Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

I'm very impressed with Ryan's handling of the situation. A lot of coaches would be taking a hard line, giving quotes like, "all I know is that he's under contract and he's not here," forbidding the team to talk about him, etc. Ryan's making it clear that Revis is still part of the team. He actually sounds supportive. That's going to go a very long way when Revis rejoins the club.

That's one of the really good things about having a separate HC and GM. The coach can be the good cop in these situations, while the GM takes the hard business stance.

I agree totally with this, Rex is definitely playing the 'good cop' in this situation, he's saying all the right things.

Something will done, I also agree with Grab :bag: this has 'Hard Knocks" hype written all over it IMO.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Charlie is neglecting to add here is that the real risk for Revis is to play for that [sic] $1M, suffer a career altering injury, and never sniff at the 10's of millions he's worth today.

Do you think Revis is doing anything to stay in shape?

He can just as well get hurt doing that and still "suffer a career altering injury, and never sniff at the 10's of millions he's worth today.

Do you think Revis is doing anything to stay in shape?

He can just as well get hurt doing that and still "suffer a career altering injury, and never sniff at the 10's of millions he's worth today.

One thing we Twitterers have learned about Revis TBJ is he is one hard worker during the off season

What Charlie is neglecting to add here is that the real risk for Revis is to play for that [sic] $1M, suffer a career altering injury, and never sniff at the 10's of millions he's worth today.

And here's the other problem the Jets are facing - holding out for the whole season works.

Not for Revis.

If he holds out this whole season, then he waves goodbye to 20 million over the next 2 years.

If he sits out this season, he loses the Jets buyback. Why? Because if he sits out then buys out his contract, he becomes a free agent.

A free agent with only 3 years of service time.

Which, under the current rules, makes him an Exclusive Rights Free Agent - meaning he can't even negotiate with other teams. Under the old CBA rules, assuming it reverts back to that with a new CBA, he becomes a Restricted Free Agent. He'll be tendered at the first and third round level - about 3mil - and the Jets will match any long term contract offer he gets or walk away with draft picks. And with Aso's deal off the market, odds are that the numbers for him will be more in line with what the Jets are currently offering, anyway. And that's assuming he gets an offer sheet (teams are very reluctant to give up a 1 & 3 and pay 10+M/year for a player, so he may not). If he doesn't, his options will be to play on the tender, after which the Jets will be able to franchise him (since the "no franchising" agreement in the buyout wouldn't apply) and pay him as the 3rd highest paid CB for the next 3 years.

Any way you look at it, holding out past 8/10 is likely to cost Revis $$, not make him money - especially if the new CBA has the same "years to FA" rules the league is currently operating under (and if I had to guess, it's likely that the rules will be adjusted to 5 years to FA, 4 to RFA, leaving Revis as a 3rd year ERFA with no leverage at all).

Revis will be in camp 8/10.

Not for Revis.

If he holds out this whole season, then he waves goodbye to 20 million over the next 2 years.

If he sits out this season, he loses the Jets buyback. Why? Because if he sits out then buys out his contract, he becomes a free agent.

If he sits out the season then next year - if there is a season - will be a repeat of this offseason. He will be under contract for $1M in 2011 with a Jets option for 2012 (and then effectively another separate Jets option for 2013 since buying back the 2 years no longer guarantees both years).

If he sits out the season and the players stage a walkout in 2011 and return to play in 2012 (however likely or unlikely) then Revis will get:

2010: zero

2011: zero

2012: $1M

2013: Jets option for $5M

2014: Jets option for $15M

He doesn't lose the Jets buyback. He loses the guarantee of the Jets keeping him for both years of it - particularly that 2nd buyback year at $15M - if the Jets exercise the buyback option. Technically, now that he held out even this much, the Jets could buy back the 2 years after the 2010 season but cut him after the 2011 season with no requirement to pay him anything further and no negative cap implications (assuming there is a cap). That's what he lost. Barring injury the Jets would definitely buy back the 2 years but if he gets injured in the first year of the buy-back, they aren't going to pay him $15M for year 2 and could just cut him. Revis could then be a badly - or permanently - injured player with an additional $6M (pre-tax) instead of $21M. Quite a difference.

