Mike Francesa calls the Jets organization "common trash" on the air

Matt39

This...excellent post. You have to walk the walk if you continue to pound your chest. That's just the way it is. The sky will be filled with vultures waiting to take a bite if Rex doesn't win at a high rate including a SB...if we don't, Rex will move on to another job...us fans will take a beating forever.

So what else is new? We've been taking that beating forever. It's only now that we've gotten a different reaction.

In the last several months, I've gotten such a different reaction from people when they see me wearing Jets gear. Instead of uncomfortable sympathy or outright disdain its "you guys are gonna have a big year" or "I wish my team had a coach like that."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what else is new? We've been taking that beating forever. It's only now that we've gotten a different reaction.

In the last several months, I've gotten such a different reaction from people when they see me wearing Jets gear. Instead of uncomfortable sympathy or outright disdain its "you guys are gonna have a big year" or "I wish my team had a coach like that."

seconded

it's funny, what are we losing again ? the decades of glory and national respect for the jets logo ?

the love and admiration from the media and sports talk radio hosts ?

yeah, it would suck if cimini fatcesa and serby started writing negative things about the jets

lol

To play some Devil's Advocate here (who, me? No way!), the Jets better win under Rex or this regime will be remembered as the ultimate clown-shoes operation in NFL history. If you're going to kick dirt on the Tom Landry/John Wooden model of coach and, instead, be irreverent and give the appearance of a pirate horde, then you have to be willing to accept that the entire world is going to point at and spit on your team until they win a championship. And if it NEVER happens? Forget about it, you're a perpetual punch line a la the Mets. Jets fans will never admit to this, but if Rex was the coach of the Dolphins and he let the Dolphins fill up news streams with trash talk before they ever even sniffed winning the division, everyone in NY would be absolutely disgusted with his behavior. Every one of you. But it's the old, "Yes, he's a jerk, but he's OUR jerk" situation: everyone's an ******* until they're wearing your team's jersey (Patriots/Randy Moss; Cowboys/T.O.; Cowboys/Deion; Jets/Jason Taylor). It's cool to circle the wagons around "your guy," but let's not act like people outside the Jets organization don't have a point when they shake their heads at what's going on with this team.

I agree with that and what is funny is that is exactly what I like best about Rex. When they were looking at Rex and Steve Spagnuolo I thought that Spags was the much safer pick. 3-4, 4-3 issues aside I saw Spags as a guy that the media loved, he had the Giants pedigree and really would legitimize the Jets once again. I liked Rex but he scared me. I thought that how he dealt with the media would be a train wreck

What I didn't know at the time is how calculated he is. He seems to own this media. He makes them laugh and they love him. But your point is an excellent one, this is all predicated upon them winning. That is the fascinating part thought, because that is exactly the way he wants it.

He comes in and says the goal is to win the Super Bowl. He got laughed at. Now guys like Francesca are calling him out because he hasn't accomplished anything yet. But his stated goal seems like a possibility at this point. A year ago not many felt it was possible.

what I dont get is that parcells swore like a sailor.

if francessa wanted to really be a jerk, then u would think he would at least pick a topic that wasnt the same MO as parcells..

its odd...

That is a good point, I guess Parcells did it in a classy way in Mike's eyes.

It would be nice to be a consistent force in the NFL for awhile, with the accent on "consistent." I'd sign up for a really good run right now, pirate horde or not. :lol:

My PSL rep told me that is exactly what is going to happen. He said, "anyone can win one Super Bowl, we are configuring this franchise so that we win multiple Super Bowls".

I signed right then.

I agree with that and what is funny is that is exactly what I like best about Rex. When they were looking at Rex and Steve Spagnuolo I thought that Spags was the much safer pick. 3-4, 4-3 issues aside I saw Spags as a guy that the media loved, he had the Giants pedigree and really would legitimize the Jets once again. I liked Rex but he scared me. I thought that how he dealt with the media would be a train wreck.

Thing is, Spags and Rex are polar opposites. When Spagnuolo interviewed for the Jets job, he showed himself to have the personality of a brick wall. He worked so well as DC with the Giants because hes the calculating, cerebral type while Coughlin was the emotional member of the dysfunctional family. Spagnuolo needs to find himself a fiery DC (like a Rex Ryan) to help him succeed in St. Louis.

Rex blew the Jets away with his interview by comparison. And its not just because he's a "talker". Its because, like you said, he's brilliant in dealing with people and getting the absolute most out of them.

It's cool to circle the wagons around "your guy," but let's not act like people outside the Jets organization don't have a point when they shake their heads at what's going on with this team.

I hope they're shaking more than their heads. We have ourselves the next Tuna without the sore loser quitter mentality.

