Todd Heap Picked up by Rex Ryan

Lupz27

Manish Menta

Guess who may be following #Patriots 2-TE blueprint? The #Jets.. Source: Veteran TE Todd Heap is in town today for visit nydn.us/8XdEF8

web • 7/31/11 7:28 AM

Todd Heap to the #Jets? Story in today's NY Daily News. Read how Rex Ryan picked up his former Ravens buddy at airport last night. #nyj

web • 7/31/11 7:30 AM

Manish Menta

Guess who may be following #Patriots 2-TE blueprint? The #Jets.. Source: Veteran TE Todd Heap is in town today for visit nydn.us/8XdEF8

web • 7/31/11 7:28 AM

Todd Heap to the #Jets? Story in today's NY Daily News. Read how Rex Ryan picked up his former Ravens buddy at airport last night. #nyj

web • 7/31/11 7:30 AM

This would be a good pick up

cool a TE with balls ... Hope he can stay healthy since thats been his only downfall.

Last time he was healthy for a long period of time he was a pro bowler. So let's hope if we get him that back stays strong.

Here is the story

http://t.co/D3ufqp8

JULY 31, 2011 7:25 AM1 COMMENT

Source: Jets roll out red carpet for Todd Heap; Rex Ryan picks up veteran TE at airport for visit to team facility Sunday

BY MANISH MEHTA

Guess who might be taking a page out of the Patriots two tight-end playbook?

With so much focus on which wide receiver the Jets will pursue in free agency, perhaps Gang Green will follow Bill Belichick’s offensive blueprint from last season. The Daily News reported in Sunday's paper that two-time Pro Bowl tight end Todd Heap is in town to visit the Jets facility in Florham Park on Sunday. The 6-5, 247-pound Heap was cut by the Ravens last week as part of several salary cap-saving moves. Heap played on the Ravens for eight seasons while Rex Ryan was on the Baltimore coaching staff.

Ryan rolled out the red carpet for the veteran tight end by picking him up at Newark Liberty International Airport Saturday night, according to a source. Ryan grabbed Heap in a bear hug before driving off in a SUV. The News has learned that the Jets haven’t made an offer to the veteran tight end yet. A deal wasn’t imminent as of Saturday night. (Full story in Sunday's edition of the Daily News).

But the 31-year-old Heap, who had 40 receptions for 599 yards and five touchdowns in 13 games last season,  would be an intriguing option alongside Dustin Keller.  The Patriots’ two-headed tight end monster of Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski thrived last season.

Maybe a Keller-Heap combination would be just as productive.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

This actually makes sense unless he's talking about big money. He would add to the ball control ground and pound aspect as well as give Sanchez a big target. I just wish the Jets were more of a youth movement instead of grabbing big name old men every year. The older guys have contributed but I think getting younger is always a posititve. I like Heap coming aboard though

Disagree,ever hear of 2 TE formations or using Keller in the slot. I know with Schotte its difficult but the possibilities are endless.

Talk is that they will open our offence this year, Heap would help a lot with options. I also read he was a good blocker. Will need help against Haynesworth if Haynesworth gets going. Close him REX!!!

I first thought This is the direct result of Tom Moore being a consultant, I believe that. Adam Schefter said the same thing on Twitter.

Anything that de-emphasizes Schotty's role, I'm all for it. Callahan also loves the two-TE sets.

I called this yesterday. Just saying.

You also said Keller is better than Zach Miller, which makes sense when you consider we're rolling out the red carpet for a 30+ year old beat up TE to augment Keller's ability to slip and fall while running routes.

Keller sucks.. Me likey

Keller needs someone like Heap to show him how to play with guts.

Personally, I like 2 TE sets - on both passing and running downs. Heap and Keller on the field at the same time, with Greene and Powell pounding the ball is the type of offense I was hoping we'd have this year. Heap and Hunter in as 2 TEs with Connor and 1 WR on the goal line? Sign me up.

I like Heap, I just hope his contract is A LOT less than whatever someone eventually pays Zach Miller.

You can't put two tight ends on the field at the same time. That's a penalty.

Agree. 1 TE (Tight End) is okay, and 3 TE's (Tight Ends) is okay also, but 2 TE's (Tight Ends) is a penalty.

You see it all the time really.

I like the idea of a TE-heavy Passing Game. It's good, safe, ball-control and goes well with the ground-n-pound ethic. And it's good for a young, not overly accurate, QB.

Still need help at WR (Cotch is not a #2 in this league), but adding Heap and using a PAts-style TE-Strong set here and there would be a solid move.

Only concern is his durabillity/health.

Word is we just signed Plaxico Buress too.

Holes/Burress/Keller/Heap is a decent enough group for Sanchez.

Assuming Buress can still play, and Heap stays healthy, and Holmes doesn't smoke up.

Wow, alot of if's, but reasonable if's IMO.

Nice, doubt he can stay healthy but still a good pick up and redzone target.

He's only missed three games in the last three years. I think the injury things gets overplayed because he was Baltimore's only receiving option for so long. When he went out, it basically ruined their entire offense.

Archived