Manish Mehta: Jets look to add Moss

flgreen

Jets interested in Randy Moss

BY Manish Mehta

The Jets may add a future first-ballot Hall of Famer to its wide receiving corps when the lockout is lifted. Gang Green has legitimate interest in soon-to-be free agent Randy Moss, according to sources.

The uncertainty surrounding the makeup of the team’s wide receiving corps has generated plenty of speculation in the past few months. Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith will all be unrestricted free agents if the 2010 free agency rules aren’t reinstated.

Although the organization has maintained that it would like to keep both Holmes and Edwards, it may not be financially feasible to sign two high-caliber wideouts to long-term deals. Holmes previously stated his desire to take a wait-and-see approach with negotiations. Edwards recently expressed his desire to play for the Jets perhaps at a slightly discounted rate.

Last month, there were conflicting reports over Gang Green’s level of interest in Moss. Earlier this month, Pro Football Talk reported that it heard rumblings that the 34-year-old wide receiver was on the Jets' radar.

The Jets will have more than a cursory interest in Moss if Holmes or Edwards doesn’t return, per sources.

Rex Ryan firmly believes that Moss is still a viable vertical threat. Even in the twilight of his career, he creates matchup problems. In other words, opposing defensive coordinators still game plan to stop him. Moss is apparently as motivated to prove doubters wrong as he was when the Patriots rescued him from the Raiders four years ago.

Moss may not ultimately be a Jet, but Gang Green is certainly interested in him if it loses Holmes or Edwards.

Antonio Cromartie would welcome Moss.

"I would love to have Randy Moss on Jets," Cromartie said in a tweet to the Daily News. "Much respect. Great vertical guy who has a lot left in the tank."

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Could be purely speculation....but it sure as hell seems like Braylon is a goner.

I just dont get it, all through out the offseason he's been vocal about why he likes it here and why he wants to stay. So we're going to get rid of Braylon and sign Moss? Thats ridiculous and would surely piss me off. I prefer Edwards over Holmes as well. We get rid of Braylon he will surely end up in NE or Miami.

Don’t forget the teams can’t even talk to the players yet. Any “leaks” the reporters might get are being leaked for a purpose.

I’ll be very surprised if the Jets eject Edwards and sign Moss. Holmes on the other hand not so much.

Still prefer Edwards, and giving Plax an incentive laden deal that can be voided if he just can’t play

If they sign Edwards and lose Holmes I can see this happening. Moss is a deep threat. It would open up the offense immensly.

I could see the exact opposite. Moss and Edwards are similar type receivers. Big, downfield threats. Plus, despite the rumblings on this board, all indications are that the Jets prefer Holmes over Edwards. The only thing really in Edwards corner is his public willingness to give a little hometown discount to the Jets. But if Holmes is an RFA this year, even that discount won't matter.

Moss and Edwards would not be a good tandem. Too similar.

Meh. Do not like the idea of Moss with this team. I guess he could play the mentor considering how young our receiving corp is generally.

Mentor? Are you kidding me? You really want Moss as a mentor for young players?

Pass. Big pass. Moss or Owens would set Sanchez back two years. I won't no part of either of these guys on this team.

But I really don't think the Jets are interested anyway. Probably floating these "leaks" as negotiating ploy with Edwards and/or Holmes.

At least I hope so.

I never said I want him on this team. I'm just saying that if the jets are really looking to add moss to this team they probably view him as a mentor somewhat considering his age and lack there of on the jets at the moment. Now do I really want moss on this team, hell no! Imo I think he's done.

Mentor? Are you kidding me? You really want Moss as a mentor for young players?

Pass. Big pass. Moss or Owens would set Sanchez back two years. I won't no part of either of these guys on this team.

But I really don't think the Jets are interested anyway. Probably floating these "leaks" as negotiating ploy with Edwards and/or Holmes.

At least I hope so.

I never said I want him on this team. I'm just saying that if the jets are really looking to add moss to this team they probably view him as a mentor somewhat considering his age and lack there of on the jets at the moment. Now do I really want moss on this team, hell no! Imo I think he's done.

I hear ya.

But with all due respect, anyone who would want Moss on this team as a "mentor" for anything, including anyone in Jets management, should have their head examined.