What Revis is trying to avoid - understandable enough, as distasteful as it may seem since he did sign the contract with these terms - is the potential for playing this year for $1M and then suffer a career-ending injury.

At least that's as I understand it.

It's been a while since I've been on JN but since camp has started up and the season is upon us, I'm here.

While I understand everyone's frustration about Revis, you have to realize that he's out for himself too and just doesn't want to be screwed over like Leon was. He's the centerpiece of the league's best defense, he will be signed eventually. No need to hate the guy, he's the best defensive player in the NFL and the best player on our team. He just wants to be paid like it. And he deserves the pay...dude shuts down everyone. There's a reason why we made it to the AFC championship game last year.

I just can't see how some Jet fans all of the sudden turned on him and now hate him with a passion. Because I'm sure that when he's resigned and on the field ready to play this season, and shuts every receiver down that he faces, he'll be everyone's favorite player again.

It's been a while since I've been on JN but since camp has started up and the season is upon us, I'm here.

While I understand everyone's frustration about Revis, you have to realize that he's out for himself too and just doesn't want to be screwed over like Leon was. He's the centerpiece of the league's best defense, he will be signed eventually. No need to hate the guy, he's the best defensive player in the NFL and the best player on our team. He just wants to be paid like it. And he deserves the pay...dude shuts down everyone. There's a reason why we made it to the AFC championship game last year.

I just can't see how some Jet fans all of the sudden turned on him and now hate him with a passion. Because I'm sure that when he's resigned and on the field ready to play this season, and shuts every receiver down that he faces, he'll be everyone's favorite player again.

First off, Leon screwed himself by being greedy and not accepting any of the Jets offers. He wanted to be paid like a premiere feature back, which of course he wasn't. I feel no sympathy for him.

As far as Revis, my main problem with him is that he held out for his rookie contract, and is now holding out again on that very contract. That makes him look greedy and untrustworthy. I might of felt different if he never held out to begin with, but that's not the case and is now holding out with 3 years left.

It's very easy to understand the fans rage toward MEvis. You have a guy who held out to begin with for this very contract, who is now holding out again after already collecting millions. He's doing so to get even more millions to feed his family, and in the process is screwing the Jets chances at a SB. Yeah, I can't understand the fans rage either.

let me first state that i have been a jets fan all my life.i am pushing 40.i was a novice fan for 10 or 15 years,but i have paid close attention to jets detail ever since.i also dont like sports at all,only football and only the jets.

there are alot of opinions and speculating at this point.so lets first start off with the facts

1.revis is due to make very little this year

2.revis is jets property for 3 more years

3.revis has been well compansated for his first 3 years as well as his last 2

4.revis was involved in a hold out during his rookie season

5.revis has an uncle named gilbert who once held out for an entire season,whom which revis has stated he takes advice from

6.as far as i can remember,any jets player who put up a gid enough stink,was shown the door

7.if the nfl was texas hold em,woody,tanny,and the jets are "ALL IN" for their super bowl run

8.the aso contract has many unigue factors in it and is considered an abberation

now lets go to the rumors fed to us by the media

1.revis wants aso money.nothing else will do

2.revis just wants a reasonable guaranteed contract

3.tanny approached revis promising him to "tear up" his old contract and make him the highest paid db in the league

4.tanny approached revis offing him an "extention"making him the highest paid db in the league.

