Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

Lest we all forget Revis's uncle is non other than Turd Supreme Sean Gilbert

Revis: Cry "uncle" or follow uncle's lead?

July, 12, 2010

JUL 12

10:42

AM ET

By Rich CiminiThirteen years ago, Sean Gilbert took a stand during contract negotiations with the Washington Redskins. The Pro Bowl defensive tackle was so entrenched in his position that he sat out the entire 1997 season, refusing to play for the franchise tag -- $3.4 million. Things got ugly, real ugly, and he wound up being traded to the Carolina Panthers in 1998.

Why should you care about this? Because Gilbert has a nephew named Darrelle Revis, who, as you may have heard, is involved in a contract dispute with the New York Jets. In recent weeks, it has been speculated that Gilbert is influencing Revis, perhaps pushing him to take a hard-line stand.

Make no mistake, Revis and Gilbert are very close. They talk and/or text almost every week during the season, Gilbert providing tough love to his nephew. He constantly pushes Revis, making sure the star cornerback doesn’t rest on his laurels. At the recent minicamp, I asked Revis if Gilbert is dispensing opinions on his contract situation.

“I always talk to my uncle,” Revis told me. “He knows the situation, but he tries to stay out of certain things. He doesn’t try to tell me what to do or try to be a control freak. He’s a great uncle and his advice is always good.”

Gilbert, who played at Aliquippa (Pa.) High School and Pitt (Revis’ alma maters), was a terrific defensive tackle. In 1997, he reportedly received a five-year, $20 million offer from the Redskins. He wanted $22.5 million and refused to sign the franchise tender for $3.4 million. He sacrificed $3.4 million by sitting out; that takes conviction.

Is Revis willing to go that far? There have been conflicting reports on whether he will show up for training camp. Remember: If he doesn’t, he will jeopardize a future guarantee -- $20 million, the combined total of his 2011 and 2012 salaries once the Jets exercise a two-year, buy-back after the season. The money goes from guaranteed to non-guaranteed if he skips, and that will be an enormous factor in his decision.

Revis is firm in his belief that he should be the NFL’s highest-paid cornerback, and the Jets feel they've made a very good offer for a player who still has three years left on his contract. Curiously, the offer is D'Brickashaw-esque, way light on guaranteed money, and I get the sense that the Jets aren’t going to deviate all that much from their approach.

Revis is due to make $1 million in 2010, and I can't see him playing for that amount. Conversely, I don’t think the Jets are going to show much flexibility. Stay tuned, because this could be a long fight. It runs in the family.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Pro Bowl defensive tackle was so entrenched in his position that he sat out the entire 1997 season, refusing to play for the franchise tag -- $3.4 million. Things got ugly, real ugly, and he wound up being traded to the Carolina Panthers in 1998.

I hope it doesn't come down to it, but that's the way these things finish up.

The people on here wanting/expecting to see Revis "rot," - it just ain't happening.

Actually the real reason why Revis is doing this is he wants to further fuel the exciting rivalry between the Jets and Patriots.

Here is what the leader of the Patriots offense said just a few days ago. "Yeah, I think everyone [looks at] ‘spoiled athletes' and guys that are bitching about making millions of dollars. Everyone works hard to make a living for themselves. I certainly don't think we have much to gripe about. We come out, we love what we do - most of us. I just enjoy coming out and playing. That's where I get a lot of enjoyment in my life and I want to do it for a long time."

So of course the leader of the Jets defense is obligated to take the opposite position and bitch and gripe about making millions of dollars and be a spoiled athlete.

:D

Like I said, complete last resort type of thing.

Seriously, if Revis sits out the entire season you think the Jets will continue to play hardball with him for another year? Or will they try to get a couple high picks and move on?

Hardball?

I really don't understand your claim that the Jets are playing hardball.

This is not the NBA or MLB. If Revis sits out he doesn't get paid a dime. That means there is less money the Jets have to expend on salary in 2010. In other words, the Jets are saving $1.5 million if Revis sits out the season.

If anything, trading for "high picks" hurts the Jets bottom line. They'll be paying lesser players for the same they would be paying Revis. It doesn't make any football sense OR financial sense to trade Revis. None. Zero.

Everyone who claims it is is basing it on the metaphysical and nonquantifiable notion of "distraction."

I hope it doesn't come down to it, but that's the way these things finish up.

