Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look who started this thread.

You can bet your asses that fans of rival teams love the hate coming from the fans towards Revis. Fans of the fish and Pats would love nothing more than for Revis to feel so alienated that he refuses to return to the team.

True but how do you explain the fact that the Jets had the #1 pass defense last year with outside of Revis the talents of Lito Sheppard, Donald Strickland, Lowery, Coleman etc. Pretty much all Jags.

Because Revis is that awesome. That's the point.

Revis cant cover the whole field. And now we've replaced Shep and Strick with Cro and Wilson.

Cromartie and Wilson were brought in to replace them though, not Revis. It's insane to think they'll be able to do so without a blink. Just insane. One is rebounding from a complete collapse which culminated in being a key part in watching the New York Jets waltz into the AFC Championship, and the other's a rookie. Making up for the best defensive player in the league they will not.

I think Rex's blitzing makes CB's look better because he pressures QB's to make quick decisions.

Right, but when those QB's are Peyton or Brady (or even Matt Ryan as we saw), you're ****ed if your corners are struggling in press coverage. I'm not ready to let the best guy in the league in doing so go on hope.

You can bet your asses that fans of rival teams love the hate coming from the fans towards Revis. Fans of the fish and Pats would love nothing more than for Revis to feel so alienated that he refuses to return to the team.

That's because people are being stupid. My respect for a lot of members on this board has really gone down today with all of this hatred towards a player that, despite what people may think, we know absolutely nothing about what's going on in the negotiations except what the team has been saying to the media.

I voted keep him because after all this blows over and he comes to camp because he can't really afford to hold out you all will be washing his balls with your mouths.

Seriously, can Max remove and replace people as fast as you guys wish it? I guess when Jenkins gets hurt (no way he makes it all the way through the season) I guess we should put Devito up there?

The hate is for how Mevis is handling this, and who gives two sh*ts about phag and patsy fans?

That's because people are being stupid. My respect for a lot of members on this board has really gone down today with all of this hatred towards a player that, despite what people may think, we know absolutely nothing about what's going on in the negotiations except what the team has been saying to the media.

Fans don't hate Revis...just show up in camp and honor your contract like Mangold and Harris are doing. I think most fans have bought into the "team" concept rather than the MEvis cry of..."I want to be the highest paid CB in the leauge"...that just reeks of selfishness.

You can bet your a$$ that fans of rival teams love the hate spewing from you towards (other?)Jets fans.

This.

As a fan of a division rival team, you can bet your a$$ I enjoy seeing the Jets stuck in a situation where training camp is disturbed and the team is stuck in a situation where they will likily either be without their best player for last year or wind up grossly over paying said player.

However, as a fan of the NFL, I side with the Jets TEAM on this one, and I hate players like Revis, Craptree, JaMarcus Russell who whine about making more money in their signing bonus then many of the people who pay their salaries (the season ticket holders) will make in a decade or even lifetime.

These guys are making millions of dollars to play the same game, my sister PAYS hundreds of dollars so my newphew can play, b/c he considers playing football FUN. Go head down to local peewee field and ask the kids, "if you could make the same money playing football in the NFL as working as a clerk in McDonalds which would you do." Bet 99% tell you they would play in the NFL for free, playing in the NFL would be awesome, I love playing football. Well, what happened between then and now that makes them only willing to play football for $15 million dollars a year instead of $6 million a year?

I requested the thread to be started by someone. I couldnt figure out how to start it and attach a poll.

Are you people all the same people that wanted him to be DPOY?

I'm pissed too, but he's only held-out 1 day now. I'm pissed, with a season with so much expectations this definitely hurts more. Lets see how it plays out, a little more then 24 hours at least. lol

He was only an official holdout at 5:00 yesterday when his agent announced it, he had until 5:30 to report.

Revis is doing the smart thing for himself, his family, and his future. I cannot understand how anyone can fault the man. The Jets should do the smart thing for the franchise and pay him.

While I agree with you.

I also can empathize with the point of view being expressed through anger by the average Jets fan... you know, the same Jets fans that have been fending off ulcers due to crushed hopes since 1969. In my lifetime, I have never seen expectations as high as they are right now for this team... and I am not surprised at the over-reaction of fans to a routine exercise by an under-compensated player. Holdouts happen all the time... but the paranoid, sky is falling Jets fan can't swallow that pill if there is a whiff of "it will jeopardize our shot at the SuperBowl" in the air.

Besides... what is a Jets fan without over-reactions?

hdr_print.gif

Darrelle Revis' camp holdout with N.Y. Jets looks similar to that of uncle Sean Gilbert and Redskins

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, August 4th 2010, 4:00 AM

CORTLAND - Time was running out, but Charley Casserly never believed in his heart that Sean Gilbert would do the unthinkable.

