Cromartie interview

Matt39

Tidbits- Wants to stay a Jet, loves Rex, no hometown discount. Will wait to see what happens with Nnadmi.

- Cromartie thinks holmes is bigger priority for jets than braylon. "holmes is a workaholic+a clutch player+ doesn't complain"

- cromartie lists jets, houston, tampa, seattle, dallas, jags, raiders, and arizona as potential landing spots.

I'm curious just how much Aso is going to end up signing for. Wouldn't whatever team that wants to sign him use Revis' contract as a template? Given the Revis contract and the fact that Aso is already 30, I find it hard to believe he's going to get another absurd Al Davis style contract. That is, unless someone goes out and pulls a Snyder.

I don't care if Cro stepped it up or not, he is expendable if the price is too high. Especially when you consider that there are some decent alternatives in FA this year.

So are you also saying everyone is expendable including Edwards and Holmes?

hes expendible for a lot of reasons.Just the fact he made a comment about Aso money tells you what hes thinking not to mention him giving a laundry list of teams hes looking at. The fact the Jets have a lot of FA's they need to worry about also comes into play in a big way. We made the AFC championship game with a rookie QB and without Holmes or Cromartie. If we could get Joseph and Moore for alot less than cro/holmes I would do it in a heartbeat since both will probably be less money for more player.

Indeed. If Edwards and Holmes, as well as Cro or any other player, are asking for money that doesn't allow the Jets to stay competitive at other positions... then they are expendable. Unlike most Jets fans, I don't believe we need to have superstar names at every position to win. Not now, not with Rex.

I wouldn't mind them keeping Cro, but there are other options.

To me Holmes is the no-brainer priority. Edwards would be nice, as Sanchez seems to like having a tall target with great leaping ability, but I don't see Edwards as being a guy that will make-or brake our success. No Edwards means more Keller, and I have a feeling McKnight in space will make us forget about the gripes about him from last year.

Indeed. If Edwards and Holmes, as well as Cro or any other player, are asking for money that doesn't allow the Jets to stay competitive at other positions... then they are expendable. Unlike most Jets fans, I don't believe we need to have superstar names at every position to win. Not now, not with Rex.

To me Holmes is the no-brainer priority. Edwards would be nice, as Sanchez seems to like having a tall target with great leaping ability, but I don't see Edwards as being a guy that will make-or brake our success. No Edwards means more Keller, and I have a feeling McKnight in space will make us forget about the gripes about him from last year.

Interesting summation.............So paying outlandish money to Revis,Sanchez,D-Brick and others is ok?

The same can be said for all players as they are ageing by the day. :rolleyes:

i dont think that's true. Some players work harder than others... and some players, their smarts is part of their game. Cro's game is all about his size/speed. If he loses a step he's basically worthless. Revis will be a great player for a decade or more even if they move him to safety as an old man he will be a great player still, cause he has a tremendous work ethic and great knowledge of the game.

i dont think that's true. Some players work harder than others... and some players, their smarts is part of their game. Cro's game is all about his size/speed. If he loses a step he's basically worthless. Revis will be a great player for a decade or more even if they move him to safety as an old man he will be a great player still, cause he has a tremendous work ethic and great knowledge of the game.

Football instincts....Santonio seems to have more than Braylon. Revis has more than Cro. Just things you cant teach.

Interesting summation.............So paying outlandish money to Revis,Sanchez,D-Brick and others is ok?

I believe there are a few positions you pay for, QB, C, OT and CB... but I don't think you pay your #2 CB, a #1 CB's salary. If that is what Cro wants, then he can walk. I get the impression that he wants #1 CB (on any other team) money.

I also wouldn't call the contracts given to those 3 outlandish... I'd call them par for the course. When you have the best CB in football, pay him like it. When you draft a rookie QB inside the top 8 picks, with no rookie salary cap, you are going to pay them... and any casual fan knows a good/great LT gets paid, period.

I don't care if Cro stepped it up or not, he is expendable if the price is too high. Especially when you consider that there are some decent alternatives in FA this year.

This. Who was our #2 CB for the first AFC Championship game?

We'll see. Braylon's slightly a bigger airhead, but he'll be cheaper.