There are two reasons the Jets might be interested in Moss, and mentoring definitely isn't one of them.

1.) They believe he still has something to offer on the field.

2.) They want to keep him off the Pats.

There are two reasons the Jets might be interested in Moss, and mentoring definitely isn't one of them.

1.) They believe he still has something to offer on the field.

2.) They want to keep him off the Pats.

Agreed, but still, the blocking element is huge in the Jets offense. Revis has shut him down in the past except for 1 TD I believe.

At the respective points in their careers both Braylon and Holmes are better. You don’t want a character like Moss around a young emotional QB like Sanchez. At least I don’t.

If this happens I am going to be very disappointed.

I might be in the minority but I think this may work for one year. He really plays well when people doubt him. See after draft vs cowboys and league. See 2007 after he left Raiders.

He won't really need to know the offense because he only runs 7,8 and 9 routes. He'll tow the line especially because he'll want to make the Patriots eat it hard. Nobody on the Pats can cover him, those guys are incredibly overrated.

Initial response to Moss: Thumbs down

May, 23, 2011

May 23

4:50

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

On Monday afternoon, I posed this question on my Twitter page (@RichCimini): Would signing Randy Moss be a good move or bad move for the Jets?

Early returns: Not all that positive.

Thirty-two people replied in the first 20 minutes or so, and here's the breakdown:

Anti-Moss: 20

Pro-Moss: 8

Undecided: 4

Here's a sampling of comments:

From @Bernm: "Bad. Over-the-hill + Locker room cancer + big $ = No"

From @nadrod24: "moss has no team focus. Runs only verticals and would make sanchez force too many throws to him, mess up any offensive flow."

From @Davis_Seth: "Bad move, and somewhat dumb if they're trying to use purported interest in Moss as leverage against Edwards and/or Holmes."

From @dolan182jetsnyy: "good move. Fade pass to the back of endzone and the deep threat will be redic. Teams top corner on holmes. It a winwin situation."

From @nyjets4tw: "You can never tell with Randy Moss....if it was short low money it could be productive."

As I mentioned Sunday on my Jets blog, I don't think this would be a good move for the Jets. Some might say that Rex Ryan has been successful with players that have off-the-field issues, and that's true. See Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Antonio Cromartie. But Moss has on-the-field issues -- loses interest, doesn't block, runs primarily vertical routes, etc.

Ryan calls Moss the best vertical receiver in the game. In theory, that would be a nice complement to Holmes, Jerricho Cotchery and Dustin Keller (assuming that Edwards is the one that leaves to open a spot for Moss), but Moss's track record suggests he will become disgruntled and poison the locker room.

Brian Schottenheimer relies on versatility in his offense, asking all the receivers to play the different positions -- X, Z and slot. That, he believes, makes them harder to defend. Holmes and Edwards embraced that notion and were willing to step outside their comfort zone. Would Moss? History says no.

He was a headache and a non-producer last season, bouncing from the Patriots to the Vikings to the Titans -- and that was in a contract year, when he had plenty of motivation to score one more decent contract. That should be red flag for the Jets.

all this talk... Jets want Moss, Jets want Ocho... it's the Jets wanting to take the wind out of Holmes and Edwards' collective sails at the negotiating table. It may or may not work but I doubt any1 at Florham park really sees Moss or Ocho as an upgrade over existing talent.

True. That's where Braylon > Moss. Who knows though. Rex loves Moss, maybe he can kick him in the a$$ a bit.

if moss would take a reasonable deal, I wouldn't hate the idea. my main concern is does he still require safety help. if not, he is a net loss. if he does, he has value as a decoy you take 2-3 deep shots at per game

Moss is still capable of being a beast so I'm not against this. Plus I'm not in love with either of our fa wrs, so keeping options available is not a bad idea.

I my mind, this is all this is. They are keeping their options open. Spreading the word that this isn't impossible in case either Edwards, or Holmes wants to play hard ball money wise. They are letting them know that they will just move on with out any drama.

The Scribes are desperate for football news, and are going to play it to the max

At least Jets management are only going after "character" guys ...

Joe Walton and Eric Mangini were heavy on boy scouts, I prefer football players.

Moss is a tool, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rex Ryan could get something out of him. Has to be a part of Randy that would like to win a championship before his career is over.

Archived