Gilbert, the talented Redskins defensive tackle, wanted to get paid. Casserly wanted to pay him, but the start of the season was fast approaching with no deal in sight.

They never came to an agreement and Gilbert sat out the entire 1997 season.

Thirteen years later, Darrelle Revis' training-camp holdout looks similar to the one his uncle staged. Gilbert, one of the major influences in Revis' life, eventually was traded to the Panthers in 1998 for two first-round picks and signed a seven-year, $46.5 million deal.

"If you're good enough and you sit out, you're still going to make a lot of money the next year," said Casserly, thenWashington's general manager. "I think that's where (Revis') mindset is: What am I risking? One million dollars? I'm still going to be paid."

Casserly admitted the team "couldn't rationalize paying" Gilbert what he wanted and slapped the franchise tag on him. Subsequent negotiations stalled as well.

"We had an open line of communication the whole time," Casserly said. "But sometimes there wasn't a lot to talk about."

The Jets hope to avoid going down that path.

Several hours after owner Woody Johnson expressed his desire for a "meeting of the minds," general manager Mike Tannenbaum called Revis' agent, Neil Schwartz, on Monday night. Although Revis' camp said they wanted to keep the discussions "confidential," it appears both sides are actively working toward a solution.

Casserly, more than anyone, knows not to take anything for granted.

"At this point (in 1997), I'm figuring the guy's coming in," Casserly said. "I never thought the guy would not show up. The negotiations kept dragging on. We were stuck on our position and they were stuck on their position for a long time."

"In Sean Gilbert's case," he added, "he actually made more money by holding out for the season."

Gilbert's prominent role in Revis' life is undeniable. On the third day of the All-Pro cornerback's holdout, Rex Ryaneven admitted that he was "sure" that Gilbert has advised Revis throughout this process.

"This is a real close-knit family," Schwartz told the Daily News. "Sean has helped and nurtured Darrelle's football talents."

Revis has rejected two offers from the Jets due to a disagreement on the "total compensation" of the contract, Tannenbaum and Johnson said. Although the team expressed a willingness to be flexible in guaranteed money, sources say the Jets didn't offer a significant amount of fully guaranteed money in either proposal.

At this point, it's impossible to rule out a protracted holdout.

"I never thought (Gilbert) would sit out the season when we're sitting there in training camp," Casserly said. "Even in the beginning of the season, we thought at some point we'd get this thing settled. But then we realized that he wasn't coming in."

The Jets' Super Bowl hopes would certainly take a hit without the cornerback. Revis, who is scheduled to earn $1 million this season, is out of sight, but certainly not out of mind.

"We're going to mention him," Ryan said. "But we are going to go on without him. ... When we're talking about our goals, when we're talking about how to defend people, of course we mention Darrelle. He's part of our team. He's just not here."

And there's no telling when he will be.

Why is that a problem? Tannenbaum isn't hiding that he said as much.

In the a world where your career could be over in 3 seconds, or in business when someone wants to purchase something? Do you wait till tomorrow or do you casually get that pen out right there an then.

"If you're good enough and you sit out, you're still going to make a lot of money the next year," said Casserly, thenWashington's general manager. "I think that's where (Revis') mindset is: What am I risking? One million dollars? I'm still going to be paid."

What Charlie is neglecting to add here is that the real risk for Revis is to play for that [sic] $1M, suffer a career altering injury, and never sniff at the 10's of millions he's worth today.

"In Sean Gilbert's case," he added, "he actually made more money by holding out for the season."

And here's the other problem the Jets are facing - holding out for the whole season works.

And here's the other problem Gilbert and Revis are facing - Revis isn't a free agent after this season.

The 'skins held Gilbert's rights and traded him before the following year's draft to a team willing to pay him. He didn't cash in as a FA.

The Jets would be crazy to let this drag on for the whole season, they definitely won't let it drag on into another one.

Come on Woody get this done

Jets hope owner can talk Revis into camp

CORTLAND — The call came late Monday night, and it might be the most important telephone call the Jets make this season.

The Post has learned that Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, on team owner Woody Johnson’s recommendation, reached out to Darrelle Revis’ representatives to offer up Johnson to the disgruntled cornerback in an effort to solve their contract dispute.

Johnson told reporters earlier he was willing to speak to Revis and his representatives if it would help move along the negotiations between the two sides.

Johnson’s overture was met with open arms by Revis’ representatives.

