Why Asomugha Makes Sense

Doggin94it

We can talk all we want about allocating money, but no matter where you spend the money, the offense only gets better if Sanchez gets better. There's not much we can do in free agency to change that.
So you feel that signing Holmes rather than some scrub won't make the least bit of difference? Yes, it does depend on Sanchez improving, but giving him the best tools for the job is important.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ninja'd both of you, so there.

How much improvement can you expect when you downgrade his #2 weapon from Braylon Edwards to Chansi Stucky?

I mean, you'd hope a 3rd year, early 1st round QB, can succeed without two legit #1 WRs. Holmes and Braylon is a luxury too, when you're spending that kind of money on a QB. Sanchez needs to be better, and if so, the Jets will make the Super Bowl with or without Braylon.

If this was baseball and we wer the Yankees, I'd agree 100% ..

since we're not, signing Asomugha at the expense of the rest of the team is a bad idea. The opportunity cost of this move could be sanchez's progression

Report: 49ers are Jets’ main competition in Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 27, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT

Getty Images

Nnamdi Asomugha may be staying in the Bay Area.

Although the conventional wisdom that the Jets are working hard to land Asomugha remains in place, there’s a new competitor to the Jets in the competition for Asomugha’s services: The San Francisco 49ers.

Michael Lombardi of NFL Network reports that the Jets’ main competition for Asomugha right now is San Francisco, and the 49ers are in it strong.

The Houston Texans are also still in the mix, and it’s entirely possible that there’s a surprise entrant in the Asomugha sweepstakes will make an appearance. But right now, San Francisco is apparently looking like a good destination.

Adding Asomugha, the ex-Raiders cornerback who’s widely viewed as the top prize in all of free agency, would be a huge coup for the 49ers.

I mean, you'd hope a 3rd year, early 1st round QB, can succeed without two legit #1 WRs. Holmes and Braylon is a luxury too, when you're spending that kind of money on a QB. Sanchez needs to be better, and if so, the Jets will make the Super Bowl with or without Braylon.

If Sanchez is better we will make the super bowl with or without Asomugha too

If Sanchez is better we will make the super bowl with or without Asomugha too

Maybe so. But you know what? Don't kill some of us for being fans and thinking how amazing it would be to see the Jets have the greatest CB tandem of all time.

Sanchez' improvement should be the #1 priority. While he shouldn't necessarily need two #1 WR's, it's better money spent than on two #1 CB's. Especially when you consider the fact that the two #1 WR's will cost a lot less.

Either way, he needs a legit #2 WR. I don't think Cotchery or Turner or Kerley is that guy.

Report: 49ers are Jets’ main competition in Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 27, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT

Getty Images

Nnamdi Asomugha may be staying in the Bay Area.

Although the conventional wisdom that the Jets are working hard to land Asomugha remains in place, there’s a new competitor to the Jets in the competition for Asomugha’s services: The San Francisco 49ers.

Michael Lombardi of NFL Network reports that the Jets’ main competition for Asomugha right now is San Francisco, and the 49ers are in it strong.

The Houston Texans are also still in the mix, and it’s entirely possible that there’s a surprise entrant in the Asomugha sweepstakes will make an appearance. But right now, San Francisco is apparently looking like a good destination.

Adding Asomugha, the ex-Raiders cornerback who’s widely viewed as the top prize in all of free agency, would be a huge coup for the 49ers.

go_49ers_finger.gif

if nnamdi signs with another team,he might win the super bowl

if nnamdi signs with the jets,they might not win the super bowl,but he is guaranteed at least 1 thing.he and revis will hold the title of the best cb duo in the history of the nfl.period.that has got to be appealing to nnamdi

Maybe so. But you know what? Don't kill some of us for being fans and thinking how amazing it would be to see the Jets have the greatest CB tandem of all time.

Lol..

This from the same guy who bloodied many a Horatio Alger Pennington's fans faces all the years

Asomugha is simply using the Jets to drive up the price other teams will be willing to offer.

why is that? the jets obviously cant pay as much as other teams.and everybody knows that.if anything nnamdi is using other teams to drive the price up on the jets,where he truly wants to play

This makes no sense. Why do the Jets care what the 9ers or Texans pay for him? They clearly want him.

Of course the Jets want him.

I said, Asomugha is using the Jets to drive up the price other teams are willing to offer.

Example:

49ers: "Nnamdi, we really want you. We'll give you $14 million a year."

Nnamdi: "I don't know. I kinda want to go to the Jets. Rex is cool, and me and Revis are boys."

49ers: "Fine. We'll give you $16 million."

Nnamdi: "See you Friday."

Lol..

This from the same guy who bloodied many a Horatio Alger Pennington's fans faces all the years

Unfair comparison.

Pennington Sucked. Asomugha does not. He may not be the best usage of the money, but he will improve our defense. And, I don't agree that the #1 D can't be better. Unless you put up 16 shut outs, you can always be better.

Of course the Jets want him.

I said, Asomugha is using the Jets to drive up the price other teams are willing to offer.

Example:

49ers: "Nnamdi, we really want you. We'll give you $14 million a year."

Nnamdi: "I don't know. I kinda want to go to the Jets. Rex is cool, and me and Revis are boys."

49ers: "Fine. We'll give you $16 million."

Nnamdi: "See you Friday."

Every report says that he's looking to win, not just for the money,

why is that? the jets obviously cant pay as much as other teams.and everybody knows that.if anything nnamdi is using other teams to drive the price up on the jets,where he truly wants to play

He's putting it out there that he wants to play for the Jets. So other teams will need to offer him more to get him to go to their team.