The people on here wanting/expecting to see Revis "rot," - it just ain't happening.

Complete apples and oranges.

It's ridiculous that people equate the 2.

Gilbert was an UFA who refused to sign his Franchise tender. He wasn't fined and wouldn't lose any year of FA eligibility because he had already accrued enough for that to happen.

Revis has 3 yrs left and is jeopardy of being controlled for 4 yrs by the Jets.

Hardball?

I really don't understand your claim that the Jets are playing hardball.

This is not the NBA or MLB. If Revis sits out he doesn't get paid a dime. That means there is less money the Jets have to expend on salary in 2010. In other words, the Jets are saving $1.5 million if Revis sits out the season.

If anything, trading for "high picks" hurts the Jets bottom line. They'll be paying lesser players for the same they would be paying Revis. It doesn't make any football sense OR financial sense to trade Revis. None. Zero.

Everyone who claims it is is basing it on the metaphysical and nonquantifiable notion of "distraction."

No. I'm placing it on "value." As in, Revis refusing to play offers the Jets none. The Jets trading Revis for players/picks is some.

You really think they'll let him hold out for two years? Watching his trade value drop like a stone? Really?

That's your take on it. I dont watch football caring how these guys act off the field. Is revis probably an arrogant, cocky, greedy guy? Sure....but that makes zero difference to me if he's helping the Jets winning games.

That's cool. I don't give a hoot about these guys personally, to be honest. I root for the name on the helmet, not the one on the back of the jersey and that's the way it's been for me for 40 years, and if I've learned anything over 40 years of watching sports it's that the majority of these professional athletes have been spoiled rotten since high school and don't have a clue how good they have it.

But what you're failing to realize is that, in the NFL, overpaying for 1 player will detrimentally effect your team's ability to win games in the future. And when Mangold, Harris, or another key player walks away from the team because they don't have enough money in the cap to pay them because the broke they bank accomodating "Me"vis's diva antics, I'm sure you'll be the same guy ripping the team for not paying those guys.

Mevis will get a new deal, and a "new" bunch of guaranteed money up front. He would have even without his crybaby antics.

And when that happens, we'll see if you feel the same way when he comes back in 2 or 3 years, again crying that he's not paid enough in 2012.

And that will happen ... because he has proven to be an ungrateful, selfish, greedy scumbag with very little honor.

Mevis will get a new deal, and a "new" bunch of guaranteed money up front. He would have even without his crybaby antics.

And when that happens, we'll see if you feel the same way when he comes back in 2 or 3 years, again crying that he's not paid enough in 2012.

And that will happen ... because he has proven to be a ungrateful, selfish, greedy scumbag with very little honor.

Most of these players will wind up broke within 5 years of retiring so whats the big deal with the contract anyway? If you give them a million dollars or 100 million dollars, they find a way to blow it all.

No. I'm placing it on "value." As in, Revis refusing to play offers the Jets none. The Jets trading Revis for players/picks is some.

You really think they'll let him hold out for two years? Watching his trade value drop like a stone? Really?

The Jets trading Revis for picks offers the Jets no value for 2010 when they're making a SB run in 2010.

The only thing that helps the Jets in 2010 SB run is Revis. They might as well wait him out to get help this year.

The Jets trading Revis for picks offers the Jets no value for 2010 when they're making a SB run in 2010.

The only thing that helps the Jets in 2010 SB run is Revis. They might as well wait him out to get help this year.

Dude!

I said, "last resort, after he holds out the entire season - if it comes to that!" Not this year, next year.

If Revis were to hold out the entire season, do you really think the Jets would hold onto his rights beyond the 2011 Draft?

holding out or not, he's still their best player.

The rational for removing Broadway Joe and replacing him with Dirty Sanchez was that one was actively on the team and other while a better player was no longer doing anything to help the Jets win.

If you stick with that logic, a player that is not in camp and not helping the Jets win ought be removed until he ends his holdout.

Dude!

I said, "last resort, after he holds out the entire season - if it comes to that!" Not this year, next year.

If Revis were to hold out the entire season, do you really think the Jets would hold onto his rights beyond the 2011 Draft?

I don't care about 2011 because there won't be football in 2011.

There'll be a draft and then right after the lockout will start.

And, yes, I think the Jets will hold onto his rights because they would control his rights for another 3 yrs. Revis isn't seeing FA until 2014 at the earliest based on the course he has set.

Archived