ESPN: Schotty 3rd best candidate for HC spot

flgreen

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...istant-coaches

Seven NFL teams named new head coaches after last season, tapping into a pool that included experienced coordinators and relatively unknown assistants alike. The class of 2011 featured longtime candidates (Leslie Frazier, Ron Rivera). It also included a trusted position coach in Mike Munchak (Tennessee Titans) and a couple of relative hotshots in Hue Jackson (Oakland Raiders) and Pat Shurmur (Cleveland Browns).

Who will comprise the NFL's next batch of head-coaching candidates? That was the question ESPN.com hoped to answer in this week's edition of the offseason Power Rankings. We established one ground rule by eliminating any assistant who has already had a permanent head-coaching job. The idea was to develop a list that focused on the "next wave" of coaching candidates.

No less than 24 NFL assistants received at least one vote, a reflection of both the variables involved in head-coaching searches and the relative lack of national name recognition for all but the most highly regarded assistants.

Ranking the Assistant Coaches

1. Perry Fewell, Giants

2. Rob Ryan, Cowboys

3. Brian Schottenheimer, Jets

4. Russ Grimm, Cardinals

5. Dirk Koetter, Jaguars

6. Winston Moss, Packers

7. Greg Olson, Buccaneers

8. Rob Chudzinski, Panthers

9. Bill O'Brien, Patriots

10. Darren Perry, Packers

So in that vein, it was no surprise to see four well-known assistants at the top of our list, headed by New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell -- who placed first or second on six of the eight ballots. Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan finished second, followed by New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and Arizona offensive line coach Russ Grimm.

Fewell is an ideal candidate in many ways, having spent time as the Buffalo Bills' interim coach in 2009 and leading a substantial turnaround of the Giants' defense last season. Fewell interviewed for four head-coaching jobs last winter, and NFC East blogger Dan Graziano suggested that experience, along with a high profile afforded to coaches in New York, make him "the most likely guy on the list to be a head coach soon."

Just don't bother forwarding his name to AFC South colleague Paul Kuharsky, who couldn't find room for Fewell on his 10-man ballot. Kuharsky noted the Giants' poor performance in Week 2 last season against the Indianapolis Colts, during which quarterback Peyton Manning threw three touchdowns and cruised to an easy 38-14 victory.

"Certainly I'm letting one game over-influence my ballot," Kuharsky muttered. "But Fewell's plan for the Giants against the Colts last season was so bad that I could not help score him down for it. Was he not familiar with how Peyton Manning and Indianapolis operate?"

We can't cover every coach who received votes in this exercise, but let's hit some of the more interesting names that received attention.

Ranking the Assistant Coaches: How They Voted

Rk Coach Tot

DG TG PK MS KS JW BW PY

1 Perry Fewell 1 6 -- 1 2 1 2 1 63

2 Rob Ryan 3 1 1 2 5 5 5 10 56

3 Brian Schottenheimer -- 7 7 4 1 4 3 3 48

4 Russ Grimm 2 2 -- 8 -- 2 1 4 47

5 Dirk Koetter 7 3 3 6 4 -- 6 2 46

6 Winston Moss 6 8 2 9 10 3 7 6 37

7 Greg Olson -- -- 4 7 9 -- -- 5 19

8 Rob Chudzinski -- 5 -- -- -- 9 4 8 18

9 Bill O'Brien -- 4 5 -- 8 -- -- -- 16

10 Darren Perry -- -- 6 -- 3 -- 9 -- 15

Others Receiving Votes

11 Mike Zimmer 4 -- 9 -- -- 7 -- -- 13

12 Mel Tucker -- -- -- 5 -- 8 -- -- 9

13 Mike Waufle 9 9 10 -- -- -- 10 9 8

13 Todd Bowles -- -- -- 3 -- -- -- -- 8

15 Rich Biasaccia -- -- 8 -- -- -- -- 7 7

16 Mike Pettine 5 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 6

17 Kyle Shanahan -- -- -- -- -- 6 -- -- 5

17 Edgar Bennett -- -- -- -- 6 -- -- -- 5

19 Dave Toub -- -- -- -- 7 -- -- -- 4

19 Rick Dennison -- -- -- 10 -- -- 8 -- 4

21 Pepper Johnson 8 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 3

22 Pete Carmichael -- 10 -- -- -- -- -- -- 1

22 Joe DeCamillis 10 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 1

22 Keith Butler -- -- -- -- -- 10 -- -- 1

Key: DG=Dan Graziano; MS=Mike Sando; KS=Kevin Seifert; PY=Pat Yasinskas; TG=Tim Graham;

BW=Bill Williamson; JW=James Walker; PK=Paul Kuharsky

Rank: 1=10 points, 2=9 points, 3=8 points, 4=7 points, 5=6 points, etc.

