Our new NT - Kenrick Ellis

Kentucky Jet

How the hell do you draft a guy that's on trial for felony assault? There must be some kind of major sanction if he failed to make this known.

They knew about it. And are you really asking this question? If someone is on trial for something it's public record. How many felony trials have you known that have been able slip by a background check?

The Jets must have an idea of what he's facing.

He's from Jamaica for god's sake! Isn't asking him not to stoke the weed now and then tantamount to religious persecution? That's just downright wrong.

actually jamaica is really trying to make weed a religious rite so to speak. they haven't done it because the usa is against it and they have close economical ties with us. can you imagine how much money we could make if it was legal and taxed, how our jails would be cleaned up, and how many petty drug dealers would be off the streets? Is it really worse then drinking? and most people that don't do it now aren't going to do it if they legalized it.

Even if he walks, he'll probably face a suspension from the league, no?

He already served his suspension. Last year's season opener. At Hampton.

How the hell do you draft a guy that's on trial for felony assault? There must be some kind of major sanction if he failed to make this known.

They knew about it. And are you really asking this question? If someone is on trial for something it's public record. How many felony trials have you known that have been able slip by a background check?

No! No! No! The Jets scouts don't bother to read Scouts Inc. and Pro Football Weekly. Only internet geeks reading month old reports have this sensitive information.

What do you suppose they did? Run their trial simulator software? Offer the prosecutor a kickback?

We added like 660 pounds to our d-line with 2 picks. That's a lot of beef!

Rex Ryan has been known to blitz a lot on passing downs. Maybe there's a realization on Rex Ryan's part that blitzing every passing down does not work any more. That's how Peyton Manning threaded us in AFCG game. The defense needs to have a more consistent 4 man rush. And doing a lot of that won us the game against the Pats. And to that end these are 2 really solid picks by the JETS.

We added like 660 pounds to our d-line with 2 picks. That's a lot of beef!

Rex Ryan has been known to blitz a lot on passing downs. Maybe there's a realization on Rex Ryan's part that blitzing every passing down does not work any more. That's how Peyton Manning threaded us in AFCG game. We need to have a more consistent 4 man rush. And doing a lot of that won us the game against the Pats. And to that end these are 2 really solid picks by the JETS.

These fat ****s don't really help the pass rush. They take up space so that the blitz can get through. I expect no change whatsoever in defensive philosophy and really, based upon the success they have, I'm glad.

The Greg Hardy of this year's draft in that he was my favorite player for the Jets to draft (any round) all offseason. He was literally in every Jet mock I made. This guy has stud potential, and could be more key than Wilkerson to this.

The Ngata to Wilkerson's Trevor Pryce (personally he's more Ty Warren, but no one cares).

Late Friday night Kenrick Ellis, the New York Jets third round pick, addressed the media.  Here is the transcript courtesy of the Jets.

On general thoughts on being drafted by the Jets…

I’m just happy to be a Jet.

On being a third round pick…

I was kind of surprised. I was hoping and praying that I would get a chance to play football. I really did not mind. I just really wanted the opportunity to play football.

On his past being a challenge…

The stuff that I got into is in the past now. I was young. I have learned from my mistakes. I was praying that hopefully I would be picked up.

On whether his pending legal matter is a concern…

That is a pending legal issue. I cannot really talk about that right now. I apologize it is (still) pending.

On if he has a pending trial…

I cannot get into it if there is a trial or anything. I’m sorry sir.

On whether he is confident his issues will be behind him…

Yes I am. I am very confident. A lot of things happened when I was younger. I am not proud of it but I have learned from it. It was a learning experience and I have learned from my mistakes.

On what happened at South Carolina…

At South Carolina, I thought I was someone I wasn’t . I was very young and immature. I was hanging out with the wrong crowd and made some decisions that drastically impacted my life. I have learned from them.

On if he is over his past…

I am human. I have made mistakes. I feel like from me making these mistakes I have learned from them and have grown as a person. I have moved on from the mistakes I have made in the past that I will never do them again. I am a different person from who I was then.

