Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

Here is the contradiction. you're the employer. you have an employee that has 3 years remaining on his contract. your management team and his direct supervisor keep telling him hes the greatest defensive player in the history of football. wouldnt you expect him to extend his hand and ask for more money? I would.

Of course. Revis is 100% correct in holding out imo.

It's a business. A dangerous one...who am I to bitch about a guy trying to take care of himself in the long run? The only thing that sucks is that the Jets need him to win...I hope he's on the field week 1.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis is being a fool.

The only person he is hurting is himself. He just lost all his guarantees on the remaining 3 yrs of his deal.

Now we have to see what he does August 10. If he holds out until then then he lost a yr of FA.

It's a business. A dangerous one...who am I to bitch about a guy trying to take care of himself in the long run? The only thing that sucks is that the Jets need him to win...I hope he's on the field week 1.

but wrong about this one.putting too much emphasis on one player.the jets may not be as good without revis,but they are going to be good,regardless

I agree, but what I'm saying is that the Jets have done an absolute awful job of handling this. and I think some of the blame has to go to Rex. he is actually fueling the discontent about money by going overboard with his praise of players publicly. ''Revis has been a good player for us''<---thats what he should have said if he was smart. not ''hes the greatest defensive player in the history of football'' common sense

Has Revis ever said that? And who really knows what the Jets have offered him.

Yes, he did.

He said he wanted to make more than $16 million which Aso is making this year. Revis ignores that Aso got less than that the year before.

but wrong about this one.putting too much emphasis on one player.the jets may not be as good without revis,but they are going to be good,regardless

Without Revis, the Jets wont be considered a contender. He's the best player..by miles.

I agree, but what I'm saying is that the Jets have done an absolute awful job of handling this. and I think some of the blame has to go to Rex. he is actually fueling the discontent about money by going overboard with his praise of players publicly. ''Revis has been a good player for us''<---thats what he should have said if he was smart. not ''hes the greatest defensive player in the history of football'' common sense

i think revis knows hes the best.i dont think he needs rex's comments to confirm it.or anybody's for that matter

Either Rex thought the Jets were going to 100% going to lock Revis up long term or he put his foot completely in his mouth.

You can't say that type of stuff then not pay the man.

I cant imagine he's happy that the organization hasnt extended his best player though.

Revis is being a fool.

The only person he is hurting is himself. He just lost all his guarantees on the remaining 3 yrs of his deal.

Now we have to see what he does August 10. If he holds out until then then he lost a yr of FA.

All of this is true, except for the Revis being a fool and hurting himself parts.

He's gonna make more money over the next three years than his current deal calls for. Watch.

All of this is true, except for the Revis being a fool and hurting himself parts.

He's gonna make more money over the next three years than his current deal calls for. Watch.

Yep. Revis has all the leverage in this. He knows someone will pay him top dollar for the positon, because he is.

Without Revis, the Jets wont be considered a contender. He's the best player..by miles.

totally disagree.he is the jets best player,but not by "miles".mangold,brick,harris are elite players.i could add another 10 players who are very,very good and are essential too the jets success.are they better than revis?no.are they miles behind?i dont think so

How, without an extension?

Plus, the Jets are looking to go the DBrick route and doing an extension on the back end NOT replacing the 3 yrs he has left.

Regardless, Revis actually hurts his negotiation position by holding out because he puts himself in a worse position financially by doing so.

Yep. Revis has all the leverage in this. He knows someone will pay him top dollar for the positon, because he is.

Who is going to "pay him"?

He is the Jets property for the next 3 yrs. If he holds out past August 10 he is the Jets property for the next 4 yrs.

How, without an extension?

Plus, the Jets are looking to go the DBrick route and doing an extension on the back end NOT replacing the 3 yrs he has left.

Regardless, Revis actually hurts his negotiation position by holding out because he puts himself in a worse position financially by doing so.

D'Brick signed a bad contract. Revis isn't doing that.

He's scheduled to make $21M over the next three years, and he's worth twice that.

He'll make the money in the form of a fat signing bonus on top of the one + two years left, and they'll tack on a couple years at the end for good measure.

You spoke to him?

Because there are conflicting reports. Some say he'd be good with $10M a year, as long as there are some guarantees. Just let it play out.

There are conflicting reports but all statements from Revis himself say he will only accept making more money than Aso.

totally disagree.he is the jets best player,but not by "miles".mangold,brick,harris are elite players.i could add another 10 players who are very,very good and are essential too the jets success.are they better than revis?no.are they miles behind?i dont think so

Revis shuts down a side of the field by himself, taking away the opponents #1 option at WR. Now Jets fans want to undderrate that capablity because they're upset a guy wants to get paid.