Another Ryan? Deserved or not, Ryan has long been considered a loose cannon. There is little doubt about his schematic prowess, but hiring him would require a confident owner ready to make a leap of faith.

The success of twin brother, Rex Ryan, with the Jets might have softened the perception of that risk, and collectively we see Ryan on the doorstep of a job.

"Similar to Rex, Rob Ryan is good with X's and O's and has the type of outgoing personality players want to be around," AFC North blogger James Walker said. "I think both are equally important in today's NFL. Both brothers say exactly what's on their mind, and before that scared off a lot of teams. But Rex broke the ice with his success in New York and that could help Rob in the future."

Related Coverage

• Podcast: Mike & Mike debate

• Power Rankings: Wide Receivers

• Power Rankings: Running Backs

• Power Rankings: Pass-Rushers

• Power Rankings: Tight Ends

• Power Rankings: Head Coaches

• Power Rankings: Linebackers

• Power Rankings: Cornerbacks

• Power Rankings: Quarterbacks

• Power Rankings: Safeties

• Power Rankings: Owners

• Power Rankings: Helmets

• Power Rankings: Defensive players

• Power Rankings: Offensive players

• Power Rankings: Toughest Venues

The next generation: Schottenheimer has turned down more opportunities to interview for head-coaching jobs than he has actually submitted to. He has nixed requests from the Miami Dolphins and Bills in recent years, but he did interview for the Jets' job that ultimately went to Ryan. I placed him atop my ballot (he finished No. 3 overall) because I think NFL people have made up their mind that he is the kind of young and innovative assistant who can turn around their franchise. (Think: Cowboys coach Jason Garrett.)

Schottenheimer's pedigree doesn't hurt -- he's the son of longtime NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer -- and I'm not sure how closely teams will dissect the specifics of the Jets' offensive performance. Graziano, on the other hand, thinks Schottenheimer is close to coaching his way out of the golden-child image he cultivated and left him off his ballot.

"Having spent a good amount of time around that team the past couple of years, I just feel like defensive coordinator Mike Pettine is the more likely guy to end up a head coach," Graziano said. "Schottenheimer's under a ton of pressure as Ryan defers the offensive responsibilities to him. I feel like, if the offense has a bad year, he could end up in trouble or even out of a job. And given their youth at quarterback and running back and the uncertainty of their receiver situation, a bad year for the Jets' offense is possible.

"Now, he could be a genius, make chicken salad and be the next hot name eight months from now. But I think there's the potential that he may have already peaked as a hot coaching prospect and that he might not be set up to succeed in New York."

The big fella: Four years ago, Grimm thought he would be the next Pittsburgh Steelers coach. He moved to Arizona after the Steelers selected Mike Tomlin instead, and we view his status as a head-coaching candidate with wide disparity.

AFC West blogger Bill Williamson put Grimm atop his ballot, and AFC East blogger Tim Graham had him No. 2. Kuharsky and I left him off.

Williamson thinks Grimm has moved to "the top of the food chain" largely because most of his "hot-name" contemporaries have already gotten jobs. As well, Graham suggested that it will soon be Grimm's turn because he is still well-regarded throughout the league.

Personally, I couldn't get past Grimm's well-publicized gaffe after interviewing with the Chicago Bears, after which he referred to the team owners as the "McClaskey" family. I also agree with NFC West blogger Mike Sando, who ranked Grimm No. 8 and wondered: "Is he still ascending? Grimm seems content coaching the line in Arizona. He has plateaued and doesn't seem to be losing any sleep over it."

Welcome back: Unless you're a college football fan, you might not have heard of Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter. He spent six years as the head coach at Arizona State, but has drawn some quiet acclaim for his work with the Jaguars and made a strong impression while interviewing with the Denver Broncos last winter.

"In a setting where he won't have to deal with boosters and can shine for being a smart X's and O's guy with strong coaching DNA," Kuharsky said, "I think he'd do far better. He's smart and will interview quite well. He really impressed John Elway and the Broncos before losing out to John Fox's experience. St. Louis wanted him as coordinator, but Jacksonville wouldn't let him go. He's heading into the final year of his contract. How Blaine Gabbert develops early on will have a big bearing on Koetter's future."

