Shaun Rodgers released

BroadwayJ667

Zac Jackson of FOX Sports Ohio reports that the Browns have released DL Shaun Rogers.

Jackson reports that the Browns have also cut RT John St. Clair, LB Eric Barton, TE Robert Royal, and LB David Bowens. Combined, their 2011 salaries were scheduled to add up to $13.84 million. Rogers managed just two sacks in 2010 while seeing a major decline in playing time. He turns 32 in March.

Zac Jackson of FOX Sports Ohio reports that the Browns have released DL Shaun Rogers.

Jackson reports that the Browns have also cut RT John St. Clair, LB Eric Barton, TE Robert Royal, and LB David Bowens. Combined, their 2011 salaries were scheduled to add up to $13.84 million. Rogers managed just two sacks in 2010 while seeing a major decline in playing time. He turns 32 in March.

Sign the Beast?

What about Bowens? He was always able to play all LB positions. He would be great depth. I remember when Harris went down, Bowens stepped in and played pretty well. I would much rather let JT go who is pretty much a 1 trick poney and bring in Bowens who is good at everything but great at nothing.

LBs.

Ends are supposed to push the pocket in a 3-4. LBs get the sacks. Unfortunately, all of our LBs have sucked at pass rushing for the past five years.

The NYJETS utlize many defensive schemes where the LBs are in coverage. Did ya notice our LBs getting torched because of it without a pass rush or at least some pressure on the QB.

The whole thing is probably moot (mute in JN speak) because the Redskins are already pouncing to replace Haynesworth and the Texans and Cowboys are probably interested. This is the kind of guy I would expect the Jets to kick the tires on. May have value, but not to bid high. I'd rather get younger and they will probably have some info from Rob Ryan. Tannenbaum usually looks at everybody, so I trust he'd look at Rogers.

What about Bowens? He was always able to play all LB positions. He would be great depth. I remember when Harris went down, Bowens stepped in and played pretty well. I would much rather let JT go who is pretty much a 1 trick poney and bring in Bowens who is good at everything but great at nothing.

I do not co-sign this one. Bowens was okay, but we want youth which is a decent reason to avoid Rogers. Good at everything and great at nothing pretty much describes Pace and Thomas to a tee.

A buddy of mine says the NYJETS will say no way. SR couldnt play for Rob Ryan what makes anyone think he will play for Rex Ryan.

He didn't get cut because he can't play. He got cut because he doesn't play well enough to justify $6M. Rob Ryan doesn't coach there anymore which may be part of the reason he has been cut. Rob Ryan is the DC in Dallas and they are one of the places Rogers is most likely to end up. Here is what Rob Ryan has to say about Rogers:

"He is a tremendous physical specimen," Ryan said of Rogers per the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "He is so athletic for a big man. I've been around the best in football. I've been around Warren Sapp in college. . . . I coached Jamal Williams and Kevin Williams, a couple of decent All-Pro defensive tackles. . . . Shaun Rogers is tremendous. Absolutely tremendous. Any system that he plays in, he is going to be dominant."
My link

Really sounds like he "couldn't play for Rob Ryan".

visajets, on 10 February 2011 - 07:45 PM, said:

Thats a great run stopping line. Who rushes the passer?

Same people that were supposed to before. LBs. Some people see Rogers as a rotational guy that can rush the passer but isn't as stout against the run as he used to be. He was hurt most of the year, started on the PUP coming off a broken leg and battled ankle and hip injuries.

The NYJETS utlize many defensive schemes where the LBs are in coverage. Did ya notice our LBs getting torched because of it without a pass rush or at least some pressure on the QB.

Yes. They also rush DBs constantly. Do you complain that Eric Smith didn't have more sacks? Three guys rush generally to 2gap - they aren't supposed to be Gastineau. The players they want are generally too big to be natural pure pass rushers. The naturaly pass rushers should be OLBs. The DEs you are talking about replacing are Pryce and Gholston - which is fine, but replacing Jenkins/backing up Pouha is much more important.

Because you say so?

To hear Rex talk, you'd think Gholston could play. Then he benches him. Guess which matters.

He is expected to visit Dallas where Rob Ryan is DC. Does that sound like Rob thought he couldn't play? I never heard Rex say anything anywhere near that level with Gholston. Maybe he can't, I don't give a **** either way, but I'm fine with no-names.

Here are quotes of Rex "raving" about Gholston:

"We hope he can be a great player," Ryan said. "A lot of us aren't sure, but we're going to find out. If he can't do it for me and for this team, he's never going to do it."

‘‘Generally by the third year, you got to see a guy really making strides and I expect Vernon to really make strides this year.’’
It was up and down,” said Ryan of Gholston’s performance. ”He played well at times.

”Again, there were other times where I would’ve liked to see him jump on a pile — not necessarily a pile, but before a guy goes down go at him. Get you a piece of him.

“That’s something that I think he’ll understand. That’s what we want. We want to have some gang tackling and just swarming piles.”

This is the most excited I've ever been about Vernon Gholston," Ryan said after watching Gholston explode past opposing linemen in morning drills. "Whatever he had for breakfast, he needs to eat (more). That was big time

Here is the worst I could find by Rob about Rogers:

"He doesn't need to be in front, doesn't want to be in front," Ryan said. "There are some guys that like to be in front, if you dont know theyll tell you about it. There are guys like that and coaches like that, but some people like to sit back. He (Rogers) does that. He likes his teammates to get all the glory.

"I just wish we had him where he could practice all the time, where he could be healthy. It would be great to see because he really is a dominating force. He's won games for us just by his effort."

Archived