I'll Give You Guys 3 Guesses As To What REX Guaranteed Today

SoFlaJets

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True to form, Jets coach Rex Ryan issues a Super Bowl guarantee

Published: Thursday, February 24, 2011, 5:49 PM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

INDIANAPOLIS -- Rex Ryan stepped to a podium in the stadium where Super Bowl XLVI is scheduled to be played in less than a year, and -- surprise -- issued another championship guarantee for next season.

If there is a next season, of course.

“I believe this is the year that we’re going to win the Super Bowl,” Ryan said at Lucas Oil Stadium during the annual Scouting Combine. “I thought we’d win it the first two years. I guarantee we’ll win it this year.”

News? Not by definition. The Jets coach has built his reputation on speaking, promising and predicting a Super Bowl ring since he was hired by the organization in 2009.

Today, as his team scouted its next class of incoming players, amidst the haze of labor uncertainty, Ryan used that loaded ‘G’ word -- guarantee -- as he once again set his team up on a title quest. He was not asked a question. It was part of his opening statement.

When asked if the refrain becomes tired without delivering on it, Ryan bristled slightly.

“Why wouldn’t I be positive?” he said. “ ‘Hey guys, I’ll be happy if we’re 8-8.’ That’s the wrong guy standing in front of you. I’m always going to say the same thing. I believe we can be champs. Why wouldn’t I believe it? Somebody tell me why I shouldn’t believe that we deserve to be a champion.”

Ryan listed the ways in which he believes his team can be and will be different next year. For each of the past three seasons, including his last one as the Ravens defensive coordinator, Ryan has been eliminated one win from the Super Bowl.

He cited red zone offense and defense. He called for fan involvement. He stressed a better home record and success in the division, paving an easier path to the title game.

As a practical matter, of course, the Jets’ plans may be put on hold if no new collective bargaining agreement is reached by March 4. A potential lockout looms, meaning free agents could not be signed and players would not be permitted at the team facility, among other hurdles.

That was one matter on which Ryan was somewhat mum. “We have no excuses,” he said, as he often does. The Jets, he added, have a plan for every scenario.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum said the Jets still do not plan to sign any of their 17 impending free agents before a new CBA is reached. They franchise tagged linebacker David Harris, but do not plan to use the transition tag, he said. He also indicated they will make decisions on some players’ futures -- namely Vernon Gholston, who could get cut, and Jason Taylor, who may retire -- before the league year ends next week.

The one certainty of this offseason is that there will be a draft, and Ryan acknowledged that the Jets’ selections could be weighted to defense. Tannenbaum called the scouting work here at the Combine “the first step to putting the Steelers loss behind us.”

Ryan, who issued his first Super Bowl promise for 2011 at a Knicks game earlier this month, is also looking forward.

“Another reason I made that statement that we’ll win it this year is I’m going to see if I can will a championship,” Ryan said. “I’m going to try to will a championship. Anything it takes.”

I love that fat bastard.

We should be glad we have a coach who tries to win the SB EVERY year...

x 2 + 1's

Serious question though, is the first time he actually said "I guarantee"? I feel like I've heard him say, "we are going to win the Super Bowl"...but dont recall him actually saying "guarantee".

Those who do not like Rex's talking please direct your anger about the Jets' past failings to one of the following sources: Dick Kotite, Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini or one of the many other terrible coaches the team has had in franchise history. Rex is not the man to whom your ire should be drawn. Telling him to "stfu" is futile because he never will. He's a winner and will one day soon be a champion.

Those who do not like Rex's talking please direct your anger about the Jets' past failings to one of the following sources: Dick Kotite, Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini or one of the many other terrible coaches the team has had in franchise history. Rex is not the man to whom your ire should be drawn. Telling him to "stfu" is futile because he never will. He's a winner and will one day soon be a champion.

Maybe you and Rex should be read a bed time story called the boy who cried wolf.

Archived