5.tanny has offered revis a crappy contract

6.tanny has offered revis a fai contract

7.tanny is painting revis as greedy

lastly,we will look at opinions

1.revis is greedy

2.revis is doing what he needs to do to feed his family

3.the jets are cheap and need to pay the man whatever he wants

4.revis signed a contract and should live up to it

5.revis and tanny need to get together and hammer out a deal fair to both sides

6.the jets defense will collapse without revis and will have no shot at the sb without him

7.rex system makes revis

8.the defense will be better with him,but the jets can win without him

9.leon was used and abused by the jets and they dispossed of him like yesterdays garbage

10.leon was greedy and screwed himself

i have spent a lot of time with this issue over the past coupla weeks.alot more so than usual.i am not usually active on this board as some of you might have noticed,i have been intrigued by this situation.after careful consideration,this is what i beleive is going on and what will happen.lets start off somewhere towards the end of last season

tanny-"revis is having quite a year"

woody-"you got that right"

tanny-"revis is only making 1m next year"

woody-"he is going to want more"

tanny-"revis and his agent are very difficult to deal with and that aso contract will surely mess things up"

woody-"beat him to the punch.offer him a contract extention"

now regardless of who you beleive about what revis wants and what tanny is willing to pay,and with the history of tanny getting rid of difficult players,revis will not be a jet next season.period.tanny has made,what he thinks,is an offer that is fair to both sides.from what hear,there is a huge gap between what both parties want.i beleive tanny is done with long term contract talks.he might take the low road and let revis sit out the year and trade him next year,but i dont think that is the case.with the new stadium,hard knocks,slow psl sales,and all the new additions to the team,it is truly super bowl or bust with the jets.they might feel they can win without him,but hey know they have a better shot with him.with an uncapped year and a possibility of a strike next year,tanny will offer a bandaide contract to revis that he will not be able to turn down

if all goes well,the jets win big this year.cromartie was a steal for the jets and jets fans will be inpressed with his cover skills.wilson has potential.until i see his play,thats what he has.potential.anyways,after the bandaid,tanny then approaches mangold and harris.explains why he had to do revis contract first(all of the above)and signs them to extentions proving to everybody the jets take care of their own.at least to a cerain degree.sometime late in the season,tanny approaches cromartie with an extention.after the season,tanny approaches edwards and holmes with extentions.being that there is compotition,both agree to team friendly deals.then,obviously,before the draft,revis is placed on the trading blocks,with at least a minimum 1st and 2nd round draft picks for revis.the jets enter the 2011 draft with a full compliment of draft picks plus and an extra 1st and 2nd.possibly losing a 2nd with the cromartie trade.plus have all their players signed to extensions.at the same time,tanny will be seting the precedent.difficult players will not be tolerated.play nice and you will be rewarded.the jets will then do damage with their draft picks,supplying depth to the entire team,never having to draft for need again.THIS IS WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN AND NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ALTER HIS OUTCOME(ok.there might be a million circumstances,but i dont want to hear them.lol)

Why do you want 2011 draft choices? There might not be a season and they will do us no good for our "all in" super bowl run in 2010. IIRC the 2010 draft was considered extremely strong because all the underclassmen came out because of the fear of a lockout and impending rookie wage scale. That means the 2011 draft will likely be comparatively weak. I want Revis, not picks.

Why do you want 2011 draft choices? There might not be a season and they will do us no good for our "all in" super bowl run in 2010. IIRC the 2010 draft was considered extremely strong because all the underclassmen came out because of the fear of a lockout and impending rookie wage scale. That means the 2011 draft will likely be comparatively weak. I want Revis, not picks.

the jets will have revis for 2010.they will trade revis in 2011.if there is no football in 2011,what is the difference between revis and draft picks?

What maked you think that Edwards and Holmes will sign team friendly deals? If anything, I see just the opposite. With Mangold likely wanting to be paid the most for a center and Harris needing to be signed, there's no way you can sign both.

As far as trading Revis, draft picks are a crapshoot. I'd rather get several proven players, including another corner. But I just don't see this happening as player for player trades don't happen too often. At this point the only solution for the Jets is to wait it out and try to come to some agreement. I just don't see MEvis holding out for the entire season. But he may miss some of the season in the process.

What maked you think that Edwards and Holmes will sign team friendly deals? If anything, I see just the opposite. With Mangold likely wanting to be paid the most for a center and Harris needing to be signed, there's no way you can sign both.