“He’s the owner of the New York Jets,” Neil Schwartz, one of Revis’ agents, told The Post. “We would meet with Woody Johnson any time and any place. We have a lot of respect for Mr. Johnson.”

Though there’s no timetable, the meeting could become a reality and might begin a thaw between the two sides, which are not close to reaching a solution. One highly placed NFL source told The Post yesterday that the sides are “miles apart” and it likely will be weeks before anything is resolved.

Both sides are so entrenched that the possibility of Revis not playing at all this year cannot be ruled out, though most of his teammates believe it’ll be resolved before the season.

Revis, who’s scheduled to make $1 million in 2010 and is seeking either a long-term extension with fully guaranteed money or a short-term solution for this season that’ll bring him up to what he believes is market value at his position (around $10 million), held out of training camp for the third consecutive day yesterday and is subject to about $16,500 in fines for every day he misses.

With Tannenbaum reaching out to Revis’ representatives and offering Johnson as help, the next move in this chess game will come from the Revis side.

The primary sticking points between the sides continues to be fully guaranteed money and the total value of the contract. The Jets believe they’ve offered fair value to Revis, but according to Revis’ camp that doesn’t involve fully-guaranteed up-front signing bonus money, which is what they want.

It’s believed that the Jets have offered significant guarantees against injury, assuring Revis that if he suffered a catastrophic injury he would be paid.

Revis’ side isn’t comfortable with that because they believe there’s too much gray area and they want fully guaranteed money, which would have to come in the form of a signing bonus.

A fascinating subplot to this issue is Revis’ uncle, Sean Gilbert, a former NFL defensive lineman who is one of Revis’ closest confidants. Though Gilbert has not commented publicly about the issue, it’s believed that Revis has relied heavily on his advice.

Gilbert held out for the entire 1997 season over a contract dispute with the Redskins, a move that eventually got him traded to the Panthers, who gave him a $46.5 million contract over seven years.

Coach Rex Ryan acknowledged Gilbert’s influence.

“I’m sure it is happening. I know Darrelle is close with Sean,” Ryan said. “It’s who he’s [being] advised by — his agents and his family. That’s what you want to surround yourself with when you make a huge decision about your future. You bring your family in . . . and you do what’s best for you.”

Ryan has not been one of those coaches who forbids anyone in the organization to talk about a player who’s not in camp.

“We admit that if Darrelle’s not here, that it’s going to be more difficult,” Ryan said. “You’re taking the best corner in the league out of your defense. But by no means does that mean we’re not going to still get it done. We will still get it done on defense.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_hope_owner_can_talk_revis_into_4cz0bmONq3JH3pPZcE84ZN?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0veKtCSZA

“I’m sure it is happening. I know Darrelle is close with Sean,” Ryan said. “It’s who he’s [being] advised by — his agents and his family. That’s what you want to surround yourself with when you make a huge decision about your future. You bring your family in . . . and you do what’s best for you.”

Ryan has not been one of those coaches who forbids anyone in the organization to talk about a player who’s not in camp.

“We admit that if Darrelle’s not here, that it’s going to be more difficult,” Ryan said. “You’re taking the best corner in the league out of your defense. But by no means does that mean we’re not going to still get it done. We will still get it done on defense.”

I'm very impressed with Ryan's handling of the situation. A lot of coaches would be taking a hard line, giving quotes like, "all I know is that he's under contract and he's not here," forbidding the team to talk about him, etc. Ryan's making it clear that Revis is still part of the team. He actually sounds supportive. That's going to go a very long way when Revis rejoins the club.

That's one of the really good things about having a separate HC and GM. The coach can be the good cop in these situations, while the GM takes the hard business stance.

This is being made into far to big of a deal, something will get done once football season really starts.

Revis will not watch from his couch, he just won't.

I really hope not-we need him bro-especially after reading about Lowery getting "torched" in 11 on 11's according to Cimini this morning

I'm very impressed with Ryan's handling of the situation. A lot of coaches would be taking a hard line, giving quotes like, "all I know is that he's under contract and he's not here," forbidding the team to talk about him, etc. Ryan's making it clear that Revis is still part of the team. He actually sounds supportive. That's going to go a very long way when Revis rejoins the club.

That's one of the really good things about having a separate HC and GM. The coach can be the good cop in these situations, while the GM takes the hard business stance.

Hahaha...I think Rex is handling this horribly. Why compete?

Anyway....

I'm starting to think a lot of this is for Hard Knocks purposes. If I recall, last years Bengals Hard Knocks had a big rookie hold out and the owner got involved and added intrigue and made the owner look like he was really working it and cared. It's not like Revis doesn't know the system and needs a boat load of reps. Yah, not sure I trust this whole thing.

Archived