The Jets "fab" 5 on their wish list

Kentucky Jet

On the Jets' radar: Five to watch

April, 27, 2011 Apr 271:59PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiWe started this more than a month ago -- our five-man watch list for the Jets -- and here we are on draft eve. This is our final list, realistic possibilities for the Jets at No. 30 (based on information culled from the scouting community and people familiar with the Jets' thinking).

The list doesn't include OLB Ryan Kerrigan (Purdue) or OT Gabe Carimi (Wisconsin), both of whom would be strong considerations if they unexpectedly fell to the bottom of the first round. The list also doesn't have WR Jon Baldwin (Pitt), who would be my sleeper pick for the Jets.

Here's the Fab 5:

• Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor, 6-3, 334 -- The big fella would fill a need and he has late-1, early-2 value, according to the teams I've talked to. (ESPN's Scouts, Inc. rates him as the 26th prospect in the draft.) Taylor has weight and foot issues, but nothing that should scare teams away at the bottom of the first round. There's a pretty good chance he'll still be on the board for the Jets.

• Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona, 6-2 1/2, 263 -- The Jets absolutely love his motor and character. He's No. 27 in the Scouts, Inc. rankings. A couple of concerns: He has very little experience at linebacker (he was the RDE in Arizona's defense) and he inflated his stock with strong post-season workouts. His 10-yard split (1.54 seconds) made him a lot of money. If the Jets think they can get him by trading down, they could lose him to the Packers (No. 32).

• Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA, 6-2 1/2, 254 -- Ayers' advantage over Reed is that he has been trained as an OLB. In fact, he had only 100 snaps last season as a rusher from the down position, one scout told me. Ayers' 40 time at the combine (4.8) was a disappointment, but he plays faster than his stopwatch time, according to scouts. The concern is that he's too light and won't be able to set the edge as a perimeter player on running downs. Ayers, ranked No. 34 by Scouts, Inc., should be available at 30.

• Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple, 6-4, 315 -- It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a team that plays a 3-4 defense to take a 5-technique end in the first round ... unless the team thinks he can play more than one position and can play all three downs. Wilkerson has that kind of versatility, the ability to slide inside in the nickel and rush as a DT. Obviously, the level of competition in college is a concern, but the Linden, N.J., product has the size and athleticism to develop into a starting player. His stock is all over the map. Wilkerson, ranked No. 24 by Scouts, Inc., could go anywhere from 18 (Chargers) to 32 (Packers).

• Jabaal Sheard, DE/OLB, Pitt, 6-3, 264 -- Here's a name you haven't seen linked to the Jets. Sheard is similar to Reed in that he played DE in college and would have to make the conversion to OLB, but he's bigger than Reed and may have more athleticism. Sheard was the Big East Defensive Player of the Year, and he plays with the tenacity you want in a pass rusher. He was involved in an off-campus assault last summer -- a possible red flag. Sheard has high-2 value, so he probably would be on the board if the Jets decided to trade down. He's ranked No. 35 by Scouts, Inc.

On the Jets' radar: Five to watch

April, 27, 2011 Apr 271:59PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiWe started this more than a month ago -- our five-man watch list for the Jets -- and here we are on draft eve. This is our final list, realistic possibilities for the Jets at No. 30 (based on information culled from the scouting community and people familiar with the Jets' thinking).

The list doesn't include OLB Ryan Kerrigan (Purdue) or OT Gabe Carimi (Wisconsin), both of whom would be strong considerations if they unexpectedly fell to the bottom of the first round. The list also doesn't have WR Jon Baldwin (Pitt), who would be my sleeper pick for the Jets.

Here's the Fab 5:

• Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor, 6-3, 334 -- The big fella would fill a need and he has late-1, early-2 value, according to the teams I've talked to. (ESPN's Scouts, Inc. rates him as the 26th prospect in the draft.) Taylor has weight and foot issues, but nothing that should scare teams away at the bottom of the first round. There's a pretty good chance he'll still be on the board for the Jets.

• Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona, 6-2 1/2, 263 -- The Jets absolutely love his motor and character. He's No. 27 in the Scouts, Inc. rankings. A couple of concerns: He has very little experience at linebacker (he was the RDE in Arizona's defense) and he inflated his stock with strong post-season workouts. His 10-yard split (1.54 seconds) made him a lot of money. If the Jets think they can get him by trading down, they could lose him to the Packers (No. 32).

• Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA, 6-2 1/2, 254 -- Ayers' advantage over Reed is that he has been trained as an OLB. In fact, he had only 100 snaps last season as a rusher from the down position, one scout told me. Ayers' 40 time at the combine (4.8) was a disappointment, but he plays faster than his stopwatch time, according to scouts. The concern is that he's too light and won't be able to set the edge as a perimeter player on running downs. Ayers, ranked No. 34 by Scouts, Inc., should be available at 30.

• Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple, 6-4, 315 -- It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a team that plays a 3-4 defense to take a 5-technique end in the first round ... unless the team thinks he can play more than one position and can play all three downs. Wilkerson has that kind of versatility, the ability to slide inside in the nickel and rush as a DT. Obviously, the level of competition in college is a concern, but the Linden, N.J., product has the size and athleticism to develop into a starting player. His stock is all over the map. Wilkerson, ranked No. 24 by Scouts, Inc., could go anywhere from 18 (Chargers) to 32 (Packers).

• Jabaal Sheard, DE/OLB, Pitt, 6-3, 264 -- Here's a name you haven't seen linked to the Jets. Sheard is similar to Reed in that he played DE in college and would have to make the conversion to OLB, but he's bigger than Reed and may have more athleticism. Sheard was the Big East Defensive Player of the Year, and he plays with the tenacity you want in a pass rusher. He was involved in an off-campus assault last summer -- a possible red flag. Sheard has high-2 value, so he probably would be on the board if the Jets decided to trade down. He's ranked No. 35 by Scouts, Inc.

I would be happy with any of them!

If I had to rank them it would be:

1. Wilkerson

2. Reed

3. Ayers

4. Taylor

5. Sheard

id be happy with 4 of the 5 names there

I'd be more than ok with Martez Wilson or Allen Bailey

also we haven't talked about him much but im also rooting for Ras-I Dowling from Virginia.

he's got a sh*t-ton of interceptions (more than any other DB) and his durability is only reason why not top 20 pick.

id be happy with 4 of the 5 names there

I'd be more than ok with Martez Wilson or Allen Bailey

also we haven't talked about him much but im also rooting for Ras-I Dowling from Virginia.

he's got a sh*t-ton of interceptions (more than any other DB) and his durability is only reason why not top 20 pick.

Seven straight first round picks don't lie.

Anybody willing to lay 2:1 I can't have bitonti projecting Kenrick Ellis at 30 by this time tomorrow?

Did you mean, "In lieu of doing any actual legwork, it looks like Cimini googled 'Mock draft 2011' and, after sifting through about four different websites, posted the 5 most commonly mentioned names"?

Especially when our guy here can give you odds based on evidence and logic.

But Cimini aside, even at 30 that reads like a pretty drab 5. (HEY HEY!)

if these are our choices the only one worth a 1st is ayeers..

sheard is a 4-3 de bullrusher.. no need for him because we still have de's

phil taylor eats up double teams but to be honest our run defense is pretty stout, he doesn't get a great surge up the middle, especially if double teamed, so the guys we have now can do about the same thing in passing situations

wilkerson is just flexible, he can do a lot of things but thats not the kind of guy we need at that pick

and brooks reed is all motor, which i like, but i dont think he has the wiggle to be a great rusher... you can't speed rush every play... and he doesnt know how to drop into coverage

of the stuff ive watched with ayeers.. he gets by, by out-athleting people.. like most of his blocks shedding is either him just avoiding/ jumping out of the way, or stepping back instead of meeting force with force, so i dont think hes necessarily an every down lb... but as an edge rusher.. he's pretty nasty, quick first step.. has good juke moves, good hands... his pass drops are a little lazy

but of all those "fab 5" i like ayeers, taylor, and then reed in that order

.... but i still think we should go rahim moore, i dont think any of these guys are so head and shoulders above the higher round guys that we should feel pressed to haaaave to fill a need

I can't see Ayers being the guy. Almost every write-up on him includes the word "soft" or "underachiever." If any of that's true, you'd expect Rex to turn up his nose.