As far as trading Revis, draft picks are a crapshoot. I'd rather get several proven players, including another corner. But I just don't see this happening as player for player trades don't happen too often. At this point the only solution for the Jets is to wait it out and try to come to some agreement. I just don't see MEvis holding out for the entire season. But he may miss some of the season in the process.

just throwing a guess out here on holmes and edwards.with revis not being signed long term,the jets will sign mangold and harris.the jets have said there i senough money to sign the core 4.just so happens,they plan on signing the core 3

just throwing a guess out here on holmes and edwards.with revis not being signed long term,the jets will sign mangold and harris.the jets have said there i senough money to sign the core 4.just so happens,they plan on signing the core 3

I just don't see a trade happening though. The Jets will be only hurting themselves by trading him. That would be a signal to guys like Mangold to do the same thing if the Jets don't make him the highest paid center in the league. Likewise they can't cave in to MEvis and pay him 16M a year for the same reason. Unfortunately the Jets are stuck in a holding pattern until MEvis and his agents start being reasonable in their demands. That may take a long time. Count me in on one of those that would be willing to have him sit a year and still retain his rights for the other 2. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I just don't see a trade happening though. The Jets will be only hurting themselves by trading him. That would be a signal to guys like Mangold to do the same thing if the Jets don't make him the highest paid center in the league. Likewise they can't cave in to MEvis and pay him 16M a year for the same reason. Unfortunately the Jets are stuck in a holding pattern until MEvis and his agents start being reasonable in their demands. That may take a long time. Count me in on one of those that would be willing to have him sit a year and still retain his rights for the other 2. I hope it doesn't come to that.

see thats my point.the jets will make mangold the highest paid player at his position,or really close too it.the jets are trying to make revis the highest paid player,only problem with that is,is tanny wants to make him the highest played "realistic contracted" player and revis beleives that the aso contract is "true"market value.the jets would be hurting themselves more by caving to revis and paying him what he thinks he deserves.that would almost guarntee that mangold or harris doent get their extention.revis is the best player on the jets and probably the best cb in the game today.but the twist is,he doesnt play the most important possition on the field.the jets are stacked elsewhere.many of teams have won the super bowls with out cb's of revis's ability.tanny has proven that he can pluck players out of the draft with real talent and production.his first 2 drafts ever,he plucked 2 players who are considered the best.do you think he cant or wont do it again?

'

see thats my point.the jets will make mangold the highest paid player at his position,or really close too it.t

there's nothing stopping the Jets from giving Mangold or Harris a contract right now

there's nothing stopping the Jets from giving those 2 and Revis a new deal right now

there's no cap and the Jets are 20 M under last year's number

what we have here is a situation where the Jets PR machine is in full swing but look at the numebrs they haven't written a big check since pre 2009. they traded for Braylon which was an increase in salary. They gave about 3 mil to Brick in bonus, 2.5 to VG for 10 on the back end and whatever they paid Kyle Wilson. But they didn't write a big (above 5 mil ) bonus check for quite a long time.

and while we are on the subject of big checks, they had no problem renting an old hurt bad Brett Favre the c--k texter for a single year for 10+ mil so all their talk about long term, high character blah blah is pretty hollow.

they wrote 10 million dollar check to a c--k texter who didn't even learn the plays. No prob.

Woody has a high debt or whatever but something is rotten in the state of denmark. It's pretty inconvenient they spend like drunk sailors and then when the good talent comes up no one gets jack squat. I believe if it were up to Tanny it would be done by now, it's not up to Tanny.

I also believe that if the new stadium got a naming deal Taco Bell Stadium or something all of a sudden someone would get paid. Woody is either cash poor or clamping the vice right in time for a Super Bowl run.

there's nothing stopping the Jets from giving Mangold or Harris a contract right now

there's nothing stopping the Jets from giving those 2 and Revis a new deal right now

there's no cap and the Jets are 20 M under last year's number

what we have here is a situation where the Jets PR machine is in full swing but look at the numebrs they haven't written a big check since pre 2009

and while we are on the subject of big checks, they had no problem renting an old hurt bad Brett Favre the c--k texter for a single year for 10+ mil so all their talk about long term, high character blah blah is pretty hollow.

