Holmes Leaning Towards Jets?

Mogglez

Holmes Leans towards Re-signing with Jets

Jets receiver Santonio Holmes said he's taking a wait-and-see approach to free agency, which has been delayed because of the labor dispute between the league owners and players' union. But he said he'd likely end up staying in a Jets uniform if the price is right. "[Whether I re-sign] has everything to do with the team," he said. "If the Jets want me back, I'm pretty sure they're gonna do what they have to do to get me back," he said. Holmes, who earlier this spring did mission work in Africa with the Starkey Hearing Foundation, has said he's seeking a multi-year deal after having been traded to the Jets last year.

—Chris Herring

Q: Who would take half of their market value in order to play for Rex?

A: Everybody. Read it in SI. They had a bar graph and everything.

I don't get how you can dislike Rex so much after what he has done for us. I don't get how you can dislike Mike T so much after what he has done for us, either. I really don't man. Are you just a troll or what? Please explain.

Holmes is leaning toward the team that pays him the most money.

Absolutely. All this means at this point is that if another team offers him more, he might turn around and go to the Jets, "give me this much and I'll stay". All things being equal, he'd probably stick with the Jets, but if another team offers him a cent more that's all it will take.

I will never blame a professional player for wanting to make as much as he can and as soon as he can.

But this sounds so much like Revis last season!

I do not think the JETS can afford to do that and keep Braylon Edwards as well.

its funny because in the "real world" nobody blames the average joe for trying to make as much money as he can, but when a professional ball player wants to make more it's scummy. The only difference is the amounts of money

Holmes is leaning toward the team that pays him the most money.

He might not go to the highest bidder if the highest bidder is a perennial loser.

Might be different, too, if he didn't feel slighted about his use (right or wrong) in the AFC Championship.

I'd sign Braylon first, anyway.

I don't get how you can dislike Rex so much after what he has done for us. I don't get how you can dislike Mike T so much after what he has done for us, either. I really don't man. Are you just a troll or what? Please explain.

? I love Rex, especially the new and improved Quiet Rex. Mike T, meh. My post wasn't making fun of either of them, just the idea that free agents will flock here for anything other than the almighty dollar.

its funny because in the "real world" nobody blames the average joe for trying to make as much money as he can, but when a professional ball player wants to make more it's scummy. The only difference is the amounts of money

I don’t think a player trying to get the maximum money he can makes him scummy, but the NFL is a lot different then your average Joe taking his briefcase and going off to his cubicle for the next 45 years.

Even the lowliest PS player in the league is in the top 1% of people in the world who do his job. Otherwise he doesn’t get a job. Not so with your Cubicle warrior.

One of the things that motivates players to achieve that is the desire to win. Players often take less money toward the end of their careers for the opportunity to win it all. Even some players will do it in the middle of their careers. I suspect Edwards in in that category.

He got paid lots of money to play in Cleveland. He hated it. He seems to really like NYC, and seems to like the Jets and wants to come back. I think it is very possible he will take less then what his fair market value is to stay out of the Buffalo’s and Cleveland’s of the league.

I don’t think Holmes will

I think most of the time the player goes to whoever offers the most money.

Sure, you sometimes see the old vet who signs for less with a team more likely to win a championship, but that only happens when the guy figures it's his last year or two. And even then, it doesn't happen often.

Really? How much did you pay for my jersey and how much were the PSLs and tickets to watch me run an operations center? The difference is greater than simply money.

Archived