $16M contract, it's a safe bet that it was 4 equivalent years at $4M apiece. There's no incentive to play around with the numbers from year to year because there's no salary cap and - unlike with players - his contract is fully guaranteed anyway. If the Jets fire him, they still have to pay him (unless he gets another job elsewhere which typically lets the original team off the hook).

Congratulations, that may officially be the dumbest thing ever posted on this board. Teams decide to lose on purpose? Seriously? I hope to God you aren't allowed near sharp objects, because you'd be a hazard to both yourself and others.

Both teams played their starters at the beginning of the game, and certainly tried to win. I can see the argument that the Colts probably would've won given the turnout of the AFC Championship, but the fact is that with both team's starters in, the game was competitive and going back and forth, and nothing definitive can be said about what the outcome would have been otherwise. Anyone who tries to pull this argument off with the Bengals game is just an idiot. Sorry, but there's just no other way to put it. The Bengals had their starters in, and made it perfectly clear that their were intentions to win that game (Marvin Lewis made a point to say it repeatedly prior to the game). You know what happened? The Jets completely blew them out. The game was long since over by the time the Bengals pulled their starters in the third quarter. In case there was still any doubt, less than a week later the Jets did it again, this time on the road, in the playoffs.

I know this was merely a pathetic attempt at trolling, but I just can't believe how completely devoid of intelligent thought this statement was.

Archived