Jeez...I'm glad none of you knuckleheads are my agent.

Unfair comparison.

Not really, you're advocating to be allowed to be a fan and root for something to happen that might not be in the team best intrests... like having pennington start

Pennington Sucked. Asomugha does not. He may not be the best usage of the money, but he will improve our defense. And, I don't agree that the #1 D can't be better. Unless you put up 16 shut outs, you can always be better.

Diminishing returns though.. For that kind of cash, is it better to get a little better on defense then a lot better on offense?

How many wins do we add moving from allowing 16 pts per game to 15.5?

Unless you are predicting we're entering 00 Ravens territory with this move

if nnamdi signs with another team,he might win the super bowl

if nnamdi signs with the jets,they might not win the super bowl,but he is guaranteed at least 1 thing.he and revis will hold the title of the best cb duo in the history of the nfl.period.that has got to be appealing to nnamdi

Why?

He's interested in playing here, obviously, but you think being the #2 man in the best CB duo in history is a big deal to him? Please.... He wouldn't be interested in signing here if he didn't think he could win a Super Bowl here. SF is more of a longshot in that regard, so they'll have to come up with more cash. I don't think a better CB opposite him would make much of a difference in his decision making process.

I ninja'd both of you, so there.

How much improvement can you expect when you downgrade his #2 weapon from Braylon Edwards to Chansi Stucky?

His number 2 weapon would be Cotchery. His number 3 weapon would be Keller (who, remember, was putting up all-pro numbers when he was the number 3 target in the offense those first 4 weeks, and faded once Santonio came aboard and sucked up the targets). Stuckey would be a No. 4 target (or 5, behind LT)

Not really, you're advocating to be allowed to be a fan and root for something to happen that might not be in the team best intrests... like having pennington start

Diminishing returns though.. For that kind of cash, is it better to get a little better on defense then a lot better on offense?

I'm not 100% on board with this either but for the benefit of the board can you please explain why you are against this using the most esoteric and nerdiest language possible?

Why?

He's interested in playing here, obviously, but you think being the #2 man in the best CB duo in history is a big deal to him? Please.... He wouldn't be interested in signing here if he didn't think he could win a Super Bowl here. SF is more of a longshot in that regard, so they'll have to come up with more cash. I don't think a better CB opposite him would make much of a difference in his decision making process.

Exactly.

I've seen it over and over: "We can't spend 20% of our cap on a number 2 CB". And if we are truly talking about a No. 2 CB (like Cro), or even a typical No. 1 (great CB, can cover most receivers 1 on 1, can cover elite WRs with safety help) I'd agree.

Asomugha is different. Asomugha is, like Revis, entirely capable of shutting down any WR in the league 1 on 1, without safety help. Here's what adding Asomugha to the Jets would do:

1) Maximize Revis' value. Right now, QBs have learned to avoid Revis. Revis was targeted 108 times in 2009 (7.5 times per game). Despite continuing to cover No. 1 WRs, that dropped to 56 times (in 13 games) in 2010, roughly 4 times per game. Cromartie was targeted 101 times. Putting Asomugha on the other side of Revis would force QBs to target Revis more often (and, with Revis on the other side of Asomugha, Asomugha would see more than his usual share of targets as well). The more usage we get out of Revis, the more value we get for our investment in him.

2) Maximize Our Blitz Packages. Asomugha's presence would also allow Revis to be used as a blitzer, which he is actually fairly good at. With both Revis and Asomugha on the field, Revis is in play as a blitzer, adding another wrinkle for offenses to worry about.

More, Asomugha, like Revis, does not need safety help. As such, Rex will be able to send more varied combinations of blitzers on any given play, as he will be able to rely on two CBs to entirely eliminate two WRs.

3) Maximize Our Run Defense. Similarly, because we will have two CBs who do not need safety help, we would likely play 8-in-the-box as our base defense against standard (2WR) formations, relying on a single high safety to clean up mistakes and play centerfield (a role Lowery is particularly suited for)

4) Maximize Our Pass Defense. Remember what we did to the Pats in the playoff game? Flood the intermediate zones with defenders, double receivers coming across the middle? Playing 9 on 9 makes that strategy even more useful - and even allows it to be combined with a blitzer (who would otherwise be occupied helping our No. 2 CB.

Bottom line: IMO, Asomugha makes a lot of sense for this defense, even at a significant cost. He would take the defense from very good to elite, by allowing Rex to play 9 on 9 against the league. How do you pass when your top two WRs are covered by Revis and Asomugha and your 3rd WR is double covered? How do you run, consistently, against 8 in the box?

Great post.

All morning on Boston sports radio I listed to the DJs go crazy with excitement and fear of the idea of what Rex could do with his blitzes if he had Revis / Aso... oh, that and their callers chiming in saying that Jets tampered talking about Aso and some other crap about dead money... basically cheater fans, calling the Jets cheaters... because their team is going down, while ours is going up.

How many wins do we add moving from allowing 16 pts per game to 15.5?

Unless you are predicting we're entering 00 Ravens territory with this move

I am. It would be nearly impossible to pass on the Jets - No. 1 and No. 2 WRs out of the question, No. 3 WR/TE doubled on every passing down, or zones flooded . . . So teams would need to run on us. But our run defense is already ridiculously strong and will be better for adding Asomugha given that will enable us to drop a safety into the box on running downs. The best way to attack that D would be to throw to TEs on first down . . . that's not a recipe for success for most offenses.

Archived