they wrote 10 million dollar check to a c--k texter. No prob.

ya,but that 10m check they gave the cock texter,was in line with what most qb's make.peyton manning is in the last year of his deal.best player on the team ,right?lets say he held out and demanded 60% more than his brother was making(i beleive eli is the highest paid qb)do the colts just cave and give him what he wants because he is the best player.the jets havnt handed out a big money check because they didnt have to.this year the check book is out.problem is,revis wants 2 checks.he wants his check and he wants mangold's/harris's check

The other difference between Farve and Revis, was Farve was a two year deal. With no guaranteed money for year two. I don't think there was even a signing bonus. He was cash and carry. Whatever you spent on him wasn't gonna have any cap space issues for the following year(s). Both sides could pretty much walk away at any time with almost no repercussions.

OTOH, if you sign Revis to 8 year contract at an insane amount of guaranteed money and he gets injured or it just turns out that 2009 was a career year and he goes back to 2007/2008 form well now the team this huge non-productive cap hit year after year.

ya,but that 10m check they gave the cock texter,was in line with what most qb's make.problem is,revis wants 2 checks.he wants his check and he wants mangold's/harris's check

so ok If that's the case, give Mangold and Harris their checks and freeze Revis out. Why not? You said it yourself 'cause they don't have to'

im rooting for Revis he's the little guy who has the power to say no. the rest of us have to face certain death on the highways and go into coal mining. Revis can say "it's on my terms" and the Jets have to either eat it or not.

But lets not pretend they are paying Mangold, Harris, Braylon, Holmes and Cro instead of Revis. They aren't really paying any1.

The other difference between Farve and Revis, was Farve was a two year deal. With no guaranteed money for year two. I don't think there was even a signing bonus. He was cash and carry. Whatever you spent on him wasn't gonna have any cap space issues for the following year(s). Both sides could pretty much walk away at any time with almost no repercussions.

OTOH, if you sign Revis to 8 year contract at an insane amount of guaranteed money and he gets injured or it just turns out that 2009 was a career year and he goes back to 2007/2008 form well now the team this huge non-productive cap hit year after year.

we dont even know if there will be a cap after 2011. they are 20 mil under last year's cap. there are no cap concerns. It's all PR.

so ok If that's the case, give Mangold and Harris their checks and freeze Revis out. Why not? You said it yourself 'cause they don't have to'

im rooting for Revis he's the little guy who has the power to say no. the rest of us have to face certain death on the highways and go into coal mining. Revis can say "it's on my terms" and the Jets have to either eat it or not.

But lets not pretend they are paying Mangold, Harris, Braylon, Holmes and Cro instead of Revis. They aren't really paying any1.

Did the thought ever cross your mind that the Revis contract situation has a direct bearing on contracts for Harris and Mangold?

If the Jets knew that Revis's cap number for next year was going to stay at ~$6.4m, there is a good chance that Mangold would already have a new deal, provided that he is not as unreasonable in his demands as his teammate, Darrelle.

we dont even know if there will be a cap after 2011. they are 20 mil under last year's cap. there are no cap concerns. It's all PR.

They are $20m under last year's cap without Mangold and Harris... that's assuming the owners don't get the reduction they are seeking.

Since you seem to be so certain that there are no cap concerns, what will the cap number be in 2011 (if there's a season)?

if i had 3 jobs to do,i would choose to get the hardest out of the way first in case you run into snags.you then know what your dealing with.i beleive thats tannys philosophy.revis has already proven to be difficult.i already told you.revis will get a bandaid because the jets need him this year.harris and mangold are next after revis is done.revis comes from allaquippa,pa.a very broke town where the kids growing up are taught to worship $$$.that is their religeon.revis,ty law,revis uncle,they all worship $$.

you root for revis,i will root fo harris and mangold.rooting for revis is anti mangold/harris

Your memory is funny. 2007 and 2008 weren't exactly slacker seasons for Revis. In fact they were damn good too. He made the pro bowl in 2008

Archived