PapelBUM rocked for four runs

NIGHT STALKER

Use to be good, now he sucks.

Add him to the list of closers who couldn't do what Rivera does... for how long Rivera has done it.

Papelbon is due for another big pay day in arbitration, I don't see the Sox holding on to him if they have any plans to make Bard their closer.

I don't know if I've ever seen another fanbase so concerned about another team. Another schadenfreude thread. Pretty weak.

I have no problem letting him go and letting Bard close.

Red Sox are our biggest rivals... why shouldn't we be conserved about them? Their year is over, I think we have a right to gloat a little, you know you would too if the tables were turned, but next year the Sox will be back, healthy, and clear contenders.

If I had lost all sense and enjoyed punting baby puppies and became a Yankees fan, I would be a little more concerned with the fact that the rotation consists of one healthy pitcher with an ERA under 4. I would be concerned that they weren't going to get anything in the playoffs from Hughes, Burnett, Vazquez, and others. I would be concerned about Andy Pettitte's health. I would be concerned with the declining skills of the core players. I would be concerned with the bullpen outside of Rivera. I would be concerned with the teams not named the Boston Red Sox.

Instead they are concerned about the third place team who was wrecked by injuries and still would be in contention in any other division. Pathetic.

If I had lost all sense and enjoyed punting baby puppies and became a Yankees fan, I would be a little more concerned with the fact that the rotation consists of one healthy pitcher with an ERA under 4. I would be concerned that they weren't going to get anything in the playoffs from Hughes, Burnett, Vazquez, and others. I would be concerned about Andy Pettitte's health. I would be concerned with the declining skills of the core players. I would be concerned with the bullpen outside of Rivera. I would be concerned with the teams not named the Boston Red Sox.

Instead they are concerned about the third place team who was wrecked by injuries and still would be in contention in any other division. Pathetic.

Funny stuff...enjoy watching the Yanks again in the playoffs.

Apparently you Red Sox fans can't be concerned about more than 1 thing at a time. That must suck.

Yankees have plenty of weaknesses, but their bullpen def. isn't one of them.

Can't use the excuse he's hurt too Sox fans. The guy stinks...has a 5-6 record with a 3.36 ERA. Not exactly numbers you'd want for your closer. And to think Sox fans were saying a couple of years ago he was the eqivilent to Mariano...right. :rolleyes:

Stink is a little strong, but he has some issue(s).

I think the entire staff needs a new pitching coach which I believe would be beneficial to Papelbon to straighten his head out. Plus, the closer to FA he has gotten, the worse he has gotten.

Some games he over relies on his FB which is not as good as it used to be. Or he does not go to it enough to get an out and over relies on slider which is really not as good as it used to be.

He might be the Drew Beldsoe of closers. Good, but not great.

This post is hilarious. Do you watch baseball? Have you looked at the standings?

Yes I watch baseball. Yes I have looked at the standings. What is incorrect about what I said. That would be hilarious.

What's hilarious is that none of the "problems" you cited have stopped the Yankees from having the best record in baseball.

What's hilarious is that none of the "problems" you cited have stopped the Yankees from having the best record in baseball.

Which means nothing in the playoffs.

As of right now, all the other contenders (TB, Minny and Tex) have more starting pitching then the Yankees.

The Yankees look eerily similar to the Pedro Martinez Sox teams. Survive him and then deal with the rest.

Which means nothing in the playoffs.

As of right now, all the other contenders (TB, Minny and Tex) have more starting pitching then the Yankees.

The Yankees look eerily similar to the Pedro Martinez Sox teams. Survive him and then deal with the rest.

Yanks own Minny...Texas is starting to slide, especially if Hamiliton is hurt for a period of time. The only team that bothers me are the Rays...pitching and youth.

Wow. Just.... wow. Please tell me this is a joke.

His stats as a Met are irrelevent to the conversation - if he was in Boston that team would be in the playoff race instead of starting Daniel Nava and Mike Cameron

how is Mike Cameron by the way? what a great signing

His stats as a Met are irrelevent to the conversation - if he was in Boston that team would be in the playoff race instead of starting Daniel Nava and Mike Cameron

Mike Cameron got hurt. Ellsbury got hurt. Drew has been hurt off and on. Plus a litany of other injuries.

Jason Bay had 6 homeruns in 348 at bats. Mike Cameron had 4 in 162.

Jason Bay is also on the DL and only played in a whopping 95 games.

Why are his stats irrelevant? There is no telling what would have happened if he was in Boston. Maybe he runs into Beltre instead of Ellsbury and breaks his ribs? You never can tell.

If we has a closer, the Sox would be in playoff contention.

For the myriad of issues the Sox have had, the collection of 'talent' that has filled in for Bays size 6 Keds, that .267 average and 36 homeruns you Bays apologist fawn over. Not having Bays and his suspect D in LF is the least of the Sox issues.

again look at Paps blown saves...many of them contain 3 or 4 runs allowed which inflate his ERA to look far worse than it really is

Paps is still an elite closer despite what the thread starter thinks.

He's blown 7 saves this season. His ERA is what it should be. He's not as dominant as he once was and he is much too reliant on his fastballs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived