Shawne Merriman Done in San Diego

Vudu

Shawne Merriman is done in San Diego

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 13, 2010 12:54 PM ET

The Chargers will no longer wait for Shawne Merriman to get healthy.

The team placed him on injured reserve on Wednesday with a calf injury. They did so with a "minor-injury designation", which means its less than a six week injury. When Merriman is healthy, the team has to release him.

This will surely end Merriman's tumultuous six-year run in San Diego. He was the AP Rookie of the Year in 2005, and a first-team All Pro in 2006. Merriman has never truly rebounded from reconstructive surgery in 2008.

At the time, there was some concern Merriman's career could be over. He returned in 2009, but hasn't looked like the same guy during the times he's been healthy enough to play. Merriman only has five tackles in three games this season after missing much of training camp for a misguided holdout.

Merriman will find work again, but he's not close to getting a big contract until he proves he can be healthy and productive again.

The jets should make a push for him, hes young, he doesnt have the leverage to demand a big contract, signing him could relieve us from drafting an OLB in the next draft. Jason Taylor will likely only play one year here, and we need some youth in the pass rush. We have taken the players San Diego has discarded as trash and turned them into treasure in LT and Cro, imagine what Merriman could do in Rex's system.

Ultimately its Merriman's choice on where he signs, but I kind of think he wont want to go to new england where they mocked him imitating his sack dance on the mid field logo after beating the chargers in 2006 divisional playoffs.

NE needs an OLB, as crable and the other guy they drafted hasn't exactly lived up to expectations. I wouldn't be surprised to see this.

The thing that irks me is that there's this big assumption that Merriman is done by fans. Unless his injury is much worse than I've heard it is, he's probably going to come back to be a decent player. The guy's only like 25-26...no doubt the injury f*cked him up...but finished him? Doubtful. I really hope we make a push for him...veteran OLBers make this D go because developing them takes a while...except for ILBs...I feel like they don't take as long.

BUT I'M PRACTICING! I just want it to be right again...:shame:

Only Revis has the card that lets you restore your hammy on a day to day basis!

Now go bash some trolls, and silence the mob, maybe then we can be friends again.

The jets should make a push for him, hes young, he doesnt have the leverage to demand a big contract, signing him could relieve us from drafting an OLB in the next draft. Jason Taylor will likely only play one year here, and we need some youth in the pass rush. We have taken the players San Diego has discarded as trash and turned them into treasure in LT and Cro, imagine what Merriman could do in Rex's system.

Ultimately its Merriman's choice on where he signs, but I kind of think he wont want to go to new england where they mocked him imitating his sack dance on the mid field logo after beating the chargers in 2006 divisional playoffs.

If we did go after him, along with NE, I think we'd have the advantage. I don't think anyone is jumping to NE to win a super bowl anymore.

This guy is a shell of a 1st rd player...as much as I loved Lights Out, the lights are out in his career. Some team will overpay him and he'll be a JAG on whereever he lands. I do see him taking a considerable pay cut this year to sign with a SB contender. Enter us into the discussion if we have any injuries, NE or Baltimore.

*Sends BKJet pics of penis*

Better yet, send him some pics of DLJ's thingie. I remember he has a thing for bi ladies.

Actually I can’t see this happening. Wasn’t he involved with Woody’s deceased daughter’s Fiance’ ? That might be to much for Woody to handle

+1

Better yet, send him some pics of DLJ's thingie. I remember he has a thing for bi ladies.

Actually I can’t see this happening. Wasn’t he involved with Woody’s deceased daughter’s Fiance’ ? That might be to much for Woody to handle

I have enough DLJ thingie pics, thank you.

And if that was a thingie, damn that's some good work right there!

We should sign him. Look at San Diego's track record of cutting people:

Drew Brees

LT

Cromartie

Soon they will add probably V-Jack and Merriman to that list. What a laughable team.

Very true. AJ Smith can spot good talent...but his track record as of late has been not knowing when to not let them go. I say we just automatically put a bid on every player he drops just on history alone.

Very true. AJ Smith can spot good talent...but his track record as of late has been not knowing when to not let them go. I say we just automatically put a bid on every player he drops just on history alone.

While I agree we should go after any Charger deemed unfit for the team, Smith has only let go of guys because he has their [cheaper] replacements waiting.

Merriman has English...LT has Matthews/Sproles...Brees was let go for the best under 30 QB in the league (IMO)...Cromartie for Cason...

I don't see Merriman as finished...at all. Not at 26 because of one knee injury and a supposed lack of muscle juice.

He kinda tore his ACL after that....unless there's properties from the steroids that only a select few know about that might explain it.

But, the steroid factor you're okay with? Listen, whether it's roids, knees or whatever...the guy isn't the same and I for one, don't want him. That's all I'm saying.

While I agree we should go after any Charger deemed unfit for the team, Smith has only let go of guys because he has their [cheaper] replacements waiting.

Merriman has English...LT has Matthews/Sproles...Brees was let go for the best under 30 QB in the league (IMO)...Cromartie for Cason...

I don't see Merriman as finished...at all. Not at 26 because of one knee injury and a supposed lack of muscle juice.

Agreed, but I would imagine if he had any idea LT still had this much in his tank he wouldn't have let him go. Or maybe he did and just decided to let him go regardless.

If Merriman is capable of putting up 10+ sacks, I highly doubt they'd let him go, especially when English hasn't done much to prove he's ready to take the reigns. If merriman could come here and play at a high level, i'm sure Smith would be kicking himself in the a$$. They're just lucky shaun phillips is playing well.

Archived