Holmes has come to terms with Jets

flgreen

Braylon is in court as we speak is he not? hope they work out something for him as soon as this unfortunate legal issue is behind him, hopefully today. The judge better not be a dick and give him Jail Time.

They never get jail time and Judge Earley's cool.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Holmes left money on the table to stay, his value is already lower. Love to see him back.

Sounds like they planted the 'no hometown discount' just to get the Jets to pad their offer, which is smart and what an agent should do.

Having said that...someone pinch me that top FAs are lining up to play for the Jets for less money...

Interesting that Braylon knew before anyone else. Maybe he got the old "Braylon, we've decided to go in a different direction" call?

He's sitting there clicking refresh like the rest of us. 2:1 he's stuck at probation waiting on the sentencing report.

Time to celebrate! Did anyone really doubt that Holmes was going to be the first priority??? I know ya'll love Edwards, but this guy it critical to our future. Sanchez has one of his weapons back. If Tanny can sign Edwards and somehow pull Asamougahsdfjasllkfasf he'll be a genius, although I'm happy with Cro.

By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

Archive

The New York Jets addressed the No. 1 item on their free-agent list, coming to terms Wednesday morning with wide receiver Santonio Holmes, according to a league source.

The deal is for five years, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. By rule, Holmes isn't permitted to sign the contract until Friday.

Holmes' deal, believed to be in the $10 million-a-year range, is so big that it probably means they can't afford to re-sign Braylon Edwards, another high-profile free agent. Edwards is coming off a strong season, but the Jets prioritized Holmes because of his speed and game-changing ability.

"It was such a luxury to have both of them last year," quarterback Mark Sanchez said Tuesday. "It's almost unrealistic to have that kind of a receiving corps again."

If Edwards leaves, as expected, the Jets likely will look for a cheaper alternative to plug into the starting lineup, which means the Randy Moss speculation will heat up. Despite his baggage, and an awful 2010, Moss is expected to draw interest from the Jets. They also could check in on former Giants receiver Plaxico Burress, who is reportedly scheduled to meet with the Giants this week.

The Jets' receiving corps also includes veteran Jerricho Cotchery, coming off back surgery. Brad Smith, a free agent, has attracted several teams.

The Jets acquired Holmes from the Steelers for the modest price of a fifth-round draft pick. After several off-the-field incidents, the Steelers grew tired of his act and were willing to part with him before he entered the final year of his contract. He was only a year removed from his shining moment, a game-winning, circus catch in the final moments of Super Bowl XLIII. He was named the Super Bowl MVP.

After serving a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, Holmes made an immediate impact with the Jets, making huge plays in the final minute of three consecutive games last November. Even though he played in only 12 games, he finished with 52 receptions for 746 yards and six touchdowns.

This move isn't without risk, as Holmes is one strike away from a one-year suspension by the league. The Jets may have insisted on language in the contract that allows them to recoup bonus money in the event that he gets suspended again.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

remember the thread where 80% of Jetnation fans wanted Braylon over Holmes?

ah... good times.

And did anyone who prefered Edwards doubt that Holmes was the Jets priority? Nope. Hell, plenty of us wanted the Jets to sign both players. But by all means, continue to act like a complete a$$hole whenever you have the opportunity, despite the fact that you're possibly the single least objective poster on this entire board.

But by all means, continue to act like a complete a$$hole whenever you have the opportunity,

well, I did take the Jets fans' oath. Isn't that the first line?

despite the fact that you're possibly the single least objective poster on this entire board.

i never promised you a rose garden (or objectivity)

Im on fire today. ON FIRE!

OXsports.com’s Adam Schein is reporting it’s a five year deal, with approximately $24 million guarenteed. In addition, Schein notes that Santonio left money on the table because he “Loves the Jets and Sanchez.”

As Rich Cimini points out the Jets took care of their first priority, and now they are focused on signing Nnamdi Asomugha.

More to come…

And did anyone who prefered Edwards doubt that Holmes was the Jets priority? Nope. Hell, plenty of us wanted the Jets to sign both players. But by all means, continue to act like a complete a$$hole whenever you have the opportunity, despite the fact that you're possibly the single least objective poster on this entire board.

U MAD????

AdamSchein Adam Schein

Holmes left money on the table, per source. "He loves the jets and sanchez."

I assumed he must have. We didn't hear any reports about other teams talking to Santonio. The talk of Washington all took place before things got started. I have to say, I'm impressed. He wanted to be a Jet and got something done quickly. Surprised and impressed.

Anyone who willingly leaves money behind for the team is GOLD in my book. I love the way our team doesn't mind making sacrifices to get er done. We have a great bunch of guys. So much for the people who said Holmes would follow the money.

I assumed he must have. We didn't hear any reports about other teams talking to Santonio. The talk of Washington all took place before things got started. I have to say, I'm impressed. He wanted to be a Jet and got something done quickly. Surprised and impressed.

Nah, he's a thug turd looking for the highest bidder.

Archived