You guys gotta stop watching sports like these players need to be loyal or owe you anything...everyone looks out for themselves in this world, especially when it comes to money.

wow.revis has zero,ZERO LEVERAGE.he will not make a dime more over the next 3 seasons,unless the jets say so.period.end of discussion.he holds out this year.he doesnt make a dime this year.next year?the jets own his tail,again.the year after that?same thing.revis cannot make a move that benefits him over the next 3 years unless the jets say so

wow.revis has zero,ZERO LEVERAGE.he will not make a dime more over the next 3 seasons,unless the jets say so.period.end of discussion.he holds out this year.he doesnt make a dime this year.next year?the jets own his tail,again.the year after that?same thing.revis cannot make a move that benefits him over the next 3 years unless the jets say so

Then he'll be traded to a team that will pay him. I dont think it fazes Revis having to sit this season out, knowing next year the Jets trade him to a team that will give him #1 corner money, which he deserves.

He's making a smart decision for his career. The guy is one of the best players in the league and he's protecting himself. The league is taking the Washington situation as it could have easily happened to them. I dont see how people can blame a guy for that.

D'Brick signed a bad contract. Revis isn't doing that.

No, he didn't, Slats.

He signed the same contract that Willis and Elvis did. Read up on it and don't take Florio's spin nonsense.

The only difference between the 3 is that Willis took an injury guarantee, DBrick took a skill guarantee, and Elvis split it up.

Revis wants to sign a contract that isn't possible under the rules (getting fully guarantee for skill and injury) or financially viable for the Jets (get huge money upfront which no team is giving out).

And seriously, what's the likelihood of that?

Roughly absolute zero, I imagine.

If the Jets can't come to terms with him, they'll trade him to someone who will before his trade value starts to decline.

Only if the Jets bow down.

If they decide to they don't want this to keep happening them, and use Revis as a example to put an end to this, then Revis is ****ed!

Then he'll be traded to a team that will pay him.

Why would the Jets trade him? It's actually a perfect situation for the Jets to keep him. A top talent for cheep money.

Remember, teams trade players who they believe they are going to lose anyway in a yr because of FA. It's the notion of "get something now because we won't get something later for him."

Jets have 3 yrs left on his deal. Top players with 3 yrs on their deals don't get dealt.

Revis shuts down a side of the field by himself, taking away the opponents #1 option at WR. Now Jets fans want to undderrate that capablity because they're upset a guy wants to get paid.

You guys gotta stop watching sports like these players need to be loyal or owe you anything...everyone looks out for themselves in this world, especially when it comes to money.

i understand the whole loyalty thing.i jst dont think he is "miles" more important to this teams success as the 3 guys i pointed out.also,i dont watch sports thinking there guys owe me anything.this is a team sport.the jets will be as good with out revis as they would with revis and without any of the 3 i mentioned.maybe not to the extent,but not "miles"behind

Only if the Jets bow down.

If they decide to they don't want this to keep happening them, and use Revis as a example to put an end to this, then Revis is ****ed!

How is he ****ed? If the Jets dont plan on paying him then they'd be stupid not to trade him and get some picks.

And seriously, what's the likelihood of that?

Roughly absolute zero, I imagine.

If the Jets can't come to terms with him, they'll trade him to someone who will before his trade value starts to decline.

Not a chance in hell.

People act like Revis is a FA next year. No, he isn't. He has 3 yrs left. Revis' "trade value" does not equal his worth to the Jets because he is young, cheap talent.

It would actually be 4, because if he holds out past Aug 10th, another year gets tacked on.

Why would the Jets trade him? It's actually a perfect situation for the Jets to keep him. A top talent for cheep money.

Remember, teams trade players who they believe they are going to lose anyway in a yr because of FA. It's the notion of "get something now because we won't get something later for him."

Jets have 3 yrs left on his deal. Top players with 3 yrs on their deals don't get dealt.

What value does Revis have to the Jets if he's not playing? He's made it clear he's not going to play under this current contract. If the Jets dont plan on paying him then they'd be insane to not trade him ASAP.

How is he ****ed? If the Jets dont plan on paying him then they'd be stupid not to trade him and get some picks.

Trading him for picks would actually be the stupid thing to do.

The Jets would actually be paying for for less talent if they trade him.

In other words, the Jets get ZERO 2010 value in trading Revis since they won't get anything to help them now. Then the picks will be paid close to what Revis would have made for the Jets but there is no guarantee any of those players would be an All-Pro caliber player.

What value does Revis have to the Jets if he's not playing? He's made it clear he's not going to play under this current contract. If the Jets dont plan on paying him then they'd be insane to not trade him ASAP.

^ This!

Archived