Prince

drago

I have been having this argument for the last few weeks about Prince Fielder. Now i know that this site is infested the money club fans...which takes my context completely out because no matter what their team will always be in contention, but if you can think back to a time where baseball was competetive between clubs, not just major clubs, you may have the insite I desire.

The Brewers are in contention for a playoff spot. This is huge for us because it rarely happens. The argument is...

Keep Prince for the whole season, getting virtually nothing for him as he hits the free-agent market...

Or...trade him before July 31, trying to get a decent replacment and hopefully replacements at both SS and 3rd. Currently we have two guys hitting around .220 at both positions and, IMO, it kills our lineup. Virtually every game Prince gets walked intentionally to get to these scrubs.

I would rather have 3 guys hitting around .280 than one at .310 and two at .220.

Am i off my rocker for wanting the crew to deal Prince during a possible playoff push?

I have been having this argument for the last few weeks about Prince Fielder. Now i know that this site is infested the money club fans...which takes my context completely out because no matter what their team will always be in contention, but if you can think back to a time where baseball was competetive between clubs, not just major clubs, you may have the insite I desire.

The Brewers are in contention for a playoff spot. This is huge for us because it rarely happens. The argument is...

Keep Prince for the whole season, getting virtually nothing for him as he hits the free-agent market...

Or...trade him before July 31, trying to get a decent replacment and hopefully replacements at both SS and 3rd. Currently we have two guys hitting around .220 at both positions and, IMO, it kills our lineup. Virtually every game Prince gets walked intentionally to get to these scrubs.

I would rather have 3 guys hitting around .280 than one at .310 and two at .220.

Am i off my rocker for wanting the crew to deal Prince during a possible playoff push?

The market for 1b is pretty saturated. Especially with Albert Pujols soon to be on the market. Fielder might be better off in the AL where he can DH some and save his body.

Problem is the team that trades for him is going to want a long term deal. If that isn't going to happen the return on the trade will be much less. I'm not sure how much of a market there is for Prince right now on the trade front. Plus a few of the teams that might want him would be in the division.

The market for 1b is pretty saturated. Especially with Albert Pujols soon to be on the market. Fielder might be better off in the AL where he can DH some and save his body.

Problem is the team that trades for him is going to want a long term deal. If that isn't going to happen the return on the trade will be much less. I'm not sure how much of a market there is for Prince right now on the trade front. Plus a few of the teams that might want him would be in the division.

it would kill me to see him in a cubs uniform but hey...i guess i could just stop watching baseball for another 8 years. It just sucks because they are finally fun to watch again and then they'll be back in the dark ages before you know it.

I don't really think they have a chance this year. They just can't match up with the bostons and new yorks of the world. it really shoudl be two completely seperate leagues...but hey, what do i know, maybe its more fun for people to know their team will always be in the playoff race.

If the Brewers were not 3 seasons removed from the playoffs I would say keep him.

However they made the playoffs a few years ago and chances they are not going to out pitch the Phillies.

So, I would say trade him.

Better get some players to replace their weak spots.

What happened to Mat Gamel.....thought he was a sure thing

we were all wishing and hoping the same thing. He has a pretty small sample size, and that was actually in right field, but his hitting was really off in the bigs.

I still have my hopes on the guy, we really need some kind of hitting to replace what Fielder does.

Like i said before, it's like watching the leagues B team out there. THey're fun to watch and i chear for them but I know it would take a brilliant stroke of luck to compete against Sportcenter's favorite squads. It's just unrealistic to expect them to beat those teams.

it would kill me to see him in a cubs uniform

Don't think that will happen.

Last thing Cubs need is another inflated long term contract.

We're already overpaying for Pena at 1b, but finally his bat has come around and his glove is decent. He could be back in 2012

Don't think that will happen.

Last thing Cubs need is another inflated long term contract.

We're already overpaying for Pena at 1b, but finally his bat has come around and his glove is decent. He could be back in 2012

I disagree bro - I'd take him in a nanosecond even if it breaks Matty's heart. He is a lot different than he appears - surprisingly quick, still young, one of the strongest guys in the game, great tude, Great D, and he would absolutely murder the ball in Wrigley - as he does when he visits. I'm really liking Pena's resurgence, but he ain't a pimple on Princes big ole butt. I hope we grab him even at 23-25MM. Matt - you're thinking the right way - I hope it works out for both of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Brewers cannot trade Prince unless they collapse the next two weeks. He just put the team on his back for a month and with Marcum, Gallardo and Grienke (ERA aside) the team has a shot to match up well in the post season. I think the Brewers struck quick on KRod so that they can address SS and 3rd the next two weeksb.

Betemit from KC and Carroll from the Dodgers are the latest rumors. Shame as McGehee and Betancourt figured to have decent to good seasons coming in. With Hart-Braun-Weeks-Fielder all they need is for those two to be semi productive and the team has a shot to go places. The KRod trade says that they are not sellers barring a 10 game losing streak.

Archived