Rex is a gritty nuts and bolts machinist-type talent evaluator who will only get better. He's determined to build a winner, part for part. Plus he's funny as hell. He's no introverted fraud like Mangini, and no spiritualistic messiah like church Edwards. He gives everyone a real reason to believe, much like Parcells and Belichick.

Only diff is, Parcells is done, and likewise, BB doesn't have one single motivational tool left in his belt to be effective in NE.

If Belichick wins another SB it'll be with a whole new project team, not NE.

To play some Devil's Advocate here (who, me? No way!), the Jets better win under Rex or this regime will be remembered as the ultimate clown-shoes operation in NFL history. If you're going to kick dirt on the Tom Landry/John Wooden model of coach and, instead, be irreverent and give the appearance of a pirate horde, then you have to be willing to accept that the entire world is going to point at and spit on your team until they win a championship. And if it NEVER happens? Forget about it, you're a perpetual punch line a la the Mets. Jets fans will never admit to this, but if Rex was the coach of the Dolphins and he let the Dolphins fill up news streams with trash talk before they ever even sniffed winning the division, everyone in NY would be absolutely disgusted with his behavior. Every one of you. But it's the old, "Yes, he's a jerk, but he's OUR jerk" situation: everyone's an ******* until they're wearing your team's jersey (Patriots/Randy Moss; Cowboys/T.O.; Cowboys/Deion; Jets/Jason Taylor). It's cool to circle the wagons around "your guy," but let's not act like people outside the Jets organization don't have a point when they shake their heads at what's going on with this team.

He won 2 playoff games in his first season with a rookie quarterback. How can you trash that?

Disagree. If he were the Dolphags coach, I'd be jealous. If you love Football, you love Rex Ryan. Dont see how you cant. And its not like he's doing anything that out of this world. His goal is to win the SB and he's confident in saying that...isnt it every's team goal to win the SB? Whats the big deal about him saying it so the world can hear? I think he'd be more of concern if he said something different.

If he fails, then at least he failed trying something new and bold. I'm ok with that.

Agreed. Thats what I hear from everyone.

Disagree. If he were the Dolphags coach, I'd be jealous. If you love Football, you love Rex Ryan. Dont see how you cant. And its not like he's doing anything that out of this world. His goal is to win the SB and he's confident in saying that...isnt it every's team goal to win the SB? Whats the big deal about him saying it so the world can hear? I think he'd be more of concern if he said something different.

If he fails, then at least he failed trying something new and bold. I'm ok with that.

Agreed. Thats what I hear from everyone.

I also agree with the point Klecko made. When I moved out here and told people I'm a Jets fan, their response typically was "Why, you could've been a Giants fan." Now it's "You guys had a great year last year, think you guys will go all the way?"

I almost don't know what to say. Thank you Rex Ryan. You are a fat, fat man full of win, blitzkrieg-pound-you-in-nuts defense and cursing. I would go to war for you.

I also agree with the point Klecko made. When I moved out here and told people I'm a Jets fan, their response typically was "Why, you could've been a Giants fan." Now it's "You guys had a great year last year, think you guys will go all the way?"

I almost don't know what to say. Thank you Rex Ryan. You are a fat, fat man full of win, blitzkrieg-pound-you-in-nuts defense and cursing. I would go to war for you.

Same here. I was at a friend's wedding the other day. He's a Broncos fan, but told me he's picking the Jets to win the Super Bowl this year. When was the last time non-Jets fans were, in droves, pegging the Jets to take home the Lombardi? 1999 MAYBE?

For as many Rex haters that there are out there, there may be even MORE who like him or at least respect what he's doing.

To play some Devil's Advocate here (who, me? No way!), the Jets better win under Rex or this regime will be remembered as the ultimate clown-shoes operation in NFL history. If you're going to kick dirt on the Tom Landry/John Wooden model of coach and, instead, be irreverent and give the appearance of a pirate horde, then you have to be willing to accept that the entire world is going to point at and spit on your team until they win a championship. And if it NEVER happens? Forget about it, you're a perpetual punch line a la the Mets. Jets fans will never admit to this, but if Rex was the coach of the Dolphins and he let the Dolphins fill up news streams with trash talk before they ever even sniffed winning the division, everyone in NY would be absolutely disgusted with his behavior.[/b] Every one of you. But it's the old, "Yes, he's a jerk, but he's OUR jerk" situation: everyone's an ******* until they're wearing your team's jersey (Patriots/Randy Moss; Cowboys/T.O.; Cowboys/Deion; Jets/Jason Taylor). It's cool to circle the wagons around "your guy," but let's not act like people outside the Jets organization don't have a point when they shake their heads at what's going on with this team.

The jets are all talking trash? I hear Rex talking about winning the SB, but I never hear him putting down another team. Can you please post the quotes of the Jets talking trash? Everyone is talking about it, but somehow I'm not hearing it.

Archived