But thats not it, I was shown statistical data why Braylon is a top 10 WR and why Holmes is awful.

This is far too reasonable. So I don't agree with you.

I believe there are a few positions you pay for, QB, C, OT and CB... but I don't think you pay your #2 CB, a #1 CB's salary. If that is what Cro wants, then he can walk. I get the impression that he wants #1 CB (on any other team) money.

I also wouldn't call the contracts given to those 3 outlandish... I'd call them par for the course. When you have the best CB in football, pay him like it. When you draft a rookie QB inside the top 8 picks, with no rookie salary cap, you are going to pay them... and any casual fan knows a good/great LT gets paid, period.

Hard to decifer what #1 CB money is when Revis blew that out of the water. So basically because the NYJETS paid Revis all that coin we need to shop off the scrap heap if Wilson doesnt pan out?

Agree with this, and I think the only one you could possibly even make an argument about is Revis' contract, considering what the basis for it was (one year of another player's expiring contract that was significantly higher than any other CB contract in the league). As for the other guys, I don't see how anyone could be unhappy with the contracts Brick and Mangold signed, and Sanchez got exactly what's par for the course under his circumstances and the fact is disregarding even his draft status, any time you're going after what you're pegging as your starting QB in today's NFL, it's going to cost you a sh*tload of money. There's nothing you can really do about that.

Hard to decifer what #1 CB money is when Revis blew that out of the water. So basically because the NYJETS paid Revis all that coin we need to shop off the scrap heap if Wilson doesnt pan out?

I never said anything about a scrap heap. I said, Cromartie should not get paid like a #1 on any other team. He's not worth that money, imo. Cro wasn't worth anything when he got to the Jets, and in my opinion his presence on the field can be compensated for with lesser known names, that play the position just as well as he does. This in no way says I'm content with fielding bums, as you insinuate by mentioning "shopping off the scrap heap". It does however, reveal that I do not overvalue Cromartie as a Jet just because I've seen him play for the Jets for a season - like so many fans seem to do.

The best teams in football don't pay players for what they did last year. Your comments earlier about him stepping up last year are exactly what I don't believe in... last year does nothing to justify paying him to stay if the money he wants is exorbitant.

Frankly, we had Lito Sheppard and Donald Strickland the previous season and got just as far. #2 CB is vastly over-rated as a problem area because of Revis being on the field. Our #2 CB is going to be the most picked on player on our defense every year as long as Revis is out there. Cro is good, there are lots of good players that won't be looking for an absurd payday though. If the difference between Cro and someone else is the salary cap space to pay a top 5 punter, then sign me up.

Cromartie should not get paid like a #1 on any other team. He's not worth that money, imo.

it depends on the team. I could see the Houston Texans paying him #1 money. he's a 27 year old pro bowler. You and I know that's probably a bad move but that's the market. and no matter how inconsistent Cro is, he's light years ahead of Kareem Jackson, Glover Quin and the other Texans (altho i did like their Rashad Carmichael draft pick) my point is alot of teams need a Cro, and he's not a #2. Dallas, Tampa Bay, Oakland etc. they all need #1 CB.

it depends on the team. I could see the Houston Texans paying him #1 money. he's a 27 year old pro bowler. You and I know that's probably a bad move but that's the market. and no matter how inconsistent Cro is, he's light years ahead of Kareem Jackson, Glover Quin and the other Texans (altho i did like their Rashad Carmichael draft pick) my point is alot of teams need a Cro, and he's not a #2. Dallas, Tampa Bay, Oakland etc. they all need #1 CB.

Yes, I should clarify. I do not thing he is worth paying #1 CB money to, for the Jets. If some other team want to play him to be their top CB, let them. I don't want the Jets matching #1 CB offers from other teams, to fill their #2 CB position.

Cro's game is all about his size/speed. If he loses a step he's basically worthless.

This. Cro's a genetic freak, not to mention he's also had very bad hip and knee problems in the past. That sh*t doesn't get stronger as you get older. So long as his replacement can press cover for the next year while Wilson continues to develop, I have no problem with letting him go in the interest of retaining Holmes.

Archived