Small, slow and soft? Sounds perfect!

Did you mean, "In lieu of doing any actual legwork, it looks like Cimini googled 'Mock draft 2011' and, after sifting through about four different websites, posted the 5 most commonly mentioned names"?

He didn't google sh*t. He used "Scouts Inc", ESPN's ratings. Then he just listed front 7 guys from 24-34.

finally someone else on the bandwagon. I thought I was the only guy for the past month

I know they said he had an assault charge, but I'd like our LB's to be a little violent after having that cream-puff Gholston on the team for three years. I think they should stay away from the underachievers. Go for the high motor, high effort guys all day long. To Hell with the pansies.

Seven straight first round picks don't lie.

Anybody willing to lay 2:1 I can't have bitonti projecting Kenrick Ellis at 30 by this time tomorrow?

I make alot of message board posts

I have 1 mock draft. And only 1 Jets projection at a time.

Today it's Martez Wilson. It probably won't happen but that's my guy right now.

You did bail on Brooks Reed like he was radioactive, buddy. :lol:

around 2 weeks ago i came to the realization that the Jets don't want a college DE to convert to OLB.

that conversion is one of the riskiest picks a team can make in rd1. it's up there with picking a QB.

at least Qbs play QB in college

that's the appeal of Ayers (and Wilson) they would be DE at better schools but their defenses sucked so they've been playing everywhere. They are DE that already converted.

around 2 weeks ago i came to the realization that the Jets don't want a college DE to convert to OLB.

that conversion is one of the riskiest picks a team can make in rd1. it's up there with picking a QB.

at least Qbs play QB in college

Holy Christ! What happened to bring on this breakthrough? What about DeMarcus Ware, Matthias Kiwanuka, etc? I think it can be done if the guy can move like a small forward, but those guys are rare. I think Jabaal Sheard moves like an OLB, myself.

Btw, you know who Reed reminds me if this year? Robert Ayers, whom the Broncos are trying to convert. Looks like a brutal pick now.

Holy Christ! What happened to bring on this breakthrough? What about DeMarcus Ware, Matthias Kiwanuka, etc? I think it can be done if the guy can move like a small forward, but those guys are rare. I think Jabaal Sheard moves like an OLB, myself.

Kiwi sucks balls through a garden hose. note you only came up with 2 names and one of em sucked badly. Many 3-4 OLB come out of nowhere like Harrison, Wake, etc.

if you want to know what happened... i'll tell you... true story i was making my mock a couple weekends ago and thought I was done. I took a nap. i woke up 2 hours later and realized that my pick (brooks reed to the Jets) was not what Tanny wanted. It was what I wanted. If it were up to me i'd take him. But it's not up to me. Tanny is an accountant/lawyer he's not perfect but he's also not going to make the same mistake twice. taking Brooks Reed or other such De is inviting another gholston. We can sit here and pretend that Gholston would be great if he only wanted to try harder but it's not just that. He did not fit this defense.

Kiwi sucks balls through a garden hose. note you only came up with 2 names and one of em sucked badly. Many 3-4 OLB come out of nowhere like Harrison, Wake, etc.

if you want to know what happened... i'll tell you... true story i was making my mock a couple weekends ago and thought I was done. I took a nap. i woke up 2 hours later and realized that my pick (brooks reed to the Jets) was not what Tanny wanted. It was what I wanted. If it were up to me i'd take him. But it's not up to me. Tanny is an accountant/lawyer he's not perfect but he's also not going to make the same mistake twice. taking Brooks Reed or other such De is inviting another gholston. We can sit here and pretend that Gholston would be great if he only wanted to try harder but it's not just that. He did not fit this defense.

:lol: I'm picturing you waking up on an Oriental rug with a Walkman on listening to Creedence.

Archived