On the turning point in his life…

I am not perfect. I have made some mistakes. At a point I realized, life is too short. From everything I do to every mistake I made, I learn from it. I just try to use that to make decisions in the future and make me stronger. Given that I did make those mistakes makes me the person that I am today. Which is a better person, much smarter, and more mature.

On joining the Jets and where he fits into the defense…

I feel really excited to be a Jet. It is unbelievable. I feel that I fit in real well with the defense. I’ll play whatever position, nose (tackle) or defensive end. I feel that I will work as hard as possible to try to make the team better. The goal is to win and I want to win.

On if he is confident to take part in offseason…

I am going to do everything in my power to play.

On how he knows Marcus Dixon…

I speak to Marcus maybe once or twice a month. Just for inspiration. He’s a Hampton graduate and kind of a big brother to me. I look up to him. He’s a really good person. He’s been through a lot and gives me advice on little things to help me mature in a time I needed to mature.

On how much investigating the Jets did into his background before the draft…

They talked to a lot of people. They went back as far as high school. They talked to my high school coaches to check my reference just to see what type of person I am. I believe that by them doing that, (the Jets) know I have learned from my mistakes and that I am a hard worker. I’m just happy they spent some time (looking into me) to make me a Jet.

On what his strengths are…

I think my willingness (is my strength). I’m going to do what it takes to win.

On playing with a hurt ankle…

It was a high ankle sprain. The trainers took care of me. I had really good trainers. I just played through it. When you are on the field, your adrenaline is pumping. Everything is out the window, you just want to make plays.

On if he has family in New York…

Yes, I do have family here. I have a sister and an aunt that stayed up there so I have some family there.

On if his family will keep him out of trouble…

They will definitely help me out. Just having a place where I can go that is home and comfortable to just relax with my family. Family is always good.

di</img>di</img>

ukOkOTfXd7g

View the full article

As mentioned, Goodell can't suspend him for pre-NFL transgressions.

Under the old CBA, however, KEllis would be put into the NFL drug program which means counseling and more rigorous drug testing. But with the CBA in limbo, who knows if that will still be the case.

These fat ****s don't really help the pass rush. They take up space so that the blitz can get through. I expect no change whatsoever in defensive philosophy and really, based upon the success they have, I'm glad.

Actually, they do help the pass rush by pushing the pocket back into the QB's face.

As mentioned, Goodell can't suspend him for pre-NFL transgressions.

Under the old CBA, however, KEllis would be put into the NFL drug program which means counseling and more rigorous drug testing. But with the CBA in limbo, who knows if that will still be the case.

Do you have any thoughts on his legal situation or is there too little info?

JVOR: I trust that the Jets will employ a team of the best lawyers that money can buy that have a record of getting people who are being attacked by a bat-wielding suspect and are really acting in self defense off. I'm SURE they believe they can get him cleared or no way they draft him. The weed thing is small stuff. Also, courts look at what a person is doing and HAS been doing since the troubles started happening; does this look like a person we NEED to put behind bars because he's going to be a menace to society? In this case I think the answer is pretty clear-he's moving on and will be in a position to help himself and his family. The court will probably throw in a bunch of community service and let him walk. I'm sure the Jets know this will probably be the case.

There's too little info for me to figure out how anybody lawyer or otherwise seriously thinks he's going to get twenty years for beating some dude up.

Pouha - K. Ellis - Wilkerson

or

K. Ellis - Pouha - Wilkerson

or

Pouha - Wilkerson - K. Ellis

or

Devito - Pitoitua - Wilkerson

or

Pitoitua - Pouha - Devito

or

You get the point... lol

Nice

Pitoitua's a big boy too with some promise. He was really starting to look good in camp before he went down

I agree with Aten that its crazy to think he'd get 20 yrs.