Secret weapon: In two years, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have developed quarterback Josh Freeman into one of the better starters in the league. The man largely responsible is offensive coordinator Greg Olson, who navigated a disastrous 2009 preseason -- coach Raheem Morris promoted him in the middle of training camp after firing Jeff Jagodzinski -- and NFL teams often seek out coaches with success developing young quarterbacks.

"I think Olson deserves a ton of credit for developing Freeman so quickly," said NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas. "Freeman threw for 25 touchdowns and six interceptions in his first full season as a starter and carried an incredibly young team to a 10-6 record. I also think people need to look at what Olson did last year with rookie running back LeGarrette Blount and rookie receiver Mike Williams. He helped make them into instant stars."

Super Bowl entitlement: The Green Bay Packers were the only team to place more than one name in the top 10, as would be expected from a championship team. Assistant head coach/inside linebackers Winston Moss is at No. 6, while safeties coach Darren Perry finished No. 10. I also voted for receivers coach Edgar Bennett, who has moved over from running backs coach and is clearly being groomed for bigger things.

I'll detail my ranking of the Packers' assistants, including why I think so highly of Perry, in a future post for NFC North readers. But we'll say this for now: Moss is a strong leader who has drawn interest from the Raiders, while Perry is a disciple of Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers and his coveted 3-4 scheme.

"Having spent a good amount of time around that team the past couple of years, I just feel like defensive coordinator Mike Pettine is the more likely guy to end up a head coach,"

agreed

hard knocks helped pettine a lot

"Having spent a good amount of time around that team the past couple of years, I just feel like defensive coordinator Mike Pettine is the more likely guy to end up a head coach,"

agreed

hard knocks helped pettine a lot

Um yeah...

Pettine is leading a defense that is tops in the league with one superstar - Revis.

vs.

Schotty who has been handed a blue chip QB who works harder than any rookie QB to come out the past 5-6, Holmes, LT, Greene, Keller, Edwards, Cotchery, a top 3 offensive line, not to mention guys like Leon Washington, Thomas Jones, and I dunno Brett ******* Favre over the past few years and still he leads a mediocre offense that disappears for stretches of the season.

The investment the Jets have made in their offense compared to the defense is absurd considering the product put on the field. If another team thinks Schotty can "turn their organization around" then they can have him... Schotty is capable at best, but there are plenty of guys that can replace him that can match what he has done... and even more that can eclipse it.

Maybe Schotty would be a better HC too... give the playcalling to his own OC, and just manage the game... hahaha... I hope he ends up in our division.

Schotty will likely be a HC eventually, but his dad's reputation for teams choking in the playoffs may be working against him.

Gregg Williams DC of the Saints will probably also get a second shot as a HC. His first shot in Buffalo failed, but coaches do get recycled in the NFL.

Um yeah...

Pettine is leading a defense that is tops in the league with one superstar - Revis.

vs.

Schotty who has been handed a blue chip QB who works harder than any rookie QB to come out the past 5-6, Holmes, LT, Greene, Keller, Edwards, Cotchery, a top 3 offensive line, not to mention guys like Leon Washington, Thomas Jones, and I dunno Brett ******* Favre over the past few years and still he leads a mediocre offense that disappears for stretches of the season.

The investment the Jets have made in their offense compared to the defense is absurd considering the product put on the field. If another team thinks Schotty can "turn their organization around" then they can have him... Schotty is capable at best, but there are plenty of guys that can replace him that can match what he has done... and even more that can eclipse it.

Maybe Schotty would be a better HC too... give the playcalling to his own OC, and just manage the game... hahaha... I hope he ends up in our division.

That Brett Favre thing still cracks me up. Everyone just went on about how the guy was washed up, was too stupid to learn a complicated system like Schitty's, and that Schitty was dealt a bad hand at QB, after being saddled with Captain Comeback Checkdown. Well, we know Checkdown went and won the division the year after, and Favre had one of the best seasons of his career after leaving. A lot of posters are convinced Sanchez sucks, and if the Jets listen to that and get rid of him in favor of Schitty, I would bet anything that Sanchez would have his best year too. Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers, while not having him as their direct OC, are 2 more examples of guys that blow up after leaving the guy.

Why does this guy keep getting the benefit of the doubt? I wish he'd go replace BB actually.

Um yeah...

vs.

Rex runs the D, everyone knows that!

Archived