Cromartie: Jets 'are the Miami Heat of football'

JOJOTOWNSELL

UNSETTLING TO SAY THE LEAST

http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/24416175

Posted by Will Brinson

If you weren't expecting the Jets to be less obnoxious the night of the "Hard Knocks" finale or slightly humbled as the season gets closer, well, you were wrong. You were also stupid -- as soon as they got Darrelle Revis back, it was obvious they were only going to get cockier.

But Antonio Cromartie has taken it to a new level, unless I'm somehow badly misconstruing the quote he dropped on Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News .

"We're the Miami Heat of football," cornerback Cromartie said.

Cro wasn't the only one smack-talking, either. (Note that we'll examine his statement below.)

"Some people may think if we took a step closer and just got there, that'd be enough," tight end Dustin Keller said. "But it's not at all. This team is basically Super Bowl or bust."

That's not TOO insane. Everyone should be "Super Bowl or bust" before the year in the NFL.

Mark Sanchez' decision to say "We're building a dream team," could be considered a little cooky though.

Okay, so you've heard the other crazy talk, but re: Cro and the Heat, is it a) ridiculous, B) incorrect, c) foolish or d) all of the above?

I'll go with "d" and here's why: for the Jets to be the "Miami Heat of football," they would need a top-three player in the NFL at three-fifths of the 22 positions on the field. Darrelle Revis gives them that at one position. Bart Scott perhaps. Santonio Holmes is a hell of a slot receiver, no question about it. Nick Mangold is an excellent center. Etc, etc.

Look, I get that they're 1) chock full of big names, 2) riddled with tons of veterans chasing a ring, 3) one of the few favorites to win the championship even though people are really skeptical and 4) universally hated, but all of those things don't combine to overcome the fact that in comparison to the Heat, the Jets lack a significant amount of elite talent to really make a valid comparison.

Just goes to show the mentality of athletes today....Comparing yourself to a team (miami) that hasnt won a goddamn thing! Its like Lebron James saying we are the "New York Jets" of basketball!! So ridiculous!! Hype is a disease!! Would it have hurt to say we are the Lakers of football!? If you are gonna imply that you are a winner at least compare yourself to a winner!!

I wonder how Will Brinson lives if he is so mathematical and serious about everything. "They'd have to have a top 3 player at 3/5ths of the 22 positions." Give me a break.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing.

However, I kinda get what Cro is saying here...in the offseason the Jets picked up him, a former DPOY, a former MVP/HOF running back, a former Super Bowl MVP. The Jets have the best Center in the league, the best CB in the league, the best LB'ing core in the league, one of the best DT's in the league, one of the LT's in the league.

Though the comment was stupid, I get it.

Why? Because Cro compared the Jets to another star-laden team most people think will underachieve this year?

spin it to your liking huh. Who the hell thinks the heat is gonna underachieve....morons, thats who. Funny though that Cromartie compares the jets to a team is that is destined to be a dynasty. Jets are a 9-7 football team, bank it.

Comparing yourself to a team (miami) that hasnt won a goddamn thing!

That's the part of it that actually makes the comparison make sense. We have a good amount of star power on the roster, have huge expectations and have yet to step on the field.

Plus, Revis is a bit like LeBron in that both are arguably the best in their respective leagues at what they do and could be considered "divas". They both captured the attention of their sports for at least a month in the offseason.

None of that was what Cro was probably driving at, but it makes sense in hindsight.

spin it to your liking huh. Who the hell thinks the heat is gonna underachieve....people who understand basketball better than the sycophantic mouth breathers who work for ESPN, thats who. Funny though that Cromartie compares the jets to a team is that is destined to be a bust, unlike the Jets. Jets are a 14-2 football team, bank it.

Fixed.

Archived