We can speculate based on what is out there. Felony assault is rarely ever tried. It's usually plead down to community service and/or jail time less than a year. There were reports that KEllis hit the guy because he was coming after KEllis with a bat. We also know it was an altercation over a girl (aren't most of them?).

In that instance, KEllis is likely claiming the complete defense of self defense. In other words, he wasn't willing to take the plea deal offered. That's why he's going to trial.

Pitoitua's a big boy too with some promise. He was really starting to look good in camp before he went down

That's true, but it's pretty obvious to me at least that MoWilk and KEllis leapfrogged Pit, Dixon and any other back-end Dlineman the Jets have.

Unless the lockout screws up the acclimation time, the starters IMO will be DeVito, Pouha, and MoWilk with KEllis, Pit and Dixon in the rotation.

That he's not going to prison is probably academic. We're talking about literally a top ten, top five planet theory athlete. And although he went to Hampton, he's got actual plus football skills. There's the knock that he 'gets high,' which you hear about literally every DL prospect taller than 6'3" (and is in point of fact true with regard to Ellis), but he's got pass rush moves and knows how to use his hands. And he plays hard. All of this combined with the fact that he was sitting there for us at 94 makes me very concerned that this kid is serious bad news.

That's true, but it's pretty obvious to me at least that MoWilk and KEllis leapfrogged Pit, Dixon and any other back-end Dlineman the Jets have.

Unless the lockout screws up the acclimation time, the starters IMO will be DeVito, Pouha, and MoWilk with KEllis, Pit and Dixon in the rotation.

I don't know who Rex will start... but I don't think it will matter... they are all going to get PT in 3-4 and 4-3 fronts...

What else is cool: Wilkerson and Ellis are plug-and-play players--not a huge learning curve for them in the event the lockout wipes out the minicamps. If you're a skill position player getting drafted this year, you're probably looking at a redshirt 2011.

And there's also the fact that if the file were marked for anything above a misdemeanor he'd have been charged with multiple felony counts. Not that anybody wants to get into explaining that.

We can speculate based on what is out there. Felony assault is rarely ever tried. It's usually plead down to community service and/or jail time less than a year. There were reports that KEllis hit the guy because he was coming after KEllis with a bat. We also know it was an altercation over a girl (aren't most of them?).

In that instance, KEllis is likely claiming the complete defense of self defense. In other words, he wasn't willing to take the plea deal offered. That's why he's going to trial.

Damn SMC I never realized how smart a dude you are with that legal stuff-if I knew how to give rep you'd get it. Good work on the lockout and this Ellis stuff.

What else is cool: Wilkerson and Ellis are plug-and-play players--not a huge learning curve for them in the event the lockout wipes out the minicamps. If you're a skill position player getting drafted this year, you're probably looking at a redshirt 2011.

I agree with this TS...it's easier to step into a role on the line-RB used to be that way too, unfortunately the league doesn't use them the way they used to.

im stealing that plug and play line. it's absolutely true

Wow, two of the top 97 talent picked in this draft are just fat ****s ?

They are what they are. I guess Wilkerson looks pretty athletic, but they still are DTs not pass rushers.

Actually, they do help the pass rush by pushing the pocket back into the QB's face.

Yeah, I thought I addressed that. I like the picks, but I think people expecting sacks from these guys are misguided. As for letting the OLBs get sacks, I doubt either will be any short term help compared to Shaun Ellis and Jenkins. The guys we have couldn't get any sacks with them and are a year older. These picks could be sack machines, but that expectation is not why they were drafted.

And there's also the fact that if the file were marked for anything above a misdemeanor he'd have been charged with multiple felony counts. Not that anybody wants to get into explaining that.

What are the actual charges? I haven't seen anything definitive. I've heard assault and malicious wounding. Both of those should be felonies, but I'm not even sure he's charged with both. Nobody with a brain is projecting that the guy will get 20 years. He could theoretically face that long. It's not really a big deal. That would be the max for the highest charges. It's unlikely he will fact that. People often face huge sentences and do no or very little time.

Archived